Biggest Surprises So Far

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jim9000

Biggest Surprises So Far

Post by Jim9000 »

Just curious on everyones take on what teams may be over-achieving so far (big or small school) and maybe some teams that are not living up to their potential.

Keep it classy.
hondo98

Post by hondo98 »

This may not be a surprise to the northern TC crowd but I was really impressed with how fast, big and balanced Blaine is. That is a solid team and even though its early, looks to have all the right pieces in place now.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Top-flight goalie would be nice...
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

I guess I am surprised a bit by what I am seeing out of Eagan early this year. I wasn't sure what to expect coming into the season, I felt like they would be decent but lacking the star power of the last few years I didn't know how they would look. Having only given up 1 goal in the last 4 games is not only showing me that Lindgren is moving into his prime in goal but the defense is solid with Wolff and Muck leading the way. Offensively it's a team effort approach, not leaning on just 1 or 2 star players to get it done as in the last few years. The Edina win was a huge confidence builder for the team. We will see what happens as the season wears on but I think this team definitely has another tourney run in them..STA beware. :lol:
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
Marty

Post by Marty »

:shock:

Coaching is needed at all levels, especially as you implement a specific strategy. Roles change at each position.

Skills should also progress at each level of the game unless you are now just playing for fun and physical activity.
HockeyGuy85'

Post by HockeyGuy85' »

I believe I know of one coach who didn't play hockey he actually played basketball, yet he won two state championships in hockey in 02' and i believe 05'?
ahastars03

Post by ahastars03 »

HockeyGuy85' wrote:I believe I know of one coach who didn't play hockey he actually played basketball, yet he won two state championships in hockey in 02' and i believe 05'?
Go Trebs!
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

ahastars03 wrote:
HockeyGuy85' wrote:I believe I know of one coach who didn't play hockey he actually played basketball, yet he won two state championships in hockey in 02' and i believe 05'?
Go Trebs!
A true coach...
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

My nominations for top surprises to date for the 2013-14 season:
1. Overall team performance that was a bit unexpected: Elk River
2. Weird yet surprising stat: Edina not scoring a 1st period goal in 6 games
3. Surprise coaching move: HM enforcing team rules more harsh than MSHSL standard and dismissing a top player
4. News stories: How bad the Hub has gotten in providing anything of value in the state of hockey
5. Team support: hearing nothing from Scorekeeper from the north country

Not surprising events:
1. Guys like Happy and Hondo solely plugging the team they live for (see string above)
2. Parent trying to plug a kid (see string above)
3. Complaining about coaches (see string above)
observer

Post by observer »

What's happened in Woodbury? The recently proud program seems to have fallen hard. Their seniors were in the PeeWee A state title game and I believe solid as bantams as well.
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:My nominations for top surprises to date for the 2013-14 season:
3. Surprise coaching move: HM enforcing team rules more harsh than MSHSL standard and dismissing a top player
4. News stories: How bad the Hub has gotten in providing anything of value in the state of hockey

Not surprising events:
1. Guys like Happy and Hondo solely plugging the team they live for (see string above)
Excellent Post!

The HM move doesn't surprise me. Didn't HM remove a bunch of players several years ago and still make a state tourney run?
blindref

Post by blindref »

[quote="observer"]What's happened in Woodbury? The recently proud program seems to have fallen hard. Their seniors were in the PeeWee A state title game and I believe solid as bantams as well.[/quot

Second high school will do that
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

OnFrozenPond wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:My nominations for top surprises to date for the 2013-14 season:

Not surprising events:
Excellent Post!

The HM move doesn't surprise me. Didn't HM remove a bunch of players several years ago and still make a state tourney run?

Yes. In 2009 Lechner had to dismiss 3 or 4 kids who violated team rules. I have respect for his no non sense policy. No one individual no matter how good they may be should be treated any differently than anyone else.
Simpleton

Post by Simpleton »

blindref wrote:
observer wrote:What's happened in Woodbury? The recently proud program seems to have fallen hard. Their seniors were in the PeeWee A state title game and I believe solid as bantams as well.[/quot

Second high school will do that
Yup...plus several top-end players opting for privates/juniors.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

The "hub" has fallen to pieces. What the heck happened over there?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

22-0 after 2 periods. Is this for real...? Can't be

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/5414271
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

SuperStar wrote:22-0 after 2 periods. Is this for real...? Can't be

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/5414271
Final corrected to "just" 15-0. An improvement over their 0-20 loss on Friday to Detroit Lakes. :roll:
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Hopkins 2 - WBL 1.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Although Hopkins surprised me, I'm more surprised with Stillwater 7 - Forest Lake 1. There has been a lot of chatter on this forum about how good Forest Lake is this year and I was starting to believe it after a tie against WBL. But, I guess both WBL and Forest Lake are just typical up and down middle of the road teams.
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

Not surprising events:
Nope. Still following along quietly though. (I'm sure many prefer it that way) :lol:

I do check in periodically, rooting for the Wildcats from afar and following the seasons of many of the Minnesota players who have become near and dear to our hearts.

