'93 Jags (28-0)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

'93 Jags (28-0)

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

I didn't see them in this year's program so thought it appropriate to commemorate them. Like Centennial '04, you knew you saw something that would happen maybe once or twice in your lifetime. For them it was their defense. =D>
I can splash in the rink puddles!
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

"We had all four defensemen and all six forwards get Division I scholarships," Jaguars coach Tom Saterdalen said. "[Future Gopher] Mike Anderson and [future NHL standout] Mark Parrish were sophomores on our fourth line."
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I would say they are the best team in the history of hs hockey! Totally dominant!
gitter

Post by gitter »

mulefarm wrote:I would say they are the best team in the history of hs hockey! Totally dominant!
In the modern era I've seen nothing like it. I just looked at the 93 Tourney program - 27 of 28 games (including their march through the state tournament) were won by 3 or more goals. That isn't just winning - that is man-handling every team you play.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Unreal team! Unreal group that did what they did.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

I remember in the semis when Elk River got a goal off a deflection of a Jefferson player. My uncle, and ER fan, was excited and optimistic. I said something like, 'Well, that's the last goal they'll get.' I was right. They outshot them 27-9. :lol:

I also remember in '91 or 92 their JV team played at Aldrich. They outshot White Bear that night something like 41-8.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
deacon

Post by deacon »

They also did it in the best uni's of all time
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

deacon wrote:They also did it in the best uni's of all time
What???
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

deacon wrote:They also did it in the best uni's of all time
Absolutely they did!
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Best team all time

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

I see that someone is trying to get an early advantage for your favorite team. There are a lot of great teams In the past that could take them down. Maybe not till the final 19 but anything can happen. Grand rapids, Eveleth teams, Edina, There were other undefeated teams you know. How about other thoughts.
gitter

Re: Best team all time

Post by gitter »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:I see that someone is trying to get an early advantage for your favorite team. There are a lot of great teams In the past that could take them down. Maybe not till the final 19 but anything can happen. Grand rapids, Eveleth teams, Edina, There were other undefeated teams you know. How about other thoughts.
I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about the fact it was the 20 year anniversary for that team and they weren't in the State Program this year. Please go back to your make believe tournament, there's nothing for you to see here apparently.
howilu

Post by howilu »

As a 1980 Jefferson graduate and long-time fan, the Jaguars were one of the best teams of all-time. They were well coached by Tom Saterdalen and John Bianchi and and a team oriented style of play that included outstanding goaltending. There were no stars on Jefferson. They all worked together and it was a key to the team's success that resulted in three consecutive state titles.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

howilu wrote:As a 1980 Jefferson graduate and long-time fan, the Jaguars were one of the best teams of all-time. They were well coached by Tom Saterdalen and John Bianchi and and a team oriented style of play that included outstanding goaltending. There were no stars on Jefferson. They all worked together and it was a key to the team's success that resulted in three consecutive state titles.
No stars hah? Tell that to the 3 Bianchi's, 2 Trebils, Ian and Toby Peterson, Tom Pederson, Jeff Saterdalen, Tom Kurvers, Ben Clymer, Mike Crowley, Nick Checcho, Brian Lafluer, Mike Anderson, Mark Parrish, Josh DeWolf, Steve Ludwig, Jay North, etc. I realize all of these guys didn't play on their 3 consecutive championship team, but Joey Bianchi, The Trebils, Ian and Toby, Clymer, Crowley, Checcho, Lafluer, Anderson, Parrish, Dewolf, Ludwig and some I'm sure I forgot had something to do with at least 1 of those 3. Definitely would say they were stars.
Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad »

This Jag's team was super talented. Too bad Moorhead had one of its best teams ever that year with Cullen and Kraft.

Moorhead's only regular season loss was to the Jags in the Holiday championship game at the Met Center.

This was the best high school game that I have ever watched.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Sats81 wrote:
howilu wrote:As a 1980 Jefferson graduate and long-time fan, the Jaguars were one of the best teams of all-time. They were well coached by Tom Saterdalen and John Bianchi and and a team oriented style of play that included outstanding goaltending. There were no stars on Jefferson. They all worked together and it was a key to the team's success that resulted in three consecutive state titles.
No stars hah? Tell that to the 3 Bianchi's, 2 Trebils, Ian and Toby Peterson, Tom Pederson, Jeff Saterdalen, Tom Kurvers, Ben Clymer, Mike Crowley, Nick Checcho, Brian Lafluer, Mike Anderson, Mark Parrish, Josh DeWolf, Steve Ludwig, Jay North, etc. I realize all of these guys didn't play on their 3 consecutive championship team, but Joey Bianchi, The Trebils, Ian and Toby, Clymer, Crowley, Checcho, Lafluer, Anderson, Parrish, Dewolf, Ludwig and some I'm sure I forgot had something to do with at least 1 of those 3. Definitely would say they were stars.
Thats what I was thinking - no stars???. 10 players played D-1 on that team (and off the top of my head, Parrish, Clymer, Peterson, and Crowley all had stints in the NHL of varying lengths) and they aren't stars? Of course that's the way it would appear when EVERYONE on the team is as good as the next guy.

