Jack Dougherty to Ohio State

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bemused

Jack Dougherty to Ohio State

Post by bemused »

Congrats to Dougherty..OSU pulls another one out of Minnesota.. junior , STA, 96 birth year..
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Great hockey player. Oseicki doing great recruiting job. No surprise.
WhiteboysSTA

Post by WhiteboysSTA »

Top 5 defenseman in the state. Did the gophers try for him?
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Gopher hockey is simply trying to keep up with the basketball team being in the bottom part of the Big 10. Sheehy and now Dougherty (2 of the top juniors in the state) to Ohio State and probably a couple of more to come. Wonder if these will both be for the 2014-15 season or if they'll do at least one year of juniors. Who knows but congrats to them both? After the Yale disappointment, Gophers have the Nanne-related years coming up with Tyler soon to be now skating in the USHL. :shock:
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

It's interesting to read sky-is-falling posts about college hockey implying the Gophers are somehow losing ground because Ohio State got a couple commitments. Seriously? Ohio State? They haven't exactly been setting the CCHA on fire.

Even if these kids are All-World, wasn't this past weekend yet another reminder that college hockey is an odd duck? There are 25-year-olds on the Frozen Four team for Quinnipiac. Count Ferris, Bemidji, and Union as other schools that have had recent success. Lake Superior won three national championships.

Gophers are doing fine. Unless of course being one of the top programs year in, year out doesn't do it for you.

They had one of the youngest teams in the country. Even after departures they'll be very good again.
Be kind. Rewind.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Well said, O-townClown. Every time a kid commits you get a comment from somebody lamenting how the Gophers let another one get away. But like all teams they have only so many spots to fill every year - they can't sign them all! The incoming freshmen group for next season looks to be very talented and I too look for them to have another good year, and hopefully one with a better finish.

Until then, GO HUSKIES! ;)
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

O-townClown wrote:It's interesting to read sky-is-falling posts about college hockey implying the Gophers are somehow losing ground because Ohio State got a couple commitments. Seriously? Ohio State? They haven't exactly been setting the CCHA on fire.

Even if these kids are All-World, wasn't this past weekend yet another reminder that college hockey is an odd duck? There are 25-year-olds on the Frozen Four team for Quinnipiac. Count Ferris, Bemidji, and Union as other schools that have had recent success. Lake Superior won three national championships.

Gophers are doing fine. Unless of course being one of the top programs year in, year out doesn't do it for you.

They had one of the youngest teams in the country. Even after departures they'll be very good again.
I don't know how "odd" that duck actually is, but it's certainly true that upsets happen on any given day, and thems the breaks with a one-game series. Seems like most of the players put one or two years in at juniors and many will take a red shirt as well. Then the best of the best leave for the NHL before they graduate -- go figure!

Agree, though, that the Gophers are loaded with talented, big-name players for the foreseeable future. People forget about the class of recruits from the past year or two who are seasoning in the USHL -- like Taylor Cammarata (82 points in 53 games, #1 in the league) and Justin Kloos (77 points in 48 games, #2 in the league). Gophers are going to be a lot of fun to watch in the foreseeable future.

That said, I'ma be watching some Huskies win a national championship next week!

The thing is, there are lots of great players who don't get the superstar gopher treatment who absolutely can compete with and actually beat the gophers on a regular basis. And they;re right here in Minnesota! Mankato gave the gophers fits this year, St. Cloud did too. Bemidji and Duluth usually do too. Those teams tend to pick up the second-tier high school talent -- the players that never got nominated for Mr. Hockey or the Brimsek but would have if the politics were different.

It actually ticks me off a little bit that Fox North bends over backward to televise and celebrate the gophers every move, when there are four other WCHA teams in the state -- at least two of them former national champions -- who don't rate a single mention on TV, unless they're playing the gophers. Is there some rule written into the charter of Fox that only the gophers actually matter? Are they "Minnesota's college hockey team" or something?
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Shinbone_News wrote:It actually ticks me off a little bit that Fox North bends over backward to televise and celebrate the gophers every move, when there are four other WCHA teams in the state -- at least two of them former national champions -- who don't rate a single mention on TV, unless they're playing the gophers. Is there some rule written into the charter of Fox that only the gophers actually matter? Are they "Minnesota's college hockey team" or something?
Yes they actually are.

Gophers can't get everyone, enough quality in-state kids to spread the wealth around. I'm sure the Gophers will miss on some good diamonds in the rough and some rube from that kid's hometown will have a "told ya so" moment that will validate his thinking.

Don will reload the empty chambers and the Gophers will be nationally relevant, like just about any other year.

Budish, Bjugstad, Haula, Schmidt are all probably gone but Cammarata, Fasching etc will step up. Lot of new blood but a ton of talent. Wilcox between the pipes always a positive.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

thestickler07 wrote:I'm sure the Gophers will miss on some good diamonds in the rough and some rube from that kid's hometown will have a "told ya so" moment that will validate his thinking.
Was Drew LeBlanc a diamond in the rough?

And no, they are not the state's college hockey team. They are FSN's college hockey team, because FSN is a Twin Cities sports station. As an SCSU fan, I don't expect more coverage from FSN.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

The Exiled One wrote:Was Drew LeBlanc a diamond in the rough?

