Lakeville North at Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Ya Got?

Lakeville North
71%
Duluth East
29%

Total votes: 42

Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

East played a good game and goalie was very good. Not LN's best game which is scary that they still win this one against a very good East team. This is a team that is VERY balanced and VERY well coached. They keep this going and I don't see anyone beating them.
eagle4life9

Post by eagle4life9 »

The impressive thing for me about North tonight was the fact that East tried, and was successful at being physical and beating the Panthers down a little bit. I wasn't sure if North would be able to play the lower scoring, grind it out style of play but they impressed me tonight. Never easy for any metro team to go to East and win.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

That was some of the best $6 entertainment I've seen this winter. It was a very even game until East ran out of gas midway through the third, and even then they hung in there, with Howg making some big saves and a few attempts at tips that just missed.

Whatever East does to prepare for the first few minutes of a game, they ought to scrap it. In 4 of their 6 losses, they've coughed up a goal on the 1st or 2nd shift, and it's happened in a few wins, too. When you go down early like that, you often need to expend a lot of effort just to get back on even terms, and that can prove costly late in the game--as was the case in this one. Other than that, a pretty decent effort from the Hounds. Beaulieu was a force, and Nathaniel Benson has really come a long way this year. That was probably the most contented you'll ever see Mike Randolph after a loss.

North deserves their #1 ranking. The Poehling line is fun to watch, and there are just no weaknesses to pick on. If someone's going to beat them, they probably need to play the way East did for most of this game. Beat them up and try to wear them down.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Am officially on Lakeville Norths bandwagon!! Beating the Hounds in Duluth is no easy task........ Now we'll see if the Panthers can get past Eagan and Prior Lake in their last 2 games heading into Sections.
danglingnsnipen15

Post by danglingnsnipen15 »

The thing that I like most about LN is that they are a very balanced team. Although they don't have any players that are head and shoulders above the rest, the Poehling line has to be one of the best in the state. Their 2nd and 3rd lines are solid as well. LN's greatest attributes are their depth/balance and their gritty style of play. Together these make them a very difficult team to beat.
chief22

Post by chief22 »

danglingnsnipen15 wrote:The thing that I like most about LN is that they are a very balanced team. Although they don't have any players that are head and shoulders above the rest, the Poehling line has to be one of the best in the state. Their 2nd and 3rd lines are solid as well. LN's greatest attributes are their depth/balance and their gritty style of play. Together these make them a very difficult team to beat.
So...you're saying it might not be a 2 & through for section 1 for the office pools this year? Usually that's an automatic...when you're filling out the pool anyway.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

chief22 wrote:
danglingnsnipen15 wrote:The thing that I like most about LN is that they are a very balanced team. Although they don't have any players that are head and shoulders above the rest, the Poehling line has to be one of the best in the state. Their 2nd and 3rd lines are solid as well. LN's greatest attributes are their depth/balance and their gritty style of play. Together these make them a very difficult team to beat.
So...you're saying it might not be a 2 & through for section 1 for the office pools this year? Usually that's an automatic...when you're filling out the pool anyway.
Wasn't the case in 2012 when Lakeville South knocked off the "favorite" DE in QF and ended up beating Moorhead in 3rd place game.....North will do damage this year as long as there are no hiccups in sections.
nahc

Post by nahc »

And I beleive in 2011, Lakeville North was the Consolation Champion.....
Skatesharpener

Post by Skatesharpener »

nahc wrote:Am officially on Lakeville Norths bandwagon!! Beating the Hounds in Duluth is no easy task........ Now we'll see if the Panthers can get past Eagan and Prior Lake in their last 2 games heading into Sections.
It was a GREAT game in a beautiful rink...I actually thought that there would be even more physical play (penalties) than there was, but both teams looked like they were trying to stay out of the box and play some great hockey - and that they did. Always love an OT win! DE's Goalie was amazing.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

I think he meant when making picks for the tourney this year people will be picking a section 1 team to actually win the first game. I don't ever recall a team from that section being a favorite. I'm definitely on Norths bandwagon this year and may pick them to win it all. They've had some surprising victories in St Paul but this year will be no surprise.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

nwhockey wrote:3 LN - 2 DE...one of the poehlings with game winner
Go to Vegas ASAP!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

StanleyCup55 wrote:I think he meant when making picks for the tourney this year people will be picking a section 1 team to actually win the first game. I don't ever recall a team from that section being a favorite. I'm definitely on Norths bandwagon this year and may pick them to win it all. They've had some surprising victories in St Paul but this year will be no surprise.
I understand that. Glad to see you are on the bandwagon. Have you even seen them play?
min-091

Post by min-091 »

[quote="nahc"]And I beleive in 2011, Lakeville North was the Consolation Champion....

NAHC "you BELIEVE in 2011, Lakeville North was Consolation Champion"??
Your son played for Lakeville North in 2011...
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Slammer wrote:East blows out Lakeville North 4-0.

Remember this.
I do remember this....how's that working out for you?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

min-091 wrote:
nahc wrote:And I beleive in 2011, Lakeville North was the Consolation Champion....

NAHC "you BELIEVE in 2011, Lakeville North was Consolation Champion"??
Your son played for Lakeville North in 2011...
Lol. What a beauty!
chief22

Post by chief22 »

Sats81 wrote:
chief22 wrote:
Wasn't the case in 2012 when Lakeville South knocked off the "favorite" DE in QF and ended up beating Moorhead in 3rd place game.....North will do damage this year as long as there are no hiccups in sections.
yeah...and the only one that got that right was the new girl in the office that said after she filled out the bracket - is this for basketball? I might just have to go 2 & through again though...just for tradition
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

I'm no hater, it's great to see LN at the top of the rankings, and they're clearly building momentum when it counts. Would be great to see them take a team of "unknowns" to the state 'ship. I look forward to seeing them play.

Still, I feel like their strength of schedule is not exactly Lake Conference. But I do acknowledge they've had some very big wins like a clutch team should.

Good luck to them, but to me their success mostly says that this year's state tourney is up for grabs among any of the top 15 teams. Every previous top-ranked team has shown lots of vulnerability. In past years, that's typically meant one team perennially rises to the top in March due to coaching, seasoning and effort -- Edina, much as I hate to say it.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Shinbone_News wrote:I'm no hater, it's great to see LN at the top of the rankings, and they're clearly building momentum when it counts. Would be great to see them take a team of "unknowns" to the state 'ship. I look forward to seeing them play.

Still, I feel like their strength of schedule is not exactly Lake Conference. But I do acknowledge they've had some very big wins like a clutch team should.

Good luck to them, but to me their success mostly says that this year's state tourney is up for grabs among any of the top 15 teams. Every previous top-ranked team has shown lots of vulnerability. In past years, that's typically meant one team perennially rises to the top in March due to coaching, seasoning and effort -- Edina, much as I hate to say it.
Not so sure I would call them "unknowns" as they have as many as 7 kids in my opinion who have very good potential to eventually play D1.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Let's not forget Wayzata. 6AA is a crap shoot but the team coming out of the section has some mo-jo going in. Wayzata has the tournament experience and style of play that can 'easily' win it all. I'd still take the cake eaters as the odds on favorite but the Trojans and Pioneers come off the list early followed by the new kids on the block.
nahc

Post by nahc »

SATS81 any kids leaving for Ann Arbor or Juniors within the next year? Thats quite a few kids who may be playing high level hockey in the next few years...
bemused

Post by bemused »

Sats81 wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:I'm no hater, it's great to see LN at the top of the rankings, and they're clearly building momentum when it counts. Would be great to see them take a team of "unknowns" to the state 'ship. I look forward to seeing them play.

Not so sure I would call them "unknowns" as they have as many as 7 kids in my opinion who have very good potential to eventually play D1.
Whoa..whoa..easy there big fella..
MegaMan

Post by MegaMan »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Let's not forget Wayzata. 6AA is a crap shoot but the team coming out of the section has some mo-jo going in. Wayzata has the tournament experience and style of play that can 'easily' win it all. I'd still take the cake eaters as the odds on favorite but the Trojans and Pioneers come off the list early followed by the new kids on the block.
I would love to see a Trojan/Panther matchup , pound for pound I think they match up very well. 3 deep lines, great goaltending, great coaching. The most dominant defense in the state against arguably one of the most explosive offenses. But of course, they have to get there first :lol:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

nahc wrote:SATS81 any kids leaving for Ann Arbor or Juniors within the next year? Thats quite a few kids who may be playing high level hockey in the next few years...
Not sure. Wouldn't be surprised.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

bemused wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Whoa..whoa..easy there big fella..
Mark this post bemused. We will revisit in a couple years. The number of kids who are currently playing or have committed to play D-1 between LN and LS who graduated between 2010-2013 is higher than that number and likely as high or higher than any other HS program in MN in that era...then if we count all the kids who played youth hockey in Lakeville and left to STA you have more than a 15 man roster....
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Sats81, 7 d1 players? Should win it all no problem then right, or are you just a self proclaimed sports genius?