Section 1 A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
OU812
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by OU812 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Final -

Mankato West 15
Mankato East 1

Roy01
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Post by Roy01 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Results for 1/21 -

Lourdes over Red Wing: 4-1
Dodge County over Waseca: 4-3
New Prague over Albert Lea: 6-0
LSP over Faribault: 5-3
Mankato West over Mankato East: 15-1
La Crescent over Viroqua (WI): 8-2

Ready2GoYet
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Post by Ready2GoYet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:38 am

Games for Thursday, 1/23:

Waseca at Fairmont
Rosemount at Rochester Lourdes
Rochester Century at Winona
West Salem at La Crescent
Mankato West at Austin
Rochester John Marshall at Faribault
Albert Lea at Owatonna
Mankato East at Rochester Mayo

Chalk_Talk
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 am

Post by Chalk_Talk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:50 pm

There has been little chatter on here lately. How are your favorite teams looking? Are there injuries? Flu? Someone has a PP unit that is unstoppable? Young kids stepping up?

It looks like the top teams are taking care of business and the rest is muddy water.

1. Np
2. west
3/4 Albert Lea (best team they beat, Simley?) or jm
3/4 lourdes- tough schedule but only 4 wins, Northfield, Eau Claire, New Ulm (in ot) and Red Wing (hub has Lourdes getting out shot 34-21)

No particular order
Faribault, beat Albert lea at home 2-1, Lost @ St pete 5-3, tied northfield

Northfield, beat New Ulm 5-4 (same score as lourdes vs Nu), beat red wing 9-5, lost to lourdes 7-2, tough for them to move up in section rankings they only have New Prague and Red Wing left for section games

La Crescent, beat Austin 7-3 first game of the year, beat Kato East, beat Waseca twice, have st pete left on the schedule. Tough to judge this team with lack of common opp., seams like they could be a sneaky team and knock someone off during playoffs

Red Wing, only have 3 wins, beat Holy Angels 3-2, beat winona 2-1, beat shakopee, lost to New Prage 10-1, lost to lourdes 4-1 but out shot them 34-21. Another one, if you don't show up they will beat you, ask holy angels

St pete/les, have 9 wins, biggest win is either New Ulm 5-3 (then lost rematch 7-0) or beating Faribo 5-3, 7 road games remain on schedule, should win all those games and still not move up in the rankings

Austin
Winona
Kato East
Waseca

my 2 cents

Chalk_Talk
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 am

Post by Chalk_Talk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm

I was just looking back at Lourdes schedule. Yes, it is tough but they only have 4 wins, with none of them being big wins.

Wins
Red Wing 4-1 hub has lourdes getting out shot 34-21
Eau Claire Mem 4-3 (lost to them earlier 0-6)
New Ulm 5-4 in ot, @ home
Northfield 7-2, 3rd game of the season, this win might be the signature win for seedings

I'm not trying to take a shot a Lourdes with the post, because I respect the program and what they have done.

So, Lourdes is basically going to get judged and seeded off how bad their loses are? And maybe the history of the program. It seams strange looking at a team that way.

Where do people think they will be seeded? they could be 3-6 or so? Just wondering what people thinking?

urban iceman
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 am

Post by urban iceman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:00 pm

I would not count out Lourdes. Come sections anything could happen.
Speaking of PP's, I was impressed with Northfield's , they scored 3 on New Prague on the PP and a couple on West! They moved the puck really well.

Section 3A HockeyScout
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 am

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:21 pm

OU812 wrote:Final -

Mankato West 15
Mankato East 1
Urbaniceman was very vocal about the disapproval and lack of sportsmanship about the Luverne Faithful over on the 3a Thread last week when they had an almost identical score they put up on Redwood Valley.

What's your thoughts on your Section 1A foe doing the same thing last night?

OU812
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by OU812 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
OU812 wrote:Final -

Mankato West 15
Mankato East 1
Urbaniceman was very vocal about the disapproval and lack of sportsmanship about the Luverne Faithful over on the 3a Thread last week when they had an almost identical score they put up on Redwood Valley.

