Use of instant replay to suspend kids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

green4

Use of instant replay to suspend kids

Post by green4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:41 pm

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/21 ... g.facebook

Okay first off i know this is a Junior Gold event and i have posted this in that forum to talk about the fight, the game and the unfortunate event of kids missing the state final, so if your interested in that go over there to talk about it.

But over here i want to discuss the fact of the use of instant replay to suspend kids. There is a big difference between the junior gold league and high school obviously and im not really sure how High school does suspensions but Junior gold basically goes by what the refs say so i wondering if that is the case for High school? Do people like the idea of using replay to suspend kids for hits? for fights? Especially now with the use of watching games online. What our peoples thoughts?

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Poor ol edina looking bad in the spotlight! :)

blueblood

Edina vs. Blaine

Post by blueblood » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 pm

There are consequences to fighting in a youth hockey game. Whether or not video was used is not the point. [-(

Just becasue they are "almighty" Edina doesnt give them a free pass to get out of jail... [-X

inthestands

Post by inthestands » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 pm

It sounds like the most correct outcome was the end result after the on ice officials reviewed a television broadcast video of the game.

Appears as the referee's calls checked and reinforced for accuracy, which should be a good thing?

green4

Re: Edina vs. Blaine

Post by green4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 pm

blueblood wrote:There are consequences to fighting in a youth hockey game. Whether or not video was used is not the point. [-(

Just becasue they are "almighty" Edina doesnt give them a free pass to get out of jail... [-X
Your missing the point im trying to make, im wondering if people would like the idea to look at checks and fights from game replays to get a second look at suspending players at a varsity level

no5hole

Post by no5hole » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:27 am

Video replay does not always reflect accuracy and should not be used. The goalie for Edina started this mess but it was when the camera was panned to the middle of the ice and did not catch it. he did not get suspended. Also, one of Blaine's kids was suspended and he didn't touch a kid. Watch the video and check out #41. standing around the top of the circle. There were Blaine kids that were also fighting that did not get suspended. So much for video accuracy.

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:43 am

green4 wrote:
blueblood wrote:There are consequences to fighting in a youth hockey game. Whether or not video was used is not the point. [-(

Your missing the point im trying to make, im wondering if people would like the idea to look at checks and fights from game replays to get a second look at suspending players at a varsity level
For accuracy purposes, I do not have a problem for a ref (league) using a video for an incident of this magnitude (a brawl). I would think all parties involved would want some sort of clarity, rather than a guesstimate on any infraction(s) that might have occurred. As for the 10 players that were suspended or even the 20 smart players who were not, they all knew that fighting is an automatic 3 game suspension. Also, to add more salt to the wound, my guess, some of these 10 suspended players are on the roster for the Jr. Gold A Select Game to be held this Wednesday Night…or maybe they won’t be? :oops:

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 am

green4 wrote:

Slippery slope I think. Where do you draw the line? What if the fight takes place in the middle of the 2nd period? What if the game isn't being broadcast? Do you grab the closest mom with a video camera? Since the video won't necessarily provide the definitive answer, it shouldn't be used.

mn_hcky

Post by mn_hcky » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:28 am

green4 wrote:

You see it now at the varsity level, but with a different twist. For example, when a kid gets suspended for something he did and the league reviews a tape that was submitted from the team to reduce the suspension. In my sole opinion, I believe the refs should be able to view a tape to VERIFY their call on the ice. Not to give out more suspensions as I believe it was done in this situation.

sportstecminnesota

Videotaping

Post by sportstecminnesota » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 am

There have been discussions at MN Hockey about taping all games above Peewees to help to see how injuries happen and especially concussions to help with a diagnosis. With all the smart devices able to video tape games it would be useful to have a video tape that is at least the official version because if there is an issue somebody is likely to have a video of it on their device.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 pm

mn_hcky wrote: You see it now at the varsity level, but with a different twist. For example, when a kid gets suspended for something he did and the league reviews a tape that was submitted from the team to reduce the suspension.
Teams can submit a tape for review and often times they do, the MSHSL won't overturn a call. They will, however, contact the referee and see if they still believe they made the correct call or enforced the rule properly. I've been in this situation and talked with the league. In a game where I disqualified a player I have to do it during the administration of the penalty, (example: my line judge sees a player kick another player after the play was over) Following the game after everyone has had a chance to step back our crew will have a discussion regarding the foul, regardless of the discussion immediately after returning home from a game with a disqualification I have to fill out a report and send it to the league. If after the game during our discussion we decide that it may not have been a kick as we originally thought it won't change the call but in discussion with the MSHSL the penalty may be reduced and the player won't have to sit another game. The League won't reduce a penalty by themselves. or least I'm not aware of that ever happening as protests are not accepted.