NTDP Tryout Camp Roster Announced for 1997s

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

icehornet

NTDP Tryout Camp Roster Announced for 1997s

Post by icehornet »

http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/sho ... _id=666974

Congrats to the 5 MN kids invited!

Not that this forum needs another Tier I argument thread BUT the question begs would MN have more invites if Tier I was offered here? Only two other states had more:

8 from Michigan
6 from NY

I will also speculate that Alec Baer would have been invited had he not signed with Vancouver.
Air Force 1

Re: NTDP Tryout Camp Roster Announced for 1997s

Post by Air Force 1 »

icehornet wrote:http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/sho ... _id=666974

And 2 of the 5 MN kids are from EGF!
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

icehornet wrote:http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/sho ... _id=666974

Not that this forum needs another Tier I argument thread BUT the question begs would MN have more invites if Tier I was offered here? Only two other states had more:

8 from Michigan
6 from NY.
You would need to see the list of everyone who was offered an invitation to get an idea of where Ann Arbor thinks the talent is distributed. But this isn't that kind of list...it just tells us the names and hometowns of the 54 kids who accepted an invitation to try-out for NTDP.

So I think that you need to turn your question on top of its head....

Does the fact that there are fewer top-end MN kids who are willing to try-out for a team based in Michigan suggest that they are (generally speaking) more satisfied with their local hockey options than those kids who live in states that are dominated by Tier 1 programs?
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

almostashappy wrote: So I think that you need to turn your question on top of its head....

Does the fact that there are fewer top-end MN kids who are willing to try-out for a team based in Michigan suggest that they are (generally speaking) more satisfied with their local hockey options than those kids who live in states that are dominated by Tier 1 programs?
Great point and it would be interesting to see the full details on the initial invite list. Although if you're invited I don't see a whole lot of harm in attending the tryout. You can still decline the invite (if one is offered) and at least get a feel for that level of competition. If a kid/family automatically declines the invite to the tryout they likely closed a number of doors.
observer

Post by observer »

Congrats to all the players.

I think icehornet makes some valid points. I've heard they often invite players that may not have the same opportunity for development that the Minnesota players have. But, a lot of AAA team members which I assume have good development options or they wouldn't be where they are today. I think the days of inviting promising raw talent are over as there are so many outstanding youth players now that the raw project probably isn't getting the invites they used to.

Way to go to the players from Spring Lake Park and Henry Sibley Youth Associations!
Guru20

Post by Guru20 »

Congrats to these players huge accomplishment!

Does anyone know the story with Colin Gallagher?
I didn't see his name on the list for Advancing to St Cloud's Summer Camp last year. Maybe injured during tryouts? Maybe he just moved to MN? Pretty remarkable if the young man wasn't picked as one of the top 38 Defenseman in the state, and then is invited to NTDP.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

A tweet from ‏@LetsPlay_Hockey:
The announcement of NTDP Eval Camp invitees is the first time many HS coaches are hearing about their players possibly heading to Ann Arbor.
Well that's awkward, isn't it? :oops:
bemused

Post by bemused »

You can explain, rationalize, spin or keep your blinders on....
being tied with Missouri is brutal!
WCHBlog

Post by WCHBlog »

almostashappy wrote:A tweet from ‏@LetsPlay_Hockey:
The announcement of NTDP Eval Camp invitees is the first time many HS coaches are hearing about their players possibly heading to Ann Arbor.
Maybe it has something to do with how "many HS coaches" handle that sort of news?
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

bemused wrote:You can explain, rationalize, spin or keep your blinders on....
being tied with Missouri is brutal!
+1

Absolutely ridiculous.

Prep schools and AAA programs dominate the list.

Can't bury our heads in the sand making excuses, MN Hockey needs to be proactive about the evolving landscape in youth development.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

WCHBlog wrote:
almostashappy wrote:A tweet from ‏@LetsPlay_Hockey:
Maybe it has something to do with how "many HS coaches" handle that sort of news?
Yeah, I suppose...although one of these coaches (cough-Pauly-cough) shouldn't mind losing a kid to NTDP. After all, going to Ann Arbor doesn't screw up NCAA eligibility, and, "A trip to a college is in keeping with the overall mission and vision of high school athletics." :)
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

Add Novak to the 5 Minnesotans. I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the team. Great Player.
observer

Post by observer »

Add Novak to the 5 Minnesotans. I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the team. Great Player.
I wonder why he wasn't listed? Late add because someone else declined the invite to the tryout?

Kids get invited that don't accept. Do you think he'll accept if invited?
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

This is the list for the camp...not sure any kid would refuse to attend this if asked, its great exposure. I'm not sure I can recall very many kids refuse to attend this part of the process. Actually accepting the final 20 spot has been turned down before, not the camp. Congrats to all that made the list, its a great accomplishment.

You can't ingore the fact that the list is dominated by Tier 1 kids...
notahockeyguy

Post by notahockeyguy »

I wonder if people know that there is a 50000.00 buyout if you quit before you are done. You leave for any reason before your class graduates and you pay.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

observer wrote:
I wonder why he wasn't listed? Late add because someone else declined the invite to the tryout?

Kids get invited that don't accept. Do you think he'll accept if invited?
He's on the list. His hometown is River Falls, WI so maybe the original poster didn't catch that there are 6 who played in MN last year.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

He's a WISCONSIN kid.
observer

Post by observer »

Ah, we shouldn't need to tell you this but that's the only hockey there is in those markets.
puckster15

Post by puckster15 »

STA could be in for a rough year next year if Novak leaves. Lose 12 or 13 seniors, including top goalie, and Novak and go up to AA.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:This is the list for the camp...not sure any kid would refuse to attend this if asked, its great exposure. I'm not sure I can recall very many kids refuse to attend this part of the process. Actually accepting the final 20 spot has been turned down before, not the camp. Congrats to all that made the list, its a great accomplishment.

TITCR
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

DubCHAGuy wrote: He's on the list. His hometown is River Falls, WI so maybe the original poster didn't catch that there are 6 who played in MN last year.
There's also a kid that played at SSM that isn't from MN....there are only 5 kids from MN on this list. Novak is from WI and I'm certain they would claim him.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

icehornet wrote:There's also a kid that played at SSM that isn't from MN....there are only 5 kids from MN on this list. Novak is from WI and I'm certain they would claim him.
The Shattuck kid lives here.
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

thestickler07 wrote: The Shattuck kid lives here.
You mean the kid that is listed from Potsdam, NY? Does he live here other than to go to SSM?
F Jordan Greenway Potsdam, N.Y. Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.)
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

observer wrote:
Ah, we shouldn't need to tell you this but that's the only hockey there is in those markets.
I didn't see the list as being "dominated" by anything at all.

If you are from - MINNESOTA - you were probably playing - HS HOCKEY.

MICHIGAN - MINOR MIDGET (all one team!)
NEW ENGLAND - PREP SCHOOL
NY/NJ - JUNIOR HOCKEY
SUN BELT - "AAA" teams that play entirely on the road

More than anything, the kids seem to play whatever option is the best available to them.
Be kind. Rewind.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

icehornet wrote:You mean the kid that is listed from Potsdam, NY? Does he live here other than to go to SSM?
F Jordan Greenway Potsdam, N.Y. Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.)
He lives in Minnesota a majority of the year if he's going to boarding school.