Section 1 A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Chalk_Talk

Section 1 A

Post by Chalk_Talk »

This used to be one of the best threads on the forum! So I thought I would get it started.

Right now there are 3 teams ranked in the top 20 in class A. It has been awhile since that has happened. (If ever?) It may have happened towards the end of last year.

Mankato West- Lost in the section championship last year to Lourdes. This west team could possible be the best team in school history, only time and hard work will tell. If not the best team it should be the deepest team skill wise. West season is pretty soft to start with, then they are off to Duluth for the Hilltopper tour. They could face, East Grand Forks, Duluth Marshall and other skilled teams.

Lourdes-Coming off another section championship. They lost their two big guns. With all the scoring they lost, they need to have many players step up. Like always they play a difficult regular season schedule. Tonight they play New Prague which could be a big game when it comes to seeding time.

New Prague- Coming off a section semifinal lose to west. Always seems to be a team in contention but can't get over the hump. Is this their year? They need their D cor to step up and get solid goal tending. Both have been off to a decent start. Scoring a last second goal to go into OT vs Cloquet and an eventual tie, and losing to St Cloud Cath 5-4 at home tue night, but out shot them 38-30. Np plays a very solid schedule, many tough conference games and play in the south st paul holiday tour, and draw Eagan first game. Can they win the last year of the Missota Conference and finally make it over the hump to the big dance? Tonight they make the trip to Roch for a big section match up.

The above 3 are my favorites to win the section.

Northfield-I don't think people should sleep them during the regular season. If you don't come ready to play they will beat you. I just don't think they have enough scoring depth to hang with the above 3 teams.

Albert Lea-Seem to be a shadow of what this team has been the last 10 years or so. Again, if you don't show up to play, Roy's boys will beat you!

Good Luck to all teams! It is a short season, so take nothing for granted and enjoy every second.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

3 good teams,
Not sure about Lourdes, mainly because I can't pronounce it.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote:3 good teams,
"Loord" as I understand it.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Teak

Post by Teak »

east hockey wrote:

Lee
Or, more like, Loooooooooords. :lol:

They have two freshmen leading them in scoring after 3 games. Looks like last season's scorers are getting replaced after all.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Teak wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Or, more like, Loooooooooords. :lol:

They have two freshmen leading them in scoring after 3 games. Looks like last season's scorers are getting replaced after all.
9 goals in 3 games, 7 against Northfield...
Does not sound like much scoring and thus my doubts about
Looerdes.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Hello all,

I will try to keep this thread up to date again this season, at least with team scores. The past week has been difficult to manage due to class coupled with the Hub not updating the correct scores/stats for games. I'll try to keep it all up to date.

That said, I feel the top four teams are the following (in order):

Mankato West: West returns its scoring and depth with a young group last year. Also, considering the beating they took in the section final last year, I feel the group has an idea of where they need to play this year to get to St. Paul. As long as they play how they are capable, they should come out on top.

Lourdes: The Eagles lost a lot of their scoring punch from last season, along with some seasoned veteran players. That being said, I am not sure they have the offense this year to get to the X. Thus far, they have not scored much, but they have also played some tough competition early into this season. If they can develop their offense throughout the year, they may be back to the formidable favorite they have been in years past. Also, they return Jack Burkel in net. If he can play on his game, he may be able to steal a win or two come sections.

New Prague: The Trojans always are in the thick of things year in and out. With solid goaltending they could make trouble for West or Lourdes. Their defense will need to come along throughout the season.

Northfield: Not a lot of depth outside their top line, but they managed to get to the section finals in the same situation two years back. I feel they are a team that could be dangerous when on their game. Otherwise, a competitive group of players.

The remainder of the teams are always a shot in the dark for seeding/results. Red Wing has fallen off in recent years, as has Albert Lea. With some games later in the year between common opponents, we'll have a better feel for their placement.
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Al 1
owatonna 0

start 3rd
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

if accurate hub has
new prague 4
lourdes 3

al 1
owat 1
going to ot
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

owat 2
al 1

final in ot
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

North St. Paul over Red Wing: 6-3
From the Hub
OU812

Post by OU812 »

West 7
Austin 1

Shots 52-10 West
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

New Prague-4
Lourdes -3

NP finally gets the monkey off their back with a pp goal late.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Results for 12/5 -

Owatonna over Albert Lea: 2-1 OT
Mankato West over Austin: 7-1
La Crescent over Aquinas: 5-3
New Prague over Lourdes: 4-3
Bloomington Kennedy over Northfield: 4-1
North St. Paul over Red Wing: 6-3
Waseca over Fairmont: 5-2

If I missed any games and/or if scores are wrong please update. I tried to check with newspapers and the Hub.
The Hub hasn't been very reliable the past couple weeks...so if anyone sees anything, please post the change.

Thanks!
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Games for 12/6 -

Winona vs. Mankato East
LSP vs. New Ulm
Faribault vs. North Shore
notenoughhockey

Post by notenoughhockey »

urban iceman wrote:New Prague-4
Lourdes -3

NP finally gets the monkey off their back with a pp goal late.
I think it is going to be a long season for Lourdes. I do not see them taking the section this year.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Lourdes

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

I am far from a Lourdes fan, but just remember that there were at least three players who have been playing football up to a week ago. They did lose a lot of quality players. But it is still early. Lot of young players playing key roles. Currently they make mistakes or just bad decisions while in January we will see how they are playing. Give it to January and we'll see how they look. Saying that I think west and new Prague are the teams to beat in section 1.
notenoughhockey

Lourdes

Post by notenoughhockey »

Have been watching Lourdes for the last 6 years and this is by far the weakest team they have had. I would agree with West and NP being the teams to beat.
notTONIGHT

Re: Lourdes

Post by notTONIGHT »

notenoughhockey wrote:Have been watching Lourdes for the last 6 years and this is by far the weakest team they have had. I would agree with West and NP being the teams to beat.
And it took a late third period goal for NP to sneak by Lourdes?
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

quick to mention the late goal by NP. It was on a power play. I was not there to say if the refs were calling it close but look at the number of penalties for lourdes. Is that indictive of their youth. Could be.

How about the goal by lourdes with one second on the clock at the end of the second period. No mention of luck there or sneaking by. Just a thought.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Results for 12/6 -

LSP over New Ulm: 5-3
Mankato East over Winona: 6-4
Faribault over North Shore: 3-1
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

The goalie for Lourdes did an exceptional job as the Trojans had numerous chances, except for a second period surge by the Eagles, NP pretty much controlled the game. I also think that with a few more games under their belt Lourdes will be right in the thick of it with New Prague and Mankato West. I also think that MW's light schedule will hinder them a bit going forward as it showed in the section playoffs last year. They were outplayed by NP for most of the game if not for a couple 5 on 3 penalties that doomed the Trojans in the semi game. Lot of season left tho.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Is Griff Slightam injured for Lourdes? If so, when will he be back?
Last edited by OU812 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

Slightam is out for the season shoulder
Injury from football
Will impact the D core for sure
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Thx. Bummer - Slightam is a great player and great kid
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Games for 12/7 -

Winona vs. Mankato West