state tournament officiating

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

duluth dave

state tournament officiating

Post by duluth dave »

Is it just me, or do the bad calls or no calls seem to go against northern teams always? Hermantown this year Duluths east goal in overtime vs apple valley which no one seemed to see but was posted in the net in the duluth paper. Or the game winning goal buy Hill Murray against East that was at least 5 feet offside in the third period. Excuse me if I don,t remember the years. Grand rapids leaading Bloomington Jefferson in the third period late delay of game with Grand Rapids in the Bloomington End for shooting the puck over the boards?
WarmUpTheBus

Re: state tournament officiating

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

duluth dave wrote:Is it just me, or do the bad calls or no calls seem to go against northern teams always? Hermantown this year Duluths east goal in overtime vs apple valley which no one seemed to see but was posted in the net in the duluth paper. Or the game winning goal buy Hill Murray against East that was at least 5 feet offside in the third period. Excuse me if I don,t remember the years. Grand rapids leaading Bloomington Jefferson in the third period late delay of game with Grand Rapids in the Bloomington End for shooting the puck over the boards?
It's just you.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Duluth Dave you are seeing a trend that sure has some backing in bad calls that is for sure. Of course if you are from Apply Valley and the city for St. Thomas you think the officiating is fantastic.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I guess they don't use refs from the north in the state tournament?
blindref

Post by blindref »

The referees in the Hermantown/ St. Thomas game grew up in East Grand Forks and Fargo.
They have both worked multiple State Tournaments and one worked the WCHA for years.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

blindref wrote:The referees in the Hermantown/ St. Thomas game grew up in East Grand Forks and Fargo.
They have both worked multiple State Tournaments and one worked the WCHA for years.
Well, that explains it. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

blindref wrote:The referees in the Hermantown/ St. Thomas game grew up in East Grand Forks and Fargo.
Yes, but you must tell the whole story. The ref from Fargo dated a girl from Hermantown in college at NDSU and she left him for the Resident Advisor. One of the linesman was in the Hermantown Wal-Mart 4 years ago and thought one of the greeters at the door gave him a condescending look. The other ref had his son's skates sharpened at Stauber Brothers once and swears he got a bad edge, costing his son a Division 1 scholarship. All three of them swore they would get even someday and sure enough.............
GolfGuy7900

Post by GolfGuy7900 »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Yes, but you must tell the whole story. The ref from Fargo dated a girl from Hermantown in college at NDSU and she left him for the Resident Advisor. One of the linesman was in the Hermantown Wal-Mart 4 years ago and thought one of the greeters at the door gave him a condescending look. The other ref had his son's skates sharpened at Stauber Brothers once and swears he got a bad edge, costing his son a Division 1 scholarship. All three of them swore they would get even someday and sure enough.............
\:D/
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

would have to agree Dave its just you.
Deck Slide

Post by Deck Slide »

east hockey wrote:

Lee
DITTO...

The refs in the WCHA over the years have been sub par to say the least!!
nahc

Post by nahc »

Duluth Dave: Totally agree. Not sure how to fix. Previous threads have discussed this exact topic......during the season is bad enough but it is so glaring in the State Tourney.......and almost laughable to hear 45's commentators try to defend the calls........
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

I was surprised by number of northern home towns claimed for the officiating crew members at the state tournament. That doesn't address the issue of a bias against northern teams, but collectively as a group, it suggests if there is a bias, it is not systematic. Of course, that does not eliminate the potential for individual biases.

An interesting, viscerally satisfying topic, but short of an in-depth, quantitative analysis, probably not leading to any constructive ends...
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
nota612er

Post by nota612er »

east hockey wrote:

Lee
This one made me laugh...the first comment my high school aged daughter said to me after the STA/Hermantown game was "Is that ref's last name Sheppard?!"...gotta love hockey sisters, they know the game!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

nota612er wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
This one made me laugh...the first comment my high school aged daughter said to me after the STA/Hermantown game was "Is that ref's last name Sheppard?!"...gotta love hockey sisters, they know the game!
Sheppard came to mind with me, also. :lol:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Big or small, any close hockey game usually comes down to questionable officiating for one of the teams..

Been that way as long as I can remember.

A wise man here said it best. Championship teams don't put themselves in a position to "lose" on a bad call from the officials.. Or something similar to that.
observer

Post by observer »

They had dinner reservations.
Sartellcelly

Post by Sartellcelly »

FWIW from another chat string on this board:

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
I do apologize for being a bit late...

Power Play
Edina 3/4 (Opponent 2/9) -5
Hill-Murray 1/10 (Opp. 3/9) +1
Duluth East 1/7 (Opp. 1/5) +2
Wayzata 2/12 (Opp. 1/13) -1
Moorhead 3/17 (Opp. 3/14) +3
Eastview 2/17 (Opp. 4/18 -1
Lakeville North 4/9 (Opp. 3/9) 0
Centennial 2/11 (Opp. 0/10) +1

Thanks for the stats.

Why did the Northern schools get more power play opportunities than the metro teams?
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

I did not refer to number of calls, I meant bad calls non calls and game deciding calls.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

duluth dave wrote:I did not refer to number of calls, I meant bad calls non calls and game deciding calls.
Your judgement of those is as subjective as the official calls out on the ice! How are you going to measure them objectively?

Answer: you can't!
57special

Post by 57special »

The only time one can be sure of biased reffing in MN is when a Metro team plays up north against a northern team. The only exception to that rule I've found is in Roseau.
nota612er

Post by nota612er »

57special wrote:The only time one can be sure of biased reffing in MN is when a Metro team plays up north against a northern team. The only exception to that rule I've found is in Roseau.
I'm not sure about the Roseau comment, but your point is dead on. Is it coincidence that a rather (in)famous bar in Hibbing called the "Homer" is only a few blocks away from the Memorial Building?! :D
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

It is still interesting to me that a week after the tournament is over grown men (I'm assuming here) are doing exactly what we spend year trying to teach young children not to do.
It is even more interesting to me that many are doing this publicly and few are questioning them.

"Championship teams don't put themselves in a position to "lose" on a bad call from the officials.. Or something similar to that."
Hmmm... 8)
blueblood

HSHW

Post by blueblood »

HSHW:

A few questions for you:

1) do have a real job? :wink:

2) are you alerted to every blog posting related to private school hs hockey :shock:

2) don't you know when to quit when you're ahead... ](*,)

3) if you call the penalty on the hermantown Dman with <2 minutes to go, how do you not call the calf-roping horse collar by the STA player? =;
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

HShockeywatcher wrote:It is still interesting to me that a week after the tournament is over grown men (I'm assuming here) are doing exactly what we spend year trying to teach young children not to do.
It is even more interesting to me that many are doing this publicly and few are questioning them.

"Championship teams don't put themselves in a position to "lose" on a bad call from the officials.. Or something similar to that."
Hmmm... 8)
A Triple A Private Metro All-Star Team beat a small town, small school class a community team by 1 goal on the power play after questionable officiating.
A team that you had ranked out of or bottom of the top 10 for most of the season.
Kind of a joke that that was the best your private all-stars with kids from all over the Midwest could do.
Hermantown was the true champions of that game regardless of what the score was. STA -plastic team, plastic trophy. 8)
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

I started this thread on actual calls made in state tournament games. I would like to ask the metro crew to name me some games were metro teams lost games "In the state tournament" to a northern team on a bad or decisive call.