Logan Shore

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueliner5

Logan Shore

Post by blueliner5 »

Congrats to Coon Rapids Logan Shore named MN Mr. Baseball. Logan played hockey within the Coon Rapids Youth Hockey Association and decided to hang his skates up after his Bantam year to concentrate on baseball. Logan heads to Florida State to continue his baseball career. Another example of an athlete playing where his roots began. Good luck Logan in your promising future
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Congrats to Logan!!

But do kids really transfer for baseball.
BP

Post by BP »

Logan played for Coon Rapids Varsity Hockey his junior year as a d man. Also, he's heading to the University of Florida, not Florida State. Congrats on a great career Logan and getting a scholarship to a national power!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Tigers33 wrote:Congrats to Logan!!

But do kids really transfer for baseball.
Yes, actually hockey is probably at the low end of the "big"sports kids transfer for, wrestling is probably far and away the biggest transfer sport.

Jus to give you an idea of the money baseball has....Mitch Brown from Rochester Century (not a transfer btw) graduated high school last June and was the Indians second round draft choice, he signed for $800,000.

Speaking of baseball, Caleb Thiebar from Northfield still has a 0.00 ERA through 11.2 innings and 10 appearances with the Twins. :D
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Goldy

Thielbar played his high school ball for Randolph, not Northfield.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

"Big sports" equals hockey, football, and basketball.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Hockeydad, thanks, I knew that but still screwed it up. The Twins web site lists his hometown as Northfield.

Tigers33, wrestling's state tournament has outdrawn basketballs the last few years (2013 may be different I think largely due due Austin/DeLaSalle) and has been 3rd in attendance behind hockey and football.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Understand that but how many wrestling matches go on at one time? How many teams are down at the same venue?

I would be curious to know what is the attendance of a maple grove/champlin park wrestling match during the season? Compare that to the attendance for their hockey game, football game, and basketball.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Different schools have different attendance, from officiating football I can say attendance varies greatly from school to school. I see bigger crowds at some 2A schools than I see at some 5A schools, some places just support their sports more than others.

When my kids were in high school wrestling drew far more than basketball did. We we probably unusual in that regards but not alone.

Rochester schools are lucky to get 250 at a non intracity hockey game nowadays, a decade ago 700 was a small crowd for a routine non conference game. I think many places are similar in that attendance at high school events is shrinking.

Also a state tournament, by it's very nature, brings in people in for their once a year get together, basketball is so screwed up their attendance is half what once was.

To answer your question, wrestling has 8 mats. Though to be fair hockey and basketball have multiple venues going at the same time as well.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Explain to me how hockey has multiple venues going at the same time. Class A plays at one time. And class AA plays at another time. Within their own class they don't get overlapped.

Of those 8 mats...how many schools could be represented at one given time?

I would still say throughout the season - hockey, football, and basketball bring in more attendance and revenue.

I am sure someone can look this up.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

2011 mshsl revenues:
Hockey - 1,480,000
Football - 822,000
Boys basketball - 530,000
Wrestling - 488,000
Girls basketball - 289,000
Girls hockey - 282,000
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Hockey plays at Mariucci as well, attendance is combined AA and A and Mariucci and Excel Energy, wrestling has 4 mats of one class in individual competition and 4 with another class of team competition. In theory on those 8 mats 16 different schools could be represented at one time, a team dual at the state level takes about 90 minutes to complete, roughly the same as a hockey game if you take out the commercials.

Football draws around 100,000 for its state tournament, that's all 6 classes combined for a total of 42 games, 24 played at a single site, 12 semifinals played over 2 days and 1 day of finals. Last year it was 7 classes and 50 games and an addition handful of days. Basketball the last 3 years averaged 56,000, all 4 classes, a total of 32 games in 15 sessions at 3 venues - no consolation in basketball. In 2012 wrestling had 52,600 in six sessions at one venue, one quarter of the individuals are done in the first 3 hours of the first day. Hockey with less classes draws more at their two sites over 4 days than any of the other three sports.

I'd think over the regular season football dominates in revenue and attendance though since that is kept by the individual schools there is no way to know. I would tend to think basketball and wrestling both have more revenue than hockey during the regular season as a whole just by shear numbers - there are 100 more wrestling programs than hockey programs, basketball probably has 200 more teams than hockey does, and ice rental cuts deeply into revenue as well. I would wager most hockey games lose money after expenses, even the good teams on FSN play in front of nearly empty buildings or in small venues like the new one in WBL while gym rental isn't a factor. I would also guess that in sections hockey overtakes wrestling by a substantial margin in revenue and attendance.

I don't know if the state uses it but I suspect they do (based on girls hockey) in their revenue totals or not but hockey, football, and basketball sell tv rights and advertising (although it seems only to Tria Othopedics) while wrestling isn't on tv.

I have to admit until one of my kids quit hockey and went out for wrestling his senior year and his team made the state tournament I had no idea the draw the state wrestling tournament gets. I never would have guessed it was even a third of what it was.