Classic Suburban ousts St. Thomas

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Classic Suburban ousts St. Thomas

Post by goldy313 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:40 pm

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_230 ... -st-thomas

The Classic Suburban voted 6-2 to kick STA out of the conference, STA now has to apply to other conferences and if no one accepts them the MSHSL will place them in a conference.

Kind of interesting to me at least, my guess is the two no votes were STA and Hill-Murray. I just don't think you can become as dominant as STA has been, run the score up incessantly on your peers and expect them to just stand by forever. STA may be close to some those schools geograpically but they're light years away socio-economically and probably a better fit in the South Suburban or Suburban East.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 pm

And I'll give a brofist pound to HM for being homies and not voting to kick us out.

If STAA doesn't get put in with one of the big school conferences I'd be down for a STAA/CDH/HM/BSM/AHA/TG Catholic SuperLeague. That conference would BALL in everything.
Last edited by thestickler07 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Let's hope the MSHSL doesn't just put them back in the Classic Sub.
SSC would be perfect, Cretin seems to have survived the boot from the St. Paul City Conference.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Gotta give some shoutouts to the conference mates on the way out though:

HM: Catholic school bros. Ya'll were pretty competitive with us, and our rise in hockey seemed to spill over into other sports as well. You guys were always the "other" CSC private school so you get respect for that. Good luck in the league (if you stay).

Richfield: You guys mostly sucked at everything, no real animosity mostly pity.

Tartan: Had some good basketball games with you guys, never figured out where Tartan is though. Boring looking girls too.

South St. Paul: Damn you guys hated us, probably more than any other school in the league (even Sibley). Loved mashing on you chumps in everything though, your inability to beat us probably contributed to this intense hatred. SSP always smelled the worst.

North St. Paul: Nothing memorable about you guys, just that stupid polar bear by the highway. Your part of town smelled better than SSP though.

Mahtomedi: Ahhh the Zephyrs, got respect for you guys. Always a battle when we lined up against you in football, although not so much in anything else. Nicest public school in the league and the best/classiest opposing fans. Good rivalry I'm bummed to see die.

Simley: For everything Mahtomedi was, you were the opposite. Classless. Dirty. Cheap hitters. Trashy fans. Bad athletes (outside wrestling but w/e). You guys always were on the outside looking in to the conference elite and were so butthurt about it. For what it's worth I never got you and Sibley confused.

Sibley: Ahhhh good old Sibley. Probably my favorite rivalry in the CSC for a couple of reasons, you guys were reasonably good in fan intensive sports (football, basketball) and the proximity. The never ending battle for Mendota Heights supremacy and bragging rights at the Plaza hahaha. We played some close and good games but despite your best efforts our class never tasted defeat in football versus you guys. Basketball was the best though, some of those games with Webster, Hicks, Halvorsen, Mbakwe, Leslie, and Birr are still are in my memory. You want to see student sections going at it? Oh boy it was electric every time the ball would tip off, and both teams were very good.

Gotta chuck up the deuces to you guys. Had some good times in the CSC but on to bigger and brighter things. Crossing my fingers and toes the MSHSL doesn't throw us back in with you guys again.

stpaul

STA

Post by stpaul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 pm

The time may have come for a metro private school conference. Totino-Grace, Benilde-SM, Holy Angels and now STA are homeless. Add Hill-Murray, Cretin-DH, Holy Family, DeLaSalle and Breck and it would be a pretty good 9 team conference. 8 for hockey. Blake and Providence Academy could make it 10.

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 pm

thestickler07 wrote:North St. Paul: Nothing memorable about you guys, just that stupid polar bear by the highway.
It's a snowman! and we're damn proud of it. You got us mixed up with the White Bear Chevrolet Polar Bear on Hwy. 61.

Otherwise a great assessment of the CSC. SSP and Simley are the biggest whiners.They were behind the conspiracy 12 years ago to get rid of Hastings, Park & Woodbury. They surely are the ringleaders of the STA assassination. Watch out Hill-Murray your next. They have their eyes on those free agents Fridley and Columbia Heights to help them make the CSC the weakest conference in the the metro.
Last edited by stpaul on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 pm

stpaul wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:North St. Paul: Nothing memorable about you guys, just that stupid polar bear by the highway.
It's a snowman! and we're damn proud of it. You got us mixed up with the White Bear Chevrolet Polar Bear on Hwy. 61.
Sorry bro, but that kind of inadvertently reinforced my previous point. Nothing memorable.

