USHL Draft '13 - Not a good year for MN HS Goalies

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SuperStar
Posts: 1285
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:26 am

USHL Draft '13 - Not a good year for MN HS Goalies

Post by SuperStar » Wed May 08, 2013 9:15 am

I think I saw (1) taken. Dittmer from Moorehead. I assumed there would be 3 maybe even 4. Maybe the NAHL draft will be kinder.

observer
Posts: 2227
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Post by observer » Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 am

2013 USHL Draft

http://ushl.rinknetcloud.com/draft27.htm

Jake Jackson from Tartan is top Minnesota player.

SuperStar
Posts: 1285
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:26 am

Post by SuperStar » Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 am

He is a heck of a player.. But I was a little more curious about the goalies not being taken.

OneMoreYear
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Post by OneMoreYear » Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 am

SuperStar wrote:He is a heck of a player.. But I was a little more curious about the goalies not being taken.
It does seem strange. The '96 group of goalies is pretty strong, and yet only one drafted and (if other threads are to be believed) only one "good enough" for USA hockey to allow MinnHockey to invite to National Camp.

Same at 16s - Only one goalie in '97 Futures draft (Driscoll/Eastview) as well, even though there were five down at the combine in Chicago (Robert, Ahrens, Schilling and Hanson).

I have heard the knock being they don't play enough games and that the midget/U16AAA goalies have and advantage in that sense, but from what I heard all of the Minnesota goalies held their own in Chicago???

gopherpuck516
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 am

Post by gopherpuck516 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 am

Also notable: Chicago Steel selected Jack Jablonski with their final pick.

SuperStar
Posts: 1285
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:26 am

Post by SuperStar » Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 am

I have heard the same knock: Not enough games - which I think is true.

BUT, if you notice the MN goalies currently in the USHL are doing quite well. 4 out of the 5 former MN high schoolers are in the TOP 10 in the whole league in games played, minutes, shots, GAA etc, ect.. So I am not sure if that excuse holds water...? Or maybe it's just that they know most kids drafted won't be leaving until after HS, why waste a pick on them..?? I don't know what it is.

D3Referee
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by D3Referee » Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Vaughn Ayrens from Wayzata got drafted. He's a 97 as well
"See ya in another life brother"

mackjogger
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by mackjogger » Thu May 09, 2013 12:33 pm

D3Referee wrote:Vaughn Ayrens from Wayzata got drafted. He's a 97 as well
Best 97 goaltender in mn hs hockey is not on anyone's radar. It will be obvious who he is over next 2 yrs.

OneMoreYear
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Post by OneMoreYear » Thu May 09, 2013 12:54 pm

mackjogger wrote:
D3Referee wrote:Vaughn Ayrens from Wayzata got drafted. He's a 97 as well
Best 97 goaltender in mn hs hockey is not on anyone's radar. It will be obvious who he is over next 2 yrs.
And you're not going to tell us now because. . . .

mackjogger
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by mackjogger » Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm

OneMoreYear wrote:
mackjogger wrote:
D3Referee wrote:Vaughn Ayrens from Wayzata got drafted. He's a 97 as well
Best 97 goaltender in mn hs hockey is not on anyone's radar. It will be obvious who he is over next 2 yrs.
And you're not going to tell us now because. . . .
In case I'm wrong I don't want to eat crow.
:D

D3Referee
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by D3Referee » Thu May 09, 2013 3:02 pm

mackjogger wrote:
D3Referee wrote:Vaughn Ayrens from Wayzata got drafted. He's a 97 as well
Best 97 goaltender in mn hs hockey is not on anyone's radar. It will be obvious who he is over next 2 yrs.
Is he from Farmington? :lol:
"See ya in another life brother"

hockeyoldtimer
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 pm

2013 goalies

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Fri May 10, 2013 1:22 am

Mackjogger,
Best 97 goalie is Robert and I'm not afraid to say it. He is fast, athletic, smart and hard working. Shocked he wasn't drafted as he was best in Minnesota Select 16's and plays the tougher U16/AAA schedule with 50+ games. Heard he had a solid Combine as well beating fellow Minnesotan Mark Kaske in a shootout for a win. He's my bet to go the furthest.

Zulu87
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Post by Zulu87 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am

There is a good crop of MN 97 goalies who we will hear more from:
Dricoll (EV), Ahrens (Wayzata), Dittmer (Moorhead), Robert (SSM),Wilson (lakeville) - I really can't believe Robert was not taken in the Futures

OneMoreYear
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: 2013 goalies

Post by OneMoreYear » Fri May 10, 2013 12:06 pm

hockeyoldtimer wrote:Mackjogger,
Best 97 goalie is Robert and I'm not afraid to say it. He is fast, athletic, smart and hard working. Shocked he wasn't drafted as he was best in Minnesota Select 16's and plays the tougher U16/AAA schedule with 50+ games. Heard he had a solid Combine as well beating fellow Minnesotan Mark Kaske in a shootout for a win. He's my bet to go the furthest.
Robert is very good, but I'll assume you heard about the shootout from someone close to him since the detached report I got was that Kaske's deke leave him laying on one side of the net, but he then hit the post on his shot attempt.

Agree 100% Robert not being drafted was a major surprise, but I recall seeing a statement on an earlier thread that it was likely he would sign with Brandon (WHL team for whom he is listed) this summer - if that rumor had any legs, that might explain why USHL teams would likely not spend a pick on him?

Without question, the names Zulu references all have a shot at success at the next levels, undrafetd or otherwise.

hockeyoldtimer
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 pm

1997 goalies

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Fri May 10, 2013 2:08 pm

One More Year,
My son didn't give me any particulars of the shootout win, just that Robert stopped all shooters with Kaske being the last one. He has played with Mark and Evan in AAA and knows the moves Kaske has. It was in no way meant as a slam on Mark as we think he is a super talented forward who got overlooked in Minnesota and by the USHL. Robert listed by a WHL team as many Minnesotas are but our understanding was that his family was keeping all options open. He is enrolled at Shattuck next year as far as we know. We hope this decision by the USHL doesn't push him North.

mackjogger
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by mackjogger » Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 am

Zulu87 wrote:There is a good crop of MN 97 goalies who we will hear more from:
Dricoll (EV), Ahrens (Wayzata), Dittmer (Moorhead), Robert (SSM),Wilson (lakeville) - I really can't believe Robert was not taken in the Futures
Agree, but I'm sticking with my long shot. Will see if he hits the radar!

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 am

The only way it can be a long shot is if you publicly name the long shot. It's like me saying I know who will win the Stanley cup, and it's not the Blackhawks. However I will tell everyone later cause I don't want to be wrong. Lol!!!!

mackjogger
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by mackjogger » Mon May 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Tigers33 wrote:The only way it can be a long shot is if you publicly name the long shot. It's like me saying I know who will win the Stanley cup, and it's not the Blackhawks. However I will tell everyone later cause I don't want to be wrong. Lol!!!!
I can if a kid shows up in the next two years and passes the above list by. For that to really happen its a long shot in and of itself. If it does, I assure you its my long shot.

stackthepads35
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 am

Post by stackthepads35 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:19 pm

4 Jake Kielly 17s-R 3 72:00 0 0 0 61 56 5 3.33 .918 0
65 Gabriel Heifort 17s-W 3 72:00 3 0 0 34 31 3 2.00 .912 0
61 Robert Goor 17s-B 3 75:03 0 1 0 42
38 4 2.56 .905 0
66 Alex Murray 17s-W 3 72:00 0 0 0 52 47 5 3.33 .904 0
65 Zach Driscoll 16s-W 3 72:00 1 1 0 48 43 5 3.33 .896 0
66 Conor Klaers 16s-W 3 72:00 0 1 0 49 43 6 4.00 .878 0
64 Evan Robert 16s-R 3 72:00 1 1 0 57 50 7 4.67 .877 0
61 Jens Vaughan Ahrens 16s-B 3 73:00 0 1 0 48 42 6 3.95 .875 0
63 Jacob Berger 16s-R 3 73:00 1 0 0 57 48 9 5.92 .842 0
63 Jacob Dittmer 17s-R 3 75:03 1 2 0 52 43 9 5.76 .827 0
62 Chase Perry 17s-B 3 72:00 0 2 0 41 33 8 5.33 .805 0

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Yes I understand that but you don't get my point, do ya?