And no, they are not the state's college hockey team. They are FSN's college hockey team, because FSN is a Twin Cities sports station. As an SCSU fan, I don't expect more coverage from FSN.
thestickler07 wrote:Gophers can't get everyone, enough quality in-state kids to spread the wealth around.
And yes, as much as Jan Brady wouldn't like to admit it, the Gophers have been, are currently, and will always be Minnesota's team.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

thestickler07 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:Was Drew LeBlanc a diamond in the rough?

thestickler07 wrote:Gophers can't get everyone, enough quality in-state kids to spread the wealth around.
And yes, as much as Jan Brady wouldn't like to admit it, the Gophers have been, are currently, and will always be Minnesota's team.

Well I would hope the U of M is Minnesota's team, they're the only true Division-I school in Minnesota ("true" being completely D-I). If you can't build success in that position, you may just scrap your athletic department all together :lol:
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Roy01 wrote:Well I would hope the U of M is Minnesota's team, they're the only true Division-I school in Minnesota ("true" being completely D-I). If you can't build success in that position, you may just scrap your athletic department all together :lol:
Winningest program in college hockey history no?

Winning records against every opponent except BU, and they only trail that series by 1 game.

5 national championships.

I think they have the success thing figured out.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

thestickler07 wrote:And yes, as much as Jan Brady wouldn't like to admit it, the Gophers have been, are currently, and will always be Minnesota's team.
tArrogance is strong with this one.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

The Exiled One wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:I'm sure the Gophers will miss on some good diamonds in the rough and some rube from that kid's hometown will have a "told ya so" moment that will validate his thinking.
Was Drew LeBlanc a diamond in the rough?

May also be a case of the u is the only one who can, or wants to, afford FSN coverage.

I'm with you, especially these days; there's more than one fish in the sea.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

The Exiled One wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:And yes, as much as Jan Brady wouldn't like to admit it, the Gophers have been, are currently, and will always be Minnesota's team.
tArrogance is strong with this one.
Just real talk.

Same way UC Riverside will never be looked at the same way UCLA is.

It is what it is.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I don't have a strong preference for any college team, but I'm always amused that, after some school that is not Minnesota lands a top recruit, the immediate reaction is always "why didn't the Gophers recruit him?!"

Over the next two years, presumably, they're bringing in Bischoff, Brodzinski, Collins, Glover, and Vannelli on D.
They currently have 2 freshman defensemen (Skjei, Reilly) and a sophomore (Marshall).

Of course, several of those players may leave early. But even if the Gophers wanted Dougherty (I have no idea), would he want to go somewhere where he might get minimal playing time for a year or two?

This state puts out too much front-end D-I talent for the Gophers to land them all, even if they all wanted to go to Minnesota. An while they will probably continue to land many of the state's top recruits, there are plenty of reasons why players may want to go elsewhere, whether that be a school close to home, an out-of-state school renowned for its academics, or just a program where a coach has made a clear commitment to the player in question.

Congrats to Jack. With Osiecki at the helm, it's no surprise to see the Buckeyes making inroads into Minnesota with their recruiting. OSU may not have Minnesota's history or fan base, but it is a big-time school for college sports, and I think they stand to gain more than anyone from the new Big Ten hockey conference.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

karl(east) wrote:I don't have a strong preference for any college team
Nor would I if I attended Georgetown... :oops: :P :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

PuckU126 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:I don't have a strong preference for any college team
Nor would I if I attended Georgetown... :oops: :P :lol:

8)
Hey now, I'm still in the recovery phase here.

It's probably a good thing I don't care half as much about basketball...
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

karl(east) wrote:Hey now, I'm still in the recovery phase here.

It's probably a good thing I don't care half as much about basketball...
Killed my bracket game 1 bro.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

thestickler07 wrote:Killed my bracket game 1 bro.
I could've told you this was going to happen. I've finally wised up and have stopped picking them to go anywhere in my bracket (which was actually looking great until this past weekend). In the past six years they've now lost to a double-digit seed five times--twice as a 2-seed, twice as a 3-seed, and once as a 6. (The one other year involved a first-round loss in the NIT.) It has been disgusting, though they'll have to work to top this year's debacle.

Alright, I am done hijacking this thread with my Hoya Hoops gloom and doom now. :lol:
IMHO

Post by IMHO »

karl(east) wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:Killed my bracket game 1 bro.
I could've told you this was going to happen. I've finally wised up and have stopped picking them to go anywhere in my bracket (which was actually looking great until this past weekend). In the past six years they've now lost to a double-digit seed five times--twice as a 2-seed, twice as a 3-seed, and once as a 6. (The one other year involved a first-round loss in the NIT.) It has been disgusting, though they'll have to work to top this year's debacle.

Alright, I am done hijacking this thread with my Hoya Hoops gloom and doom now. :lol:
College AND basketball - major off topic. Karl, gonna have to rat you out to Mitch. #-o
observer

Post by observer »

Hoopsters need to go to The Cafe.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

observer wrote:Hoopsters need to go to The Cafe.
"Get a rope!"
sportstecminnesota

scholarships

Post by sportstecminnesota »

what also plays into decisions by student athletes are scholarships which in many cases are only partial scholarships. Some schools like Ohio State may give a full ride hoping to encourage some better players and giving small partial scholarships to less known players. I am sure it is a big reason many players leave MN because it is pay to play with partial scholarships. At least the NHL with the strike did not steal MN players during the season which they have done in the past.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Any thoughts on Richard Pitino? 8-[

:wink: