Under the radar Hornet lands on D-I roster

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sartellcelly

Under the radar Hornet lands on D-I roster

Post by Sartellcelly »

Congratulations to No. 5 for the Princeton Tigers:

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/SportS ... PSID=46869
The Exiled One

Re: Under the radar Hornet lands on D-I roster

Post by The Exiled One »

Sartellcelly wrote:Congratulations to No. 5 for the Princeton Tigers:
As a walk-on I presume?

I like these kinds of stories. I always hope they turn into "Rudy" moments. SCSU has St. Francis graduate T.J. Belisle on their roster... same idea.

EDIT: And yes, I realize that Princeton doesn't support athletic scholarships and therefore they're all "walk-on" players, in a sense. What I'm referring to is a kid who's already enrolled before he comes to the attention of the hockey coaches. That was Belisle's case, anyway. If the coach invites them on to the roster before they're enrolled and without a scholarship offer, they're typically considered a "recruited walk-on" as opposed to a "true walk-on" like the famous Rudy.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperStar

Re: Under the radar Hornet lands on D-I roster

Post by SuperStar »

The Exiled One wrote:
Sartellcelly wrote:Congratulations to No. 5 for the Princeton Tigers:
As a walk-on I presume?

I like these kinds of stories. I always hope they turn into "Rudy" moments. SCSU has St. Francis graduate T.J. Belisle on their roster... same idea.

EDIT: And yes, I realize that Princeton doesn't support athletic scholarships and therefore they're all "walk-on" players, in a sense. What I'm referring to is a kid who's already enrolled before he comes to the attention of the hockey coaches. That was Belisle's case, anyway.
Pretty cool!
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

This is pretty awesome -- and rostered as a true freshman to boot.

Course, any walk-on with good grades from Edina (and a state ship team at that) is going to get an extra look one would think.

Looks like Princeton is very open to MN players. Skrbich, Rush, Zajac, and Siiro. Zajac also a true frosh, though less of a surprise there.
westsidestory

Post by westsidestory »

Regardless of the semantics (e.g., "recruited walk-on," "recruit with athletic scholarship," etc.), it is ironic that Hayden's former blue line partner, Matt Nelson, an "on the radar" Princeton recruit, has been told by the school to hone his skills for a year in the USHL (first with the Green Bay Gamblers and now with the Omaha Lancers), while Hayden was able to go straight to college and play this year.
Simpleton

Post by Simpleton »

Great story, no doubt. Curious if anyone knows: i) what likely prevented him from being 'on the radar'; ii) what attributes enabled him to make the jump after all?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

westsidestory wrote:play this year.
You misspelled "practice". Nelson will (eventually) play.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Simpleton wrote:Great story, no doubt. Curious if anyone knows: i) what likely prevented him from being 'on the radar'; ii) what attributes enabled him to make the jump after all?
i) Lack of talent
ii) Enrolled at Princeton when they happened to have a roster spot open

Sorry if that comes off as harsh, but it looks like he was just the beneficiary of right place/right time. That doesn't mean it's still not a great story.
westsidestory

Post by westsidestory »

Thanks "The Exiled One." You're probably right on both counts, but still a neat story. Congrats and Best of Luck to Hayden.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Is this the kid from Colorado that played in the MnJHL for a season before Varsity as a 12th grader?
Be kind. Rewind.
green4

Post by green4 »

O-townClown wrote:Is this the kid from Colorado that played in the MnJHL for a season before Varsity as a 12th grader?
No hayden has played in edina since the start. You are thinking of Ben Hull and he ended up getting scratched from the team before playoffs.

Congrats to Hayden though! as someone from Edina this is surprising! He never seemed to be on the same level as Reno and Nelson but im very excited to see this!

What makes this a even better story is hayden was thought of as the weakest defenseman for that age group behind reno, nelson and hatch and many thought he was going to get cut his senior year. A lot of this speculation resulted from the state tournament as a Soph and Junior when both times he was blown past which led to the winning goals when playing duluth east in overtime in the semi's and Benilde with 30 seconds left in the first round. He then came back and had a great year as a senior and here he is now making another big step

Way to go Hayden!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Most Ivy League student athletes don't pay a dime for school. They're actually getting a much better deal from rich alumni than most are getting with partial scholarships at other schools.
57special

Post by 57special »

MrBoDangles wrote:Most Ivy League student athletes don't pay a dime for school. They're actually getting a much better deal from rich alumni than most are getting with partial scholarships at other schools.