Think of college football. I got a good long shot to win it all. Would u really believe me if I told you the team after the fact.

Meaning name your long shot.

Zulu87
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Post by Zulu87 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:18 pm

mackjogger wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:The only way it can be a long shot is if you publicly name the long shot. It's like me saying I know who will win the Stanley cup, and it's not the Blackhawks. However I will tell everyone later cause I don't want to be wrong. Lol!!!!
I can if a kid shows up in the next two years and passes the above list by. For that to really happen its a long shot in and of itself. If it does, I assure you its my long shot.
Yeah I don't get it ....what is th secret??

mackjogger
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by mackjogger » Tue May 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Yes I understand that but you don't get my point, do ya?

Think of college football. I got a good long shot to win it all. Would u really believe me if I told you the team after the fact.

Meaning name your long shot.
Would you agree that if a kid not listed above makes it to a top 5 D-I program that would be shocking? My point is there is a kid out there that is not on any radar that will play for a top 5 D-I program. He is not on the list above. So if ANY kid where able to pull if off it would be miraculous, so i don't need to name him. If it happens, it's prob my long shot.
:twisted: :roll: :lol:

mackjogger
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by mackjogger » Tue May 14, 2013 12:35 pm

stackthepads35 wrote:4 Jake Kielly 17s-R 3 72:00 0 0 0 61 56 5 3.33 .918 0
65 Gabriel Heifort 17s-W 3 72:00 3 0 0 34 31 3 2.00 .912 0
61 Robert Goor 17s-B 3 75:03 0 1 0 42
38 4 2.56 .905 0
66 Alex Murray 17s-W 3 72:00 0 0 0 52 47 5 3.33 .904 0
65 Zach Driscoll 16s-W 3 72:00 1 1 0 48 43 5 3.33 .896 0
66 Conor Klaers 16s-W 3 72:00 0 1 0 49 43 6 4.00 .878 0
64 Evan Robert 16s-R 3 72:00 1 1 0 57 50 7 4.67 .877 0
61 Jens Vaughan Ahrens 16s-B 3 73:00 0 1 0 48 42 6 3.95 .875 0
63 Jacob Berger 16s-R 3 73:00 1 0 0 57 48 9 5.92 .842 0
63 Jacob Dittmer 17s-R 3 75:03 1 2 0 52 43 9 5.76 .827 0
62 Chase Perry 17s-B 3 72:00 0 2 0 41 33 8 5.33 .805 0
If you listed the top 11 college football teams like list above and told me the national champ was not on the list and a team not on the list won, I would give you credit for calling it. That's all I'm suggesting. He's not on the list and yet to be discovered.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:30 pm

First of all it would not be shocking if a goalie not on the list played D1. It also wouldnt be shocking if a goalie on the list didnt play D1. Goalies will develop at different ages, and will typically play juniors longer than skaters to get more games.

And was Notre Dame in the top 10 at the beginning of the college football season. :)

The part you dont get is you afraid to say...So I have a longshot to win the stanley cup. I will tell after the fact if I was right. Lol! :)

mackjogger
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by mackjogger » Tue May 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Tigers33 wrote:First of all it would not be shocking if a goalie not on the list played D1. It also wouldnt be shocking if a goalie on the list didnt play D1. Goalies will develop at different ages, and will typically play juniors longer than skaters to get more games.

And was Notre Dame in the top 10 at the beginning of the college football season. :)

The part you dont get is you afraid to say...So I have a longshot to win the stanley cup. I will tell after the fact if I was right. Lol! :)
I agree about development and that is exactly why I believe this kid is about to break out.

The longer a kid is OFF the radar the better for the kid...... Maybe a little afraid to expose the kid before he is ready and expose himself.

Suppose we will have to leave it at that.

Post Reply