Class A Rankings 1-5-2014

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

How should the top 3 in Section 4A be seeded?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:02 am

1 Maht, 2 SPA, 3 TG
15%
1 Maht, 2 TG, 3 SPA
38%
1 SPA, 2 Maht, 3 TG
8%
1 SPA, 2 TG, 3 Maht
23%
1 TG, 2 SPA, 3 Maht
8%
Someone else will be top 3
8%

Total votes: 13

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 1-5-2014

Post by HShockeywatcher »

I only ranked 10 teams last week and that didn't go over well, so I'm back at 15.
It is always interesting that teams you watch for a good part of the season fall off your radar as they play bad games while others solidify themselves. That is very true this week and I expect it to continue.

I have ranked 4 sections as I see it just looking at in section games and will do the same with the remaining 4 sections next week.

Feedback and input are always appreciated. Enjoy!

1. Breck (8-2-1)
The Mustangs sat idle this week while other Class A teams beat up on each other. They have two conference games and a AA test on the road this week.
This week: Tues vs Minneapolis, Thurs @ St Paul Academy, Sat @ Moorhead

2. East Grand Forks (10-2-1)
The Green Wave took care of business against another good Class A school this week, but the only quality Class A games that remain on their schedule are section opponents.
This week: Sat @ Grand Forks Central

3. Warroad (11-2-1)
The Warriors continue to win and win handily. Since tying EGF, they have 3 shut outs. Can they keep that up as they travel to Roseau this week?
This week: Thurs @ Roseau, Sat vs Crookston

4. Hermantown (10-2)
The Hawks dismantled the Hilltoppers in Duluth this week and kept up their winning ways picking up two more wins to stay undefeated against Class A teams. They have two good tests and can move up in the rankings if they come away with two more wins.
This week: Tues @ Grand Rapids, Fri vs Cathedral

5. Duluth Marshall (7-6)
The Hilltoppers are clearly a good team, with Hermantown being the only Class A loss they’ve had since being full strength, but the Hawks are a team they’ll have to get by to make it back to the X.
This week: Thurs @ Superior, Sat vs St Paul Academy

6. New Prague (8-2-2)
Now in the driver’s seat for section 1A, the Trojans have a very good team and will be in any game they play. Their game hosting Hermantown in three weeks is the only game of real concern in the immediate future.
This week: Tues vs Holy Angels, Sat @ Chaska

7. Mankato West (11-2)
The Scarlets will likely make it to the section final of 1A with 25 wins and 2 losses and be the #2 seed. If they can make it past New Prague, they could definitely play with anyone, but they’ll have to do that first.
This week: Tues vs Rochester Lourdes, Thurs @ Rochester Mayo, Sat @ Rochester Century

8. Cathedral (9-4)
The Crusaders are clearly not a top 5 team, but they are clearly a team with good defense. While they didn’t beat either EGF or Warroad, they held both to 3 goals. How will they do on the road in Hermantown this week?
This week: Fri @ Hermantown

9. Totino-Grace (4-6-1)
The Eagles picked up two losses this week against St Thomas and Marshall by a total margin of 3 goals. They should be able to get above .500 this week and hopefully right the ship they’ll need in order to be able to earn the top spot in the section.
This week: Tues vs Roseville, Thurs vs Spring Lake Park, Sat vs St Louis Park

10. St Paul Academy (9-3)
The Class A losses the Spartans have are to Totino and Blake but also have a win over Mahtomedi so their hope for the top seed in the section remains alive. The played Breck close twice last year, can they do the same this year. Anything other than 0-2 would be a surprise this week, but also a great confidence booster for this young team.
This week: Thurs vs Breck, Sat @ Duluth Marshall

11. Mahtomedi (5-6)
While they Zephyrs are below .500 at the moment, it is important to note that their losses have come against quality opponents, many they have played very well and very tight. I wouldn’t count them out in any game they have on their schedule.
This week: Thurs vs Tartan, Sat vs South St Paul

12. Alexandria (8-3-1)
The Cardinals’ one Class A blemish on the season was a 1-goal loss to section foe Cathedral. They play Apollo on the road this week where they will need a win to keep any hopes of a #1 section seed alive.
This week: Tues @ St Cloud Apollo, Thurs vs St Cloud Tech

13. Orono (8-4)
While they lost a close one to Rogers over break, they responded with two shut outs. With a handful of teams able to claim the #2 seed in their section, two wins over good section opponents this week would do a lot to help their case.
This week: Tues vs Delano, Thurs @ Bloomington Kennedy, Sat @ Litchfield

14. Thief River Falls (8-5)
4 of the Prowlers’ 5 Class A losses have been to top teams. The shut out to Warroad would suggest they will not be competing for a section title, but they will definitely try to be in the mix by season’s end. They have a schedule good enough to prepare them for the top good teams.
This week: Tues @ Park Rapids

15. Hibbing (7-5)
With 4 of their 5 losses coming against AA competition, the Bluejackets are taking care of business in Class A. They are technically in control of their own destiny in their section as they are undefeated in section play and have games against all of the relevant teams aside from Duluth Marshall. They have two important games this week.
This week: Tues vs Cloquet, Sat @ Virginia

Teams to watch:

Luverne (14-0-1)
The Cardinals needed to come from behind to beat Dodge County, so they clearly aren't a team that will be ranked this season, but there is a good chance they’ll end the regular season without a loss. They could definitely be one of the 0-2 teams at state this year, but if they are, those are likely to be the only losses they get this season.
This week: Tues @ Fairmont, Sat vs Willmar

Bloomington Kennedy (5-7-1)
They game in Apple Valley will likely be the Kennedy’s only opportunity to get a conference win this season, but with the drop down to Class A this year, the Eagles have the opportunity to stir things up this year. If they have beaten Luverne over the break, it’d be really tempting to rank Kennedy, as they are now 5-1-1 in their games against Class A teams. They have beaten Delano already and are 1-0-1 in section games and with 3 remaining section games this season, they could get a decent ranking in section 2A.
This week: Tues @ Prior Lake, Thurs vs Orono

Delano (6-5-1)
With losses to St Louis Park and Kennedy, the Tigers probably won’t get a good seed in the section, but they are another team who will be able to play with anyone. It’ll be interesting to see who emerges out of the conference between them and Orono.
This week: Tues @ Orono, Thurs vs Mound-Westonka, Sat vs Rochester Lourdes

Chisago Lakes Area (9-6)
With their 5-2 win over Spring Lake Park earlier this season, the Wildcats should be the top seed in 5A and favorite to represent the section at the X.
This week: Tues vs Cambridge-Isanti, Sat vs Legacy Christian

Virginia (7-5-1)
Like Hibbing, Virginia is a team there is little known about. Their only Class A losses are to Warroad and Mahtomedi and are undefeated in sectional play, with the opportunity to pick up two more section wins this week.
This week: Tues vs International Falls, Sat vs Hibbing

Section Rankings
1A
#1 – New Prague
#2 – Mankato West
There are all of 3 teams in this section not listed above with winning records. New Prague has the advantage having won the first meeting, but the second should be just as intense.

2A
#1 – Breck
#2 – Chaska
#3 – Kennedy
#4 – Orono
#5 – Delano
#6 – St Louis Park
#7 – Blake
#8 – Minneapolis
This section is the deepest in Class A of teams that could end up with the #2 seed in the section. Maybe a couple have a shot of making it a game with Breck, but there are many who could be playing in the section final.

3A
#1 – Luverne
#2 – Willmar
#3 – New Ulm
#4 – Hutchinson
Luverne has the top spot for not because of their record, but there is a very good chance that will change on Saturday when they host Willmar.

5A
#1 – Chisago Lakes
#2 – Spring Lake Park
#3 – Princeton
Princeton was the team many said early in the season would walk to state but that appears to actually be Chisago Lakes. They have another matchup with Princeton, but don’t expect them to lose the top spot.
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Luverne did not need overtime to beat Dodge county.
HShockeywatcher

notTONIGHT wrote:Luverne did not need overtime to beat Dodge county.
Mistyped, and fixed.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

So, Luverne is clearly not a team to be ranked.

If kennedy beats them they will be ranked.

