Yon commits to UND

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

UpNorthMom

Yon commits to UND

Post by UpNorthMom »

Roseau Ram senior Zach Yon has committed to UND today, per his twitter account. Congrats!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Congrats to him.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Congrats!

(Another fine job by Crookston Youth Hockey. :lol: )
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

Congrats ! Great get for UND. The Gophers missed on this one.
bemused

Post by bemused »

Vapor wrote:Congrats ! Great get for UND. The Gophers missed on this one.
Have the Gophs just bailed on the top of the state?
You could see this kid coming from the time he won the state Pee-Wee tourney with Strand at Fogarty.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

bemused wrote:
You could see this kid coming from the time he won the state Pee-Wee tourney with Strand at Fogarty.
Well, considering their last Roseau player, Ness, didn't pan out so well, who knows.

Congrats to Yon.
five4fighting

Post by five4fighting »

Speaking of Strand...Any word on his status?
bemused

Post by bemused »

puckbreath wrote:
bemused wrote:
Well, considering their last Roseau player, Ness, didn't pan out so well, who knows.

Congrats to Yon.
I don't know about that. saw him in an Islander jersey this year..
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Corgrats ! Another Mn kid going to play collage hockey.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

bemused wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
bemused wrote: Have the Gophs just bailed on the top of the state?

Congrats to Yon.
I don't know about that. saw him in an Islander jersey this year..
True, but the posts were about the Gophers, not the Islanders.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

bemused wrote:Have the Gophs just bailed on the top of the state?
I don't know if he had a committable offer from Minnesota (he may or may not have), but I do know that he visited the U last February/March, walking campus with Guentzel.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Doc Holliday wrote:
I don't know if he had a committable offer from Minnesota (he may or may not have), but I do know that he visited the U last February/March, walking campus with Guentzel.
His dad played there if I'm not mistaken.

Wonder if he'll wear green :lol:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

puckbreath wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:
His dad played there if I'm not mistaken.

Wonder if he'll wear green :lol:
He did play at the U. Bill Yon.
hockeymachine

Post by hockeymachine »

Ness was solid gopher. wasnt some major flop as you're inferring
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

hockeymachine wrote:Ness was solid gopher. wasnt some major flop as you're inferring
I disagree.

He struggled the entire time he was there, and his defensive weakness was much more visible at the higher level.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

puckbreath wrote:
hockeymachine wrote:Ness was solid gopher. wasnt some major flop as you're inferring
I disagree.

He struggled the entire time he was there, and his defensive weakness was much more visible at the higher level.
To be fair, I seem to remember almost all of the Gophers D men struggling during Ness' time there. Guentzel wasn't brought back for no reason.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

warriors41 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
I disagree.

To be fair, I seem to remember almost all of the Gophers D men struggling during Ness' time there. Guentzel wasn't brought back for no reason.
Very true.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

IMO it seems the Gophers feel "Northern" Mn stops at St. Cloud. Yes they have a player from Grand Rapids, but they basically ignore the real North. Roseau doesn't get down to the high profile Holiday Tournaments so don't get the exposure they should. Roseau, Warroad , TRF & EGF all have D1 talent. Gophers, SCSU & Bemidji St. really missed on getting Yon. The kid is going to be a big time player for UND.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Vapor wrote:IMO it seems the Gophers feel "Northern" Mn stops at St. Cloud. Yes they have a player from Grand Rapids, but they basically ignore the real North. Roseau doesn't get down to the high profile Holiday Tournaments so don't get the exposure they should. Roseau, Warroad , TRF & EGF all have D1 talent. Gophers, SCSU & Bemidji St. really missed on getting Yon. The kid is going to be a big time player for UND.
They do have a lot of good forwards who figure to be coming back in Rau, Kloos, Fasching, Warning, Cammy, Boyd, etc. Plus they have Novak and Tarek Baker coming in. Not saying they shouldn't have gone after Yon harder, as I think they missed big time too. Think he would have been a much better option than Ramsey :shock:

But Nodak nabbed Gersich and Poganski too which are both major losses to the U in my opinion.
Inspector Cluseau

Post by Inspector Cluseau »

I hope everyone that reads this has had or will eventually have an experience that I have had with a group of kids whether be hockey or any other extracurricular activity.

I have been following this group of Roseau Ram seniors for many years. They have won a State Tournament as Pee Wees and the VFW Bantam State tournament. To me personally, they are a special group of kids and they will be missed. They've had their ups and downs but have always been a family. We have spent many nights on the road together in the past years. Great parents also! They are one big family!! I've had lots of great memories!!!

The memories of these kids are awesome and the icing on the cake is having Zach Yon become a Mr. Hockey candidate and commit to UND. Great kid.....straight A student (got this from his mom..sorry dad)haha, and a great team mate. I would like to say "Congratulations!!!" to great kid and family! To see this kids grow up to be young men is pretty cool.

Without the youth hockey board, the Roseau school and the local community support there would be no ingredients for the cake!

Good luck to all the seniors this year and also to all the Mr. Hockey candidates!! Memories are good!!

One more thing....Zach's grandpa and grandma own/operate the concession at Memorial Arena....with that said...and Zach being a senior....free turkey sandwiches on last home regular season game on Thursday night!!! hint hint ... Or a keg....root beer of course.
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

Inspector Cluseau wrote:I hope everyone that reads this has had or will eventually have an experience that I have had with a group of kids whether be hockey or any other extracurricular activity.

I have been following this group of Roseau Ram seniors for many years. They have won a State Tournament as Pee Wees and the VFW Bantam State tournament. To me personally, they are a special group of kids and they will be missed. They've had their ups and downs but have always been a family. We have spent many nights on the road together in the past years. Great parents also! They are one big family!! I've had lots of great memories!!!

The memories of these kids are awesome and the icing on the cake is having Zach Yon become a Mr. Hockey candidate and commit to UND. Great kid.....straight A student (got this from his mom..sorry dad)haha, and a great team mate. I would like to say "Congratulations!!!" to great kid and family! To see this kids grow up to be young men is pretty cool.

Without the youth hockey board, the Roseau school and the local community support there would be no ingredients for the cake!

Good luck to all the seniors this year and also to all the Mr. Hockey candidates!! Memories are good!!

One more thing....Zach's grandpa and grandma own/operate the concession at Memorial Arena....with that said...and Zach being a senior....free turkey sandwiches on last home regular season game on Thursday night!!! hint hint ... Or a keg....root beer of course.
The only thing that might be better than those turkey sandwiches are the home made cinnamon rolls that sometimes show up on those early morning tournament weekends!
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

supertacks wrote:
Inspector Cluseau wrote:I hope everyone that reads this has had or will eventually have an experience that I have had with a group of kids whether be hockey or any other extracurricular activity.

The only thing that might be better than those turkey sandwiches are the home made cinnamon rolls that sometimes show up on those early morning tournament weekends!
Roseau hosts the best youth tournaments, up north, no doubt !
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

puckbreath wrote:
I disagree.

He was a decent college hockey player but I think he would have had a much better Gopher career had he not accelerated out of his senior year of high school. Playing a year of Juniors would have helped too. He just wasn't physically mature enough and never got off on the right foot.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
I disagree.

He was a decent college hockey player but I think he would have had a much better Gopher career had he not accelerated out of his senior year of high school. Playing a year of Juniors would have helped too. He just wasn't physically mature enough and never got off on the right foot.
Exactly. He was already weak defensively in hs, where you can get away with it, with his offensive skills.

But once past hs, not so much.

He (like a lot of others) wasn't as strong offensively then, and his weak (relatively speaking) defensive skills became more apparent.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Anybody know where Cole Bjugson is going?