Elk River (5-3) vs Forest Lake (5-2-3) 12-28-13 7:30pm

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:12 am

Elks
76%
Rangers
24%

Total votes: 25

HShockeywatcher

Elk River (5-3) vs Forest Lake (5-2-3) 12-28-13 7:30pm

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Both teams not playing in a holiday tournament, they play on Friday in a game with huge section implications. Both teams have one section loss to the same team and likely control their own destiny for the #2 seed in the section should either win out in their section games. With quality wins over both Edina, East and Maple Grove, the Elks are definitely the favorite in this match up, but the Rangers of Forest Lake have a few more games under their belt and are coming off a win where they scored 7 goals over Cloquet.

Should be a good game; good luck to both teams.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Elks 5-2.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

I'll take Forest Lake 4-2 EN.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
Traxler

Re: Elk River (5-3) vs Forest Lake (5-2-3) 12-28-13 7:30pm

Post by Traxler »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Both teams not playing in a holiday tournament, they play on Friday in a game with huge section implications. Both teams have one section loss to the same team and likely control their own destiny for the #2 seed in the section should either win out in their section games. With quality wins over both Edina, East and Maple Grove, the Elks are definitely the favorite in this match up, but the Rangers of Forest Lake have a few more games under their belt and are coming off a win where they scored 7 goals over Cloquet.

I never thought I'd read that Forest Lake could take the #2 seed in their section.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

ER should win this easily 4-0.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Can someone explain any scenario that would have FL as a 2 seed in 7AA???
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

alcloseshaver wrote:Can someone explain any scenario that would have FL as a 2 seed in 7AA???
I certainly cannot.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

alcloseshaver wrote:Can someone explain any scenario that would have FL as a 2 seed in 7AA???
They are 3-1 in section play now with their one loss being at Grand Rapids by 1 goal. If they were to beat Elk River on Friday, beat Duluth East on Jan 21 and not completely fall apart down the stretch, it would be difficult to seed them behind teams they've beaten.

The possibility is likely a long shot, but at this point it's still a possibility.
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

Forest Lake also plays Andover which could help them in the seedings if they beat them.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

It is a possibility... and so is ER winning a game in the Edina classic...
FL has ER and Andover in there next 2 games, The NW suburban boy's might put those dreams to rest.
FL's 3 section wins V STMA, St. Franny and the rebuilding Lumberjacks.
They are currently 11 pts out of the third spot in the QRF rankings, a win for FL is much needed.
elliott70

Re: Elk River (5-3) vs Forest Lake (5-2-3) 12-28-13 7:30pm

Post by elliott70 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Both teams not playing in a holiday tournament, they play on Friday in a game with huge section implications. Both teams have one section loss to the same team and likely control their own destiny for the #2 seed in the section should either win out in their section games. With quality wins over both Edina, East and Maple Grove, the Elks are definitely the favorite in this match up, but the Rangers of Forest Lake have a few more games under their belt and are coming off a win where they scored 7 goals over Cloquet.

The same for Duluth East and Grand Rapids and many other teams in every section, AA and A, at this point in the season???????

Section 8AA - 5 teams chasing the 1 or 2 spot.
8A at least 3 teams...
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

Huge game for both teams, should be an exciting one. Look to see if ER can bounce back and if FL can keep their winning momentum, good goalie match up also.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

I also find this a very interesting matchup, Forest Lake hasn't had a great history when you think of the great hockey programs or even at the youth level. Can someone impartial tell me a little about them and if they can maintain a winning program in future years.
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

alcloseshaver wrote:I also find this a very interesting matchup, Forest Lake hasn't had a great history when you think of the great hockey programs or even at the youth level. Can someone impartial tell me a little about them and if they can maintain a winning program in future years.
To be honest, this is Forest Lake last year of being really good/competitive for a while. When this years class graduates there's a huge drop off in talent. So it will be interesting to see how they do after this year.
5thgraders

Post by 5thgraders »

Not true or if it is no one is to blame but the youth coaches who put there own sons progress above and beyond the team i.e. all the SPECIAL spots for success and then the less special can watch GREAT PLAN...if what you say is true then this the reason....they have left the development of the group as a agenda and have turned it into a family affair.. :idea:
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Bantam AA team is 500% right now. They have one of the Best, if not the best Bantam AA coach in the state. [Bill Coleman] He was a two time capt @ Bemidji St. under Bob Peters/also played two years under Kevin Hertzell w/ the Vulcans. Was on the highschool staff for five years prior. He plans on coaching the BAA for at least five years. [he only has daughters]. So my long winded point is the youth is in good hands. Sophs have 17 kids in the program. Two goalies. One will be just as good as the senior. Junior class has two or three good forwards/one or two D. If a coach can get five or six kids from a class a varsity team can enjoy success. Aaron is as good of a hockey guy as you will find. Last conference Championship was 2010. Only five seniors on that team. So I find it hard to agree w/mnhoc29.
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

old goalie85 wrote:Bantam AA team is 500% right now. They have one of the Best, if not the best Bantam AA coach in the state. [Bill Coleman] He was a two time capt @ Bemidji St. under Bob Peters/also played two years under Kevin Hertzell w/ the Vulcans. Was on the highschool staff for five years prior. He plans on coaching the BAA for at least five years. [he only has daughters]. So my long winded point is the youth is in good hands. Sophs have 17 kids in the program. Two goalies. One will be just as good as the senior. Junior class has two or three good forwards/one or two D. If a coach can get five or six kids from a class a varsity team can enjoy success. Aaron is as good of a hockey guy as you will find. Last conference Championship was 2010. Only five seniors on that team. So I find it hard to agree w/mnhoc29.
I'm not saying they're bad players, I'm saying that after this year there is a big talent drop off with all the seniors graduating. They'll win games in the future years but not as many as they have in the recent years.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

These seniors have the perfect chance to prove themselves tonight.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Is there any video or audio coverage of this game online?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

msbnsports.net will have an audio feed
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
BlackTape

Post by BlackTape »

4 - 1 Elks in the Third!
BlackTape

Post by BlackTape »

Final Elks 5 Vs Rangers 2
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

5-2 Elks final
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Flake "easily" could have won but could easily be a #5 seed in 7AA.
BlackTape

Post by BlackTape »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Flake "easily" could have won but could easily be a #5 seed in 7AA.
I agree Easily.....LOL