Hockey Day Minnesota 2014

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

easton18

Hockey Day Minnesota 2014

Post by easton18 »

Per the Wild, the location of HDM 2014 will be announced tomorrow during the Wild pregame show on FSN. Anyone have an educated (or uneducated for that matter) guess on the location? If you could choose the location where would you want to have HDM 2014?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

It will be in Elk River, I think they were waiting on the NHL schedule and getting a date. Opponent and other teams involved also needed to be set up.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

alcloseshaver wrote:It will be in Elk River, I think they were waiting on the NHL schedule and getting a date. Opponent and other teams involved also needed to be set up.
I heard they were waiting for a confirmation from Tony Sarsland if he would be the keynote speaker at the banquet?
stpaul

HDM 2014

Post by stpaul »

Confirmed on the Wild pre-game show on FSN. Excellent choice.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Awesome
frozenponds

Post by frozenponds »

The "pit" will be an incredible scene with 2000 fans surrounded the sheets of ice. Protected from any weather. Excellent venue choice.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Rumor out there that Edina was approached about playing Elk River but Giles is not that interested in it. Would be great to have to ex NHLer's have their teams face off. The venue will be unique and allow for a big crowd. Have the Wild play Pittsburg and bring in Martin and Crosby for an appearance?
nahlscout99

Post by nahlscout99 »

Elk River vs Roseau

Duluth East vs Hill Murray
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Is that official? If so that looks to be some great matchups.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

nahlscout99 wrote:Elk River vs Roseau

Duluth East vs Hill Murray
Follows the trend, if they went to the AA runner-up after Edina turned them down. Good match-ups, though.

As for the venue? While the site might have historic significance, nobody is going to mistake it for scenic Pokegama Lake...

Here's Elk River's sales pitch for hosting the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOga61ZAgw
observer

Post by observer »

I was thinking downtown on the river would have been a more interesting and fun choice. Bars, restaurants, etc.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The pit is walking distance from downtown. I appreciate the scenic lake take but this venue will be great and is close to the metro. No chance of the wind blown lake game this year that was endured.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

alcloseshaver wrote:The pit is walking distance from downtown. I appreciate the scenic lake take but this venue will be great and is close to the metro. No chance of the wind blown lake game this year that was endured.
True, but there was also near 100% chance of playing outdoors on good ice up there. Don't suppose that upgrading to an outdoor refrigerated sheet was part of Elk River's proposal?
Gems

Teams

Post by Gems »

When do they announce the teams? :D
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

No artificial ice in the plans, at the mercy of Mother Nature. Using the Mississippi might be a problem since it doesn't freeze over very often at the confluence of the Elk and Mississipi in downtown ER.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Elk River Vs Stillwater Official
Gems

Post by Gems »

alcloseshaver wrote:Elk River Vs Stillwater Official
That's great to hear thanks...who are the other teams? :D
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Where did you see this as official al? Gordie Roberts vs Phil Housley
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

I heard ER announced it at their end of season banquet.
Rochester Lourdes is one of the 4 teams, not sure who they are playing though. Does anyone have the 4th team?
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

I heard it was Cloquet vs Rochester Lourdes
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

Hockey North wrote:I heard it was Cloquet vs Rochester Lourdes
No offense to next years squad, but why Lourdes? Why this year when they could have had a good team any of the last 4 years
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Venue and teams come nowhere close to what Grand Rapids did on Pokegama. If ER vs Stillwater is accurate, I can already hear the emphasis being on two former NHL players and not kids/amateur hockey. I'd vote for Hockey Day being played every year up north.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

alcloseshaver wrote:Rumor out there that Edina was approached about playing Elk River but Giles is not that interested in it. Would be great to have to ex NHLer's have their teams face off. The venue will be unique and allow for a big crowd. Have the Wild play Pittsburg and bring in Martin and Crosby for an appearance?
Giles is a smart dude. Why risk one of your players getting injured on a sheet of lousy ice? I'm not sure what's harder to believe, that they're playing this game as far south as Elk River, or that this annual farce still takes place. Getting back to our roots, with $500 skates and $300 sticks. Oh boy, I just love nostalgia. More like fauxstalgia.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Giles is a smart dude. Why risk one of your players getting injured on a sheet of lousy ice? I'm not sure what's harder to believe, that they're playing this game as far south as Elk River, or that this annual farce still takes place. Getting back to our roots, with $500 skates and $300 sticks. Oh boy, I just love nostalgia. More like fauxstalgia.
:roll:
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Rumor out there that Edina was approached about playing Elk River but Giles is not that interested in it. Would be great to have to ex NHLer's have their teams face off. The venue will be unique and allow for a big crowd. Have the Wild play Pittsburg and bring in Martin and Crosby for an appearance?
Giles is a smart dude. Why risk one of your players getting injured on a sheet of lousy ice? I'm not sure what's harder to believe, that they're playing this game as far south as Elk River, or that this annual farce still takes place. Getting back to our roots, with $500 skates and $300 sticks. Oh boy, I just love nostalgia. More like fauxstalgia.
Oh and Hill Murray with unlimited recruiting and the ability to create super teams are bringing us back to our hockey roots... Oh the irony :shock: