Hill-Murray vs. Benilde St. Margaret's (12-7-2013)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

UntouchableFlow

Hill-Murray vs. Benilde St. Margaret's (12-7-2013)

Post by UntouchableFlow »

Anybody have a score and a recap for this game?

Thanks.
hockey9011

Re: Hill-Murray vs. Benilde St. Margaret's (12-7-2013)

Post by hockey9011 »

UntouchableFlow wrote:Anybody have a score and a recap for this game?

Thanks.
I heard Hill Murray won 7-3
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

December 7, 2013 @ Aldrich 7:30

Benilde-St. M. 0 1 2 - 3
Hill-Murray 1 2 4 - 7

First Period
HM, Dustin Krueger (Mitch Slattery, Josh French), 6:45.

Second Period
BSM, Carter Roo (Nick Austin), 7:01.
HM, Jacob Olson (Mitch Slattery, Josh French), 7:50.
HM, Zach Mills (Casey Staum, Jacob Olson), 16:18.

Third Period
HM, Josh French (Mitch Slattery, Davis Zarembinski), 1:22 (pp).
HM, Mitch Slattery (Davis Zarembinski), 5:04.
HM, Zach Mills (Joey Anderson), 5:37.
BSM, Spencer Naas (Johnny Austin, Ben Newhouse), 7:02 (pp).
BSM, Carter Roo (Nick Austin, Ben Newhouse), 14:59 (pp).
HM, Matt Yanchek (Jacob Olson), 16:48 (pp).

Shots by period
Hill-Murray 12 9 12 - 33
Benilde-St. M. 14 8 15 - 37

Goalies
HM - Sam Illgen
BSM - Jalen Long

Power Play Goals Attempts Time
Hill-Murray 2 4 2:57
Benilde-St. M. 2 5 6:54

Senior Goalie Sam Illgen a really nice surprise in goal so far for HM. Backed up Dugas last year and didn't play much.
HornetsFan

Post by HornetsFan »

I was at the game, BSM totally outplayed Hill in the first period but Hill walked away in the lead. The second period started out well for the Red Knights but their goaltender let in a bunch of weak goals, and the team totally fell apart. Hill got lucky, they didn't look sharp at all and were able to get the win. Biggest takeaway of the night was BSM's shotty goaltending.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

I wasn't there, but I just have a hard time believing HM got totally outplayed and was lucky to win, when they won 7-3. just my two cents...
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

HornetsFan wrote:I was at the game, BSM totally outplayed Hill in the first period but Hill walked away in the lead. The second period started out well for the Red Knights but their goaltender let in a bunch of weak goals, and the team totally fell apart. Hill got lucky, they didn't look sharp at all and were able to get the win. Biggest takeaway of the night was BSM's shotty goaltending.
I can see how 7-3 would be lucky...

Kind of like getting beat by Eagan...
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

If you put up 7 goals on a good hockey team, usually not much of it is due to luck. Getting shutout on the other hand can go to a hot goalie and bad puck luck.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

It's a bit of a stretch to say BSM totally outplayed Hill in the first period. Benilde had a 14-12 shot edge and the play was pretty much back and forth. Mitch Slattery was the best player on the ice all night long, ending up with a goal and three assists. Hill had a 6-1 lead midway through the third period before their third line took three straight penalties, allowing Benilde to get two PP goals. Illgen played well in goal for HM and was defiinitely the better of the two goalies. Hill's top two lines are very good and their third line has some potential, although none of the third liners have played varsity before thie year. As always, Hill will be a threat in March and I think BSM will be as well if they can improve their goaltending a bit.
zrman

Post by zrman »

HornetsFan wrote:I was at the game, BSM totally outplayed Hill in the first period but Hill walked away in the lead. The second period started out well for the Red Knights but their goaltender let in a bunch of weak goals, and the team totally fell apart. Hill got lucky, they didn't look sharp at all and were able to get the win. Biggest takeaway of the night was BSM's shotty goaltending.
Yes, being "at the game" is the first prerequisite to objectivity and clarity... :roll:
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

HornetsFan wrote: I was at the game...Hill got lucky, they didn't look sharp at all and were able to get the win.
The game looked a bit different from my angle on the other side of Aldrich. I thought HM looked plenty sharp. Better defense and goaltending do not constitute being "lucky".
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Benilde may well have had a slight edge in play, but neither team played well. I can hardly recall a decent break out all night. There was plenty of sloppy play from both sides. Ilgen and Slattery were easily the best players of the game. I'm just glad i didn't have to drive across town to SLP to see that mess.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Benilde carried the play for the 1st two periods until goalie let in really soft goal and it went downhill from there.
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

I don't know why so many people have been so high on BSM. They have a few studs, such as Naas and Austin, but I don't think they have much depth. After their first 2, maybe 3 D of Austin, Austin and Newhouse they don't have much. The big games they win are going to be shootouts, especially if their goaltending stays shaky.
Last edited by hshockeyfan8 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

I only saw the first but there is no way that BSM dominated that period. Pretty even period in my view.

Jungles plays wing so I assume the previous poster means Newhouse on D.
Last edited by C-dad on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SidneysDogHouse

Post by SidneysDogHouse »

Apparently you all need to open both eyes when watching a hockey game. Benilde didn't carry the play in the first for starters. In fact, their goalie bailed them out a number of times after very poor defensive play. Would agree that third goal was a weak one, but the second on HM was just as weak, if not weaker. Ilgen gave up numerous rebounds, very poor control, and struggled at times. The difference was HM played much better team defense and didn't allow any second chances, which will eventually catch up with them. BSM showed no fire, in fact neither team did until the end. HM had too many open, close in chances, no goalie will succeed in that environment!

Benilde has a lot to work out, and needs to shore up their goaltending, but on a good day, BSM wins this game.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Before we get too caught up in whether Illgen's goaltending will cost HM down the rod, keep in mind that Sean Wendlandt becomes eligible in January, at which time he will give them another very strong goaltender.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

SidneysDogHouse wrote:Apparently you all need to open both eyes when watching a hockey game. Benilde didn't carry the play in the first for starters. In fact, their goalie bailed them out a number of times after very poor defensive play. Would agree that third goal was a weak one, but the second on HM was just as weak, if not weaker. Ilgen gave up numerous rebounds, very poor control, and struggled at times. The difference was HM played much better team defense and didn't allow any second chances, which will eventually catch up with them. BSM showed no fire, in fact neither team did until the end. HM had too many open, close in chances, no goalie will succeed in that environment!

Benilde has a lot to work out, and needs to shore up their goaltending, but on a good day, BSM wins this game.
There was a fairly long stretch of the 1st where Benilde did carry play. I kept wondering "When is this power play going to be over?" That was when Hill took it down the ice and scored.

It's great to dominate play but you have to put the biscuit in the basket at some point.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

7-3 lucky ??? #-o Keep drinking the west metro koolaid .
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

SidneysDogHouse wrote:Apparently you all need to open both eyes when watching a hockey game. Benilde didn't carry the play in the first for starters. In fact, their goalie bailed them out a number of times after very poor defensive play. Would agree that third goal was a weak one, but the second on HM was just as weak, if not weaker. Ilgen gave up numerous rebounds, very poor control, and struggled at times. The difference was HM played much better team defense and didn't allow any second chances, which will eventually catch up with them. BSM showed no fire, in fact neither team did until the end. HM had too many open, close in chances, no goalie will succeed in that environment!

I would go easy on BSMs 16 year old goaltender. He is just a kid and the HM game was his first big game. Having had a goalie that played three years in the program, it is probably the most difficult position in the state.

BSM plays a style (I have called it the West Coast Offense) that provides little defensive end support for goaltenders. The style generally works for them and also allows them to 'showcase' their players for scouts, etc. (which also, by the way, helps them to keep building their program with excellent offensive talent by providing that exposure). When the superstars do not perform, the finger gets pointed back at the crease. Couple that with folks way too close to the program on this forum (which the kids do read) throwing the 'non-showcase' players under the bus when the team loses...and the position is not a fun one.

In big games - BSM's 'showcase' players have to put up 5+ goals or the blame really should be pointed right towards those players, rather than the goalie. The whole game plan is built for those guys to score goals. When they score less than 5, BSM will probably go down in big games. While their goalie may let in a "light one", he probably will have to stop 2 or 3 breakaways and see a half dozen or more odd-mans before the night is over. Its a tough job for a 16 year old with a lot of eyeballs on them and folks waiting to throw them under the bus when the team loses.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Shots on Goal of 33 vs 37 suggest a pretty even game from a possession perspective, especially with BSM holding an edge on PP time.

That said, good defense will certainly improve a goalies stats. Pushing the competition to take shots with easier angles to defend / weaker angles to score is part on an intangible aspect of a team that cannot be easily measured in some on-line statistic. You get that by watching the game in person.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

slacsap wrote:Before we get too caught up in whether Illgen's goaltending will cost HM down the rod, keep in mind that Sean Wendlandt becomes eligible in January, at which time he will give them another very strong goaltender.
Is this the kid from Canada? How did he end up at Hill?
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

inthetwine wrote:
slacsap wrote:Before we get too caught up in whether Illgen's goaltending will cost HM down the rod, keep in mind that Sean Wendlandt becomes eligible in January, at which time he will give them another very strong goaltender.
Is this the kid from Canada? How did he end up at Hill?
Wendlandt is from Hudson - about 13 miles from HM. A little closer than Canada.

Sam Illgen is 3-0, has a 2.00 GAA and a .929 save pct. vs. Burnsville, Lakeville South & BSM. Nothing wrong with those numbers. I've seen Illgen a few times including JV. He's not a big guy like Dugas. He flops and kicks more but he's keeping the pucks out of the net.

Not unusual for teams like STA & HM to be struggling a bit and trying to figure out goaltending early in the year after graduating the top 2 goalies in the state. I see that STA has used 3 goalies in 3 games. One will emerge as the top dog before long.