Why does (Kennedy) beating a team (Luverne) who cant be, and wont be ranked, garner the attention to earn a ranking?

You seem to contradict yourself.

Anyone at ridder saw a Luverne team that handled Kennedy.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

New Prague, tho a really good squad, will not blow teams out with their system of play. They are a grind it out team that is tenacious and give good system type teams fits! Therefore they're 'rink rat' style of hockey will cause problems for opponents, so every team they play will be a close game. They have a never give up mentality that will carry them far this season.
alumni52

Post by alumni52 »

Not tonight I know you are a big Luverne fan and all but there is no chance luverne should be ranked.
This team has beat nobody this year. They beat a team 4-3 and were losing halfway through the third and that team only beat Austin and waseca, two of the worst teams in the state, by one goal apiece.
Before there dodge county game you could of made a case for them but after that I don't think its possible to consider them being ranked unless there is massive changes in the top teams.
Im cheering for them as they are a small school and a great story but all the teams ahead of them deserve it much more.
un bias opinions on 3A
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

alumni52 wrote:Not tonight I know you are a big Luverne fan and all but there is no chance luverne should be ranked.
This team has beat nobody this year. They beat a team 4-3 and were losing halfway through the third and that team only beat Austin and waseca, two of the worst teams in the state, by one goal apiece.
Before there dodge county game you could of made a case for them but after that I don't think its possible to consider them being ranked unless there is massive changes in the top teams.
Im cheering for them as they are a small school and a great story but all the teams ahead of them
deserve it much more
Why does this word keep appearing...? IF "Deserve" is the rule, why even PLAY the games...? Idiotic.
hockeyfan26

Post by hockeyfan26 »

fastncrash wrote:
alumni52 wrote:Not tonight I know you are a big Luverne fan and all but there is no chance luverne should be ranked.
Im cheering for them as they are a small school and a great story but all the teams ahead of them
deserve it much more
Why does this word keep appearing...? IF "Deserve" is the rule, why even PLAY the games...? Idiotic.
Other teams DESERVE it because they play a tougher schedule. If you play Luverne's schedule its going to be harder to get ranked than a team that plays a good schedule and competes.....pretty simple
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

hockeyfan26 wrote:
fastncrash wrote:
Im cheering for them as they are a small school and a great story but all the teams ahead of them.
Other teams DESERVE it because they play a tougher schedule. If you play Luverne's schedule its going to be harder to get ranked than a team that plays a good schedule and competes.....pretty simple
Yeah, REALLY simple. Then your confirming that records of games aren't necessary. Just pick whoever you think has attended your "Minimum required quality of schedule" forget about who wins or loses, and set the seedings for a "Mock" playoff and hand the State Championship to whoever deserves/meets your specifications. Your not impressing me as being a "Thinker" either.
alumni52

Post by alumni52 »

fastncrash wrote:
hockeyfan26 wrote:
fastncrash wrote: Why does this word keep appearing...? IF "Deserve" is the rule, why even PLAY the games...? Idiotic.
Yeah, REALLY simple. Then your confirming that records of games aren't necessary. Just pick whoever you think has attended your "Minimum required quality of schedule" forget about who wins or loses, and set the seedings for a "Mock" playoff and hand the State Championship to whoever deserves/meets your specifications. Your not impressing me as being a "Thinker" either.
You can say or think whatever you want but all I am trying to say is there is at least 20-30 A teams in the state that could have played the same schedule as Luverne and be undefeated, not with a shootout win against a lackluster team that dominated them.
I know luverne tries there best to get a better schedule but until they do it is almost impossible to rank this team. They are a young team that will only get better, they just need to improve there schedule next year or perform much better this year come playoff time. The team and their fans that seem to dominate this board need to be more concerned about there section and Gustavus come playoff time rather than them being ranked.
un bias opinions on 3A
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

fastncrash wrote:
hockeyfan26 wrote:
fastncrash wrote: Why does this word keep appearing...? IF "Deserve" is the rule, why even PLAY the games...? Idiotic.

Rankings are just what some person thinks about who is better, you know that.

Personally I would put them anywhere from 19 to 24.
But like HSHW rankings it does not mean a dang thing.

Go to my hockey rankings or if you want to be really happy look at the qrf's.