Pleasant suprises from the State of Hockey from my perspective this season;

1.) Glad to see the Maple Grove kid fully accepted back after playing games in the WHL. That's a solid precedent that needed to be set.

2.) Glad to see someone is suing the MSHSL ... for anything. Too many unenforceable rules.

3.) Very exciting to hear outdoor games planned for TCF Bank Stadium. Would love to attend one of those.

4.) Great to see the Minnesota Magicians enjoying a succesful first season and really pleased to see such a big Eagan influence on the team.

5.) Great to see Minnesota players having fantastic success outstate as well. A few guys enjoying success on NTDP U18, others performing well in the USHL, of course a few up here in our league and even the great success of the boys who ventured out to Omaha U16. So many doors opened for those players playing on the #2 ranked team in the country on big stages like the Bauer World Invite. A great player (and a great kid) like David Brumm, already with a campus visit to Maine and I understand, listed by the Vancouver Giants now and is expected to visit Vancouver for 48 hours in February ... and best of all ... with nobody getting their panties all bunched up ... imagine that. Actually having support from his hockey coach as he explores his hockey options.

6.) And of course, really nice to see the Wildcats beat Edina, so yah, everything seems right in the world.

Wishing the Minnesota Hockey Community a Happy Holiday Season from the Scorekeeper family! Merry X-Mas!
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

The holiday season is about complete with the Scorekeeper chiming in and I even agree with several of his points! However the Magicians are sitting in last place in the division with a team that is not overly young or inexperienced (similar in make up to the MN Wilderness that is running away with it) and Eagan generally gets one big win a year (Bville early last year). Eagan also has as many SSC losses already as the last 2 years combined though Merry Christmas, eh?
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

And Edina snaps the drought of not scoring in the first period in there 7th game of the year last night. Also hearing buzz that a former HM player may be playing in the SSP holiday tournament. Lastly it's nice that games like FLAKE losing by 6 to Stillwater keeps us surprised throughout the year.
MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
OnFrozenPond wrote:

Not surprising events:
Excellent Post!

Yes. In 2009 Lechner had to dismiss 3 or 4 kids who violated team rules. I have respect for his no non sense policy. No one individual no matter how good they may be should be treated any differently than anyone else.
Completely agree. Not to list names, but one of those players went on to play in the USHL and now plays D1 hockey in the Atlantic conference. But Lechner dismissed those players from the team for some "extra-curricular" activities and still went to state. In fact, they lost in OT to the eventual 2009 champs Eden Prairie in the quarterfinals of the tourney. I know his coaching gets praise but he also receives a great deal of criticism about how anyone could coach the team he does and have success. I think the guy is a great coach and has proved he is just that, regardless of players.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:The holiday season is about complete with the Scorekeeper chiming in and I even agree with several of his points! However the Magicians are sitting in last place in the division with a team that is not overly young or inexperienced (similar in make up to the MN Wilderness that is running away with it) and Eagan generally gets one big win a year (Bville early last year). Eagan also has as many SSC losses already as the last 2 years combined though Merry Christmas, eh?
1) Funny you should mention how those two NAHL teams are doing...if you hurry to the wildernesshockey.com home page, you can see a nice picture of former Eagan Wildcat d-man Will Peterson, who scored the only Wilderness goal in a 3-1 loss to the Magicians. Former Wildcat (current magician) Nick Kuchera had 2g1a in that game. :)

2) If Eagan "generally gets one big win a year" how did you pick between last year's early season win against Burnsville and last year's late season win against Burnsville? :roll:

3) It's true about the SSC loses. That said, last year Eastview had a 9-7-1 conference record. Wonder who thought they had a more successful season? :roll: :roll:
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Almost to address your question my reasons for calling Eagan's first win against Bville big was because:

1. It was EARLY in the season and helped set the stage for the rest of the year
2. It was an EARLY SSC game and the Cats were projected to finish in the middle of the conference well behind Bville
3. It was on the road at Bville where Eagan hadn't won a boys high school game since probably a JV team in 2008 :lol: :lol: :lol:
4. Eagan was expected to win the 2nd time around

The Cats signature win this year has been followed by a couple of losses and a 1-0 victory against Kennedy who is middle of the section single A team! All games and wins are big especially in the end which addresses your 3rd point.

Do you know if Eagan is broadcasting the game tomorrow afternoon against Cretin and at what site? Would be nice to catch a little hockey on a slow work day.