Warroad (15-2-1) @ Duluth Marshall (11-6-1) 1-24-14 7pm

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:23 am

Duluth Marshall
36%
Warroad
64%

Total votes: 22

HShockeywatcher

Warroad (15-2-1) @ Duluth Marshall (11-6-1) 1-24-14 7pm

Post by HShockeywatcher »

A Marshall team that has some really good wins recently hosts a Warroad team that hasn't lost their last 12 games. Should be a great game at MARS on Friday.
ted2you

Post by ted2you »

I like Warroad, but it should be an excellent game.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Warroad wins 5-2 with 2 empty-netters.

Fun game. Marshall might be the deepest team in Class A (or, at least, use the deepest lineup of anyone out there.) They had a comfortable edge in shots in this one. But, like all the Duluth schools this year, they lack any front-end finishers.

Still...while Warroad's top line gets all the recognition, I think they deserve a lot of credit for their defense. They have 4 pretty good defensemen, and their goalie played well also. This is a well-coached squad that knows its strengths and plays to them, and they withstood the Marshall pressure very well in this one. Their big guns were blanketed all night, but some of their less-heralded players came up big when they needed to. They aren't going to dominate the other top teams in Class A, but if they stick to their formula, they'll be tough to beat.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Is Marshall running four lines? How deep are we talking?

To keep that top line off the board until the empty net, must have taken a herculean effort.

Especially to roll over Warroad in terms of Shots on net.

This year is wide open!
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

The box score says the Bethune had a 5 minute major for contact to the head. Did anyone see if it was a bad penalty or just one of those unfortunate incidents that happen?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

warriors41 wrote:The box score says the Bethune had a 5 minute major for contact to the head. Did anyone see if it was a bad penalty or just one of those unfortunate incidents that happen?
I don't think it was intentional, but it was head contact. It was consistent with they way they call that nowadays.

Marshall scored both of their goals on that major penalty.

Marshall wasn't rolling 4 lines, but due to a misconduct penalty they were forced to play 3+, and they were playing 5-6 defensemen, too. Not much of a dropoff when the lower lines are on. Just not much in the way of top-end talent (yet, at least...some of the younger kids may get there someday).
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

karl(east) wrote:
warriors41 wrote:The box score says the Bethune had a 5 minute major for contact to the head. Did anyone see if it was a bad penalty or just one of those unfortunate incidents that happen?
I don't think it was intentional, but it was head contact. It was consistent with they way they call that nowadays.

Marshall wasn't rolling 4 lines, but due to a misconduct penalty they were forced to play 3+, and they were playing 5-6 defensemen, too. Not much of a dropoff when the lower lines are on. Just not much in the way of top-end talent (yet, at least...some of the younger kids may get there someday).
Marshall has definately been an egnima this year. Just don't know what team will show up an any given nightl
What is a Green Wave anyway?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

I don't believe Marshal's starting goalie played either...........anyone confirm ?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

puckbreath wrote:I don't believe Marshal's starting goalie played either...........anyone confirm ?
Correct, though the backup played very well. Goaltending wasn't their problem tonight.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

karl(east) wrote:
puckbreath wrote:I don't believe Marshal's starting goalie played either...........anyone confirm ?
Correct, though the backup played very well. Goaltending wasn't their problem tonight.
Thanks.
bemused

Post by bemused »

Had to laugh at the Flub story..both goalies and the hero of the game are all from somewhere else..
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

Saw the 5 min major call as it happened right in front of me was an intentional butt end to the head. Warroad should have had another 5 when their player left his feet to blindside check a DM player. They got a 2 min roughing for that. Not to mention that DM played without their top scorer for 12 min of the second period and lost another top F to that cheap blindside hit to the head. Result was a concussion. . They also played the whole game without another key Senior F due to disiplinary reasons. DM dominated play and their D shut down Warroad. Warroad goalie played great and Warroad got out of the building with a win. DM rolled 3 lines and even their 4th. To only allow 16 shots and shut down this top scoring line says a lot. All 3 lines played right with them and at times dominated. A lot of the play last night was in the Warroad end.
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

karl(east) wrote:

Marshall did roll four lines for much of the game.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

TheInsider wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

Marshall did roll four lines for much of the game.
I'm kind of surprised that a team would roll 4 lines in a big game like that. With as good of shape as these kids should be in, two lines is more than enough rest between shifts.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

Hockey North wrote:Saw the 5 min major call as it happened right in front of me was an intentional butt end to the head. Warroad should have had another 5 when their player left his feet to blindside check a DM player. They got a 2 min roughing for that. Not to mention that DM played without their top scorer for 12 min of the second period and lost another top F to that cheap blindside hit to the head. Result was a concussion. . They also played the whole game without another key Senior F due to disiplinary reasons. DM dominated play and their D shut down Warroad. Warroad goalie played great and Warroad got out of the building with a win. DM rolled 3 lines and even their 4th. To only allow 16 shots and shut down this top scoring line says a lot. All 3 lines played right with them and at times dominated. A lot of the play last night was in the Warroad end.
All I see is bitterness and excuses...

I doubt a player would intentionally attempt to "butt-end" a player while making a hit, seems a bit excessive.

The hit at center ice honestly could have gone either way in my opinion. I can see where it seemed like Nelson may have left his feet a bit, but it didn't help that the other player (much smaller as well) had his head completely down with the puck which always make hits such as these look worse than they appear.

Either way, this was a great game to watch, great pace and some pretty good chances throughout by both squads.
Deathblow

Post by Deathblow »

mn miracle man wrote:
The hit at center ice honestly could have gone either way in my opinion. I can see where it seemed like Nelson may have left his feet a bit, but it didn't help that the other player (much smaller as well) had his head completely down with the puck which always make hits such as these look worse than they appear.
For what it's worth, Nelson has a history of big, albeit questionable, hits in open ice...
One that knocked Logan Engelstad out of the section semi finals, and one on Nick Ranten, in the section finals...
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Froggy Richards wrote:I'm kind of surprised that a team would roll 4 lines in a big game like that. With as good of shape as these kids should be in, two lines is more than enough rest between shifts.
Well, when you play a team that's known for being very thin, it's not uncommon for coaches to try to win a war of attrition. Sure, two lines' worth of rest is probably enough, but if you can give everyone even more rest while the other team is riding that top line, you can be even more fresh near the end of the game.

If you have the players to do it (and don't have angry parents who will yell at you for not giving their top-end player more ice time), it's a sensible strategy. Just didn't work for Marshall.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

I guess Mn Miracle man was at the concession stand eating hotdogs.

Also, the league instated a new rule about hitting a defenseless player and typically hits like this draw 5 min major. He was looking back to catch a pass. He wasn't skating with his head down like you say. :roll:
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

Hockey North wrote:I guess Mn Miracle man was at the concession stand eating hotdogs.

Also, the league instated a new rule about hitting a defenseless player and typically hits like this draw 5 min major. He was looking back to catch a pass. He wasn't skating with his head down like you say. :roll:
Nope, no concession stand for this guy, watched the whole game. Funny you say he was defenseless looking back when he was hit like he was still waiting for the puck or something. The hit was made as the puck was going "through" his stick, hence head down trying to receive the pass, and Nelson had the hit timed well (albeit leaving his feet a bit). No worries though, the ref made up for the "non-call" with the "butt-end" major call instead.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

Well what you just described is a 5 min major. At least we agree on that. 8)

It wasn't a non-call as you say, they gave him a 2 min roughing, so there was nothing to make up for.

The other 5 min major was called (and deserved) and seen by everyone except you in the far end of the arena to the left of the DM bench. Cheap hit to the head. Kid came off the ice bleeding from the mouth.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

karl(east) wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:I'm kind of surprised that a team would roll 4 lines in a big game like that. With as good of shape as these kids should be in, two lines is more than enough rest between shifts.
Well, when you play a team that's known for being very thin, it's not uncommon for coaches to try to win a war of attrition. Sure, two lines' worth of rest is probably enough, but if you can give everyone even more rest while the other team is riding that top line, you can be even more fresh near the end of the game.

If you have the players to do it (and don't have angry parents who will yell at you for not giving their top-end player more ice time), it's a sensible strategy. Just didn't work for Marshall.
Coaches also do this, with later in the season in mind, with the mindset of getting such kids the experience now, that'll hopefully pay off later.

This is especially common with smaller programs.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

mn miracle man wrote:
Hockey North wrote:I guess Mn Miracle man was at the concession stand eating hotdogs.

Nope, no concession stand for this guy, watched the whole game. Funny you say he was defenseless looking back when he was hit like he was still waiting for the puck or something. The hit was made as the puck was going "through" his stick, hence head down trying to receive the pass, and Nelson had the hit timed well (albeit leaving his feet a bit). No worries though, the ref made up for the "non-call" with the "butt-end" major call instead.
Leaving the feet is about par for this kid's track record.

If ya can't skate, goon.
Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger »

Didn't see the games this weekend but can comment on the Nelson hits last year in the play offs. Neither were dirty or questionable, when you cut thru the middle of the ice with your head down you are asking for trouble. Had a number of TRF people even admit that it was a clean hit just unfortunate that he was injured.
upnorth11

Post by upnorth11 »

I think no one would disagree Englestad's head was down as he came in to shoot the puck - but I have seen the tape of the game -- Nelsons arms are up high and hit him and followed through at his head. He was knocked out before he even hit the ice. No other part of his body was hit by Nelson - just at the head. Dirty hit and known Nelson is known for it. Same thing in the EGF game in the finals.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Hockeylogger wrote:Didn't see the games this weekend but can comment on the Nelson hits last year in the play offs. Neither were dirty or questionable, when you cut thru the middle of the ice with your head down you are asking for trouble. Had a number of TRF people even admit that it was a clean hit just unfortunate that he was injured.
How does one get a severe concussion, without a hit to the head ?

(as said, he was out before he hit the ice)