2014 Mr. Hockey Finalists

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will be Mr. Hockey - 2014?

Spencer Naas - Benilde-St. Margaret’s (F)
15%
Tyler Cline - Blaine (F)
4%
Phil Beaulieu - Duluth East (D)
2%
Nick Wolff - Eagan (D)
4%
Steven Spinner - Eden Prairie (F)
2%
Tyler Nanne - Edina (D)
5%
Avery Peterson - Grand Rapids (F)
31%
Mitch Slattery - Hill Murray (F)
14%
Zach Yon - Roseau (F)
23%

Total votes: 84

hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

When does the voting happen? If GR or EP makes it our of their section, I think Peterson, Snuggerud and Spinner will all have an arguement
Breckhockey99

Post by Breckhockey99 »

Glad to see that Sweet Lou voted for his grandson.

IMO, Nanne should not be a finalist.

If they need an Edina finalist, what about Fidler or Munson?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Breckhockey99 wrote:Glad to see that Sweet Lou voted for his grandson.

I agree.
green4

Post by green4 »

puckbreath wrote:
Breckhockey99 wrote:Glad to see that Sweet Lou voted for his grandson.

I agree.
Nanne is more talented than both of them. Fidler is probably having the best season of all three. Munson is good but not having as good of a year as either Fidler or Nanne in my opinion.
I think if more of you had watched Nanne play this year you woudn't have a problem with him being on this list.
Maybe Fidler deserved it more but I expected one of them to make it and I was not gonna claim one got robbed either way.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

AP puts up 4 big points en route to leading his team over one of the best in the state, Hermantown, 5-3! He was brilliant at creating scoring opportunities and setting up his linemates with 3 assists, his 1 goal was a nice tip on a slap shot from the blue line. Huge performance in a huge game.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
hocnut

2014 Mr. Hockey Finalists

Post by hocnut »

Yon has been awesome since he was a Squirt he will have a great career at UND, theyre lucky to have him. Caompared to Nelson and the rest warrior41 he is very comparable but faster than all 3 and his shot is as hard as I have seen in HS hockey for 20+ years. Great player and even better kid congrats to him and his parents all of this is very deserving!!!!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

warriors41 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Like my wife said,
"#18 in green is a thing of beauty to watch (playing hockey)."

He is and UND will be NCAA finalists until he leaves for the pros.
I haven't seen him play so I'll have to refer to your judgement but how would you compare him to some other MN kids who have gone on to UND lately? Nelson, Forbert, Ausmus, etc?
I think its kinda hard to compare him to Forbert or Ausmus since they are both d-men.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Sats81 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Like my wife said,
"#18 in green is a thing of beauty to watch (playing hockey)."

He is and UND will be NCAA finalists until he leaves for the pros.
I haven't seen him play so I'll have to refer to your judgement but how would you compare him to some other MN kids who have gone on to UND lately? Nelson, Forbert, Ausmus, etc?
I think its kinda hard to compare him to Forbert or Ausmus since they are both d-men.
Yeah, I realized how it might be tough but I included them only because I couldn't think of more MN forwards who had gone to UND lately. At least none that I had the chance to watch personally.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
warriors41 wrote: I haven't seen him play so I'll have to refer to your judgement but how would you compare him to some other MN kids who have gone on to UND lately? Nelson, Forbert, Ausmus, etc?
Yeah, I realized how it might be tough but I included them only because I couldn't think of more MN forwards who had gone to UND lately. At least none that I had the chance to watch personally.
Danny Kristo comes to mind. How would he compare?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

InYourFace09 wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Sats81 wrote: I think its kinda hard to compare him to Forbert or Ausmus since they are both d-men.
Kristo in my mind lacks the consistency and the work ethic needed to play in the show. His skillset is there but similar to how Jordan Schroeder was coming out of STA and the U, I believe he had/has an entitlement issue. Kristo is fast and has a nice stride and has a good, quick release.

