Elite League 2013

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

cooper26 wrote:If I hear "lifes lesson" to explain away unethical behavior one more time I'm going to puke. Just exactly WHAT life lesson are we to learn by stealing, cheating and blessing 9 year old kids as the "next big thing"? We finally got away from the "your kid must've got cut" crap every time someone questions the select tryout process, association tryouts etc. Then the "get involved and do something crowd" chimes in. Didn't mean to insult? What exactly did you mean then?
Exactly right. If some people want to call it unfixable and let it go as something you can't do anything about, fine - go ahead. But, what is their motive in coming on this forum and trying to squelch discussion? Debate and communication is where change begins. The system sucks. It is corrupt in many instances. To consider it any sort of healthy "life lesson" is ignorance. To take a parental, know-it-all attitude about it and lay it on others is just arrogance and, usually, an attempt to protect a system that has (or they think will) worked for them.[/quote]

The light shines bright on this one.

:idea:
nahc

Post by nahc »

=D> Could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

nahc wrote:=D> Could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those that think anyone critical of the league and the process is out of line may want to reserve judgement until they see who the coaches are going to be this year. You may not be so quick to tell others to "move on" and "get over it." Just sayin'
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

BSM, STA and Eagan players on North Team. Hmm, league cannot on find any players in N and NE Minnesota.

They can say all they want, system is broken. I do not have a kid that would be playing in league but saw this when he went through the program and how he was not given an opportunity because no connections or no coach to promote him.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

Maybe if the East Grand Forks coach wasn't coaching the Great Plains team, there would be more North players on this North Team. Because of him coaching that team, they placed 4 EGF players on the North team without tryouts, plus an additional 2 after tryouts. Many of players on this placed without trying out. Kind of a joke. Why does the EGF head coach feel the need to coach in this league?? BSM, Eagan and STA players also on the North when there are plenty of talented North region players that could be on this team.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Just not right. Coach involved = lots of their players. What is Elite about that.... :cry:
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Love the complaining from northerners.... And rightfully so.

However, here is my big complaint I am a guy in Southern MN you think you have it bad in the north???? The Elite League literally ignores Southern MN altogether....

Just saw this on another thread:

Logan Von Ruden, D-Sr. from Northfield is leaving early and going to play for the Magicians.

http://www.southernminn.com/northfield_ ... dfbf7.html

Here is why this upsetting.... Mr. Von Ruden is a solid payer he made Top 54 for 16's and 17's in the Spring. He was also invited to the Elite Tryout in July...The Kid wanted to stay home and play Elite League so he could continue to develop his game while staying home.... Yet he was not selected?? So he is forced to to look elsewhere and easily makes a Junior Team......

I thought the purpose of this league was for kids to stay home and not leave for Juniors. Well the League by not taking this deserving player who will be senior he is forced to look elsewhere to up his game... Just think it is sad the league got away from its original intent to keep kids home. Instead now they are taking 98 born players who are going to leave early anyways....

Here was a kid who most likely would of never went to the Junior Tryout had he been selected and now a Class A Program is killed by this defection.

Are hear you up North and I agree with you totally but it could be far worse. Only 2 Southern MN kids in the League both from Mankato West and honestley, Jutting is one and everyone knows he only made it because of who his dad is.... So basically only one Southern MN kid makes it on Merit because only 5 kids total were asked to the Tryout from Southern MN .

Just too bad I am a big 3A guy and you can rip me on that but our section has never had a kid make the league... Only one kid from Section 3A got the chance to tryout and he passed over for brand name city kids from (Edina, Wayzata, etc..)

I guess I just think the league has lost its way in some regards. Von Ruden is one example of why Southern hockey cannot keep up with the rest of the state. When good players do come through they cant stay at their school because places like Elite League hold where their from against them.

I just think it goes against why this league was originally made it was to keep Seniors at home... This year how many Sophomores did they take???

Just a thought from a guy in an area of the state that gets laughed at... However, their are still some diamonds in the rough down here just need to be given a chance, something the Elite League seems unwilling to give.

Just My 2 Cents from SouthWest MINNY....
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote: I just think it goes against why this league was originally made it was to keep Seniors at home... This year how many Sophomores did they take???
Just to play Devil's Advocate, here...

The Elite League is quick to note how many scouts attend their games. The fact that there are going to be scouts up in the stands is dangled in front of the top players as incentive to join the league. But at the same time, the scouts won't show up if the top players aren't there. Bit of a chicken and egg situation, actually.

Scouts don't bother watching D-league games. So the Elite League has incentive to roster the handful of younger kids that the scouts might already salivating over. Give them what they want to see, and they will come.

Now, whether scouts should be focusing much of their attention on a ninth-grader is a separate issue. For this argument, it's enough to acknowledge that they do.
observer

Post by observer »

Aint buying it almostashappy.

There should be no sophomores in the Elite League. NONE. The Elite D League is supposed to be connected to the Elite League and was designed for sophomores and juniors. I'm not feeling the connection. Brutal.

Totally agree with Section 3A Hockeyscout and feel bad for Von Ruden if he's worthy he should be playing Elite League and some sophomore or junior should put in his time with Elite D as it was supposedly designed.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Love the complaining from northerners.... And rightfully so.

However, here is my big complaint I am a guy in Southern MN you think you have it bad in the north???? The Elite League literally ignores Southern MN altogether....

Logan Von Ruden, D-Sr. from Northfield is leaving early and going to play for the Magicians.

Here is why this upsetting.... Mr. Von Ruden is a solid payer he made Top 54 for 16's and 17's in the Spring. He was also invited to the Elite Tryout in July...The Kid wanted to stay home and play Elite League so he could continue to develop his game while staying home.... Yet he was not selected?? So he is forced to to look elsewhere and easily makes a Junior Team......

I thought the purpose of this league was for kids to stay home and not leave for Juniors. Well the League by not taking this deserving player who will be senior he is forced to look elsewhere to up his game... Just think it is sad the league got away from its original intent to keep kids home. Instead now they are taking 98 born players who are going to leave early anyways....

Here was a kid who most likely would of never went to the Junior Tryout had he been selected and now a Class A Program is killed by this defection.

Are hear you up North and I agree with you totally but it could be far worse. Only 2 Southern MN kids in the League both from Mankato West and honestley, Jutting is one and everyone knows he only made it because of who his dad is.... So basically only one Southern MN kid makes it on Merit because only 5 kids total were asked to the Tryout from Southern MN .

Just too bad I am a big 3A guy and you can rip me on that but our section has never had a kid make the league... Only one kid from Section 3A got the chance to tryout and he passed over for brand name city kids from (Edina, Wayzata, etc..)

I guess I just think the league has lost its way in some regards. Von Ruden is one example of why Southern hockey cannot keep up with the rest of the state. When good players do come through they cant stay at their school because places like Elite League hold where their from against them.

I just think it goes against why this league was originally made it was to keep Seniors at home... This year how many Sophomores did they take???

Just a thought from a guy in an area of the state that gets laughed at... However, their are still some diamonds in the rough down here just need to be given a chance, something the Elite League seems unwilling to give.

Fugly to hear.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Love the complaining from northerners.... And rightfully so.

Killian from New Prague is also a Southern hockey player who made elite's. I do agree with you on all points!!
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Follow the money and who is getting paid, Coaches(?),referees, administrators if you know the approximate cost of the ice and you know the entry fee and have a roster of all teams then figure out what is left.
On another note if anyone truly believes that a coach with the power to select a player for a team will actually take the best player or a player from their HS team!
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

observer wrote:Aint buying it almostashappy.

There should be no sophomores in the Elite League. NONE. The Elite D League is supposed to be connected to the Elite League and was designed for sophomores and juniors. I'm not feeling the connection. Brutal.

Totally agree with Section 3A Hockeyscout and feel bad for Von Ruden if he's worthy he should be playing Elite League and some sophomore or junior should put in his time with Elite D as it was supposedly designed.
Well, I wasn't expecting you to "buy" the argument...just explaining how Lucifer's lawyer might make his case. :)

While the High Performance Program and Elite League share many of the same issues when it comes to who gets picked to play (and how), what goes on with Elite League selections bothers me far less. It's a private business, after all, with no obligations to be fair or geographically correct. Contrast that with non-profit Minnesota Hockey, which gets a small portion of the registration fees for every player in every community program. They have a far greater obligation to serve the entire state, and be fully transparent in how their HP teams are chosen, in my opinion.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

almostashappy wrote:
observer wrote:Aint buying it almostashappy.

Well, I wasn't expecting you to "buy" the argument...just explaining how Lucifer's lawyer might make his case. :)

While the High Performance Program and Elite League share many of the same issues when it comes to who gets picked to play (and how), what goes on with Elite League selections bothers me far less. It's a private business, after all, with no obligations to be fair or geographically correct. Contrast that with non-profit Minnesota Hockey, which gets a small portion of the registration fees for every player in every community program. They have a far greater obligation to serve the entire state, and be fully transparent in how their HP teams are chosen, in my opinion.
:shock:
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

I wasn't aware Von Ruden tried out for "Elite". If he did and was not selected, an absolute miss yet again with the politics and mystery coming in to play from the fancy coats. The sad thing is the "Elite" league would have been perfect for this small town player and is where he belongs as he's not ready for the jump to junior hockey playing against 19-20 year old men. The other part of the story is the local NAHL team taking a kid from a high school program which is probably a trend they want to avoid. Maybe Von Ruden will play with the Magicians before the HS season starts and pick-up some games after the HS season ends like many kids do with the USHL? This could make sense unlike if he was in fact was cut from the "Elite Elitists". As stated before make the Elite D available for in state/out of state red shirt freshman (including kids from HM, BSM or STAA), sophomores and juniors and the "Elite" league only available to juniors (say a max of 8 per team) and seniors.
Stars67

Post by Stars67 »

With possibly 3 goalies leaving.... (Perry dittmer and Keilly) how will they determine the remaining spots?
OneMoreYear

Post by OneMoreYear »

Stars67 wrote:With possibly 3 goalies leaving.... (Perry dittmer and Keilly) how will they determine the remaining spots?
Dittmer? Where might he be headed?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Stars67 wrote:With possibly 3 goalies leaving.... (Perry dittmer and Keilly) how will they determine the remaining spots?
I have only heard on 2 so far leaving. Kielly & Perry. Looks like Gerdes from EP was added and Sam Goetsch from Alexandria was added(?) Not sure where Goestch played - Hockey hub doesn't have any stats on him from last season at Alexandria - Also, it Looks like he played 3 games this past spring in the NA3HL....?? Maybe he transferred to Alex and had to play JV last season, not sure. I did see he played at Providence in 10th grade, but after that I don't know.

My impression was you had to tryout at the Elite League tryouts? Anyone know who picks the goalies?

Dittmer is listed on the Lincoln Stars protected list. Not sure if that is a sign or not...
http://www.lincolnstars.com/leagues/new ... page=71376