U.S. Under 18 Select Team

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

U.S. Under 18 Select Team

Post by O-townClown »

There are 21 players on the U18 Select team that will compete in the Ivan Hlinka tournament next month. 8 Minnesotans.

G - none

D - Jack Dougherty (St. Thomas Acad), Nick Wolff (Eagan)

F - Paul Bittner (Portland Winterhawks), Keegan Iverson (Portland Winterhawks), Dylan Malmquist (Edina), Chase Phelps (Shattuck), Austin Poganski (St. Cloud Cathedral), Jake Wahlin (White Bear Lake)
Be kind. Rewind.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

I'm still trying to find out if Jake Wahlin's High School career is over. Anyone have any info?
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

Wahlin hasn't made a decision (publicly atleast) he was named one of the captains for next year so maybe that will get him to comeback? Also at the equipment turn in after the season he was going around saying "this is my locker for next year" but that could mean nothing as that was months ago. His dad wants him to leave but his mom wants him to stay so i guess we will have to see how it turns out. Hopefully he makes a decision soon because a lot of people in WBL are very curious
2012 pond hockey All Star
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

wblhcky24 wrote: His dad wants him to leave but his mom wants him to stay so i guess we will have to see how it turns out.
I guess we'll find out who wears the pants in the family.

:lol:
almostashappy

Re: U.S. Under 18 Select Team

Post by almostashappy »

O-townClown wrote:There are 21 players on the U18 Select team that will compete in the Ivan Hlinka tournament next month. 8 Minnesotans.

G - none

D - Jack Dougherty (NTDP), Nick Wolff (Eagan)

F - Paul Bittner (Portland Winterhawks), Keegan Iverson (Portland Winterhawks), Dylan Malmquist (Edina), Chase Phelps (Shattuck), Austin Poganski (St. Cloud Cathedral), Jake Wahlin (White Bear Lake)
There, fixed that for you (https://twitter.com/jackdougherty2/stat ... 0275705858)

I wonder if Vannelli is taking the news as well as Pauly did when he got poached. :cry:
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

Interesting viewpoint from Herb Brooks on the value of NTDP relative to other priorities and the structure of the Select Programs.

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online-ed ... hange.html
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Pond, this 18 Select team is along the lines of what Brooks was getting at in that article. The team USA Hockey sends for this tournament is kids that are not in Ann Arbor. Some high-end players are on a different path, which this acknowledges.
Be kind. Rewind.
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

O-townClown wrote:Pond, this 18 Select team is along the lines of what Brooks was getting at in that article. The team USA Hockey sends for this tournament is kids that are not in Ann Arbor. Some high-end players are on a different path, which this acknowledges.
O-Town, I am with you on the difference between NTDP and this U18 Select team. I thought it was interesting to see how forward thinking his ideas were. While I agree that this team has elements of the model discussed in the article, the Select 15's most closely resembles the model he recommends (at least in MN - I am not sure how other districts run their program).
Traveller

USA beats Russia

Post by Traveller »

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

USA just beat the Chechs, and play Canada for the Championship tommorrow. Jake Wahlin (WBL) scored in this game.