Former MSHSL Players in the Frozen Four

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

Former MSHSL Players in the Frozen Four

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:03 am

SCSU
T.J. Belisle - St. Francis
Joey Benik - St. Francis
Jonny Brodzinski - Blaine
Brandon Burrell - North Metro
Ben Hanowski - Little Falls
Nick Jensen - Rogers
Taylor Johnson - White Bear Lake
Drew LeBlanc - Hermantown
Nick Oliver - Roseau
Joe Phillippi - Hill Murray
Andrew Prochno - Minnetonka
Ethan Prow - Sauk Rapids
Joe Rehkamp - Breck
Cory Thorson - Robbinsdale Armstrong

Quinnipiac
Ben Arnt - North St. Paul
Eric Hartzell - White Bear Lake
Jacob Meyers - Benilde St. Margaret's
Zach Tolkinen - Centennial

Yale
Tommy Fallen - Robbinsdale Armstrong

hipcheck

great!

Post by hipcheck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:07 pm

This is great to see. MN players helping out teams in the Frozen 4. With the exception of the St. Cloud players, I was unaware of the players on the other teams.

Players need to go to a school where they will play and enjoy the game. Lots of opportunities at schools besides in the Midwest!

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Also nice to see guys from non-traditional powerhouse schools who stayed with their programs through high school (Benik, Belisle, Hanowski, Burrell, Fallen). Although it's nice to see any Minnesotan representing the state in the NCAA tourney.

preferhockey

Post by preferhockey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Great to see 14 MN players on SCSU roster. Now maybe Mankato and Bemidji will change from only 6 each. Plenty of good players in MN to be given a chance.

Go Huskies!!

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:13 pm

preferhockey wrote:Great to see 14 MN players on SCSU roster. Now maybe Mankato and Bemidji will change from only 6 each. Plenty of good players in MN to be given a chance.

Go Huskies!!
I know Hastings has Hunter Warner (Eden Prairie), Eli May (Eagan) and C.J. Franklin (Forest Lake) committed to MSU, but I have seen that he has a number of recruits from places other than MN. Good to see that all of Hastings recruits are coming from USHL, so hopefully they can keep up the turnaround season they had this year and be a solid program year in and year out. As a student at MSU, it was great to watch them this year as opposed to the last couple. Not to say Jutting was a bad coach, but Hastings had great success with Jutting's recruits and is taking the program in the right direction. Also would be nice to see Bemidji turn things around after that 2009 Frozen Four appearance they have kind of fallen off the map.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

New favorite destination.

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 pm

With saint cloud state making a deep run into the final four this year. Does
Anyone think that possibly they will become the favorite destination of minnesota hockey players. Also UMD has won a national championship. Is Minnesota a second favorite now.

The Exiled One

Re: New favorite destination.

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:With saint cloud state making a deep run into the final four this year. Does
Anyone think that possibly they will become the favorite destination of minnesota hockey players. Also UMD has won a national championship. Is Minnesota a second favorite now.
No. As always, kids will decide on their college based on a wide variety of factors. That's the way it has been and will be.

MNpuckBlog

Re: New favorite destination.

Post by MNpuckBlog » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:36 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:With saint cloud state making a deep run into the final four this year. Does
No. As always, kids will decide on their college based on a wide variety of factors. That's the way it has been and will be.
I think the past 5-6 years we've seen some of the top recruits go elsewhere, and some say the Gophs "let that one get away". I think the majority of Minnesota boys want to put on the "M", but there are others who grow up idolizing other WCHA schools. Such players as Kristo, Barnes, J.T. Brown, who likely had offers from a handful of D1 schools that chose to go elsewhere. Also, many players may think they won't excel for the Gophers since they recruit mostly skilled scorers at forward, and with too many of the same type of players some of these recruits would be buried on the depth charts.

celly93

Post by celly93 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:44 pm

I think a school like SCSU, UMD, or even UND signing a Twin Cities TV contract would do wonders for recruiting. Obviously, it's easier said than done, but I think going home or to a buddy's house and watching the Gopher games on Fridays and Saturdays after pee-wee and bantam practices is a big part of any Minnesota hockey player's childhood.