Luverne has some good young players, but good enough to win a first round game at state????

I don't think so and most hockey people don't think so. But the only ones who need to believe it are those 20 kids playing the game.
Meanwhile anyone looking for high rankings will have to wait for the games to be tougher.

That's just the way it is.

Win state.

Hockey needs a Cinderella story.

Go Cardinals!!!

:D :D
Teak

Post by Teak »

I love reading the rankings threads. It is always MUCH ADO about NOTHING.

I especially love reading complaints about schedules. Luverne happens to be in the SW corner of the state so they play other schools in the SW corner, or within a 4-hour drive. I suppose that the Luverne coach should just uproot his players from school every week to travel Up Nort so that they can play NW and N schools in order to get a better schedule. Let's just change it from high school hockey to a AAA travel squad.

I think we should be happy that the SW corner is beginning to produce some decent programs. Marshall had a Cinderella trip to state last season (first ever) and didn't get completely blown out. Likewise, Luverne has an excellent and growing program that has produced the top frosh scorers of the past two seasons. This is GOOD for Minnesota hockey, not bad.
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Well aware of all the stipulations of a complicated system... MY ISSUE was with the phrasing of the "Deserve it much more" comment. Period.
Teak

Re: Class A Rankings 1-5-2014

Post by Teak »

HShockeywatcher wrote: 15. Hibbing (7-5)
With 4 of their 5 losses coming against AA competition, the Bluejackets are taking care of business in Class A. They are technically in control of their own destiny in their section as they are undefeated in section play and have games against all of the relevant teams aside from Duluth Marshall. They have two important games this week.
This week: Tues vs Cloquet, Sat @ Virginia
Is this the same Hibbing team that tied Albert Lea -from the despised South- IN Hibbing on Saturday? Just checking ... :roll:
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Wasn't the youth level teams from Luverne in district 4 at one time? (or still are ) I believe that they should be used to traveling for better competition, before the district realignments a couple years ago, to Mankato, New Prague, etc. I could be wrong on that tho. But I remember going down Luverne way a couple times a year.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

alumni52 wrote:You can say or think whatever you want but all I am trying to say is there is at least 20-30 A teams in the state that could have played the same schedule as Luverne and be undefeated, not with a shootout win against a lackluster team that dominated them. .
And if any one of those 20-30 Class A teams were undefeated, they would without a doubt be ranked.

We both know it.
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

The rankings are all good and fine, and make for good conversation, but in the end what matters is how a team performs in playoffs, and hopefully the State Tournament.

There isn't an automatic bid for the State Tournament based on how a team is ranked here, so why get upset about it? If they are that good, it will be proven come playoff time.

Personally, I would rather have people looking past my team, not gunning for them based on a ranking.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

CreaseMonkey wrote:The rankings are all good and fine, and make for good conversation, but in the end what matters is how a team performs in playoffs, and hopefully the State Tournament.

There isn't an automatic bid for the State Tournament based on how a team is ranked here, so why get upset about it? If they are that good, it will be proven come playoff time.

Personally, I would rather have people looking past my team, not gunning for them based on a ranking.
Great Post!

I appreciate the effort made by HSHockeyWatcher but honestly the rankings dont make sense. It is a nice effort and is always appreciated. One person's opinion does not matter.

Luverne is having a fun year down in SW Minnesota I love the excitement for the team. But we are Section 3A we are never going to get respect. That is just the way that it is.

Hutch, Willmar New Ulm and Luverne wiull have a great battle for state. Small COMMUNITIES. Not private school who cant hack it with the big boys. Good Luck to all 4 on their quest for the X all 4 are very equal and on any given night can win this section.

Thanks for the rankings and lets just move on.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

I don't care where Luverne is ranked, don't know a thing about their program.

I do like seeing a "new kid on the block" so to speak, and any small town that has the local, non-imported kids playing on the team gets my respect any day of the week.

