Calling all scouts - Top Prospects From AA State Tourney

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
lruff
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Calling all scouts - Top Prospects From AA State Tourney

Post by lruff » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Any scouts, ex-scouts out there that can project top 10 JR and Top 10 Sr prospects F/D from the just completed AA tourney.. Interested to see if any players stock rose or fell based on tourney performance.. Mainly curious about the forwards in these classes but included D as well.. Thanks Much.

LRuff

Bonehead
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:48 am

Post by Bonehead » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Putting together a shopping list? :shock:

GatorLand
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Post by GatorLand » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:26 am

Good news for Tier 1 players...NHL scouts do not attend the MSHSL Hockey tourney and do not change their rankings bases on this tournament. This probably explains why all top juniors and seniors leave. The MSHSL tourney may be cute to watch on tv, but the real players are not there. Camarrata, Guentzel, etc

Bonin2121
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Post by Bonin2121 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 am

GatorLand wrote:NHL scouts do not attend the MSHSL Hockey tourney and do not change their rankings bases on this tournament.
You know this how?

PuckU126
Posts: 3768
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:20 am

A number of USHL scouts attend.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Hermhawkey
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Post by Hermhawkey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:45 pm

GatorLand wrote:Good news for Tier 1 players...NHL scouts do not attend the MSHSL Hockey tourney and do not change their rankings bases on this tournament. This probably explains why all top juniors and seniors leave. The MSHSL tourney may be cute to watch on tv, but the real players are not there. Camarrata, Guentzel, etc
??? I sat next to an Ottawa Senators scout at the DE vs. Edina game. Very nice guy. Shared lots of info.

Roy01
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Post by Roy01 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Scouts are there, we get Mike McGraw every year! :lol:

Bonehead
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:48 am

Post by Bonehead » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Roy01 wrote:Scouts are there, we get Mike McGraw every year! :lol:
Hope he's a better scout than TV personality!

slacsap
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 am

Post by slacsap » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Contrary to what gatorland may believe, there are a number of NHL scouts at the tournament every year. I think he's probably right that teh scouts do not alter their rankings much due to the tournament, but that's probably true of any small number of games.

xy
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Post by xy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:55 pm

So, even though NHL scouts do attend regular season game high school games, which I think no one disputes, they then don't attend the state tournament, when they would in theory have the best teams and players facing each other, in a situation with lots of pressure which might reveal some things about players? I'll grant that NHL front offices aren't always known for foresight and rational thought, but this theory makes absolutely no sense at all.

And obviously there's been a drain to Ann Arbor, the USHL, and other places, but just off the top of my head, since 2010 Bjugstad, Rau, Seeler, Novak, Fogarty, Hurley, Malmquist, and Joey Anderson, all of whom were either fairly high picks or are quite likely to be, have all played in the tournament. Not sure the "real players" comment makes a lot of sense either (especially since one player you cite, Cammarata, didn't even make the latest Central Scouting list, although size was pretty obviously the reason for that).

rudy
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 am

scouts

Post by rudy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:33 pm

I saw a Buffalo Sabres scout at the State Tournament.

Deck Slide
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Post by Deck Slide » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:53 pm

GatorLand wrote:Good news for Tier 1 players...NHL scouts do not attend the MSHSL Hockey tourney and do not change their rankings bases on this tournament. This probably explains why all top juniors and seniors leave. The MSHSL tourney may be cute to watch on tv, but the real players are not there. Camarrata, Guentzel, etc

This complete hog wash.. Numerous NHL scouts attend the Tourney every year. The tournament may not change their rankings but each individual NHL team and scout has a board and players are sliding up and down their board throughout the year!! Gatorland your comments are dead wrong!!

old goalie85
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Isnt Marty Nanne a scout for the Wild ?? He was there !!!

EHSHack
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:09 pm

Post by EHSHack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:40 pm

xy wrote:So, even though NHL scouts do attend regular season game high school games, which I think no one disputes, they then don't attend the state tournament, when they would in theory have the best teams and players facing each other, in a situation with lots of pressure which might reveal some things about players? I'll grant that NHL front offices aren't always known for foresight and rational thought, but this theory makes absolutely no sense at all.

And obviously there's been a drain to Ann Arbor, the USHL, and other places, but just off the top of my head, since 2010 Bjugstad, Rau, Seeler, Novak, Fogarty, Hurley, Malmquist, and Joey Anderson, all of whom were either fairly high picks or are quite likely to be, have all played in the tournament. Not sure the "real players" comment makes a lot of sense either (especially since one player you cite, Cammarata, didn't even make the latest Central Scouting list, although size was pretty obviously the reason for that).
Obviously the biggest name you are missing is Nick Leddy.
Go Hounds.

xy
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Post by xy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:19 pm

As I said, it was just off the top of my head - I'm sure there's more. Hudson Fasching played in the tournament as a ninth-grader as well.

PuckRanger
Posts: 1825
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:15 am
Location: Iron Range
Contact:

Post by PuckRanger » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 pm

GatorLand wrote:Good news for Tier 1 players...NHL scouts do not attend the MSHSL Hockey tourney and do not change their rankings bases on this tournament. This probably explains why all top juniors and seniors leave. The MSHSL tourney may be cute to watch on tv, but the real players are not there. Camarrata, Guentzel, etc
This couldn't be any more inaccurate... in all regards. :roll:

Post Reply