Capsules

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stop the madness of gmhf

Yes
89%
Yes
11%

Total votes: 19

blueblood

Capsules

Post by blueblood »

I thought this was the USHSHO message board and not some personal blog by gmhf.

Is anyone else tired of seeing "Voting starts in 3 weeks"? How long is this going to go on for?

The interest in this has been <.1% of the contributors with the average # of votes being 15 and 1 response other than gmhf to his "capsules"

STOP THE MADNESS =; =; =;
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Completely agree. I'm starting to come here less and less because of it. Make a different forum for it or stop it completely c
kniven

Post by kniven »

allstatebenders wrote:Completely agree. I'm starting to come here less and less because of it. Make a different forum for it or stop it completely c
Agreed. It's like a nail in my forehead. I check in less by a wide margin.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Don't look at the votes. Did you notice the number of views. There must be some interest. Relax !
grandmeadowhockeyfan

You have any interest in seeing who is the consensus best high school team ever? I can't wait to find out who wins.
Duluth George

Post by Duluth George »

I just think most people dont really want to see stuff about it all the time.
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

Knock it down to one week and I might be interested - otherwise its very annoying.

At the very least please reduce it to a single thread - not 25,000
observer

Post by observer »

George with his 4th post.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

It does seem like an awful lot of bandwidth for what could have been a pretty simple poll. Feels like research for a thesis on board behavior.
mnhunterdave

Finally...........

Post by mnhunterdave »

Thank you I have been thinking the same thing for weeks.

No offense to gmfh, but can't that sort of stuff be put somewhere else? Maybe under older topics?

Does one really have to 'bump' the postings so they all stay at the top of the list?

Please move all these capsules and polls regarding past MN HS teams to a different area or a different site.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

I put it here because of the number of big hockey fans who love high school hockey. I thought everyone would be interested.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Bonehead wrote:It does seem like an awful lot of bandwidth for what could have been a pretty simple poll.

Feels like research for a thesis on board behavior.
I agree with both.

How about this:

Instead of a bracket setup with start dates (why?), just do a massive poll and provide the record and stats of each team within the initial post.

It would save A LOT of work and time, gmhf.

8)
The Puck
LGW
blueblood

gmhf

Post by blueblood »

the people have spoken. no one but you cares...

TIME TO LOCK THIS ONE UP.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

I enjoy the brackets and think it is a good thing to keep people coming to the site. Clearly there's a lot of effort and time that has been put into this and rather than whine about it, if people have an objection they can keep it to themselves or PM. GMHF already ran it by the moderators and they said yes. Now, can we please quit the childish bit of complaining over this..? Heaven forbid you use your scroll bar to search down another two threads to find your specified topic... :roll:
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Roy01 wrote:I enjoy the brackets and think it is a good thing to keep people coming to the site. Clearly there's a lot of effort and time that has been put into this and rather than whine about it, if people have an objection they can keep it to themselves or PM. GMHF already ran it by the moderators and they said yes. Now, can we please quit the childish bit of complaining over this..? Heaven forbid you use your scroll bar to search down another two threads to find your specified topic... :roll:
Thanks for the life lesson.

In actuality, people are not complaining about that. GMHF topic can be polled in a more succinct, simplified and efficient manner. Plus, its the people who are interested in this topic that are complaining.

Instead, there are start dates for different decades, waiting periods, constant "bumps" and the bulk of the polling is done during the OFF SEASON when most posters are not on this forum. The manner this topic and data collecting is being conducted is losing the interest of the voter ie. the posters on here (its not making the forum more attractive, its the opposite).

Bottom line is, with the multiple poll openings, this topic will not receive a decent polling turnout during the off season (something GMHF knows). The poll is better off just going to a giant listing of all of the remaining teams, provide stats and records in the initial post and making it a SINGLE sticky at the top of the board which will remain up there for the entire next season for all to vote and discuss! Having new polls starting in June then September, etc is not an efficient way to collect the posters opinion.

In essence, either make a giant poll and make ONE thread or save everything until next season when more people will actually be on this forum to vote and discuss.

8)
The Puck
LGW
grandmeadowhockeyfan

more fun

What about the fun of working our way to the championship game. Early rounds in the summer and one matchup per week closer to November. I thought the chance to vote on a matchup at a time would be fun. What about basketball and hockey. Maybe the teams should all just line up and have the fans vote in the stadium. It does run forever and is not efficient. The frozen four runs forever. The WCHA final five then the NCAA tourney. Maybe we should just have one day they all show up in Pittsburgh and have it figured out then. Just Not efficient the way they do it. Right bud
PuckU126

Re: more fun

Post by PuckU126 »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:What about the fun of working our way to the championship game. Early rounds in the summer and one matchup per week closer to November. I thought the chance to vote on a matchup at a time would be fun. What about basketball and hockey. Maybe the teams should all just line up and have the fans vote in the stadium. It does run forever and is not efficient. The frozen four runs forever. The WCHA final five then the NCAA tourney. Maybe we should just have one day they all show up in Pittsburgh and have it figured out then. Just Not efficient the way they do it. Right bud
Polling/discussing and actually playing the games are totally different and you know that.

You're polling non-fiction match-ups, and the teams are not actually playing game, that is for reality, but go ahead and combine the two for your argument. :? You know your rebuttal is as flawed as your polls. Learn how to gather quantitative data, pal.

In addition, excuse me and everyone else on this topic for wanting to improve your polls. Its a fun topic, but if you continue polling like this, just keep in mind your results could have been better conducted.

8)
The Puck
LGW
grandmeadowhockeyfan

"In addition, excuse me and everyone else on this topic for wanting to improve your polls. Its a fun topic, but if you continue polling like this, just keep in mind your results could have been better conducted. ".

Just so you know i love feedback on how to better make this tourney work. I am loving the interest i get when i put up new poll and watching the fans choose a winner to advance. I hope you are enjoying that as well. I am just a huge high school hockey fan trying to have a tourney of past teams and see who everyone thinks is the best. Very exciting for me and sounds like you are enjoying it as well. There probably are better ways to run this and i acknowledge that. I just tried to set up a time frame for matchups where when we get down to the final 19 or so more fans will be coming back to the forum and through the season next year it will end at the same time the state tourney does. Hope to hear from you often on results and which team you want to win. Later
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Learn how to gather quantitative data, pal.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions for improving the polls and getting better data. Love to know. Other than the changing time frame. I want to make this enjoyable. Also am very excited about the team to team matchup coming in round two.
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

94 Jefferson

I'm done viewing, voting and commenting
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Don't look at the votes. Did you notice the number of views. There must be some interest. Relax !
Not if, every time *you* visit the page, a "viewed" number is made.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Well this thread has more views than all his "Voting starts April 21" threads combined.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Real big of you to have a yes and no option. Real big of you.