Section 1 A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Mankato West beats the Lourdes 5-1, West clearly was the better team in this game. A rather dominating performance for them, Lourdes goalie kept them in the game until the third.

justlivin

Post by justlivin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Does this score cloud the section 1A settings? New Prague beat Lourdes 4-3 & Northfield 6-3. West beat Lourdes 5-1 & Northfield 8-2. Did West have an off night when playing New Prague? Could Saturday's game New Prague vs. Lourdes could be the seating factor now?

OU812

Post by OU812 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Agreed it was a good showing for West. Shots were 36-11, Scarlets. Lourdes goalie Burkel was outstanding I thought.

As for seedings, NP beat West and is still undefeated in section 1A play, so hard to see how they don't get the #1 seed, although New Prague plays Lourdes again so we'll get another chance to compare.

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:47 pm

Results for 1/28 -

Mankato West over Lourdes: 5-1
Winona vs. La Crescent: TIED 2-2
New Ulm over Waseca: 8-3
Farmington over New Prague: 4-3
Albert Lea over Rochester Century: 5-2
Austin over Dodge County: 1-0
LSP over Mankato East: 6-2
Northfield over Chaska: 4-1
Rochester JM over Faribault: 5-1
Holy Angels over Red Wing: 4-0

Glad to see every team in action tonight. Biggest game of the night was obviously the West - Lourdes game. This could have been a chance for Lourdes to prove a bit more, considering their strength of schedule. But a 5-1 loss won't help them in moving toward a top 4 seed. The primary things I take from this game are 1. Lourdes is more deserving of their current record, and 2. Burkel has the ability to steal a game for this team come playoffs. Keeping it close through two periods sometimes is enough to give your team a spark. I don't think Lourdes will go to the finals this year, but if they do it will be because he steals a game or two for them.

Another game worth noting would be New Prague - Farmington. It was a 4-4 tie the last time these two teams met and now the tigers handed New Prague a loss and possibly locked up the Missota Conference. The game won't hurt the Trojans seeding wise, but it shows this team can be beaten in a close-vest game.

nipeshow18

Post by nipeshow18 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:35 am

Roy01 wrote:Results for 1/28 -
Another game worth noting would be New Prague - Farmington. It was a 4-4 tie the last time these two teams met and now the tigers handed New Prague a loss and possibly locked up the Missota Conference. The game won't hurt the Trojans seeding wise, but it shows this team can be beaten in a close-vest game.
Also worth nothing that they were up 3-0 9 minutes into the game...

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 am

nipeshow18 wrote:
Two evenly matched teams. The Trojans jumped all over the Tigers to start the game but then the Tigers adjusted and came back to cut it to 3-2 after one. The Tigers tied it in the second and they played back and forth the rest of the way. Farmington went up 4-3 late in the 3rd and withstood a Trojan onslaught at the end to preserve the victory. Farmington has a real nice team with a record of 16-3. They should make some noise in 1AA UNTIL THEY RUN INTO THE LAKEVILLES! I wonder why they don't play them during the season??

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:11 pm

nipeshow18 wrote:
What the hell does that have to do with anything? That New Prague can't play with a lead?

The Shots after 2 periods were 19-10 Farmington and NP was absolutely worked in the second.

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 pm

As for seedings, I don't know how Lourdes could be seeded higher than 5th. And probably should be 6th as LSH/SP/TCU, with a weaker schedule gave West a better game than Lourdes did. I mean 11 shots on goal?

Lourdes goalie is very good. If he didn't drive to Rochester every day for school, would we be talking about Red Wing as a top 4 seed had he stayed home?

Lourdes has lost their top 5-6 players for various reasons this season. The goalie probably will steal some play-off games. But you can't seed them in the top 5 just because their goalie has kept them in the game all season. A team has to score more than 1.5 goals a game to be considered a playoff contender or a top seed.

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:51 pm

GopherPuck15 wrote:
nipeshow18 wrote:
What the hell does that have to do with anything? That New Prague can't play with a lead?

The Shots after 2 periods were 19-10 Farmington and NP was absolutely worked in the second.
Relax there mister, I think Roy was just pointing out that they didn't HOLD the lead after they went ahead 3-0.

nipeshow18

Post by nipeshow18 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:02 pm

GopherPuck15 wrote:
nipeshow18 wrote:

Yikes, struck a nerve. I do indeed think that is noteworthy, considering they never scored after that. At least it happened now and not in sections. Good learning moment. Sorry that me pointing that out offended you.

MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:13 pm

So...say New Prague gets upset by the Lourdes in their next matchup, is that reason for West to get the top seed? Any thoughts about that?

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:04 pm

MrGoalieBoy wrote:So...say New Prague gets upset by the Lourdes in their next matchup, is that reason for West to get the top seed? Any thoughts about that?
To me, if I were seeding, I would give the top seed to West in that scenario. Both teams would have one section loss, the game those two teams played could have gone either way. Also, a loss against a team that West clearly beat wouldn't look good. Granted, West lost the head-to-head with New Prague. Still, I would see a Trojan loss to Lourdes as grounds to lose the top seed.

Lourdes is given the opportunity to play spoiler for some of the higher seeds with games remaining against Albert Lea, and New Prague. I don't feel this a great Lourdes team, but I think they can lock down enough defensively to stick with Albert Lea and New Prague. They've proven they can play with New Prague already.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 pm

MrGoalieBoy wrote:So...say New Prague gets upset by the Lourdes in their next matchup, is that reason for West to get the top seed? Any thoughts about that?
No, I don't think that one game will have any bearing on New Prague's seeding but could on where Lourdes gets seeded. However if Lourdes were to beat New Prague and New Prague lose to either Northfield or Red Wing then I think West would move in front of the Trojans.

I think seedings wise there are only a couple of big games left these last 2+ weeks: Lourdes/Albert Lea and LaCrescent/LeSeuer. The winners of those two games are probably seeded 3 and 4.

MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Roy01 wrote:
To me, if I were seeding, I would give the top seed to West in that scenario. Both teams would have one section loss, the game those two teams played could have gone either way. Also, a loss against a team that West clearly beat wouldn't look good. Granted, West lost the head-to-head with New Prague. Still, I would see a Trojan loss to Lourdes as grounds to lose the top seed.

Lourdes is given the opportunity to play spoiler for some of the higher seeds with games remaining against Albert Lea, and New Prague. I don't feel this a great Lourdes team, but I think they can lock down enough defensively to stick with Albert Lea and New Prague. They've proven they can play with New Prague already.
I would have to agree with you, if the West vs New Prague game was a blowout, I would say that the Lourdes and new Prague second matchup wouldn't matter, but it was a tight game.

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:31 pm

If Lourdes beats New Prague, it would depend on the difference in scoring. I would still give it to NP based on head-to-head, but who knows how the coaches in the section will vote. I do know in some sports, historically, the Big 9 tends to "look out for their own" when it comes to seeding. That holds true for most conferences. With half the section being Big 9 schools, it wouldn't surprise me.

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Didn't mean to be snarky, just sounded that way. My apologies.

If Lourdes beats NP, West should get the 1. At this point, does who gets 1 or 2 really matter though? Yeah, the one can match lines, but looking on paper at MW and NP I don't see that as much of an advantage.

bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:22 pm

I say have the NP coach and others seed Mankato #4 when voting and screw them out of #1 seed.
That would be like what Mankato did to Lourdes in '08 seeding when Lourdes should have been the #1 seed. It resulted in Mankato having #1 seed and last line change in the section final game and they were able to get Levierman and Litchfield(sp?) on the ice for mismatches and cost Lourdes the game. Go NP,it's your year to rock to state!!!! I'll be watching.

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm

bstarr15 wrote:I say have the NP coach and others seed Mankato #4 when voting and screw them out of #1 seed.
That would be like what Mankato did to Lourdes in '08 seeding when Lourdes should have been the #1 seed. It resulted in Mankato having #1 seed and last line change in the section final game and they were able to get Levierman and Litchfield(sp?) on the ice for mismatches and cost Lourdes the game. Go NP,it's your year to rock to state!!!! I'll be watching.
Similar thing happened in the 09'-10' season with Faribault getting the #1 seed. I believe it was Coach Ryan voting Lourdes down that time. Just the Falcons obviously lost in the semi-finals so it didn't mean too much in the long run. The voting in this section is suspect on occasion, but i do agree that it really doesn't mean too much which one gets the #1 or #2 seed at this point.

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:56 pm

Games for 1/30 -

Waseca vs. Windom Area
Lourdes vs. Mound-Westonka
Northfield vs. Red Wing
La Crescent vs. Sparta (WI)
Albert Lea vs. Rochester JM
Mankato East vs. Austin
Mankato West vs. Faribault
Winona vs. Rochester Mayo

Ready2GoYet

Post by Ready2GoYet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes, there has certainly been some interesting seeding games played in this section in the past....
I agree with a couple others that, unless they are worried about a semi-final matchup, it really doesn't make a lot of difference whether NP is 1 or 2, as I see MW as having too much offense to where the last change will make a huge difference. Although they have the head-to-head, at this point I would put MW in the 1 spot, with NP 2nd (obviously just one fan's opinion, which counts for nothing come time for the real seeding). I would put the teams as follows the way they stand today:
1. Mankato West
2. New Prague
3. Albert Lea
4. Northfield
5. Lourdes
6. LSH/STP/TCU
7. Faribault
8. La Crescent
9. Austin
10. Red Wing
11. Winona
12. Mankato East
13. Waseca

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:49 pm

bstarr15 wrote:I say have the NP coach and others seed Mankato #4 when voting and screw them out of #1 seed.
Lourdes was the 1 seed, West the 2, and Albert Lea the 3, exactly how it should've been.

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:48 am

Results for 1/30 -

Lourdes over Mound-Westonka: 3-0
Northfield over Red Wing: 3-0
La Crescent over Sparta (WI): 6-0
Albert Lea over Rochester JM: 4-2
Mankato East over Austin: 4-3
Mankato West over Faribault: 8-2
Rochester Mayo over Winona: 5-1

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 pm

Some interesting results today;
LaCrescent beat LeSeuer.... LaCrescent doesn't play a whole lot of Minnesota teams and will be tough to seed. Maybe sneaking up a bit.

Albert Lea beat Mayo 5-2 these are two team going in opposite directions but I still expected it to be closer. Albert lea is playing really well right now....can they keep it going for another 3 weeks? They're looking like a #3 seed as long as the wheels don't fall off and they lose by a bunch to Lourdes Thursday. The Tigers have West on the 11th.

West beat JM 3-0 not an overpowering result and the shots were pretty close considering the Big Nine standings. Albert Lea just beat JM 4-2 Thursday with similar shot totals.

Northfield loses in OT to Missota leader Farmington.

Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:40 pm

I guess this is my 2 cents on how the seeds may shake out as of today, probably will change, I think it is close though. Some major surprises. What does everyone else think?

1. New Prague
2. Mankato West
3. Albert Lea
4. Northfield
5. Lourdes
6. La Crescent
7. LSH/STP/TCU
8. Faribault
9. Red Wing
10. Winona
11. Austin
12. Mankato East
13. Waseca

justlivin

Post by justlivin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Jim9000 wrote:I guess this is my 2 cents on how the seeds may shake out as of today, probably will change, I think it is close though. Some major surprises. What does everyone else think?

1. New Prague
2. Mankato West
3. Albert Lea
4. Northfield
5. Lourdes
6. La Crescent
7. LSH/STP/TCU
8. Faribault
9. Red Wing
10. Winona
11. Austin
12. Mankato East
13. Waseca

Not that it matters much but how can you put Austin who lost both meetings with East ahead of them. East also split with Winona. Overall records have East with 7 wins, Austin 3 wins, & Winona with 2 wins