Tommy Novak

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GopherHockey

Tommy Novak

Post by GopherHockey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Tommy Novak committed to the Gophers per his twitter account

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Congrats to him.

Good get by the Gophers, he'll look good in maroon and gold.

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Congrats to Tommy AND the Gophs!

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:53 pm

thestickler07 wrote:Congrats to him.

Good get by the Gophers, he'll look good in maroon and gold.
OMG!!! It's me and thestickler -agreeing? Slap me! :lol:

WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Great get for the Gophers. Very talented, has a knack for putting the puck in the net. I thought he was the best player in the state tournament.

hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:21 am

Can't wait to watch the huskies knock him around in a few years :lol:

Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 am

Awesome for Tommy.

"Now if we can just get him to go to the USHL next year"...Section 3AA

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:00 am

Just curious. what were his stats at CDH the past couple of years? I've only seem him play twice ('12 Championship, and '11 vs HM) and what stood out to me was the fact that he never passed (or even looked to pass). Great shot, stick handling, and skating. But, then again, Jake Hanson didn't pass much in High School either, and he obviously developed it in the USHL and at the Gopher's.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am

Great hockey player with a very special skill set. Gophers should be very happy to get him after missing on Gersich.

oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:54 am

BodyShots wrote:Just curious. what were his stats at CDH the past couple of years? I've only seem him play twice ('12 Championship, and '11 vs HM) and what stood out to me was the fact that he never passed (or even looked to pass). Great shot, stick handling, and skating. But, then again, Jake Hanson didn't pass much in High School either, and he obviously developed it in the USHL and at the Gopher's.
It was STA not CDH. I don't know (other than on the Hub) but he was at the top of his team in points with 47 (25g, 22a) as a Soph!!

He is a puck possession player with a ton of skill and not a pass first kind of style (and it works for him). He did tie the team lead for assists with 22 which tells me that he can make a play of two for someone else.

We will have to follow his progress in Ann Arbor for the next two years but I'm sure he will develop into another phenomenal player for the Gophers. Best of luck to the kid!!

puckster15

Post by puckster15 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:11 pm

So the assumption is that Novak will go to Michigan? Why not follow Besse footsteps and stay?

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Bonehead wrote:OMG!!! It's me and thestickler -agreeing? Slap me! :lol:
If you like the Gophers you won't mind me on that front. 8)

If you're a fan of JBSU or dUMD I'll probably get further under your skin.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:34 pm

puckster15 wrote:So the assumption is that Novak will go to Michigan? Why not follow Besse footsteps and stay?
Well, he accepted the invitation to evaluation camp, and it seems at least possible that a)he'd be offered a spot and b) he'd accept it and go.

Which is kind of a shame, speaking selfishly. It would have been fun to watch him play two more years of MN high school hockey.

Maybe the lure of a AA state ship would keep him around? Doubt it though.

oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:
puckster15 wrote:So the assumption is that Novak will go to Michigan? Why not follow Besse footsteps and stay?
Well, he accepted the invitation to evaluation camp, and it seems at least possible that a)he'd be offered a spot and b) he'd accept it and go.

Which is kind of a shame, speaking selfishly. It would have been fun to watch him play two more years of MN high school hockey.

It would be great to see him stay.

What would you do? Stay in MN and play for the most hated team in MSHSL history and be ripped apart every day...or play for your Country?! I don't have any personal knowledge but I would assume that he would play in Michigan next year.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:17 pm

oldschoolpuckster wrote:
BodyShots wrote:Just curious. what were his stats at CDH the past couple of years? I've only seem him play twice ('12 Championship, and '11 vs HM) and what stood out to me was the fact that he never passed (or even looked to pass). Great shot, stick handling, and skating. But, then again, Jake Hanson didn't pass much in High School either, and he obviously developed it in the USHL and at the Gopher's.
It was STA not CDH. I don't know (other than on the Hub) but he was at the top of his team in points with 47 (25g, 22a) as a Soph!!

He is a puck possession player with a ton of skill and not a pass first kind of style (and it works for him). He did tie the team lead for assists with 22 which tells me that he can make a play of two for someone else.

We will have to follow his progress in Ann Arbor for the next two years but I'm sure he will develop into another phenomenal player for the Gophers. Best of luck to the kid!!
Never pass? :lol:

He was by far the best passer on the team. He passed all the time. He has some amazing sense of where his teammates are on the ice and got them the puck at the most opportune times often.
Not really sure how anyone could say a guy who led his team in assists, and ended up finishing the season with more assists than goals (28-29-57), doesn't pass.

He clearly likes to score and is good at it, but he is one of the most selfless, good players I have seen. Getting the puck in the net is most important, not who scores the goal.

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:21 pm

oldschoolpuckster wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:

It would be great to see him stay.

What would you do? Stay in MN and play for the most hated team in MSHSL history and be ripped apart every day...or play for your Country?! I don't have any personal knowledge but I would assume that he would play in Michigan next year.
Don't overlook Conner Hurley here! :lol:

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:49 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
oldschoolpuckster wrote:

Never pass? :lol:

He was by far the best passer on the team. He passed all the time. He has some amazing sense of where his teammates are on the ice and got them the puck at the most opportune times often.
Not really sure how anyone could say a guy who led his team in assists, and ended up finishing the season with more assists than goals (28-29-57), doesn't pass.

He clearly likes to score and is good at it, but he is one of the most selfless, good players I have seen. Getting the puck in the net is most important, not who scores the goal.
Well said. If a great passer sets up a non finisher neither gets a point.
If an average passer sets up a great finisher both get a point. Never undervalue a great finisher.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:59 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote:Never undervalue a great finisher.
Yep, the WCHA is full of great passers. But most of the great finishers don't play all four years.

celly93

Post by celly93 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:51 pm

"St. Thomas Academy hockey coaches say sophomore Gophers commit Tommy Novak will be a Cadet next season" -David La Vaque of the Star Tribune, via Twitter.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Mich is a long way from home Mn kids have plenty of hockey here !!!

Hermmunster58

Post by Hermmunster58 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 am

Congratulations to young Mr. Novak, quite a honor and accomplisment! Such a talent and will be fun to watch his progress in the future. I'm still recovering from the dagger he put in my heart a week ago. Good luck young man!

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:13 am

Good job kid! A real pleassure watching you in the State Tournament the last couple years. Love to see you in the AA event as well ... or the NTDP ... good luck which ever way you go and can't wait to see you in Maroon & Gold!
"See ya in another life brother"

shyt

Post by shyt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Well he is from River falls Wisconsin, so Michigan isn't quite as far for him.