Realize we are comparing a guy who is playing in the AHL to a HS kid(23-24 yr old to a 17-18 yr old) but my take on Yon is he is a highly skilled player with great hands and a wicked hard and accurate shot. He has been dominant throughout his youth and HS career and I only think that continues at Nodak. Hard to say now as a million different scenarios can happen but I think he will end up being a better college player than Kristo was (although Kristo was excellent at Nodak). Gophers missed big here.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Sats81 wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
warriors41 wrote: Yeah, I realized how it might be tough but I included them only because I couldn't think of more MN forwards who had gone to UND lately. At least none that I had the chance to watch personally.
Kristo in my mind lacks the consistency and the work ethic needed to play in the show. His skillset is there but similar to how Jordan Schroeder was coming out of STA and the U, I believe he had/has an entitlement issue. Kristo is fast and has a nice stride and has a good, quick release.

Realize we are comparing a guy who is playing in the AHL to a HS kid(23-24 yr old to a 17-18 yr old) but my take on Yon is he is a highly skilled player with great hands and a wicked hard and accurate shot. He has been dominant throughout his youth and HS career and I only think that continues at Nodak. Hard to say now as a million different scenarios can happen but I think he will end up being a better college player than Kristo was (although Kristo was excellent at Nodak). Gophers missed big here.
Agreed. Yon also has more maturity than Kristo had pretty much anytime at ND.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

puckbreath wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote: Danny Kristo comes to mind. How would he compare?

You mean "tippy toes Kristo"? :lol:
JSR

Post by JSR »

green4 wrote:
ZachHalverson wrote:
Sleepysteve wrote: Are underclassmen not eligible? I thought for sure Wahlin would at least by a finalist.
If Wahlin stayed for his senior year, I have no doubt in my mind that he would win Mr. Hockey.
I think if Tommy Novak stays around he might have something to say about that.

As for this year, it seems like it could go to a number of guys on this list.
I agreed with the post above about the problems the EP boys have had at winning big games so Im out on them. I don't see Nanne winning.
I put my vote down for Avery Peterson but I think Slattery will end up winning.
Doesn't Novak live in Wisconsin even though he plays for St Thomas? Or did they move, I know he used to live in Wisconsin and even played for team Wisconsin B&A as a freshman..... Either way, can a Wisconsin resident player win MN Mr. Hockey?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Sats81 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Kristo in my mind lacks the consistency and the work ethic needed to play in the show. His skillset is there but similar to how Jordan Schroeder was coming out of STA and the U, I believe he had/has an entitlement issue. Kristo is fast and has a nice stride and has a good, quick release.

You mean "tippy toes Kristo"? :lol:
Famous words that always get one in trouble;
"Hold my beer, watch this !"

:lol:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

JSR wrote:
green4 wrote:
ZachHalverson wrote: If Wahlin stayed for his senior year, I have no doubt in my mind that he would win Mr. Hockey.
I think if Tommy Novak stays around he might have something to say about that.

As for this year, it seems like it could go to a number of guys on this list.
I agreed with the post above about the problems the EP boys have had at winning big games so Im out on them. I don't see Nanne winning.
I put my vote down for Avery Peterson but I think Slattery will end up winning.
Doesn't Novak live in Wisconsin even though he plays for St Thomas? Or did they move, I know he used to live in Wisconsin and even played for team Wisconsin B&A as a freshman..... Either way, can a Wisconsin resident player win MN Mr. Hockey?
You can do anything when you are a Cadet! :twisted:
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

elliott70 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:Shake things up and give it to Wahlin. Yeah he's only a junior, but the kid has been tearing it up.

34 Goals
62 Points

And he's playing in AA in the Metro Area.....

You know what we say to these kind of comments....

If you cannot figure it out I will hint ya'.....
Two words, four letters followed by three letters, probably with an exclamation point.
Gotch ya.... :wink:

I knew adding that one line would get an arousal out of somebody. :P
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

Who votes/picks Mr. Hockey? Committee and/or individual votes?
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

if just potential and offense are the only factors being looked at Slattery is right up there, if being an overall player is the judgement bar to make, he doesn't stand a chance
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

pipersniper12 wrote:Who votes/picks Mr. Hockey? Committee and/or individual votes?
NHL, USHL scouts and D1 and DIII coaches.
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

