Hilltopper Holiday Classic- a dandy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HShockeyupnorth

Hilltopper Holiday Classic- a dandy

Post by HShockeyupnorth »

Top-ranked teams from both states. N.D. defending champions.

Dec 26th starting at 1:00pm

Duluth Marshall vs Appleton United

Mankato West vs Edgewood

Delano vs Notre Dame Academy

East Grand Forks vs Superior
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

anyone know if there is coverage of the games? Radio, online stream?

Should be a bunch of good games!
Bigcat99

Re: Hilltopper Holiday Classic- a dandy

Post by Bigcat99 »

HShockeyupnorth wrote:... N.D. defending champions. ???

Mankato West vs Edgewood

Huh?
It is what it is!
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Teams having to travel on Xmas day it would seem to make this tournament.

Bit much.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

puckbreath wrote:Teams having to travel on Xmas day it would seem to make this tournament.

Bit much.
Karl is it true Randolph skates his team every day during the holidays? Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years?
Or maybe the teams that lose to East this month like to repeat this rumor... Or maybe the Hounds players/parents exaggerate their holiday ice time to intimidate their opponents?
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
puckbreath wrote:Teams having to travel on Xmas day it would seem to make this tournament.

Bit much.
Karl is it true Randolph skates his team every day during the holidays? Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years?
Or maybe the teams that lose to East this month like to repeat this rumor... Or maybe the Hounds players/parents exaggerate their holiday ice time to intimidate their opponents?
Sounds like an excuse that a rapids fan would say at the every end of February :lol:
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

To clarify, N.D.= Notre Dame= The defending champions of this tourney.

Bigcat99 wrote:
HShockeyupnorth wrote:... N.D. defending champions. ???

Mankato West vs Edgewood

Huh?
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

Does anyone know if there is an online stream for these games? This looks to be a great tourney with some of the top teams in class A. I am really looking forward to the possible 2nd round matchup between DM and MW. I plan to travel up to Duluth and watch the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Chalk_Talk wrote:anyone know if there is coverage of the games? Radio, online stream?

Should be a bunch of good games!
rockcrusher

Post by rockcrusher »

Don't have to worry about DM in the winners bracket. They lost in a shoot out against appleton united. AU scored to tie it with 16 seconds left. Marshall outshot them 55-10. Played their backup goalie.
JSR

Post by JSR »

rockcrusher wrote:Don't have to worry about DM in the winners bracket. They lost in a shoot out against appleton united. AU scored to tie it with 16 seconds left. Marshall outshot them 55-10. Played their backup goalie.
Wonder if rockcrusher made excuses for the Russians back in 1980 right after they lost.... LOL :roll:
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

[quote="JSR"][quote="rockcrusher"]Don't have to worry about DM in the winners bracket. They lost in a shoot out against appleton united. AU scored to tie it with 16 seconds left. Marshall outshot them 55-10. Played their backup goalie.[/quote]

Wonder if rockcrusher made excuses for the Russians back in 1980 right after they lost.... LOL :roll:[/quote]

Bad bad loss for DM
JSR

Post by JSR »

HShockeyupnorth wrote:Top-ranked teams from both states. N.D. defending champions.

Mankato West vs Edgewood

Appleton (WI) beat DM 3-2
MktoWest beat Edgewod (WI) 6-4
Notre Dame (WI) beat Delano 5-1
EGF beat Superior (WI) 2-1

second round should be fun. I predict Notre Dame (WI) retains it's tourney title
JSR

Post by JSR »

TheInsider wrote:
JSR wrote:
rockcrusher wrote:Don't have to worry about DM in the winners bracket. They lost in a shoot out against appleton united. AU scored to tie it with 16 seconds left. Marshall outshot them 55-10. Played their backup goalie.
Wonder if rockcrusher made excuses for the Russians back in 1980 right after they lost.... LOL :roll:
Bad bad loss for DM
Perhaps, but the winning team always deserves credit for winning, not excuses for why the other team lost. Every single position and player on the ice is equally as important as the rest.....
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

JSR wrote:
TheInsider wrote:
JSR wrote: Wonder if rockcrusher made excuses for the Russians back in 1980 right after they lost.... LOL :roll:
Bad bad loss for DM
Perhaps, but the winning team always deserves credit for winning, not excuses for why the other team lost. Every single position and player on the ice is equally as important as the rest.....
I didn't see the game, but I have seen games before where the losing team definitely lost the game and the winning team doesn't deserve much praise for winning.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Traxler wrote:
JSR wrote:
TheInsider wrote: Bad bad loss for DM
I didn't see the game, but I have seen games before where the losing team definitely lost the game and the winning team doesn't deserve much praise for winning.
Why??? Are you saying the goalie is not an equally viable part of the TEAM??
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

JSR wrote:
Traxler wrote:
JSR wrote: Perhaps, but the winning team always deserves credit for winning, not excuses for why the other team lost. Every single position and player on the ice is equally as important as the rest.....
Not at all. I was a goalie when I played. However, I am saying that there are games where the winning team doesn't deserve much praise for winning the game.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Traxler wrote:
JSR wrote:
Traxler wrote: I didn't see the game, but I have seen games before where the losing team definitely lost the game and the winning team doesn't deserve much praise for winning.
Not at all. I was a goalie when I played. However, I am saying that there are games where the winning team doesn't deserve much praise for winning the game.
Maybe if/when the refs are an absolute atrocity, and those do happen but I think they are rare. Other than that I can't think of any reasons because regardless of what the "shots" were or even puck possession there are still six players on the ice, all of which are trying their very best and the winning team deserves the kudos no matter what (unless outside intereference literally decides the game, and again that is incredibly rare). So unless the refs decided this Appleton game, which I do not think was the case, they deserve kudos without excuses.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

JSR wrote:
Traxler wrote:
JSR wrote: Why??? Are you saying the goalie is not an equally viable part of the TEAM??
Maybe if/when the refs are an absolute atrocity, and those do happen but I think they are rare. Other than that I can't think of any reasons because regardless of what the "shots" were or even puck possession there are still six players on the ice, all of which are trying their very best and the winning team deserves the kudos no matter what (unless outside intereference literally decides the game, and again that is incredibly rare). So unless the refs decided this Appleton game, which I do not think was the case, they deserve kudos without excuses.
How do you get all of this out of what I say? I never made any comment about the refs.

I've played many games where my team has won the game while playing terribly. In those instances, I was not proud of the win. I've also played games where I knew that my team should have "easily won" but just kept shooting ourselves in the foot and lost the game without the other team doing much of anything to win.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Traxler wrote:
JSR wrote:
Traxler wrote: Not at all. I was a goalie when I played. However, I am saying that there are games where the winning team doesn't deserve much praise for winning the game.
How do you get all of this out of what I say? I never made any comment about the refs.

I've played many games where my team has won the game while playing terribly. In those instances, I was not proud of the win. I've also played games where I knew that my team should have "easily won" but just kept shooting ourselves in the foot and lost the game without the other team doing much of anything to win.
Nothing you just said is reason to not give the other team credit for their victory. If I am coaching and if I feel our team is the better team and played the better stuff I tell them that but I also tell them the other team deserves credit for figuring out a way to win and that next time we need to figure out a way to win. When my team plays poorly and wins I tell them that too but I also give them credit for figuring out how ito grind out a win as that is also the sign of a good team. :idea: :arrow: So again, there is never an instance where the winning team doesn't deserve their proper credit and kudos
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Mankato West 8
Appleton 2

West plays in the ship tomorrow against the winner of the EGF v Notre Dame game, which ND was leading 1-0 after two periods
JSR

Post by JSR »

Notre Dame (WI) defeats Mankato West 3-2 on overtime to repeat as tourney champs. Another fine showing by WI in this tourney :D :wink:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

JSR wrote:Notre Dame (WI) defeats Mankato West 3-2 on overtime to repeat as tourney champs. Another fine showing by WI in this tourney :D :wink:

Booooooo!!!!!

:evil:
:twisted:

:D
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

elliott70 wrote:
JSR wrote:Notre Dame (WI) defeats Mankato West 3-2 on overtime to repeat as tourney champs. Another fine showing by WI in this tourney :D :wink:

Booooooo!!!!!

:evil:
:twisted:

:D
C'mon Elliott, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel :D :D :D
What is a Green Wave anyway?
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Even though I'm a West fan, I still have to say I thought the state of Wisconsin was maybe the biggest winner. This tournament started with four ranked MN Class A teams: Marshall, Delano, Mankato West and East Grand Forks, but each one of those lost at least once to a Wisconsin team. Appleton beating Marshall, and Notre Dame beating both EGF and West shows how far the WI teams have come in the last few years.

Great tournament overall.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:

Bit much.
Mikes a beauty.