Elk River

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

alcloseshaver

Elk River

Post by alcloseshaver »

Word on the street is Andrew Zerban has bailed on his team and is heading to Fargo-USHL.
sticksave

Post by sticksave »

Yep Its sad but true. Kids found out today. Zerban never thought coach Roberts gave him a fair shake.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Notice he waited until after HDM to bolt.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I hope he's not expecting to get any special treatment in the USHL.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

MNHockeyFan wrote:I hope he's not expecting to get any special treatment in the USHL.
What's going to happen when he has to drop the gloves? Also a good chance to work on becoming a two-way player. Scouts that I talked to not real high on his game. Sure it was hard to leave a possible state championship team, good luck.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Yeah, gee, hate to wait a whole 'nuther month or so, after the season, to do it, eh ?
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

This is really gonna hurt the Elks' offense, no doubt
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

sticksave wrote:Yep Its sad but true. Kids found out today. Zerban never thought coach Roberts gave him a fair shake.
I'm guessing that he is leaving because he did get a "fair shake" and didn't like it.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

This makes me mad...... Just wait a month kid. You had a shot to help bring elk river to state for the first time in forever.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
RalphCox

Post by RalphCox »

Really don't understand this. Wait one month and enjoy representing your high school hockey team. Tons of kids would give anything to have the opportunity to play at the X
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Lots of kids would give anything to play at Amsoil Arena for their section tournament. I know one kid that left Alaska to play for Denfeld when he heard about the tournament. So strange for him to leave, there's only 3 weeks until the playoff bracket comes out.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

I heard he felt he didn't get a fair shake because Roberts moved him to to 2nd line. It was the right move for the TEAM. Plus, it allowed Zerban to pretty much own that line so I dont get it. This will now make the Blaine, Benilde and MG matchups much tougher, not to mention sections...Zerban best learn to play the forecheck, move the puck more, his one man show isnt going to work at these higher levels
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

I don't care that this may help the Elks' 7AA foes--it's just plain wrong.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
slyer

Post by slyer »

I'm starting to really dislike this leaving early crap, why wouldn't you stay and play with the friends you've played with your whole life. this doesn't surprise me at all, always been about himself not sure if he knows what team means. have fun
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

sticksave wrote:Yep Its sad but true. Kids found out today. Zerban never thought coach Roberts gave him a fair shake.
Wasn't he the kid involved in the altercation that led to Sarsland's departure?

This seems odd due to the timing. The Elks still have a great top line and a very good goalie, but this will hurt, given how tight the race is in 7AA.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

east hockey wrote:I don't care that this may help the Elks' 7AA foes--it's just plain wrong.

Lee
The whole hockey thing is messed up. Juniors should be about 18 - 20 year olds period. You DON'T have to go younger!!! I feel bad for the Elks players and staff for a top player to bail like this.
RRubberbeeskit

Re: Elk River

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

alcloseshaver wrote:Word on the street is Andrew Zerban has bailed on his team and is heading to Fargo-USHL.
It really is a great dissappointment to hear this young man has made a decision to leave a very nice E R team with a great shot at making it to St. Paul.
Heading to the frozen tundra in Fargo to a 5-24 Force team certainly is not what I would envision as a better place. Why not wait and play 10 games with the Force after the season. #-o
hockeymachine

Post by hockeymachine »

I feel bad for his teammates. Definately a "me" move by this kid.

How do his parents justify the quitting on his team? That is the lesson being instilled?

I guess each parent does so differently....

Who know, I wouldn"t be suprised if mom and dad also were thinking he "didn't get a fair shake"
AMERICAN

Post by AMERICAN »

The system is messed up. The USHL poaches minor children to make a buck by promising pie in the sky. Kids and parents buy into it because they want the fast track to D1. Self interest as displayed in this case by the USHL and the kid is sad. My guess is that the team will be just fine without a guy willing to bailout mid season . I bet the kid that was once riding the pine and now will have his big opportunity is just the team player this team needs to fill the shoes of the departing player. Good luck to both these kids and they continue on their journey!
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Jeez how can a player do something like this especially in the position his team is in...

The name on the front is more important than the one on the back!!

Unreal.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
CB00

Post by CB00 »

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. They have a son in 9th grade who is one of the top players on the top ranked AA Bantam team in ER. Will he also make a move? Not that I think it's right but Gordie may hold this move against the young man. Wonder if the family thought through the total impact. I find it difficult to understand at this point in the season.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

DubCHAGuy wrote:
Wasn't he the kid involved in the altercation that led to Sarsland's departure?

This seems odd due to the timing. The Elks still have a great top line and a very good goalie, but this will hurt, given how tight the race is in 7AA.
I don't think SARS appreciated his lack of discipline in taking retaliation penalties and that led to the coach' demise. ER for sure won't miss him on the defensive end. They will need to come up with at least one goal a game from someone else.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

ER is now my sentimental favorite team. 8) Good luck Elks - show 'em you can do it without him!
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Prosser did the same thing and it worked out for him. Best of luck kid. Hope it works out for you. I would have stayed and played with my buds though. Going to be sad later in life when ER wins the tourney!
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

alcloseshaver wrote:Notice he waited until after HDM to bolt.
Looks like Zerban was part of a goalie swap between Waterloo and Fargo. Waterloo tossed him in along with their goalie and the official transaction date was 1/17/14.

It still doesn't make sense. Fargo is THE WORST team in the USHL. Why would there be any pressure for him to bolt? Did they call him up and pressure him, tell him they are rebuilding and he best get out there to prove himself?

Or is it just a blatant snub to his coach, his team, his city, and his fans...? I'm leaning towards the latter. I hope the Elks can rebound from this. Really quite sad.