Good luck to you guys in the league I guess. I heard your quiz bowl team was good.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Hermantown

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 pm

SWEET. Awesome job stickler.

Gotta give some shoutouts to the conference mates on the way out though:

HM: Catholic school bros. Ya'll were pretty competitive with us, and our rise in hockey seemed to spill over into other sports as well. You guys were always the "other" CSC private school so you get respect for that. Good luck in the league (if you stay).

Richfield: You guys mostly sucked at everything, no real animosity mostly pity.

Tartan: Had some good basketball games with you guys, never figured out where Tartan is though. Boring looking girls too.

South St. Paul: Damn you guys hated us, probably more than any other school in the league (even Sibley). Loved mashing on you chumps in everything though, your inability to beat us probably contributed to this intense hatred. SSP always smelled the worst.

North St. Paul: Nothing memorable about you guys, just that stupid polar bear by the highway. Your part of town smelled better than SSP though.

Mahtomedi: Ahhh the Zephyrs, got respect for you guys. Always a battle when we lined up against you in football, although not so much in anything else. Nicest public school in the league and the best/classiest opposing fans. Good rivalry I'm bummed to see die.

Simley: For everything Mahtomedi was, you were the opposite. Classless. Dirty. Cheap hitters. Trashy fans. Bad athletes (outside wrestling but w/e). You guys always were on the outside looking in to the conference elite and were so butthurt about it. For what it's worth I never got you and Sibley confused.

Sibley: Ahhhh good old Sibley. Probably my favorite rivalry in the CSC for a couple of reasons, you guys were reasonably good in fan intensive sports (football, basketball) and the proximity. The never ending battle for Mendota Heights supremacy and bragging rights at the Plaza hahaha. We played some close and good games but despite your best efforts our class never tasted defeat in football versus you guys. Basketball was the best though, some of those games with Webster, Hicks, Halvorsen, Mbakwe, Leslie, and Birr are still are in my memory. You want to see student sections going at it? Oh boy it was electric every time the ball would tip off, and both teams were very good.

Gotta chuck up the deuces to you guys. Had some good times in the CSC but on to bigger and brighter things. Crossing my fingers and toes the MSHSL doesn't throw us back in with you guys again.

DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 am

Pretty cocky considering STA hasn't won the Classic Suburban outright in any of the mainstream sports (Soccer, Football, Bball, Hockey, Wrestling, Baseball, Track) since fall of 2011 (Football), which went on to lose to SSP (who they didn't play during that CSC season) during sections.

That said, this is probably a good thing for STA. I think the SSC would be a good fit for them, especially in hockey. Although I would bet most STA people would like to see them in the same conference as Cretin.

I would have to think HM ends up in the SEC. The CSC is a pretty good fit for most of their sports, but not hockey with STA gone. Maybe they will go the Benilde route and play an independent hockey schedule?

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 am

DubCHAGuy wrote:Pretty cocky considering STA hasn't won the Classic Suburban outright in any of the mainstream sports (Soccer, Football, Bball, Hockey, Wrestling, Baseball, Track) since fall of 2011 (Football), which went on to lose to SSP (who they didn't play during that CSC season) during sections.

That said, this is probably a good thing for STA. I think the SSC would be a good fit for them, especially in hockey. Although I would bet most STA people would like to see them in the same conference as Cretin.

I would have to think HM ends up in the SEC. The CSC is a pretty good fit for most of their sports, but not hockey with STA gone. Maybe they will go the Benilde route and play an independent hockey schedule?
No cockiness bro, we got voted out and the all the ADs from the other schools could say is "no comment".

That says all you need to know.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 am

Boring looking girls at Tartan? How do the girls look at STA?

NSP is now nationally relevant in soccer. Don't really care if you don't like soccer.

You have 5 JV state titles. I'd say Hill has a lot more respect throughout the state, and they deserve it.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 am

Bonin2121 wrote:Boring looking girls at Tartan? How do the girls look at STA?

NSP is now nationally relevant in soccer. Don't really care if you don't like soccer.

You have 5 JV state titles. I'd say Hill has a lot more respect throughout the state, and they deserve it.
Apparently all that was enough for your ADs to want to stop playing us.

Can't blame this on us anymore guys, ball was in your court and you walked away like cowards.

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:24 am

DubCHAGuy wrote:Pretty cocky considering STA hasn't won the Classic Suburban outright in any of the mainstream sports (Soccer, Football, Bball, Hockey, Wrestling, Baseball, Track) since fall of 2011 (Football), which went on to lose to SSP (who they didn't play during that CSC season) during sections.
2012 Football. Co-champs at 6-1 with SSP. STA buried them 34-0 in the regular season finale. SSP then loses to HM in the playoffs. SSP was 8-0 other than losing to both STA and HM. That was probably enough for them to call for more secret meetings.

BP

Re: STA

Post by BP » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:34 am

stpaul wrote:The time may have come for a metro private school conference. Totino-Grace, Benilde-SM, Holy Angels and now STA are homeless. Add Hill-Murray, Cretin-DH, Holy Family, DeLaSalle and Breck and it would be a pretty good 9 team conference. 8 for hockey. Blake and Providence Academy could make it 10.

There are discussions already going with Benilde, Totino, and Holy Angels to start a new conference. With STA out, that would make sense. De LaSalle would make the jump as well, for football and basketball reasons. Breck won't go anywhere, they aren't good in anything but hockey. Blake and Prov won't either. Holy Family is actively shopping for a new conference. Most conferences revolve around football, so that is the consideration.

So, it could be BSM, Totino, DLS, STA, and Holy Angels. Add in CDH and Hill-Murray, and that is some good stuff.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:46 am

Cretin won't go anywhere. Football/Baseball run the show. SEC has more to offer in these sports.

DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 am

old goalie85 wrote:Cretin won't go anywhere. Football/Baseball run the show. SEC has more to offer in these sports.
I think you're right. I also think Totino is probably pretty happy in the NWSC.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:32 am

I think BSM/Totino/STA/Hill/Duluth Marsh/Breck/HF/Roch L. Would make a great X-mas tourny !!! Can't see a conference.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Xmas tourney

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 am

That would be an awesome tourney. I would go out of my way to see that. Choosing between the st Louis park tourney, and Schwann would be a real difficult choice.

Mailman

Post by Mailman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 am

=D> =D> =D>

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm

stpaul wrote:
2012 Football. Co-champs at 6-1 with SSP. STA buried them 34-0 in the regular season finale. SSP then loses to HM in the playoffs. SSP was 8-0 other than losing to both STA and HM. That was probably enough for them to call for more secret meetings.
The funny part is SSP beat the only team STAA lost to in the regular season, Mahtomedi. And they beat the big bad private powerhouse of New Life Academy 43-0 in the 1st round of sections.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:12 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Cretin won't go anywhere. Football/Baseball run the show. SEC has more to offer in these sports.
I wouldn't be so sure anymore man, a 6 school league has plenty of non-conference opportunities. STAA/CDH/AHA/BSM/HM/one other would be a pretty scary league top to bottom in most sports.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 pm

old goalie85 wrote:I think BSM/Totino/STA/Hill/Duluth Marsh/Breck/HF/Roch L. Would make a great X-mas tourny !!! Can't see a conference.
It would make for an even more exciting section!!!

:D :P \:D/

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:19 pm

thestickler07 wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure anymore man, a 6 school league has plenty of non-conference opportunities. STAA/CDH/AHA/BSM/HM/one other would be a pretty scary league top to bottom in most sports.
Could you even imagine the section games..? Man, add a few more teams and it will be fantastic!

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:29 pm

DubCHAGuy wrote:
Totino is not a full member of the NWSC. They are a football-only member. They and Benilde are part of the North Suburban Conference that voted to disband last week. With Holy Angels and now STA looking for a new conference, I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm

hockeydad wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote:
Totino is not a full member of the NWSC. They are a football-only member. They and Benilde are part of the North Suburban Conference that voted to disband last week. With Holy Angels and now STA looking for a new conference, I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen.
Yep. Writing is on the wall for HM too, they were the obvious other vote against kicking STAA out. Might be better to get out ahead of being pushed.

CDH was content killing the St. Paul City Conference in football for years. An all catholic conference would be a much more competitive league even if the Raiders would still be on top most of the time. Plenty of non-conference games that could be played against bigger schools.