Why not more games?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

HShockeywatcher wrote: Additionally, they don't conflict with other sports. Which is a big thing.
Conflicting with other sports and taking student-athletes away from their studies are big things.
Since mid-June to the end of July is a MSHSL-sanctioned contact period for all coaches in every sport, time conflicts can arise between high school coach-led summer hockey programs and the summer teams/programs run by other coaches from the same high school. For example, the football coach might want to take a big group out to South Dakota State for a week long team camp during the contact period, or the lacrosse coach might want to take his players Out East to play in a couple of tournaments. And summer hockey can potentially conflict with academics. For example, Eagan High holds a ten-day long "Summer Science Institute" trip every June that buses 40-50 kids up to Lake of the Woods for a science credit and an unplugged wilderness experience.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

First off, I'll say that I am a huge fan of HS hockey in MN and make the trek to St Paul every year. It is the greatest HS tourney in the country in my opinion with just the atmosphere alone. I also think MN high school hockey will be just fine without Lou Nanne and Don Lucia's kids. So a bunch of good kids decide to leave for leagues that are better than the MSHSL... I say big whoop. It still means a lot to win the tourney and always will. The USHL is a top tier league and anyone asked to play on a team there should seriously consider doing it. It develops you not only as a better hockey player(more games, more practice, way better coaching, better competition) but also as an adult(being on your own, structuring your days between hockey and whatever classes your taking to finish HS, living and learning on your own without mom and dad). I believe if you're a good player you should play junior hockey if given the chance.

More tourneys and jamborees will help a lot but I'm not sure that's realistic when you have teams like Roseau or EGF that are in very remote locations and not playing on Sundays is a killer. I also don't know who came up with the idea to extend periods to 17 min. Why not 20 like the rest of the hockey world. I don't see much changing with the way HS hockey is right now to keep kids here but I don't see it getting any worse(more kids leaving than already are).

Here are the ways to help kids stay in the MSHSL:
1. 20 minute periods(should happen)
2. Allow games on Sunday(will never happen)
3. 40 reg season games(will never happen)
4. More tournaments, not just Xmas(will never happen)

The bottom line is the USHL is a better league. The NAHL is pretty good but in my opinion it only makes sense to leave for USHL. The NA is a junior b league that calls itself junior a tier 2. So it's the JV teams of the USHL but still has better coaches with more hockey experience. The one thing about all junior leagues that I like is it's their way or the highway... just like in real life. No coddling kids and awarding participation medals. In juniors you are told the way it is and you learn more, in my opinion, about defeat and putting in the work to get better yourself and that there are no handouts in life and you're not entitled to squat... you have to prove it.

Those are my opinions on this. I will still continue to attend the state tourney each year because I enjoy watching the underdogs take out the Edinas and Hill Murrays, because of the atmosphere around St Paul that weekend, the history, catching up with old friends, seeing my old team make a run, rivalries, classic games and buying the program as I walk in. So I could really care less if they change anything because there are still great hockey players and great games at the tourney and just because some left for brighter things doesn't mean it's dying. Who's gonna win the tourney this year? Is it North's year? Will Edina repeat or even get past Burnsville in sections? Who's going to upset in the first round? Who the heck is coming out of section 7AA? How about 6AA? Could Moorhead get past Roseau and upset everyone and win their first state title after many runner ups? Which game will be the OT thriller we will all be talking about? It's still a great tourney and I can't wait for March.
dueling21

Post by dueling21 »

StanleyCup55 wrote:First off, I'll say that I am a huge fan of HS hockey in MN and make the trek to St Paul every year. It is the greatest HS tourney in the country in my opinion with just the atmosphere alone. I also think MN high school hockey will be just fine without Lou Nanne and Don Lucia's kids. So a bunch of good kids decide to leave for leagues that are better than the MSHSL... I say big whoop. It still means a lot to win the tourney and always will....
It's still a great tourney and I can't wait for March.
Hear, hear! My favorite (long) weekend of the entire year is the state hockey tournament weekend. Will always be so as long as communities across the state support their hockey programs, irregardless of who leaves early. It's the greatest show on ice.
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

My thoughts on this matter!

Tournaments, tournaments, TOURNAMENTS! In youth hockey I would play 4 to 5 a season! Hosting a tournament would be a great money maker for the school that hosts it and they are a heck of a lot of fun!

Pretty simple as far as time commitment goes.
8-team tourneys on Thursday-Friday-Saturday (3 games)
4-team tourneys on Friday-Saturday (2 games)

Teams could have a few of these a season and increase the amount of games without extending the season!

But what do I know?
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

SCBlueLiner wrote:That's why I proposed creating a whole new league and season. More practice time as well as more games.

As to why more games, obviuously the kids want them as they are choosing that model by heading to juniors instead of staying in HS.
That's not why kids go juniors.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

Is the question really if we have enough games at high school? Maybe the question should be do we have too many games at youth?

Don't get me wrong, I love games, the more the better for me.

That said, games (refs) and travel are the most expensive part of youth hockey. Would it really be that bad to play one game per weekend instead of two?

It seems strange that two common complaints are not enough games and hockey costs too much.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

bestpopcorn wrote:Is the question really if we have enough games at high school? Maybe the question should be do we have too many games at youth?

Don't get me wrong, I love games, the more the better for me.

That said, games (refs) and travel are the most expensive part of youth hockey. Would it really be that bad to play one game per weekend instead of two?

It seems strange that two common complaints are not enough games and hockey costs too much.
I understand the allure to play "a game" and all, but is more than we have now really needed?
The first game this year was on Thursday, November 21 and there's only 3 after today. That's 12 weeks and 3 days for 25 games. So, exactly 12 and a half weeks; assuming no days off 2:1 practice to game ratio. What is wrong with that?

From a dynamic of the game of hockey, are people suggesting that practice is not necessary?
I could maybe see a case being made for a longer season, but hockey does start the week after the first round of football and soccer state participants get a week off.
Without lengthening the season, what is wrong with a 2:1 practice to game ratio?

I checked the US-NTDP U-18 team, they have 30 weeks from their first game to their last and play 53 games. Considering they play on Sundays, that's a 3:1 non-game day to game day ratio. If you don't include Sundays (which doesn't make sense) it's 2.4:1.
I then checked a random USHL schedule and 31 and a half weeks and 62 games. Which is a 2.5:1 non-game day to game day ratio and 2:1 if you ignore Sundays.

Ignoring playoff games in all three situations, the MSHSL has a better game to practice ratio than both NDTP and USHL.
Just throwing stuff out there for discussion.