Northern Educate buys Vadnais Sports Center

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Northern Educate buys Vadnais Sports Center

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Article in the Star Tribune confirming the purchase price of $13 million is subject to Northern Educate obtaining financing to "close the deal".

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/229153451.html
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

Who are the financial backers of Northern Educate?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Marty McSorely wrote:Who are the financial backers of Northern Educate?
Good question. But I think it goes without saying that with this purchase they're going to need more of them.
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

More important than the "academy"....Does this mean we have to go back to playing White Bear teams at the old, dirty, white bear'ish rinks?
JoltDelivered

Re: f

Post by JoltDelivered »

Tenoverpar wrote:More important than the "academy"....Does this mean we have to go back to playing White Bear teams at the old, dirty, white bear'ish rinks?
Seeing that NE encourages their kids to play association hockey during the winter, I don't think you will see the White Bear youth program migrate away from VH anytime soon.
"I find tinsel distracting"
fastncrash

YIKES...

Post by fastncrash »

No offense to Northern Educate by any means, but whoever spearheaded the turn-down of $10.55M CASH, should be removed of their duties.
WarmUpTheBus

Re: YIKES...

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

fastncrash wrote:No offense to Northern Educate by any means, but whoever spearheaded the turn-down of $10.55M CASH, should be removed of their duties.
The bond holders wanted the Northern Educate bid. They will still get a 50%+ haircut. I believe Northern Educated should be able to find financing to pay $13 million for a facility that cost $26 million to build.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:I believe Northern Educated should be able to find financing to pay $13 million for a facility that cost $26 million to build.
I think the building's actual market value and its projected cash flow will be more important than its original construction cost.
goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:I believe Northern Educated should be able to find financing to pay $13 million for a facility that cost $26 million to build.
I think the building's actual market value and its projected cash flow will be more important than its original construction cost.
Seriously. And I'd love to see the assumptions built into any business plan that claims to be able to service that debt. This thing will be back on the market in 3 - 5 years.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

I know it won't happen, but I would like to see White Bear move back to Aldrich. Vadnias has the worst seating for fans. Whoever designed it has never been to a hockey game.
gardetto

Post by gardetto »

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Seriously. And I'd love to see the assumptions built into any business plan that claims to be able to service that debt. This thing will be back on the market in 3 - 5 years.

I doubt that The Woodcrofts have plenty of NHL backed money.
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

Who are the Woodcroft's?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Craig Woodcroft owns NEEHS/Reebok Nats. Based out of St. louis.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

The White Bear Press article said Northern Educate is the biggest user of the facility. How do they make a go of it if they are renting time to themselves?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

inthetwine wrote:The White Bear Press article said Northern Educate is the biggest user of the facility. How do they make a go of it if they are renting time to themselves?
Now they won't have to use tuition to buy ice time for one thing.
57special

Post by 57special »

I hope you at kidding.
goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses »

Ice Arenas are expensive to operate. Last year Braemar, which has been around forever and probably has very little capital depreciation, LOST $640K. The annual interest on 13 million at 5% is $650K, let alone any principal payment. Best of luck to them but I just don't see it. I would have taken the cash offer.
57special

Post by 57special »

Are you sure about the Braemar figure. It was less than half that the year before (2011). Maybe that's with all the new construction written in ?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Update on Northern Educate's pending purchase of the Vadnais Sports Center and their decision to cut operations in Eagan and at the National Sports Center. The article does not explain what impact, if any, these cutbacks could have on its pending purchase which was subject to obtaining financing.

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/235501011.html

Also, if the purchase falls through what impact might this have on Achiever Academy?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Update on Northern Educate's pending purchase of the Vadnais Sports Center and their decision to cut operations in Eagan and at the National Sports Center. The article does not explain what impact, if any, these cutbacks could have on its pending purchase which was subject to obtaining financing.

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/235501011.html

Also, if the purchase falls through what impact might this have on Achiever Academy?
Sounds like achiever went down with it. Kids have been looking for other places to play for a while.
BP

Post by BP »

Is this whole thing done then? NE and AA?
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Talk arund the stadium at last Saturday's game was that they are also buying out WBL's contract to play thier games there, and WB wll have to find new home ice for next year. I would love to move back to Aldrich.
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

I'm just wondering what would of happened if Woodbury had approved the 8 rink complex, privately owned, like 5 years ago..
bemused

Post by bemused »

inthetwine wrote:Talk arund the stadium at last Saturday's game was that they are also buying out WBL's contract to play thier games there, and WB wll have to find new home ice for next year. I would love to move back to Aldrich.

Looks like you will be playing in the the newest Ramsey Co. arena..the Vadnais Sports Center
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Sounds to me like they are canceling arena rentals because they have their own arena.