The goaltending was the weakest point on the team - their defense was so good they didn't allow shots. Toby Kvalevog from Bemidji had all of 3 wins that year and went on to a 4-year career at UND, Koeppl of Jefferson played about 20 games in the USHL.

I just don't know if you'll ever see another MN high school team that has 10 D1 players and 4 NHLers in the same season.
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

gitter wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Thats what I was thinking - no stars???. 10 players played D-1 on that team (and off the top of my head, Parrish, Clymer, Peterson, and Crowley all had stints in the NHL of varying lengths) and they aren't stars? Of course that's the way it would appear when EVERYONE on the team is as good as the next guy.

The goaltending was the weakest point on the team - their defense was so good they didn't allow shots. Toby Kvalevog from Bemidji had all of 3 wins that year and went on to a 4-year career at UND, Koeppl of Jefferson played about 20 games in the USHL.

I just don't know if you'll ever see another MN high school team that has 10 D1 players and 4 NHLers in the same season.
There will never be a team again.
The best, period
gitter

Post by gitter »

Goalie-Dad wrote:This Jag's team was super talented. Too bad Moorhead had one of its best teams ever that year with Cullen and Kraft.

Moorhead's only regular season loss was to the Jags in the Holiday championship game at the Met Center.

This was the best high school game that I have ever watched.
Moorhead has a great team that year and so did Cloquet with Langenbrunner, Mrozik, Petrov, etc. I believe they had 1 NHL, 4 D1 players, and 2 that went to Bemidji St when they were D2. That 6-5 Cloquet/Moorhead QF game was quite the entertainment. In the end, neither of these teams held a candle to Jefferson though.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Real tournament

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Actually I have attended every tournament for the last fifteen years. Every game AA and A. I watched them and enjoyed watching a lot of great teams none of which hold a candle to that team. I included STA in that statement. I don't care how many straight championships they win with their all star private money and recruiting.
cigar

Post by cigar »

by far the best high school team i have ever seen.

no one really came close. complete domination.

very talented..

but its greatness was how unselfish they played... they probably could have averaged 60 shots a game but the way they passed the puck and set up people was amazing...

the way they broke out of its zone with crisp passing was amazing.

few teams would get over 10 shots a game against them, and most of those shots were so low quality..
HShockeywatcher

Re: Real tournament

Post by HShockeywatcher »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Actually I have attended every tournament for the last fifteen years. Every game AA and A. I watched them and enjoyed watching a lot of great teams none of which hold a candle to that team. I included STA in that statement. I don't care how many straight championships they win with their all star private money and recruiting.
It's impossible to know, but how would that team do against our teams now?
Relative to who they played, they were awesome, likely to a point that won't be matched again. (How about compared to the early Eveleth teams?) But how would that team do on the ice against teams today? Players today on average are bigger, stronger and faster than players of before, across the board.

Would that team as it was be able to compete with our good teams today?
Would they go toe to toe with Edina? Or would Centennial give them a run for their money?
cigar

Post by cigar »

HShockeywatcher,

i don't mean any disrespect to you or any of the teams you mention...

but, the teams you mention would not have come close.

one can debate who had more talent or how supposedly the players today might be bigger, faster, stronger, whatever....

there has not been a team since the late 60's (how long i have been watching) that had the ability to know where everyone was on the ice at all times and be able to get the puck on the tape of the most opportune person.

i have not seen a team on any level move the puck like this team did.

this team could have seriously played its entire schedule without a goalie and may have won more games than it would have lost.
gitter

Re: Real tournament

Post by gitter »

HShockeywatcher wrote: Players today on average are bigger, stronger and faster than players of before, across the board.
Would that team as it was be able to compete with our good teams today?
Would they go toe to toe with Edina? Or would Centennial give them a run for their money?
93 wasn't that long ago. Crowley was their smallest D and he was 5'11. Don't forget that today's NHL is faster a stronger than ever, and there are still a handful of guys from this era that are playing in it (Langenbrunner, Cullen, Toby Peterson, Clymer retired a couple seasons ago), so to suggest that these guys couldn't keep up with the 16-18 year olds today is kind of hogwash. Cripe Langenbrunner has a bad hip and at 38 is still faster than all those high school kids in the state tournament, and he's 11 years past his prime!

Now when you're talking Eveleth from the 40's, that becomes a different story.