My limited experience (knew parent of kid who played for Harvard) says you're wrong. Said parent worked butt off to pay tuition/living expenses.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

57special wrote:My limited experience (knew parent of kid who played for Harvard) says you're wrong. Said parent worked butt off to pay tuition/living expenses.
Correct. If a player (any sport) has wealthy parents, he gets nothing from the school. Ivy League scholarships are strictly need-based. Where the Ivies do differ is the cut-off point as some are more generous than others in determining the extent of financial need.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

57special wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Most Ivy League student athletes don't pay a dime for school. They're actually getting a much better deal from rich alumni than most are getting with partial scholarships at other schools.

My limited experience (knew parent of kid who played for Harvard) says you're wrong. Said parent worked butt off to pay tuition/living expenses.
How long ago? It's more of a new thing, but almost all other than the super rich are getting all to most expenses covered.

I know a family with an Ivy League athlete that earns in the 150,000 range (not poor) that only had to pay for books and a couple other minor things.. 5% of the tuition rings a bell.
57special

Post by 57special »

About 7-8 years ago. Now that I think of it, I knew another non-hockey athlete who went to Princeton and was on the rowing team. The way I remember it is that they got no financial break at all, but some consideration academically. In other words, his marks were very good, but not enough to distinguish himself. The rowing it what set him apart from other applicants...
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

57special wrote:About 7-8 years ago. Now that I think of it, I knew another non-hockey athlete who went to Princeton and was on the rowing team. The way I remember it is that they got no financial break at all, but some consideration academically. In other words, his marks were very good, but not enough to distinguish himself. The rowing it what set him apart from other applicants...
Right--having a talent that the other thousands of bright and high-achieving students don't have can be a huge help in the admissions process. That's true with just about any college, but at an Ivy or similar institution, where most of the applicants have incredibly high grades and credentials, it can be a difference-maker.

That's admissions only, though. When it comes to financial aid, it is all need-based--no academic scholarships, no athletic scholarships. As MNHockeyFan said, the schools have different definitions of what "need" is, though. The ones with the largest endowments (ie. Harvard) tend to be very generous with scholarship money, while others might say that "awarding" a student a federal loan "meets" their need.

With most private colleges these days, unless you're very wealthy and would be paying full tuition anyway, the sticker price is pretty much meaningless. The Ivies and other high-end schools that "meet 100% of need" are usually the best bets financially, but it can get very complicated. You need to apply, get accepted, and get your financial aid letter before you have a real grasp on how much you might be paying.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

I believe saying most don't pay a dime is an exageration. Saying most receive financial aid may be more accurate.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
57special wrote:My limited experience (knew parent of kid who played for Harvard) says you're wrong. Said parent worked butt off to pay tuition/living expenses.
Correct. If a player (any sport) has wealthy parents, he gets nothing from the school. Ivy League scholarships are strictly need-based. Where the Ivies do differ is the cut-off point as some are more generous than others in determining the extent of financial need.
At Yale family income must be below $65,000 to qualify for 100% aid.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:At Yale family income must be below $65,000 to qualify for 100% aid.
With the nation's largest endowment of around $31 Billion, Harvard has become a lot more generous in awarding need-based scholarships. From the article below:

"Families with typical assets and incomes up to $150,000 will pay from zero to 10 percent of their income, depending on individual family circumstances."

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... es-by-10m/
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:At Yale family income must be below $65,000 to qualify for 100% aid.
With the nation's largest endowment of around $31 Billion, Harvard has become a lot more generous in awarding need-based scholarships. From the article below:

"Families with typical assets and incomes up to $150,000 will pay from zero to 10 percent of their income, depending on individual family circumstances."

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... es-by-10m/
And the benefits become even better when trying to attract top end athletes..

Less than a "dime" ?

:wink:
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
I believe saying most don't pay a dime is an exageration. Saying most receive financial aid may be more accurate.
They might have to buy their own lunch card.....
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I think if you do a little research you'll realize that almost all Ivy's are need based when it comes to financial aid. ZERO athletic scholarships, academic scholarships....very rare for hockey players ...and enormous endowments that help defer the cost for the students whose family can't afford 60K a year in tuition. I'd be very skeptical of any behind the scenes alumni paying for an athletes school. Pretty sure the NCAA would take issue with that. For the average family the cost at Yale or Harvard will be about what you'd likely pay for an in state public education. Unfortunately most of today's hockey players are coming from an above average income background. As always the real prize is being admitted at all. A great student can score a 33 or 34 on the ACT and not even get a sniff from the two schools mentioned above, An exceptional hockey player can score a 26 or 27 and get in. A degree from an institution like these is hard to even put a price tag on, suffice it to say the alumni do a good job of taking care of each other.
hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice »

Many of us are or work with Ivy league graduates. I believe that a good and motivated student can obtain an excellent education from most of the colleges and universities in this country. In my opinion, what separates the best institutions from the good institutions is the strength of the alumni network, not the size of the endowments, although the two have a strong correlation. In this era of extreme competition for the best jobs, in my experience, the schools that have the strongest alumni network (i.e., formally and informally the alums look out for each other) are: 1. The USMA at West Point, 2. The Naval Academy, 3. Harvard, 4. Yale, 5. Notre Dame, 6. Princeton, 7. Stanford, 8. Air Force Academy, 9. Dartmouth, 10. Columbia, 11. Cornell, 12. Georgetown, 13. Duke, 14. Brown, 15. The Citadel, 16. Virginia Military Institute, 17. Boston College, 18. Middlebury, 19. Williams, 20. Amherst, 21. MIT, 22. Northwestern, 23. University of Chicago, 24. Penn State, and 25. University of Michigan. There are other schools that should be added to this list, but, in encountering alums from the schools I listed, I have been impressed with how they look out for their fellow alums. The Service Academies and the Senior Military Colleges seem to do the best job, but the Notre Dame network is probably the best among the non-military universities and colleges.

In the end, whether a kid pays full tuition or no tuition, the strength of the alumni network should be factored into any college selection decision making process, even if you are a hockey player from Edina or a Mr. Hockey finalist. Of the 25 schools I listed, 12 have Division I hockey programs. I like the NCAA commercial that touts that there are over 400,000 NCAA athletes and just about all of them "will be going pro in something other than sports." The Minnesota high school hockey players who commit to play hockey at West Point, Dartmouth, Princeton, Cornell, or Brown will not likely win a National Championship (or even play on a team that has a winning record), but they will have a deep bench of alumni support as they progress in their chosen professions.

By the way, West Point and Air Force charge zero tuition, as does the Naval Academy (but Navy has a club hockey program, not a Division I program). Of course, the DOD extracts reimbursement from its academy students in other ways.

Hats off to Hayden Anderson for having the courage to try out and earning a spot on the Princeton Tigers team. I suspect some of us will work for Mr. Anderson some day.
rudy

ivy league, etc.

Post by rudy »

hockey_is_a_choice wrote:Many of us are or work with Ivy league graduates. I believe that a good and motivated student can obtain an excellent education from most of the colleges and universities in this country. In my opinion, what separates the best institutions from the good institutions is the strength of the alumni network, not the size of the endowments, although the two have a strong correlation. In this era of extreme competition for the best jobs, in my experience, the schools that have the strongest alumni network (i.e., formally and informally the alums look out for each other) are: 1. The USMA at West Point, 2. The Naval Academy, 3. Harvard, 4. Yale, 5. Notre Dame, 6. Princeton, 7. Stanford, 8. Air Force Academy, 9. Dartmouth, 10. Columbia, 11. Cornell, 12. Georgetown, 13. Duke, 14. Brown, 15. The Citadel, 16. Virginia Military Institute, 17. Boston College, 18. Middlebury, 19. Williams, 20. Amherst, 21. MIT, 22. Northwestern, 23. University of Chicago, 24. Penn State, and 25. University of Michigan. There are other schools that should be added to this list, but, in encountering alums from the schools I listed, I have been impressed with how they look out for their fellow alums. The Service Academies and the Senior Military Colleges seem to do the best job, but the Notre Dame network is probably the best among the non-military universities and colleges.

In the end, whether a kid pays full tuition or no tuition, the strength of the alumni network should be factored into any college selection decision making process, even if you are a hockey player from Edina or a Mr. Hockey finalist. Of the 25 schools I listed, 12 have Division I hockey programs. I like the NCAA commercial that touts that there are over 400,000 NCAA athletes and just about all of them "will be going pro in something other than sports." The Minnesota high school hockey players who commit to play hockey at West Point, Dartmouth, Princeton, Cornell, or Brown will not likely win a National Championship (or even play on a team that has a winning record), but they will have a deep bench of alumni support as they progress in their chosen professions.

By the way, West Point and Air Force charge zero tuition, as does the Naval Academy (but Navy has a club hockey program, not a Division I program). Of course, the DOD extracts reimbursement from its academy students in other ways.

Hats off to Hayden Anderson for having the courage to try out and earning a spot on the Princeton Tigers team. I suspect some of us will work for Mr. Anderson some day.
=D> =D> =D>