NHL Central Scouting Midterm rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

green4

NHL Central Scouting Midterm rankings

Post by green4 »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=699869

3 projected first rounders from Minnesota with Glover at 27, Dougherty at 29 and Collins at 32

The highest High school player is Snuggerud at 61 followed by Slattery at 67 and Spinner at 70.
Pleasant surprise to see Miguel Fidler at 180. Was not expecting to see him on here.

Pretty light for guys playing High school in minnesota it seems
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

I know it is splitting hairs when you get down to 180th rank of North American players but Fidler is ranked higher than Dylan Malmquist (199) and Parker Reno (202).
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

How are you a projected first rounder at 32 of just the NA skaters?

Two years ago, I thought Malmquist would have been way up there.
InYourFace09

Re: NHL Central Scouting Midterm rankings

Post by InYourFace09 »

green4 wrote:http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=699869

3 projected first rounders from Minnesota with Glover at 27, Dougherty at 29 and Collins at 32

The highest High school player is Snuggerud at 61 followed by Slattery at 67 and Spinner at 70.
Pleasant surprise to see Miguel Fidler at 180. Was not expecting to see him on here.

Looks like Keegan Iverson is 64... Played at Breck before Portland.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

InYourFace09 wrote: Looks like Keegan Iverson is 64... Played at Breck before Portland.
Probably could have made that spot playing HS hockey.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

InYourFace09 wrote:

Probably would have ranked higher if he had stayed in high school. Hasn't really found his niche at Portland.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Bonin2121 wrote:How are you a projected first rounder at 32 of just the NA skaters?

They are not. They are B players which indicate 2/3. Still very good.
observer

Post by observer »

I think I'll draft Jake Randolph before Fidler.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Randolph will turn 20 prior to the draft which I believe makes him too old to be drafted. Toninato was born the same day and he got drafted 2 years ago.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Plenty of Minnesotans in other leagues throughout the list, but here are just the MNHSL kids...

Code: Select all

61  - D - Luc Snuggerud   - Eden Prairie - Nebraska-Omaha
67  - F - Mitch Slattery  - Hill-Murray  - St. Cloud State
70  - F - Steven Spinner  - Eden Prairie - Nebraska-Omaha
97  - D - Nick Wolff      - Eagan        - Uncommitted
168 - D - Tyler Nanne     - Edina        - Ohio State
180 - F - Miguel Fidler   - Edina        - Uncommitted
199 - F - Dylan Malmquist - Edina        - Notre Dame
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Jack Walker is another kid that left, and he didn't even make the rankings.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Bonin2121 wrote:Jack Walker is another kid that left, and he didn't even make the rankings.
Surprised with that.. Didn't see Jake Whalin anywhere - Thought he should be in the mix for 96's
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

He's not eligible this year
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I see Jake is ranked so I must be wrong, I didn't think the window to be drafted was 3 years....birthday of March 9th 1994...anyone know the rule for draft status with respect to age?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

From Wikipedia:

"All players who will be 18 years old on or before September 15 and not older than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year are eligible for selection for that year's NHL Entry Draft. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible.[10] In other words, all players between 17 years and 9.5 months old and 20 years and 6 months old are eligible for the NHL Entry Draft"
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

Neal Pionk from Hermantown is also listed at 91.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

keepyourheadup wrote:I see Jake is ranked so I must be wrong, I didn't think the window to be drafted was 3 years....birthday of March 9th 1994...anyone know the rule for draft status with respect to age?
3 years to be drafted, so anybody passed up in 2012 & 2013 can get drafted this year. Anybody passed up this year can still get drafted in 2015 & 2016.

Basically, you can't sign a free-agent contract until you've aged out of juniors (with exceptions).
green4

Post by green4 »

Bonin2121 wrote:How are you a projected first rounder at 32 of just the NA skaters?

You're right. I seemed to get a little carried away with that! I was in a bit of a hurry and Forgot about the European skaters and not to mention only 30 teams :oops:
green4

Post by green4 »

I had to hurry off somewhere before I could have expressed my thoughts on the matter so here I go

My guess is Fidler cracked the rankings based off his nice first half performance. He is leading the hornets in points at 26 (12-14) through 16 games.

Malmquist I expected to be a little higher but he has not played amazing this year and he probably gets dropped a little for being younger than most of these guys.

Iverson I thought would be in the top 40 at least from what he was projected to do back when he left since he always had the size to play. I don't really follow those Junior hockey leagues in Canada so I did not know if he was doing well or not but I expected him to be higher and I have no doubt he would at least be at that spot if not higher if he stuck around.

Jack walker is another guy that would be one of the younger guys if he was in this ranking. He would be a junior in high school if he had stayed at Edina.
Him not making this list is probably the biggest surprise to me.
When he was a Freshman at Edina so was Malmquist and most people praised Malmquist for his offensive ability but I always though Walker was the better of the two and honestly I thought he was the best defender on that team for that year. I still remember in the 1st round of state that year when Benilde scored with about 30 seconds left to take the 3-2 lead edina then won the draw and it was Walker who set up the offense and fired the shot off the pipe that would have tied it. He played the powerplay that game and had a goal and an assist. But as I have said before I don't follow Juniors much so I don't know much about him at this point.
green4

Post by green4 »

A complete list of the Minnesotans.

Skaters

27) Jack Glover (USA U-18)
29) Jack Dougherty (USA U-18)
32) Ryan Collins (USA U-18)
61) Luc Snuggerud (Eden Prairie)
64) Keegan Iverson (Portland/WHL)
67) Mitch Slattery (Hill-Murray)
70) Steven Spinner (Eden Prairie)
72) Austin Poganski (Tri-City/USHL)
81) Shane Gersich (USA U-18)
91) Neal Pionk (Sioux City/USHL)
92) Karson Kuhlman (Dubuque/USHL)
97) Nick Wolff (Eagan)
150) Tyler Sheehy (Waterloo/USHL)
151) Jack Ramsey (Penticton/BCHL)
162) Chase Phelps (Shattuck-St. Mary's)
168) Tyler Nanne (Edina)
180) Miguel Fidler (Edina)
197) Jacob Randolph (Omaha/USHL)
199) Dylan Malmquist (Edina)
202) Parker Reno (RPI/ECAC)
206) Hunter Warner (Fargo/USHL)
207) Blake Hillman (Dubuque/USHL)\

Goalies
  • 4) Thomas (Chase) Perry (Wenatchee/NAHL)
    32) Hunter Miska (Penticton/BCHL)
Last edited by green4 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

green4 wrote:A complete list of the Minnesotans.
Goalies
  • 4) Thomas (Chase) Perry (Wenatchee/NAHL)
Hunter Miska too.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

No Yon or Strand ?
bafata88

Post by bafata88 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:

Probably would have ranked higher if he had stayed in high school. Hasn't really found his niche at Portland.
It is impossible to say what staying in high school would have done for any of the guys who left for the WHL. Iverson, not found his niche. What are you talking about. He is solid third line guy on one of the best teams in the WHL which is loaded with future pro hockey players. He is skating on a line with two other guys on this list. And the list, what does it mean? It is just a snapshot of these players at midseason. What matters is where they get drafted. But even then getting drafted does not guarantee NHL success. It means you get an opportunity. Or a series of opportunities. Iverson will be in Portland two more years. He will get drafted. And then let's see where he is three years from now.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

bafata88 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote: Looks like Keegan Iverson is 64... Played at Breck before Portland.
It is impossible to say what staying in high school would have done for any of the guys who left for the WHL. Iverson, not found his niche. What are you talking about. He is solid third line guy on one of the best teams in the WHL which is loaded with future pro hockey players. He is skating on a line with two other guys on this list. And the list, what does it mean? It is just a snapshot of these players at midseason. What matters is where they get drafted. But even then getting drafted does not guarantee NHL success. It means you get an opportunity. Or a series of opportunities. Iverson will be in Portland two more years. He will get drafted. And then let's see where he is three years from now.
Getting drafted does not even guarantee an NHL opportunity.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

bafata88 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Just my opinion, but think that he would have been more of a "main guy" role at Breck and that develops "star" potential. Did he develop much last year when he mostly sat on the bench? Breck probably practiced just as much and he would have been on the ice a ton. Don't forget it was just a few years ago that Minnesota High School had three first round draft choices in one year.

Third liner? \:D/