Section 6A 2013-14

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

preferhockey

Section 6A 2013-14

Post by preferhockey »

Now with a month into season need to rank teams

1. Cathedral - being undefeated #1 but feel can be beat
2. Alexandria - if team can be disciplined can take over #1
After 1&2 up for grabs
3. Apollo, 6-4 so barely hanging onto this spot
4. Sauk Rapids-Rice
5. Fergus Falls
6. Sartell
7. Northern Lakes
8. Praire Center

Section is a lot more open then people think. Team that improves the most during the season and has solid goal tendering in playoffs will make the trip to Excel.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

I wouldnt quite say Apollo is holding onto the 3rd spot barely, the top 3 in 6A is pretty clear with Cathedral, Alexandria and Apollo taking the spots in collective order.
hockey9011

Re: Section 6A 2013-14

Post by hockey9011 »

preferhockey wrote:Now with a month into season need to rank teams

1. Cathedral - being undefeated #1 but feel can be beat
2. Alexandria - if team can be disciplined can take over #1
After 1&2 up for grabs
3. Apollo, 6-4 so barely hanging onto this spot
4. Sauk Rapids-Rice
5. Fergus Falls
6. Sartell
7. Northern Lakes
8. Praire Center

Section is a lot more open then people think. Team that improves the most during the season and has solid goal tendering in playoffs will make the trip to Excel.

Pretty solid rankings in my opinion.. I think this section is pretty wide open even with SCC being undefeated so far. Your number one team barely beat the number six team 3-2.. Cathedral has to be the favorite so far with Alexandia close behind. I think it will be pretty open come playoff time
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

#6 has talent, needs to play as team and avoid stupid penalties and could beat any section team.

#4 upset #1 last night, prediction of losing happen sooner than expected

#3 lost again, so with 6-5 record will drop in next week ranking, no longer barely hanging on, they have fallen.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

preferhockey wrote:#6 has talent, needs to play as team and avoid stupid penalties and could beat any section team.

#3 lost again, so with 6-5 record will drop in next week ranking, no longer barely hanging on, they have fallen.
Agreed about Sartell completely.. Have one of the most talented teams in the section but just can't seem to put a 51 min game together without falling apart mentally and taking stupid penalties. Apollo has been inconsistent as well, but I can't bank on their win over Duluth Marshall forever. Sauk rapids is havin a solid year and it capable of making a run during playoffs. Cathedral has the top end talent but not as much depth as they usually have.
Last edited by hockey9011 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

hockey9011 wrote:
preferhockey wrote:#6 has talent, needs to play as team and avoid stupid penalties and could beat any section team.

Agreed about Sartell completely.. Have one of the most talented teams in the section but just can't seem to put a 51 min game together without falling apart mentally and taking stupid penalties. Apollo has been inconsistent as well, but I can't bank on their win over Duluth Marshall forever. Sauk rapids is havin a solid year and it capable of making a run during playoffs. Cathedral has the top end talent but not as much depth as they usual have.
I'd agree entirely...especially on Cathedral. Hammer is far and away the best player in this section right now (IMO) but they rely too much on him.

They'll need some secondary scoring but I don't see that happening unless they make some tweaks. I think they could get that by splitting up their top line as Hammer can generate scoring opportunities playing with anyone.

I don't see the Apollo loss to Tech as having much of an impact as far section 6A rankings go. They've got too many games within the section remaining for a loss to an out of section team at this point to have any impact.

If this season has shown anything it's that any of these teams can beat each other on a given day. That'll make the section playoffs very enjoyable.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

Sartell beats Cathedral 3-2 in overtime...
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

hockey9011 wrote:Sartell beats Cathedral 3-2 in overtime...
That puts another wrench in the equation!

Contenders:
Cathedral (9-2)
-- Wins over Sartell/Fergus/Alex
-- Losses to Sauk Rapids/Sartell
Alexandria (8-3)
-- Wins over Sartell/Sauk Rapids/Fergus
-- Loss to Cathedral
Apollo (8-5)
-- Wins over Sauk Rapids/Sartell
Sartell (6-5)
-- Wins over Sauk Rapids/Cathedral
-- Losses to Alex/Apollo/Cathedral/Fergus

Could Make Noise:
Sauk Rapids (5-5)
-- Wins over Cathedral/Fergus
-- Losses to Sartell/Apollo/Alex and Win
Fergus Falls (5-7)
-- Win over Sartell
-- Losses to Sauk Rapids/Cathedral/Alex

Outside Looking In:
Northern Lakes (7-3)
Prairie Center (8-4)

Basically all teams will play each other one more time as well minus Sartell/Cathedral. Going to be a fun next couple of months here![/b]
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Ranking as of 1-5-14

1. Alex 8-3-1, top because everyone else with more recent loses
2. Cathedral 9-4, 4 loses in last 2 weeks
3. Sartell 6-6, potential
4. Apollo 8-6, need goal tendering and D play
5. Sauk Rapids 6-5, first 5 teams all contenders for state
6. Fergus 6-8, inconsistent
7. Prairie Center 8-5, 3-2 lost to Alex
8. Little Falls 2-11-1, did beat NL
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

preferhockey wrote:Ranking as of 1-5-14

Apollo beat Sartell 5-2 earlier in the season, curious as to why you have those two how you do.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

GordonBombay99 wrote:

Apollo beat Sartell 5-2 earlier in the season, curious as to why you have those two how you do.
That game was pretty early in the season. I can see those two being flopped around pretty easily. I think sartell has been playing better as of late and that the next matchup between these two could determine who gets the 3 or 4 seed come sections.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

GordonBombay99 wrote:

Put more value in current games, Sartell's win over Catherdral separates these teams. Apollo can prove themselves against Alex this week.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

Apollo beat fergus falls 3-0
Sartell beats willmar 4-2
Sauk Rapids-Rice beats River Lakes 7-0
Alexandria beat St. Cloud tech 6-1
Prairie Centre beat Little Falls 5-2
Northern Lakes beat Moose lake area 6-3

Games on Thursday 1/9
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Ranking 1/17/14

1. Alex 11-3-1
2 Apollo 11-7
3. Cathedral 10-6
4. Sauk Rapids 8-6
5. Sartell 7-8
6. Fergus Falls 7-10
7. Praire Center 10-6
8. Little Falls 3-13

Alex continues to be favorite.
1-4 could change at any time, Sartell can compete need to learn to win, Prairie Center has played top teams close could get an upset during playoffs
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

preferhockey wrote:Ranking 1/17/14

1. Alex 11-3-1
2 Apollo 11-7
3. Cathedral 10-6
4. Sauk Rapids 8-6
5. Sartell 7-8
6. Fergus Falls 7-10
7. Praire Center 10-6
8. Little Falls 3-13

Alex continues to be favorite.
1-4 could change at any time, Sartell can compete need to learn to win, Prairie Center has played top teams close could get an upset during playoffs
Curious why you have Apollo ranked above St. Cloud cathedral?
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Cathedral record since Christmas is 2-6. Beat by both Sartell and Sauk Rapids and no quality win.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

Okay fair enough. That section will be a mess to seed, especially if sartell gets wins the second time around against Alex and apollo
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

St Cloud Cathedral beats Totino Grace 5-4. Will Hammer had 4 goals for cathedral
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

1/25 rankings

1. Alex, solid hold on #1
2. Cathedral, has righted the ship
3 thru 5 can change any day
3. Apollo
4. Sauk Rapids
5. Sartell
6&7 toss up
6. Fergus Falls
7. Prairie Center
8 thru 11 anyone with quality win from here will get first round playoff game at home
8. Little Falls
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

How do you think the 1-5 will end up?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

preferhockey wrote:1/25 rankings

3. Apollo
4. Sauk Rapids
5. Sartell
6&7 toss up
6. Fergus Falls
7. Prairie Center
8 thru 11 anyone with quality win from here will get first round playoff game at home
8. Little Falls
How does Alex have a firm hold on #1?
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

notTONIGHT wrote:

3. Apollo
4. Sauk Rapids
5. Sartell
6&7 toss up
6. Fergus Falls
7. Prairie Center
8. Little Falls

Cathedral beat Alex already this year and a way stronger schedule. There is no way Alex will get the one seed unless cathedral stumbles down the stretch
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

hockey9011 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

3. Apollo
4. Sauk Rapids
5. Sartell
6&7 toss up
6. Fergus Falls
7. Prairie Center
8. Little Falls

Cathedral beat Alex already this year and a way stronger schedule. There is no way Alex will get the one seed unless cathedral stumbles down the stretch
hockey9011 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

3. Apollo
4. Sauk Rapids
5. Sartell
6&7 toss up
6. Fergus Falls
7. Prairie Center
8. Little Falls

I would not say Cathedral had a way stronger schedule. Alex had Moorhead on the ropes after 2 periods before collapsing in the third. They beat and tied
Brainerd, tied Bemidji, beat River Lakes, beat Coon Rapids lost to Roseau all AA teams. They also have soundly beaten nearly every team in the section except for the 3-2 loss to Cathedral. This Cathedral team is not the powerhouse it was with Poganski, Swingle, and Hall. Hammer is a stud but is not paired with the talent he's played with in past years.
I expect The Cardinals to get the top seed if they close out the season strong.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

RRubberbeeskit wrote:
hockey9011 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote: How does Alex have a firm hold on #1?

hockey9011 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

I would not say Cathedral had a way stronger schedule. Alex had Moorhead on the ropes after 2 periods before collapsing in the third. They beat and tied
Brainerd, tied Bemidji, beat River Lakes, beat Coon Rapids lost to Roseau all AA teams. They also have soundly beaten nearly every team in the section except for the 3-2 loss to Cathedral. This Cathedral team is not the powerhouse it was with Poganski, Swingle, and Hall. Hammer is a stud but is not paired with the talent he's played with in past years.
I agree that they aren't the team they were last year. If poganski and hall were still here then we would be talking about a state championship level team.. I still think their schedule is much harder with games against new Prague, EGF , hermantown, breck, Warroad, Totino grace, Delano, Duluth Marshall, Duluth denfield, Orono, etc... Much harder then those you listed
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

hockey9011 wrote:
RRubberbeeskit wrote:
hockey9011 wrote:
hockey9011 wrote:
I agree that they aren't the team they were last year. If poganski and hall were still here then we would be talking about a state championship level team.. I still think their schedule is much harder with games against new Prague, EGF , hermantown, breck, Warroad, Totino grace, Delano, Duluth Marshall, Duluth denfield, Orono, etc... Much harder then those you listed
Yes that is a battle tested team. Those are some quality teams no doubt. It will be interesting come seeding time. If Alex and Cathedral meet in the Sec 6A title game it will be a good one to witness for sure.