Elite League 2013

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SuperStar

Elite League 2013

Post by SuperStar »

After looking at the roosters. I broke them down in Grades & Schools. Not counting alternates or goalies - don't have that info yet.

Grade breakdown

GP: 20 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 1 Soph
North: 8 Seniors, 8 Juniors, 3 Sophs
NE: 14 Seniors, 3 Juniors,1 Soph, 1 9th
NW: 11 Seniors, 5 Juniors, 1 Soph
SE: 9 Seniors, 7 Juniors, 2 Sophs
SW: 10 Seniors, 6 Juniors, 2 Sophs

Schools with most players:[

Benilde, Blaine, East Grand Forks, Holy Family, Hill Murray & Wayzata lead the way - each with 5

Edina, STA, Warroad, each have 4

Burnsville, EP, Hermantown, Eagan, Roseau, Elk River,Brainerd, Centennial each have 3

Prior Lake, Spring Lake Park, Andover, Cathedral, St. Cloud Tech, Moorehead, Lakeville South, Crookston, ND/Fargo Area with 2 each.

Schools with 1: White Bear, Cretin, Henry Sibley, Eastview, Delano, Blake, New Prague, Mound, St. Cloud Apollo, Rosemount, Totino, Rogers, Maple Grove, Stillwater

Notables:
Duluth East, Cloquet and Denfield each with 1
Tonka - 1

Just 2 Kids south of the Metro - Mankato West (2)

Not sure if I caught every single school. My apologies if I didn't.

Thoughts/Rants/Praises??
Last edited by SuperStar on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
observer

Post by observer »

Almost without exception 9th and 10th graders should be playing Elite D. Probably some of the juniors they selected too.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Thanks for bumping this topic... last year we got started early on Elite League rants. This year not so much.

Top of my head, surprised to see them finally put a couple 1A kids in from the south. Normally you don't see anyone who isn't from Lourdes, so good on Mankato West. As mentioned on the 2013-2014 thread, West <i>could</i> be a State contender this year. They lost to Lourdes in the section final, and they return more than 90% of their scoring and two experienced goalies. Not that anyone cares about Region 1A or anything. :)

Team North should be very strong. What's this: Carter Roo listed at BSM???? Can't get no respect at Totino, I guess -- even if STA is out of the picture at 1A, and brother TJ graduated...Also, he'll be playing JV at Benilde per high school transfer rules, right???? (Not holding my breath.) Speaking of STA, Versich is a nice carpetbagger for Team North as well. This will be a very good team to watch with Pionk, Ausmus, Tweten, Eades, Bischoff. Loaded with top talent.

Team NE has some great names as well, along with -- ahem -- FRESHMAN Joey Anderson (OK, they REALLY want to keep this kid around, but he probably will be gone by next year given all the hype. They'll want to say, "Yeah, he played in the Elite League once upon a time."), Gorowsky, Slattery and Wahlin. Will Hale and Olmschenk live up to great expectations? Hale is a great player who just needs a shot of confidence. Olmschenk had better be spending the summer with Diane Ness.

Team NW looks solid.Darkhorse here -- Naas, Freytag, and Austin are all top notch players who were halfway in the shadows last year but could step onto center stage. Freytag deserves a lot more respect (Wayzata in general deserves more respect.. but, well, it's Wayzata. Minnetonka without the results.) This team isn't quite as loaded as others. A good team to be on if you're a high-performing unknown looking for some buzz.

Boeser, Novak, Sheehy, Funk will make SE one of the favorites. Boeser and Sheehy in particular will probably determine whether this team can beat SW or N. If they stay healthy and live up to the hype, yes. If not, nope. Novak is the best HS player in the state. (Don't give me the "he's Wisconsin" argument. Born in St. Paul, plays at STA, lives across the river.) Muck and Wolff are nice D from Eagan, another well coached program that deserves more respect.

Team SW is loaded, and a tough place for those aforementioned Mankato West kids to get a share of the glory. (Jutting has the name and the paternal clout to get some attention; can Frentz tally the crazy points playing with the Big Boys? I'm skeptical, but I like surprises.) Fidler is an unsung hero of Edina, sort of like Walsh was last year, though Fidler is a finesse player who can finish more often. Munson, Malmquist, Panvica, Newhouse -- all known quantities that can play mediocre and beat any of the other teams readily. Garin could have a tough time standing out in this crew.

IMO, elite league isn't so much a horse race as a horse show; it doesn't matter much who wins or who loses, but which kids stand out in this rarified company. It's a great chance for players that don't normally get mentioned to play up with all the names and show they deserve some respect... in other words, those players who made it through tryouts and didn't simply get an invitation. Alex Funk and TJ Moore were two players last year who really stepped up. It'll be fun to see who does this year.
observer

Post by observer »

Didn't Gleekel from Blake get some games last year? Not seeing him.

Why would Carter Roo make the Elite League playing JV for Benilde as a transfer?
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Shinbone_News wrote:Thanks for bumping this topic... last year we got started early on Elite League rants. This year not so much.

Top of my head, surprised to see them finally put a couple 1A kids in from the south. Normally you don't see anyone who isn't from Lourdes, so good on Mankato West. As mentioned on the 2013-2014 thread, West <i>could</i> be a State contender this year. They lost to Lourdes in the section final, and they return more than 90% of their scoring and two experienced goalies. Not that anyone cares about Region 1A or anything. :)

Team North should be very strong. What's this: Carter Roo listed at BSM???? Can't get no respect at Totino, I guess -- even if STA is out of the picture at 1A, and brother TJ graduated...Also, he'll be playing JV at Benilde per high school transfer rules, right???? (Not holding my breath.) Speaking of STA, Versich is a nice carpetbagger for Team North as well. This will be a very good team to watch with Pionk, Ausmus, Tweten, Eades, Bischoff. Loaded with top talent.

Team NE has some great names as well, along with -- ahem -- FRESHMAN Joey Anderson (OK, they REALLY want to keep this kid around, but he probably will be gone by next year given all the hype. They'll want to say, "Yeah, he played in the Elite League once upon a time."), Gorowsky, Slattery and Wahlin. Will Hale and Olmschenk live up to great expectations? Hale is a great player who just needs a shot of confidence. Olmschenk had better be spending the summer with Diane Ness.

Team NW looks solid.Darkhorse here -- Naas, Freytag, and Austin are all top notch players who were halfway in the shadows last year but could step onto center stage. Freytag deserves a lot more respect (Wayzata in general deserves more respect.. but, well, it's Wayzata. Minnetonka without the results.) This team isn't quite as loaded as others. A good team to be on if you're a high-performing unknown looking for some buzz.

Boeser, Novak, Sheehy, Funk will make SE one of the favorites. Boeser and Sheehy in particular will probably determine whether this team can beat SW or N. If they stay healthy and live up to the hype, yes. If not, nope. Novak is the best HS player in the state. (Don't give me the "he's Wisconsin" argument. Born in St. Paul, plays at STA, lives across the river.) Muck and Wolff are nice D from Eagan, another well coached program that deserves more respect.

Team SW is loaded, and a tough place for those aforementioned Mankato West kids to get a share of the glory. (Jutting has the name and the paternal clout to get some attention; can Frentz tally the crazy points playing with the Big Boys? I'm skeptical, but I like surprises.) Fidler is an unsung hero of Edina, sort of like Walsh was last year, though Fidler is a finesse player who can finish more often. Munson, Malmquist, Panvica, Newhouse -- all known quantities that can play mediocre and beat any of the other teams readily. Garin could have a tough time standing out in this crew.

IMO, elite league isn't so much a horse race as a horse show; it doesn't matter much who wins or who loses, but which kids stand out in this rarified company. It's a great chance for players that don't normally get mentioned to play up with all the names and show they deserve some respect... in other words, those players who made it through tryouts and didn't simply get an invitation. Alex Funk and TJ Moore were two players last year who really stepped up. It'll be fun to see who does this year.
North looks good. Gotta figure on Shepard for goalie for this team as he played last year for North. Should make them very formidable. BSM and/or STA represented on nearly every team?
BP

Post by BP »

observer wrote:.

Why would Carter Roo make the Elite League playing JV for Benilde as a transfer?
I'll bite.......so you really think Carter is going to BSM to play JV? No.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

BP wrote:
observer wrote:.

I'll bite.......so you really think Carter is going to BSM to play JV? No.
And even if he did - irrelevant here - he's good enough to play Elite, regardless of MNHSL transfer rules.
HockeyBum

Why the delay

Post by HockeyBum »

Why the delay with naming goalies? They had Saturday along with Sunday to look at them!
rudy

edina

Post by rudy »

Shinbone_News wrote:Thanks for bumping this topic... last year we got started early on Elite League rants. This year not so much.

re: "Fidler is an unsung hero of Edina, sort of like Walsh was last year, though Fidler is a finesse player who can finish more often."

last season Fidler was 8-7--15, Walsh 7-7-14. not much separation in the finish dept., but I agree that Fidler is poised to make some noise. Love the kid.
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

2 Question: When were the tryouts held and when did the 16s get back from NY?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Well, I'm happy to see there aren't any teams with 8 or 9 players this season. There are a few mild surprises here and there, but nothing glaring. It goes to show how open the field is this coming season--I'm not sure there's an immediately obvious top team or small group of teams.

Team North has had some non-northerners in past years, and I'm not surprised to see a few this year, since most of the top northeastern teams are either rebuilding or reloading this season.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Newbie question: Why does team Great Plains list 24 skaters (including 15 forwards), when all the other elite league teams seem to have just the standard twelve forwards and six D men?
stupidiswhatstupiddoes

Players cut from Elite League

Post by stupidiswhatstupiddoes »

If a Junior was invited to tryout for Elite League and was cut do they get automatically placed on a Elite D League roster or do they have to tryout if they want to play in D League?

Same questions as above, but for a Sophomore.
offtheglas

Post by offtheglas »

OU812 wrote:Newbie question: Why does team Great Plains list 24 skaters (including 15 forwards), when all the other elite league teams seem to have just the standard twelve forwards and six D men?
Interesting that EGF players switched teams this year or would it have been easier for a coach to step aside for a season!!!
offtheglas

Re: Why the delay

Post by offtheglas »

HockeyBum wrote:Why the delay with naming goalies? They had Saturday along with Sunday to look at them!
Don't think there is a delay apparently Heifort has been named a goalie as they posted on FB last week before player rosters announced
offtheglas

Post by offtheglas »

Thompson over Frailich for N?
Granttenn

Returning scorers

Post by Granttenn »

SE is looking pretty good since the top 3 overall returning goal scorers are on the roster. Someone mentioned "Boeser, Novak, Sheehy, Funk" will determine if SE rolls this year? Funk, who had 2 goals in the league last year? Great kid and all but really. With Spinner, W. Brown, Borchardt, and the others on this team. Strange choice of your top 4.. Especially when the top 3 returning scorers in the league are all back on SE and you only include 1 in your "4." I'll go with proven in this league before 1st timers. BTW Sheehy, Spinner & W. Brown had 30 goals between them while the rest of team (16 scorers totaled 40.)

SE was young last year and made a late run to make it to championship game but fell short. At least this year they didn't get a bunch of 2nd & 3rd line kids from EP and STA dumped in bulk onto the roster. That baffled a lot of people. Glad they found Burnsville & some other schools this year..

However, these teams are all pretty balanced - that's what I have learned the most over the last few years. I was at the Semi game when N came back with a couple of late goals to beat the highly favored NW with the impenetrable Chase Perry to win in OT. Best game of the year IMO. So on paper SW and NW looked dominant but you get a SE vs. N final....

Here are top returning Goal scorers from last year

1) Tyler Sheehy 11 (B'ville) SE
2) Steven Spinner 10 (EP) SE
3) Willie Brown 9 (Hill) SE
5) J Wahlin (soph) 9 (WBL) NE
6) Spencer Naas 8 (BSM) NW
7) M. Slattery 7 (Hill) NE
8) Chase Phelps 7 (SSM) SS
9) Petrella 7 (SSM) SS
10) Grasskamp 7 (EauC) WI

Returning Forwards who made one of the two All-Star teams at year end for Bauer NIT

Sheehy
Spinner
Sp. Naas
Grasskamp
J Wahlin
Z. Yon
W. Brown

Lists were exactly the same with exception of Yon making it and Slattery not. [And of course, SSM had their own team for this Bauer NIT]
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

I have heard that if a player in invited to try out for the Elite League and they don't make an elite league team and they are an underclassmen (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior) they are exempt from trying out for the D League and will be placed on a team.

Not sure if this is really true or an Urban Myth.

Can anyone enlighten us?
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Benilde actually has 5 players not 3
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Does anyone have any insight on players who are doing before and after with a their USHL team instead of playing in the Elite League?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

minnscout wrote:Benilde actually has 5 players not 3
Good catch. I changed it above. Thanks.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

In the past sophs and juniors not making the "Elite" league are guaranteed a spot on a D team. Other D team spots go to players where the HS coach pushes or other favors come in to play kind of like the Select teams. My guess is no more than a third of the spots are earned through the tryout process. Don't go in thinking there are 20 open spots to make a team when you shell out the $75. The real question since most else is pre-determined is what will the jerseys look like this year and who are the big sponsors?
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

A lot of good players south of 494 not given a chance. Hastings, Red Wing, Farmington, Rochester and Dodge County each have a nice group of kids that participated in the HP program.

They should just call it the Metro Elite league... it's a private business. Why BS people about what it really is?
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

SuperStar wrote:
minnscout wrote:Benilde actually has 5 players not 3
Good catch. I changed it above. Thanks.
Well, as long as you are updating...Eagan has 3 skaters, not 2. :wink:
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

observer wrote:Didn't Gleekel from Blake get some games last year? Not seeing him.

Why would you assume that he would have to play JV? If his parents made a move to a new residence, he can play varsity.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions