Southern MN HS Hockey or Tier I Major Midgets

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Marty McSorely

Southern MN HS Hockey or Tier I Major Midgets

Post by Marty McSorely » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 am

Thoughts?

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Section 1A is competitive. I think it is always exciting to see how that shakes out every year. Any of the seeds 1-5 are capable of winning it. Section 1AA has obviously been limited to the Lakeville schools.

This season there were good teams from Southern MN. Top teams finished their seasons with the following records -

Rochester Mayo: 20-5
Mankato West: 20-5
Rochester Lourdes: 17-8
Lakeville South: 9-16
Lakeville North: 8-16-1

Now, obviously the Lakeville schools don't have winning records but there are still great players within all those programs listed. Farmington is up and coming and should have success in the next few years.

I, personally, think there is a complete lack of respect for the southern region (Section 1A/AA). There have been great players and some good teams that have come from that area. The most notable one recently being Lakeville South over Duluth East. This year Lourdes beat a solid Prior Lake squad. These teams can compete with the "big boys." I recall a Red Wing team in 09' that dominated a top ranked Hermantown team and played the eventual state champions in Breck to a 2-1 game.

The records the past few seasons don't show much for success, but the best players in the southern region are more than capable of playing.

I would rather take Southern MN hockey

bemused

Re: Southern MN HS Hockey or Tier I Major Midgets

Post by bemused » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Marty McSorely wrote:Thoughts?
Is it a decent organization with a good coach?

Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm not thinking any specific team. I'm looking at quality of play/players of Tier 1 Elite Hockey League U18 vs. anything south of Lakeville.

DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Marty McSorely wrote:I'm not thinking any specific team. I'm looking at quality of play/players of Tier 1 Elite Hockey League U18 vs. anything south of Lakeville.
Not many HS teams can hang with the top 30-40 or so Midget Major teams. Usually the top 10-12 AA schools and this year STA and Hermantown could fit in, but that's about it. Most quality Midget Major teams have a lot of depth that HS teams don't.

So to answer your question, in general Midget Major is a much better product than what you'll find in 1A/1AA.