What's your thoughts on your Section 1A foe doing the same thing last night?
Can't speak for Urbaniceman, but I didn't hear any complaining from fans on either side about sportsmanship after the game. There is usually decent respect shown between these squads. Part of that is because in Mankato, East/Loyola and West kids play on the same teams throughout youth hockey, until they split for high school, so they are generally friends as well as former teammates.

As for the game itself, West was up 7-0 in the first nine minutes, and 12-1 after two periods. They rolled all three lines until the third, when they pulled the top two lines and played the third line, plus a fourth line with JV players the rest of the game (which was in running time by then).

Section 3A HockeyScout
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 am

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:16 pm

OU812 wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
OU812 wrote:Final -

Mankato West 15
Mankato East 1
Urbaniceman was very vocal about the disapproval and lack of sportsmanship about the Luverne Faithful over on the 3a Thread last week when they had an almost identical score they put up on Redwood Valley.

What's your thoughts on your Section 1A foe doing the same thing last night?
Can't speak for Urbaniceman, but I didn't hear any complaining from fans on either side about sportsmanship after the game. There is usually decent respect shown between these squads. Part of that is because in Mankato, East/Loyola and West kids play on the same teams throughout youth hockey, until they split for high school, so they are generally friends as well as former teammates.

As for the game itself, West was up 7-0 in the first nine minutes, and 12-1 after two periods. They rolled all three lines until the third, when they pulled the top two lines and played the third line, plus a fourth line with JV players the rest of the game (which was in running time by then).
Not saying there should be any hard feelings. West has a great team this year.

Luverne was up 7-0 after one and 13-0 after 2. So very similar to the West vs. East game. Just was curious because urban iceman was blasting Section 3A on our thread for lack of respect for the game was curious now that it happened in 1A if the feelings were the same

urban iceman
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 am

Post by urban iceman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:22 pm

OU812 wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
OU812 wrote:Final -

Mankato West 15
Mankato East 1
Urbaniceman was very vocal about the disapproval and lack of sportsmanship about the Luverne Faithful over on the 3a Thread last week when they had an almost identical score they put up on Redwood Valley.

What's your thoughts on your Section 1A foe doing the same thing last night?
Can't speak for Urbaniceman, but I didn't hear any complaining from fans on either side about sportsmanship after the game. There is usually decent respect shown between these squads. Part of that is because in Mankato, East/Loyola and West kids play on the same teams throughout youth hockey, until they split for high school, so they are generally friends as well as former teammates.

As for the game itself, West was up 7-0 in the first nine minutes, and 12-1 after two periods. They rolled all three lines until the third, when they pulled the top two lines and played the third line, plus a fourth line with JV players the rest of the game (which was in running time by then).
3A Scout,
They didn't do the same thing, as was said their TOP PLAYERS DIDN'T PLAY IN 3rd! That's the problem I had with the luverne game, they had top guys still out there scoring in the 3rd period in that game. That bothered me more than the 16-0 score really.

Section 3A HockeyScout
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 am

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:35 pm

urban iceman wrote:
OU812 wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
OU812 wrote:Final -

Mankato West 15
Mankato East 1
Urbaniceman was very vocal about the disapproval and lack of sportsmanship about the Luverne Faithful over on the 3a Thread last week when they had an almost identical score they put up on Redwood Valley.

What's your thoughts on your Section 1A foe doing the same thing last night?
Can't speak for Urbaniceman, but I didn't hear any complaining from fans on either side about sportsmanship after the game. There is usually decent respect shown between these squads. Part of that is because in Mankato, East/Loyola and West kids play on the same teams throughout youth hockey, until they split for high school, so they are generally friends as well as former teammates.

As for the game itself, West was up 7-0 in the first nine minutes, and 12-1 after two periods. They rolled all three lines until the third, when they pulled the top two lines and played the third line, plus a fourth line with JV players the rest of the game (which was in running time by then).
3A Scout,
They didn't do the same thing, as was said their TOP PLAYERS DIDN'T PLAY IN 3rd! That's the problem I had with the luverne game, they had top guys still out there scoring in the 3rd period in that game. That bothered me more than the 16-0 score really.
They didn't do the same thing, as was said their TOP PLAYERS DIDN'T PLAY IN 3rd! That's the problem I had with the luverne game, they had top guys still out there scoring in the 3rd period in that game.

Huh ?!?!?!

Galt Goettl who is 5th on the team in scoring had the first goal West put in the third.]

Max Mettler Assisted the goal they scored in the third he is 3rd on the team in scoring

Finally Scott Mcckissick assisted the last goal West scored in the 3rd and he is 7th on the team in scoring.

Just saying I know Goettl, Mettler and Mcckissick are top end guys for West and they were playing and scoring in the third.

That is all I am saying. It is the SAME situation you blasted 3A for having no respect for the game just trying to point out it doesnt only happen in Section 3A. It Happens in 1A as well.

I will not say West didnt lack respect for the game those things just sometime happen.

Mankato West is a Great Team I wish them Luck. I wish Urban Iceman's New Prague Trojans luck as well. Hoping that is the Section 1A final. I would even be willing to buy Urban Iceman a beer if the Trojans win it.

Good Luck to both and the rest of Section 1A on your seasons!

I was really hoping that when they re-aligned the Sections that Mankato West would be placed in Section 3A. I do believe that both West and New Prague deserve to get to State this year. West Would of have walked through 3A. I just hope either NP or West can knock off the private school!

urban iceman
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 am

Post by urban iceman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
urban iceman wrote:
OU812 wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
OU812 wrote:Final -

Mankato West 15
Mankato East 1
Urbaniceman was very vocal about the disapproval and lack of sportsmanship about the Luverne Faithful over on the 3a Thread last week when they had an almost identical score they put up on Redwood Valley.

What's your thoughts on your Section 1A foe doing the same thing last night?
Can't speak for Urbaniceman, but I didn't hear any complaining from fans on either side about sportsmanship after the game. There is usually decent respect shown between these squads. Part of that is because in Mankato, East/Loyola and West kids play on the same teams throughout youth hockey, until they split for high school, so they are generally friends as well as former teammates.

As for the game itself, West was up 7-0 in the first nine minutes, and 12-1 after two periods. They rolled all three lines until the third, when they pulled the top two lines and played the third line, plus a fourth line with JV players the rest of the game (which was in running time by then).
3A Scout,
They didn't do the same thing, as was said their TOP PLAYERS DIDN'T PLAY IN 3rd! That's the problem I had with the luverne game, they had top guys still out there scoring in the 3rd period in that game. That bothered me more than the 16-0 score really.
They didn't do the same thing, as was said their TOP PLAYERS DIDN'T PLAY IN 3rd! That's the problem I had with the luverne game, they had top guys still out there scoring in the 3rd period in that game.

Huh ?!?!?!

Galt Goettl who is 5th on the team in scoring had the first goal West put in the third.]

Max Mettler Assisted the goal they scored in the third he is 3rd on the team in scoring

Finally Scott Mcckissick assisted the last goal West scored in the 3rd and he is 7th on the team in scoring.

Just saying I know Goettl, Mettler and Mcckissick are top end guys for West and they were playing and scoring in the third.

That is all I am saying. It is the SAME situation you blasted 3A for having no respect for the game just trying to point out it doesnt only happen in Section 3A. It Happens in 1A as well.

I will not say West didnt lack respect for the game those things just sometime happen.

Mankato West is a Great Team I wish them Luck. I wish Urban Iceman's New Prague Trojans luck as well. Hoping that is the Section 1A final. I would even be willing to buy Urban Iceman a beer if the Trojans win it.

Good Luck to both and the rest of Section 1A on your seasons!

I was really hoping that when they re-aligned the Sections that Mankato West would be placed in Section 3A. I do believe that both West and New Prague deserve to get to State this year. West Would of have walked through 3A. I just hope either NP or West can knock off the private school!
I would say that your argument now is correct. If MW would have played before my post on Luverne my argument might have looked a little better.
Good luck to your team also! Enjoy your posts on 3A, that why I stray over there once in awhie :lol:

OU812
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by OU812 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:19 pm

West top two forward lines, for game v East last night:

Frentz, Campbell, Filler
Loe, Klemme, Erickson

They sat out the third period. Just FYI.

Good thread.

justlivin
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 9:50 am

Post by justlivin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Goettl's goal in the third was on the PK
Baker is a sophomore playing his first v start
Weber goal was also PK
Mettler and mckissick points were assists and not to many teams in 1a have
3-4 sets of d men to roll
Relax

notTONIGHT
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:47 pm

justlivin wrote:Goettl's goal in the third was on the PK
Baker is a sophomore playing his first v start
Weber goal was also PK
Mettler and mckissick points were assists and not to many teams in 1a have
3-4 sets of d men to roll
Relax
I think you may be missing the reason it was brought up.

Urban Iceman laid into Luverne for winning 16-0 against redwood. Claiming Luverne doesnt respect the game of hockey. Urban Iceman also went on to say that he will no longer root for Luverne because they appear to be overdosing on their success.

3A hockey scout pointed out that West did the same thing last night.

This swayed Urban icemans opinions.

All appears well.

Everyone is indeed relaxed.

For now :lol:

urban iceman
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 am

Post by urban iceman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:01 am

notTONIGHT wrote:
justlivin wrote:Goettl's goal in the third was on the PK
Baker is a sophomore playing his first v start
Weber goal was also PK
Mettler and mckissick points were assists and not to many teams in 1a have
3-4 sets of d men to roll
Relax
I think you may be missing the reason it was brought up.

Urban Iceman laid into Luverne for winning 16-0 against redwood. Claiming Luverne doesnt respect the game of hockey. Urban Iceman also went on to say that he will no longer root for Luverne because they appear to be overdosing on their success.

3A hockey scout pointed out that West did the same thing last night.

This swayed Urban icemans opinions.

All appears well.

Everyone is indeed relaxed.

For now :lol:


:oops:

Ready2GoYet
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Post by Ready2GoYet » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 am

Games for Thursday, 1/23:

Waseca at Fairmont (Postponed)
Rosemount over Rochester Lourdes 4 - 1
Rochester Century over Winona 1 - 0
West Salem ties with La Crescent 2 - 2
Mankato West at Austin (Postponed)
Rochester John Marshall ties with Faribault 1 - 1
Albert Lea over Owatonna 3 - 2
Mankato East at Rochester Mayo (Postponed)

Games for Friday, 1/24:

Northfield at Shakopee
Red Wing at Farmington
Chanhassen at New Prague
LSH/STP/TCU at Dodge County

Ready2GoYet
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Post by Ready2GoYet » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm

In getting back to some discussion on where folks see the teams being seeded, following are the QRF rankings for Class A, 1A teams, today:

4 New Prague (13-2-2) 82.0
8 Mankato West (15-2) 74.7
34 Albert Lea (7-7-1) 48.5
35 St. Peter/L-H/TCU (9-6-1) 48.2
T-52 Northfield (6-11-1) 37.9
54 La Crescent (11-4-3) 36.6
57 Faribault (6-6-2) 35.8
63 Rochester Lourdes (5-13) 33.5
64 Red Wing (3-15) 31.5
72 Mankato East/Loyola (6-12) 24.8
73 Waseca (4-11-1) 23.0
T-76 Austin (2-12-1) 21.7
86 Winona (0-14-1) 12.6

While I don't pretend to know the science behind these rankings, I know that this differs quite a bit from the other rankings available out there, and does not fall in line with how I, or apparently anyone else, would rank the teams (QRF might look more at record and less at strength of schedule?). I just thought it was an interesting ordering.

What I do take away from it is more reinforcement that West and New Prague are the top two unquestionably, and that the group of the last 5 teams will more than likely stay in that group (although next to Red Wing, I don't see Lourdes in that bottom 5, as they are third in 3 of the other rankings I've seen). What appears to be up for grabs is the middle pack of 6, where you can make cases for a lot of teams moving up within that group. Depending on how these teams finish the next 3+ weeks, it may become much more clear, or it could get even muddier. Albert Lea looks to be moving up (a good win last night over Owatonna, Le Sueur moving up/Faribault sliding with their loss at Le Sueur the other night, etc.). Not having seen La Crescent myself, from their record it looks like they could possibly be a surprise for someone in the playoffs as I think someone else noted earlier.

As far as I know, it is still down to the 13 section coaches to submit their seedings of the teams at the end, so what they look at when they put their lists together will ultimately determine where the teams wind up.

east hockey
Site Admin
Posts: 7053
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:33 pm
Location: Proctor, MN

Post by east hockey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:23 pm

I haven't studied QRF in any detail, but I think your assertion that W/L pct. factors more into the rating than strength of schedule is correct, using Lourdes as an example. QRF has then 8th in 1A, PageStat has them 3rd. Just one example.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

blueblood
Posts: 2588
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am

1A games

Post by blueblood » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:34 am

Chanhassen - 2
New Prague - 2

Roy01
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Post by Roy01 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:40 am

Results for 1/24 -

Northfield over Shakopee: 4-2
Farmington over Red Wing: 7-1
Chanhassen vs. New Prague: TIE 2-2
LSP vs. Dodge County: TIE 2-2

Also, to touch on the seeding discussion:

It really won't be defined for a while. As of right now New Prague is the definite #1 seed and West as #2. As for #3, it's Lourdes to steal. They still have games remaining with West (Jan 28th), Albert Lea (Feb 6th), and New Prague (Feb 8th). Considering Lourdes first game with New Prague was a 4-3 loss, nothing is definite. If the eagles manage a win against West or New Prague it'll shake everything up quite a bit. As I see it now though, it'd sit something like this:

1. New Prague
2. West
3. Albert Lea
4. Northfield

and so on...

Ready2GoYet
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Post by Ready2GoYet » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Games for Saturday, 1/25:

Owatonna at Mankato West
Worthington at Waseca
Mankato East at Winona
Hermantown at New Prague
Austin at Rochester Century
Faribault at Albert Lea

urban iceman
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 am

Post by urban iceman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Hermantown- 7
New Prague -3
Tale of two halves, New Prague gave up a couple of real softies to start and then penalties. They settled down and played a decent second half. The Hawks look like they are hitting their stride!

Ready2GoYet
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Post by Ready2GoYet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Results from Saturday, 1/25:

Mankato West over Owatonna 4 - 1
Waseca over Worthington 11 - 2
Winona over Mankato East 4 - 2
Hermantown over New Prague 7 - 3
Rochester Century over Austin 4 - 2
Albert Lea over Faribault 5 - 2


Schedule for Tuesday, 1/28:
Rochester Lourdes at Mankato West
Winona at La Crescent
Waseca at New Ulm
New Prague at Farmington
Rochester Century at Albert Lea
Austin at Dodge County
LSH/SP/TCU at Mankato East
Chaska at Northfield
Faribault at Rochester John Marshall
Red Wing at Holy Angels

The Talon
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:30 pm

Post by The Talon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Roy01 wrote:Results for 1/24 -

Northfield over Shakopee: 4-2
Farmington over Red Wing: 7-1
Chanhassen vs. New Prague: TIE 2-2
LSP vs. Dodge County: TIE 2-2

Also, to touch on the seeding discussion:

It really won't be defined for a while. As of right now New Prague is the definite #1 seed and West as #2. As for #3, it's Lourdes to steal. They still have games remaining with West (Jan 28th), Albert Lea (Feb 6th), and New Prague (Feb 8th). Considering Lourdes first game with New Prague was a 4-3 loss, nothing is definite. If the eagles manage a win against West or New Prague it'll shake everything up quite a bit. As I see it now though, it'd sit something like this:

1. New Prague
2. West
3. Albert Lea
4. Northfield

and so on...
Lourdes beat Northfield earlier this year so should be ahead of them. We'll see what happens tonight v West, next week vs Albert Lea, but my top 4:
1. NP
2. West/LHS depending on tonight
3. West/LHS depending on tonight
4. AL
5. Northfield

Post Reply