Sats81 wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:Who votes/picks Mr. Hockey? Committee and/or individual votes?
I see the big man from Grand Rapids "AVERY PETERSON" winning Mr. Hockey this year. I definitely am a little biased, but he is a beast of all beasts at the high school level. He has SIZE, hands, leadership, speed, power, and the that little thing all elite players have that isn't taught "hockey instincts". I have seen a lot of high quality players go through the Grand Rapids program and I honestly believe Avery Peterson is the best forward Grand Rapids has ever put out. Not to metion he has a ton of upside at the next level(s). If he stays healthy and keeps developing each year, chances are he will be sporting a green and white jersey at the "X".
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

pipersniper12 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
I see the big man from Grand Rapids "AVERY PETERSON" winning Mr. Hockey this year. I definitely am a little biased, but he is a beast of all beasts at the high school level. He has SIZE, hands, leadership, speed, power, and the that little thing all elite players have that isn't taught "hockey instincts". I have seen a lot of high quality players go through the Grand Rapids program and I honestly believe Avery Peterson is the best forward Grand Rapids has ever put out. Not to metion he has a ton of upside at the next level(s). If he stays healthy and keeps developing each year, chances are he will be sporting a green and white jersey at the "X".
Not biased and I Agree. Hope he leads GR to a section 7AA championship.
B-Ville Hockey Guy

Post by B-Ville Hockey Guy »

pipersniper12 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WOW The Best Forward GR ever put out? Have you been to the rink and looked at the list of NHL's up on the wall? Hobey Baker winners? Avery is a great kid and a good player but I wouldn't go putting him up against the greatest ever from that town.. I would put my GR senior year points up against his and I wasn't very good :D
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

B-Ville Hockey Guy wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:
Sats81 wrote: NHL, USHL scouts and D1 and DIII coaches.
WOW The Best Forward GR ever put out? Have you been to the rink and looked at the list of NHL's up on the wall? Hobey Baker winners? Avery is a great kid and a good player but I wouldn't go putting him up against the greatest ever from that town.. I would put my GR senior year points up against his and I wasn't very good :D
What an incredible history of great players Rapids has had.

I agree with you Bvlle Hockey Guy. Has their been a MN Program who has produced more D1 talent? I would love to know the answer to that...

I do believe Aaron Miskovich is only Rapids player to win Mr Hockey...although if award was given away prior to 1985 I'm pretty certain that would be different....Bvlle Hockey Guy- in your opinion who is best to ever come out of Rapids? Probably hard to say, maybe a top 10 list?
B-Ville Hockey Guy

Post by B-Ville Hockey Guy »

Sats81 wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote: I see the big man from Grand Rapids "AVERY PETERSON" winning Mr. Hockey this year. I definitely am a little biased, but he is a beast of all beasts at the high school level. He has SIZE, hands, leadership, speed, power, and the that little thing all elite players have that isn't taught "hockey instincts". I have seen a lot of high quality players go through the Grand Rapids program and I honestly believe Avery Peterson is the best forward Grand Rapids has ever put out. Not to metion he has a ton of upside at the next level(s). If he stays healthy and keeps developing each year, chances are he will be sporting a green and white jersey at the "X".

I agree with you Bvlle Hockey Guy. Has their been a MN Program who has produced more D1 talent? I would love to know the answer to that...

I do believe Aaron Miskovich is only Rapids player to win Mr Hockey...although if award was given away prior to 1985 I'm pretty certain that would be different....Bvlle Hockey Guy- in your opinion who is best to ever come out of Rapids? Probably hard to say, maybe a top 10 list?
My top 10 High school players- Some never played Pro: I am a mid 80"s Grad so there is a little bias here
#1 Jim Jetland- best athelete to come out of that town- should have played baseball in college but was good at the u
#2 Bill Baker- nough said
#3 Gary Degrio- Fastest skater to come out of GR
#4 Chris Marinucci- Hobey Baker
#5 John Rothstein- took over games when I was about 12 years old.
#6 Tommy Madsen-
#7 Alex Galagoski
#8 Aaron Miskovich-lit up HS
#9 Patrick White also Lit up HS
#10 Jim Malwitz- HS stud and went on to big things at the U
#11 Bville hockey Guy- Just kidding I was marginal HS player
------------------------------------------------------------
left off the list Kellin, Rohloff's /Levasseur/Lempe/Bischoff/Averys Dad :o)/Jim, Tom,Bill Rothstein...Roth, Decenzo, