Section 7A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Froggy Richards

Section 7A

Post by Froggy Richards »

Is there anyone in the know on this Section that would care to do a preview? Does Marshall or anyone else have the horses to end Hermantown's State Tourney appearance run?
rainier

Re: Section 7A

Post by rainier »

Froggy Richards wrote:Is there anyone in the know on this Section that would care to do a preview? Does Marshall or anyone else have the horses to end Hermantown's State Tourney appearance run?
Here's my preseason prediction:

1. Hermantown- did sustain heavy losses, but reloads every year and also the transfer of Gotz from Hibbing will bolster the D corps. I'll believe they don't make it to state when I see it.

2. Duluth Marshall- not too far behind Hermantown, if at all. They have a lot of talent and return an excellent goaltender in Murray. Significant drop off in 7A after these top two.

3. Hibbing- lost a ton of scoring and the transfer of Gotz to Hermantown hurts their blue line. Even if the new coach injects some fresh life into the team, it will be tough to hang with the top two.

4. Denfeld- losing Thompson in nets and Talarico's offense will be hard to replace, but the program seems to be on the rise and they may surprise.

5. North Shore- an improving team that should be better than last season.

6. Virginia- hard to see how they will be any better than last season.

7. I-Falls- the loss of Mellstrom really hurts a team that was thin to begin with.
8. Greenway- seemed to have a better bantam team last year, so perhaps they will show some talented youngsters.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert

10. Ely

I think it will take a huge upset for anyone other than Hermantown or Marshall to make it to state.
Froggy Richards

Re: Section 7A

Post by Froggy Richards »

rainier wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:Is there anyone in the know on this Section that would care to do a preview? Does Marshall or anyone else have the horses to end Hermantown's State Tourney appearance run?
Here's my preseason prediction:

1. Hermantown- did sustain heavy losses, but reloads every year and also the transfer of Gotz from Hibbing will bolster the D corps. I'll believe they don't make it to state when I see it.

2. Duluth Marshall- not too far behind Hermantown, if at all. They have a lot of talent and return an excellent goaltender in Murray. Significant drop off in 7A after these top two.

3. Hibbing- lost a ton of scoring and the transfer of Gotz to Hermantown hurts their blue line. Even if the new coach injects some fresh life into the team, it will be tough to hang with the top two.

4. Denfeld- losing Thompson in nets and Talarico's offense will be hard to replace, but the program seems to be on the rise and they may surprise.

5. North Shore- an improving team that should be better than last season.

6. Virginia- hard to see how they will be any better than last season.

7. I-Falls- the loss of Mellstrom really hurts a team that was thin to begin with.
8. Greenway- seemed to have a better bantam team last year, so perhaps they will show some talented youngsters.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert

10. Ely

I think it will take a huge upset for anyone other than Hermantown or Marshall to make it to state.
Great Job, thanks. I was hoping it would be more than a two horse race though.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Denfeld

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Being a denfeld grad of 1993. I look at it as this. They had their chance the last two years to impress and break the stranglehold of hermantown, failed as we all know. Every game between denfeld and hermantown was close if you remember. I feel that the window has closed for them with the players that are gone. Does anyone remember if took great goaltending for past denfeld teams to make it and that is what it takes today. So the window has closed.