Section 1 A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OU812

Post by OU812 »

1-1 after two periods. Shots 13-11 NP
OU812

Post by OU812 »

NP wins 2-1 on a vocal with 0:29 left.
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

what is a vocal?
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

I don't know what that is either but it was a shot from the point, I'm guessing the goalie was screened. Great game with two different styles of hockey going at it!
OU812

Post by OU812 »

My bad. Goal, not "vocal", by NP with 0:29 left. Either way, NP deserved the win.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

section 1A

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

The section could be a three team race. From the sound of the reports posted it sounds like New Praque and Lourdes are similar teams. Both teams play a team defense style limiting chances for an opponent. Both goalies are quality and neither team will score four or five goals often. The Mankato West team is more high octane offense and a quality goalie. I see those three making the semifinals in no particular order. I know not exactly going out on a limb there. With the scores from head to head games I am starting to think the section could go to any of the three. All the games that have been head to head have been one goal games. No one is taking the lead and taking control. My pick is New Praque in the section. Will see if I come out correct. the semifinals at the Rec Center this year should be very interesting.

Has anyone heard if Mankato West vs Lourdes has been rescheduled or are they going to not play this important section game.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

New Praque , Mankato West, Lourdes

Would someone who has seen all three of these teams post what they think the styles and weaknesses of the three teams.
bestpopcorn

Re: New Praque , Mankato West, Lourdes

Post by bestpopcorn »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Would someone who has seen all three of these teams post what they think the styles and weaknesses of the three teams.
I think NP may be stronger than West. I think West may be stronger than Lourdes. I think Lourdes may be stronger than NP.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

West v Lourdes rescheduled for Jan 28 at 5:30pm at All Seasons Arena in Mankato
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Games for 1/9 -

Mankato East vs. Rochester JM
Lourdes vs. New Ulm
Red Wing vs. Shakopee
LSP vs. Waseca
Austin vs. Owatonna
Mankato West vs. Rochester Mayo
Northfield vs. Holy Angels
Winona vs. Faribault
La Crescent vs. La Crosse (WI)
grandmeadowhockeyfan

MW vs Mayo

MW was the faster team with better passing and pressure in the first period. MW ended the period behind 1-0. Mayo scored a shot from the blue line on a rush up the ice. MW cycled well and can skate well but tries for pretty goals instead of just throwing the puck on net.

In the second the game was much more even and both teams had chances. Mayo defense did a great job of clogging up MW in front of their net. MW scored their goal in the period by shooting wide of the net from the point with a MW player getting to the puck quicker than the Mayo player and threw if in front of the net for the goal.

In the third teams took turns on the power play with neither team looking spectacular on the pp. late in the game the MW team took a 500 penalty with 300 to go. Mayo got some decent chances with shots from the point but with about 100 left a MW player blocked a shot and MW broke the puck out and his dump was blocked by a MW player and the ME player beat the Mayo player to the puck. From there two MW players broke in on a two on one. One MW player made a great pass that left the second MW player with a clear shot where he took the puck across the goal line and the goalie commited and the MW player threw a shot past the goalie after skating around him. MW wins 2-1

[/img]
OU812

West v Mayo

Post by OU812 »

Great game, even though neither team played its best. Shots were 35-17 West, and both goalies played very well.

Scoring a shorty with 0:29 left in the third prevented West from possibly having an 0-2 week (after an 11-1 start) - so Scarlet fans should at least be thankful for that.

Lourdes won in OT v New Ulm also at Graham tonight.
Ready2GoYet

Post by Ready2GoYet »

Games for 1/13 & 1/14

1/13
Eau Claire Memorial at Lourdes

1/14
Rochester Century at Albert Lea
New Prague at Red Wing
Mankato East at Fairmont
Owatonna at Faribault
New Ulm at LSH/SP/TCU
Chanhassen at Northfield
Austin at Rochester JM
West Salem at La Crescent
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

New Prague- 10
Red Wing - 1
Feel bad for the wingers, great tradition down there!
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Results for 1/14 -

New Prague over Red Wing: 10-1
Mankato East over Fairmont: 9-3
Owatonna over Faribault: 7-1
New Ulm over LSH/SP/TCU: 6-0
Chanhassen over Northfield: 4-1

Also, due to weather, we had some cancellations -

Austin vs. Rochester JM: POSTPONED
La Crescent vs. West Salem(WI): POSTPONED
Albert Lea vs. Rochester Century: POSTPONED

I'd like to ask, was anyone able to see the Red Wing - New Prague game? I'd like to get some input if at all possible. Granted the game was against a very weak Red Wing team, but it is nice to see New Prague 1. beat an opponent it should beat convincingly, and 2. put some pucks in the net.

I know they (New Prague) have a more "gritty" style of play, and my only hang-up with them by comparison to Mankato West was the offensive firepower (strength-of-schedule and all else aside). But if the Trojans can continue to have strong offensive outings I see them becoming a much more dangerous team.
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

urban iceman wrote:New Prague- 10
Red Wing - 1
Feel bad for the wingers, great tradition down there!
That program has dropped in the last 15 years or so.

Not trying to take a shot at New prague but Red Wing used to beat them !0-1. Wow how the tables have turned.
Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 »

I know we are about a month out, but is it to early to start speculationg on seeds 1-13... again, the first 2 may be set in stone... then there seems to be a top half and bottom half in the section like in years past, but the two halves seem to be closer than in years past...IMO

Here is how i see it as of today:
1: New Prague
2: Mankato West
3: Albert Lea
4: Rochester Lourdes
5: Faribault
6: Northfield
7: LaCrescent
8: Le Sueur Co-op
9: Red Wing
10: Mankato East
11: Austin
12: Winona
13: Waseca
Last edited by Jim9000 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Roy01 wrote:Results for 1/14 -

New Prague over Red Wing: 10-1
Mankato East over Fairmont: 9-3
Owatonna over Faribault: 7-1
New Ulm over LSH/SP/TCU: 6-0
Chanhassen over Northfield: 4-1

Also, due to weather, we had some cancellations -

Austin vs. Rochester JM: POSTPONED
La Crescent vs. West Salem(WI): POSTPONED
Albert Lea vs. Rochester Century: POSTPONED

I'd like to ask, was anyone able to see the Red Wing - New Prague game? I'd like to get some input if at all possible. Granted the game was against a very weak Red Wing team, but it is nice to see New Prague 1. beat an opponent it should beat convincingly, and 2. put some pucks in the net.

I know they (New Prague) have a more "gritty" style of play, and my only hang-up with them by comparison to Mankato West was the offensive firepower (strength-of-schedule and all else aside). But if the Trojans can continue to have strong offensive outings I see them becoming a much more dangerous team.

NP dominated from the drop of the puck. Good passing and forechecking kept the puck in the RW zone all game,( ex. shots 53-11). When the Wingers did get the puck out of the zone they would break a forward high up the middle, which was a good move, but NP's forwards would track it down before they would reach the defenders. RW's goalie did all he could but he was very busy and had a hard time holding on to his stick. Score could have been worse but the coach called off the dogs in the third. The RW players were pretty frustrated as they were playing decent hockey lately and this will set them back some. Hoping for the best for them!
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Games for 1/16 -

LSP vs. Farimont
Northfield vs. New Prague
Winona vs. Albert Lea
La Crescent vs. Black River Falls (WI)

If anything is postponed please note, thanks.
LivinDaDream

Post by LivinDaDream »

Looks like Albert Lea and Winona is postponed. 2nd game this week that has been postponed for both teams.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

New Prague-6
Northfield -3
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

Does Northfield usually have that short of a bench? I think they had 11 players?
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

GopherHockey wrote:Does Northfield usually have that short of a bench? I think they had 11 players?
Talked to Scofield sr. and they've been hit by the flu bug. Same for a couple of NP guy's.
Ready2GoYet

Post by Ready2GoYet »

Following is where I would rank the 1A teams for now:
1. New Prague
2. Mankato West
3. Lourdes
4. Albert Lea
5. Northfield
6. Faribault
7. Le Sueur/Henderson/St. Peter
8. Red Wing
9. La Crescent
10. Austin
11. Mankato East
12. Winona
13. Waseca

It's nice there are several games left between the top 4 that should help sort those out at the end. I'll be curious to see if anyone from 7-13 moves up into the 5th or 6th spot (don't see anyone 7-13 getting higher than a 5)--both Northfield and Fairbault seem to be slipping a bit (Northfield on a 6 game losing streak, but at least against quality opponents, and Faribault giving up a lot of goals to pretty much everyone they're playing lately).

Section 1A games for Tuesday 1/21:
Red Wing at Rochester Lourdes
Dodge County at Waseca
New Prague at Albert Lea
Faribault at LSH/SP/TCU
Mankato West at Mankato East
La Crescent at Viroqua
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

I'm not going to say that this isn't how it could end up... it very well could. But i cannot see any way that a team with only four wins should receive the No. 3 seed. There are still a few weeks left in the season and Lourdes could very well have close to 10 wins come seeding time. But until they win omre than four games, I cannot see them being the No. 3 seed "for now" as you say.

Here is how I see it

1-New Prague
2-West
3-Albert Lea
4-Northfield
5-Faribault
6-Lourdes
7-LeSueur etc. etc.
8-LaCrescent
9-Red Wing
10-Mkto East
11-Austin