Elk River

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:54 pm

At least Blake Hillman of ER let it be known early that he was leaving. Zerbans future options would have still been there a month from now. I respect Avery Peterson all the more for sticking with the kids he grew up with for his senior year at GR. Gordy Roberts was doing what he thought was best for the team and it was clearly working.

sanryam

Post by sanryam » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Berglove is going to have to be solid from now on out

The top line is certainly capable of making up the 1 goal/game they will lose from Zerban, they'll just have to work harder.

Since Zerban was strictly a points guy, at least 2nd line won't miss out on defense.

Guys with potential need to step up, specifically Ben Johnson and Grant Bunker

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:34 pm

wolfman wrote:Prosser did the same thing and it worked out for him. Best of luck kid. Hope it works out for you. I would have stayed and played with my buds though. Going to be sad later in life when ER wins the tourney!
Bet it would have worked out just fine for him, if he'd finished the season too.

Even more inexcusable in his case, as he was the captain.

Staying another month with your hs team isn't going to stop anyone, anytime, from doing anything different in the future, good or bad.

Me, me, me.

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:42 pm

Prosser was the captain too I believe. There was an article in the Star Trib today about Prosser and making it to the NHL. I'm not saying it is the right thing to leave your teammates midseason just putting this article out there. http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/241226781.html

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 am

CB00 wrote:It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. They have a son in 9th grade who is one of the top players on the top ranked AA Bantam team in ER. Will he also make a move? Not that I think it's right but Gordie may hold this move against the young man. Wonder if the family thought through the total impact. I find it difficult to understand at this point in the season.
I'd be willing to bet the family thought it through. Isn't that what families do? Families make decisions every day. This one is just high profile. Has anyone even thought for a minute that maybe they have good reasons for the move??????

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:18 am

I was taught to finish what you start. If he wanted to leave, he should have left before the season.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:44 am

Has anyone even thought for a minute that maybe they have good reasons for the move?
No. I agree with mulefarm.

Captain? Not really. A captain stays and finishes the season at zero expense to his future. He's supposed to be the leader of the team. HS coaches often depend a lot on their captains to lead the boys, in a positive way. Now he's tainted. I'd say his talent is suspect too or he'd have carried a heavier load for ER and loved it. Extremely selfish. Not a player I want on my team.

chief22

Post by chief22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 am

I'd be willing to bet the family thought it through. Isn't that what families do? Families make decisions every day. This one is just high profile. Has anyone even thought for a minute that maybe they have good reasons for the move??????

Yeah, a good reason if you think not playing on the line you want to. And the coach holding you responsible to play in both ends are good reasons. I don't think Fargo will let him do the lineup card either. wish him well, but i have a feeling he will have problems there also and the next team he plays for half way thru next yr.

The Insider

Post by The Insider » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:21 am

Dont really understand this move. He couldnt wait a month? And obviously, its no coincidence he leaves right after HDM. Not quite sure what this does to Section 7AA. But Elk is a worse team now.

offtheglas

Post by offtheglas » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:21 am

The kid has some very good skills. Players make decisions and this is the right one for him at this time. I wish him luck!

The Insider

Post by The Insider » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:37 am

Dont really understand this move. He couldnt wait a month? And obviously, its no coincidence he leaves right after HDM. Not quite sure what this does to Section 7AA. But Elk is a worse team now.

Eagle86

Post by Eagle86 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 am

What a shame for the rest of his teammates and coaching staff to leave them hanging so late in the season. Past Fire and Blades feedback I have gotten the kid has a ton of talent but zero heart for the defensive part of the game. Looks like a really selfish move to me.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:16 am

It is safe to say this is completely a decision pushed ahead by a father that was not happy with where Roberts was playing him. Welcome to HS hockey Gordy, it is amazing that we can even find coaches to coach kids at this level. Many great kids and parents in ER that are left hanging by the decision.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 am

alcloseshaver wrote:It is safe to say this is completely a decision pushed ahead by a father that was not happy with where Roberts was playing him. Welcome to HS hockey Gordy, it is amazing that we can even find coaches to coach kids at this level. Many great kids and parents in ER that are left hanging by the decision.
Nice job dad :roll:

Get a life, so you can let your kid live his own, instead of yours.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:41 am

puckbreath, you're funny.

Is there anything inaccurate in alcloseshaver's post? Your earlier comments suggested you weren't in favor of the move.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 am

observer wrote:puckbreath, you're funny.

Is there anything inaccurate in alcloseshaver's post? Your earlier comments suggested you weren't in favor of the move.
Your point ?

sanryam

Post by sanryam » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:07 am

The Elks will be fine. Everyone who knows this squad knew the Zerbans are a pain in the rear. They have plenty of young guys that are eager to prove themselves. Zerban was a "me" player and every Elk fan knew it. Let's get back to playing as a TEAM.

slyer

Post by slyer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 am

guess I didn't know he was captain, that makes it even worse they will be just fine without him like others have said one way player, all about me

sanryam

Post by sanryam » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:21 am

He wasn't a captain. Springy and Berglove are.

scout mn

Post by scout mn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 am

I don't like writing this about the kid as he is only a kid, but it has to be said. I have watched the kid hog the puck, take stupid penalties, not play defense since he was a freshman. He was the reason Sarsland was fired and all the turmoil the team went through last year..Can he skate and handle the puck..yes...but that will only get you so far with any team..He and all his drama was wearing with many of the players on the team. I wish him all the luck at the next level. He has a lot of growing up to do..a lot!. In my opinion on watching this team for as long as i have.. Elk river will be a better team without him especially when it comes the tougher games down the road leading into to the sections. He disappeared many times over the last 3 yrs against kids and teams that could skate with him and limit his space..and when you don't play defense and take stupid penalties you do not help your team. Elk river will be fine, lots of talent, lots of speed..the key will be the goalie as it always come down to good goalie play.

Traxler

Post by Traxler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:44 am

scout mn wrote:I don't like writing this about the kid as he is only a kid, but it has to be said. I have watched the kid hog the puck, take stupid penalties, not play defense since he was a freshman. He was the reason Sarsland was fired and all the turmoil the team went through last year..Can he skate and handle the puck..yes...but that will only get you so far with any team..He and all his drama was wearing with many of the players on the team. I wish him all the luck at the next level. He has a lot of growing up to do..a lot!. In my opinion on watching this team for as long as i have.. Elk river will be a better team without him especially when it comes the tougher games down the road leading into to the sections. He disappeared many times over the last 3 yrs against kids and teams that could skate with him and limit his space..and when you don't play defense and take stupid penalties you do not help your team. Elk river will be fine, lots of talent, lots of speed..the key will be the goalie as it always come down to good goalie play.
Are you predicting a state tourney berth?
Last edited by Traxler on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45 am

sanryam wrote:He wasn't a captain. Springy and Berglove are.
I ER had 4 captains, Berglove, Springman, Jaremko, and the departed.

scout mn

Post by scout mn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:12 pm

[
Are you predicting a state tourney berth?[/quote]

predicting? i really don't like to do that as hs kids are as stable as a one legged table. They do have as good a shot or better than any team in the section. IMO it will be east or er who moves on and i like er as i don't think this is east's year...just a bit down and off this year. The point i was making is the loss of a player like a him is not as big a deal to those who on the inside as it seems to everyone else on the outside.

bubblehockey27

Post by bubblehockey27 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Lots and lots of hate for a kid leaving to develop in the Junior ranks. I know you guys aren't big on Junior hockey/departures, I've been around long enough to pick up on that, but from a hockey development standpoint, this is 100% the right move. The USHL will prepare anyone more adequately than MSHSL. It's tough to develop in a league that provides you a maximum of 31 games, and is far less physical. I'd advise anyone looking to make the jump to the collegiate level to leave early if possible.
"Virtual high five to chest bump" (MP)

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 pm

bubblehockey27 wrote:Lots and lots of hate for a kid leaving to develop in the Junior ranks. I know you guys aren't big on Junior hockey/departures, I've been around long enough to pick up on that, but from a hockey development standpoint, this is 100% the right move. The USHL will prepare anyone more adequately than MSHSL. It's tough to develop in a league that provides you a maximum of 31 games, and is far less physical. I'd advise anyone looking to make the jump to the collegiate level to leave early if possible.
I don't think it is the leaving that has the hater's hating... It is the timing of when. If this happened at the beginning of the season, would fall into same category as many others that leave for greener pastures.