State of Brainerd Hockey?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:01 am

I think this style is taught at the high school level and emulated at the younger level. Their BA team was one of the cheapest in the state as well. In one game there were two unbelievable cheap shots within 5 minutes with both Brainerd players being ejected. The first could have been called charging, boarding, check from behind, head contact, cause he did them mall. Second one 5 minutes later could have been called all of the same again. Both occurred without the kid having the puck. A couple of their players were yelling things at the players on the ice. Some of their parents were screaming about the ejection of the players. Low class teams and parents. I am sure there are some nice parents, but if they are going to stand around and watch (quite a few) parents make fools of themselves, then they will get lumped in with the others. This first stems from coaching, and then the parents. Is really unfortunate

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:49 am

Sounds like the program got away from the administration? Their football program is a first class operation under Stolski.

karl(east)

Re: It is not over till it is over

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 am

Puckguy19 wrote:
Skip_per wrote:The process is not over yet............... please be patient and lets hold our opinions. The facts are not all in as of yet.............
While the process may not be over yet, non-renewal by the school board is not a good start. It is extremely difficult to reverse such a decision, and even if one is successful, the process usually comes with a strong dose of ill-will, within the community. At times the end result isn't worth the fight. The East situation is one of the few examples of overcoming a non-renewal, and that took time. Am guessing there were a number of damaged relationships, too.
I'd say it took as many as 5 years before things were back to the old normal.

Fighting a non-renewal is doable, but you've got to be able to convince the general public that the administration acted rashly. Otherwise you're just fighting an ugly war that sends everything into a downward spiral.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Sarsland was going to fight it and pulled the plug just before it went before the school board. I'm sure he saw it was a no win situation.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:07 pm

School boards are elected, a small vocal minority carries a lot of weight in districts where the school board has the power over coaches contracts. I've coached under those and those where AD''s have all the power, there is good and bad to both. In Lakeville less than 20 people got a good coach removed in a school board control situation, a number of years ago a new AD in Waseca fired nearly every coach including a hall of fame coach and replaced them with her friends. Both systems can be abused by a few people.

Gunrack

Post by Gunrack » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:21 am

gorilla1 wrote:I think this style is taught at the high school level and emulated at the younger level. Their BA team was one of the cheapest in the state as well. In one game there were two unbelievable cheap shots within 5 minutes with both Brainerd players being ejected. The first could have been called charging, boarding, check from behind, head contact, cause he did them mall. Second one 5 minutes later could have been called all of the same again. Both occurred without the kid having the puck. A couple of their players were yelling things at the players on the ice. Some of their parents were screaming about the ejection of the players. Low class teams and parents. I am sure there are some nice parents, but if they are going to stand around and watch (quite a few) parents make fools of themselves, then they will get lumped in with the others. This first stems from coaching, and then the parents. Is really unfortunate
Tough day in Chaska/ Chanhassen ? As far as parents making fools of themselves, if I recall there were parents on both sides acting like fools.

blueline1

Post by blueline1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:48 am

Brainerd had a Bantam A coach several years ago that had a strict decorum policy for both parents and players. He would actually point to a parent from the bench if they were yelling at a ref or opposing players. The parents were told they would be asked to leave if they couldn't behave. Parents and players learned a lot about sportsmanship under this coach. It would be nice to see more of that.

BBB

Post by BBB » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Brainerd has hockey?

Bauer Huggers

Post by Bauer Huggers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:50 pm

BBB wrote:Brainerd has hockey?
yep they sure do but those who cling to the creator of the "warrior way" they wish it would go away. :(

Gunrack

Post by Gunrack » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Bauer Huggers wrote:
BBB wrote:Brainerd has hockey?
yep they sure do but those who cling to the creator of the "warrior way" they wish it would go away. :(
Actually, that is quite to the contrary. It has been heard that those in charge of the puck wish that the others would go away.. Not much love for the boys of fall.