Souix Falls Camp - MN Draftees & Walk-ons (Yon/Thie) *

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Of Sioux Falls Draftees (MN HS) & Walk-ons which player has best chance of making team

(F) Willie Brown (Hill 95') - 1st MN Draft Choice 2013
50%
(G) Sean Wendlandt (Hill 97' - Hudson) - 2nd MN Choice 2013
No votes
(F) Jack Becker (Mahtomedi 97') - 3rd MN Choice 2013
No votes
(G) Chase Perry (Andover 96') - 2nd MN Draftee (2012)
No votes
(G) Chase Perry (Andover 96') - 2nd MN Draftee (2012)
No votes
(F) Zach Yon (Roseau 95') - Undrafted Walk-on
38%
(F) Connor Thie (Minnetonka - Sr') - Undrafted Walk-on
No votes
(F) Westin Michaud (Cloquet - 95') - Undrafted Walk-on
13%

Total votes: 8

Granttenn

Souix Falls Camp - MN Draftees & Walk-ons (Yon/Thie) *

Post by Granttenn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:46 am

Soiux Falls USHL camp going on this weekend at Ridder. A handful of MN kids were drafted by the Herd but also some high profile walk-ons that got overlooked in the draft are in attendance. Surprised to see Zach Yon as an undrafted walk-on with his talent. I guess it shows how tough it is to get drafted in USHL with all the quality players..

Of current MN HS kids drafted by Sioux Falls this year (in order of selection) were (F) Willie Brown (Hill Murray Jr' 95'), (G) Sean Wendlant (Hill Murray 97') [From Hudson & 6'2" already], (F) Jack Becker (Mahtomedi Fr' 97') [definitely scouted the Classic Suburban].. From last year's draft were (G) Chase Perry (Jr' Andover) & (D) Jake Zeleznikar (Sr' Hermantown) [Though Z already played with team so I left him off of Poll which is why Chase Perry is listed as 2nd MN Draftee as he was taken after Jake but hasn't played or made team previously] They also drafted disgruntled Christian Horn from U of M but haven't seen him yet or confirmed attendance. Drafted a couple former MN HS kids now playing in other leagues like Jay Dickman (Johnson 93') who started with USHL Fargo but ended at NAHL Austin (55pts in 55 G) - but, again, my list was focused on current MN HS players.

Non-drafted walk-ons include (F) Westin Michaud (Cloquet Jr'), (F) Zach Yon (Roseau Jr') and (F) Connor Thie (Minnetonka Sr').. Definitely surprised that Zach Yon didn't get picked up by someone - he has the talent & size. Michaud I understand a little more as size may hurt him as well as D play but still wouldn't be totally surprised if he made team - he can put the puck in the net and is tenacious.

As far as draftee's having an edge in making the team over walk-ons, I think the team has to give the edge to their draft choices as there was a reason they drafted them and have an emotional attachment already so all things being equal (or close) I think they go with draftee..

Zach Yon I could see leaving Roseau if he made it, same with Michaud from Cloquet now that his brother is gone but I see Draftee's Willie Brown and Sean Wendlant going back to Hill Murray regardless (and being protected by team). Same for Draftee Becker, the to-be Soph (F) out of Mahtomedi who is an interesting 97' at 6'3" already (couldn't see team not putting him on protected list). Nice prospect, though I honestly hadn't heard much about him until USHL Draft - more a statement on my lack of knowledge rather than on his talent. He put up 27 points in regular season as a 9th grader - which is OK but not great considering schedule. I think size is the enticing aspect here, 6'3" at that age, I'd take a chance...

Speaking of size. After seeing some USHL games in-person this year, I really got to see how much size is an emphasis. Especially at D. Very physical league and draft choices reflect that. May be why Tyler Cline, the Michaud's & Gorowsky's were passed over & kids like Mario Bianchi (SR') 5'7" 155lbs (who had a great Elite League & 69 Reg. Season pts.) didn't go until pick #335. Just MHO.

Anybody have any other camp news. Feedback?

-
-
Last edited by Granttenn on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Murphy

Post by Murphy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:52 am

It will be interesting....if I am remembering correctly, all were drafted quite late. I would love to hear back from you after the weekend to see your thoughts on the process....and how it came out for the Minny players. Also interested in Horn and Dickman,

Vapor

Post by Vapor » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Yon played very well in morning game. Skilled, fast and a great shot. Heard from a scout that several teams considered drafting him, however he apparently is planning on staying in Roseau for his Senior year. Could have caused teams to wait IMO. Thie also played well. Quick and crafty with puck however size may be a factor. Should have a good chance on making team. Michaud is very good offensively, but he needs to play in both ends of the rink at the USHL level. Very competitive camp.

stackthepads35

Force tryouts

Post by stackthepads35 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 pm

The Force is also having their invite tryouts this weekend at St. Thomas

Granttenn

Yon

Post by Granttenn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:02 am

Vapor wrote:Yon played very well in morning game. Skilled, fast and a great shot. Heard from a scout that several teams considered drafting him, however he apparently is planning on staying in Roseau for his Senior year. Could have caused teams to wait IMO. Thie also played well. Quick and crafty with puck however size may be a factor. Should have a good chance on making team. Michaud is very good offensively, but he needs to play in both ends of the rink at the USHL level. Very competitive camp.

If Yon was sending out signals that he was going to stay in Roseau, why is he at camp? Plus if a team really liked him, they could have protected him for a year. I know one of the SFalls draft choices told team beforehand that he is most likely staying in school. The draft is about future prospects as much as anything else. Teams can protect two 95's and like five 96's and at least that many 97's. If I was a team, I definitely would have spend my pick at #450 on a kid like Yon on the chance he is coming out and/or to protect him for next year. Was there something just not there for the scouts??

Granttenn

Re: Force tryouts

Post by Granttenn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 am

stackthepads35 wrote:The Force is also having their invite tryouts this weekend at St. Thomas
Do you know of any MN HS walk-ons at the Force camp.. I have their draft list but it would be interesting to see who else is there.. Also interesting to see who makes team. One draftee from last year that really surprised me was (F) Aaron Herdt (Moorhead Jr') who was taken his Soph year. Saw him at state tourney semi's against Hill the year he was drafted by Force and he just didn't stand out at all (0 pts. at Tourney). Plus he only had 17pts that year and 33 this year. Am I missing something?. Curious to see if he makes the team or if they still protect him.

demongoed

Post by demongoed » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Does anyone have the All-Star rosters for the Sioux Falls camp?

WCHBlog

Post by WCHBlog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Minnesotans on the All-Star roster:

Joe Schuldt
Jack Dougherty
Jack Weiss
Conner Valesano
Jake Ahlgren
Nick Heid
Jay Dickman(didn't play Sun. night though)
Jake Zeleznikar
Jake O'Borsky
Rob Stautz
CJ Franklin
Brandon Parker
RJ Majkozak

They also do a Young Guns game though I didn't see a roster for that.

Granttenn

Post by Granttenn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:29 am

WCHBlog wrote:Minnesotans on the All-Star roster:

Joe Schuldt
Jack Dougherty
Jack Weiss
Conner Valesano
Jake Ahlgren
Nick Heid
Jay Dickman(didn't play Sun. night though)
Jake Zeleznikar
Jake O'Borsky
Rob Stautz
CJ Franklin
Brandon Parker
RJ Majkozak

They also do a Young Guns game though I didn't see a roster for that.
Pretty much all of those guys except Dickman and maybe one other were on main roster or played some games with them last year so none of the previously un-tendered draftees from last two years made it.. Tough camp. I figured either Brown or Yon would make it. I know they were both on Young Guns roster.