State needs more such stories.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Very true Puck, It's nice to see other than the "AA" bigs and "A" privates get some INK once in awhile. I hope that teams like Luverne can keep their talent until they graduate without being swayed to other programs with the promise of bigger and better things. Stay with your buddies, you'll never regret it. Seen it happen first hand unfortunately, but the guys left behind have done well so far without them!!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Im cheering for them as they are a small school and a great story but all the teams ahead of them deserve it much more.
If we are going the transitive property approach, It could be argued that luverne pounded st. Peter, and Mankato West did not. :?:
Luverne is undefeated, and until they are defeated, they deserve a ranking IMO.
Everyone knows when they lose a game the haters are going to come out from every corner and crack of this forum.
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:But we are Section 3A we are never going to get respect. That is just the way that it is.
When i was in high school in section 1 no one got any respect in our section outside of lourdes...if you want respect and you play in a section that isnt a powerhouse so to speak, go to state and get after it. its pretty simple.

I was just reading the 3a thread a day or 2 ago and there was talk about luverne playing against a team where some of the kids could barely even skate. they won 3-0 against a team that had kids that could barely skate?
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

notTONIGHT wrote:Luverne is undefeated, and until they are defeated, they deserve a ranking IMO.
a lot of people on this bored outside of 3a dont share this same opinion. nor do i either. for what its worth if they go to state and win a quarterfinal game they will have earned my respect, not that it means anything though:)
HShockeywatcher

notTONIGHT wrote:Why does (Kennedy) beating a team (Luverne) who cant be, and wont be ranked, garner the attention to earn a ranking?
With what Kennedy had done prior to the Luverne game, I thought they'd beat Luverne. But they didn't. So they aren't the team I thought they were. Luverne is clearly good. And games aren't played on paper. It happens often that a team is testing out lines against a lower opponent, wins a close game and people question the team. I understand that. But on paper, the majority of what I look at, it's still a close win. Luverne has played 3 games this season against teams "possibly worth mentioning" and has won by 1 once and by 2 twice. They are clearly not a team like West who is demolishing all of their opponents.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for them as a team and a program. The team is very young it appears. The kids will be tested by Willmar but hopefully get a chance to play at the X, hopefully work hard, get a few better teams on their schedule and it would be great to see them win a game at state sometime in the next 3 or 4 years. But right now I highly doubt you could find many people to put money on them over any of the teams I have ranked.
fastncrash wrote:Yeah, REALLY simple. Then your confirming that records of games aren't necessary. Just pick whoever you think has attended your "Minimum required quality of schedule" forget about who wins or loses, and set the seedings for a "Mock" playoff and hand the State Championship to whoever deserves/meets your specifications. Your not impressing me as being a "Thinker" either.
Ultimately, it's about how you win. Who you beat matters, but how you beat them also does. If Luverne had the same schedule and was winning differently, there'd be a case and it would be hard to not rank them. Compare Luverne's schedule and West's, for example. West's is probably more difficult, but with the exception of the holiday tournaments, neither team plays almost any teams worth mentioning. Now compare how West is winning their games. That is the difference.

Not many would expect Luverne to come out with 10 games different on their schedule next year. They won the Open Division of Schwan's Cup, so hopefully they can play in the Bronze next year. Maybe they can get two to four of their other games changed to some more difficult teams. If they were winning their games like West is, it would be because of the ability of the team. It's really that simple.

I'm not putting them down. And I don't think most people are. The issue is when people respond with the "what do you expect us to do?" questions. The answer is nothing. Go out and play the game. The team has 5 players in the top 25 in the state in scoring right now and only 2 are seniors. They aren't going anywhere. I'm hoping they can do well.
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:I appreciate the effort made by HSHockeyWatcher but honestly the rankings dont make sense. It is a nice effort and is always appreciated. One person's opinion does not matter.
What doesn't make sense to you?

Feedback is always appreciated.
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:But we are Section 3A we are never going to get respect. That is just the way that it is.
What do you mean by "respect?" Do you mean what the word actually means? Or what? I don't think there is any actual disrespect toward 3A. I think people simply understand how good many of the teams actually are...maybe that's just me though...
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

Very nice post HSHockeyWatcher. I respect you for your rankings and your explanations about each team, like it was said earlier, it's tough to rank Luverne who nearly lost to Dodge County, who beat WASECA 3-2..... Handle the rest of your opponents and maybe then you will be looked at.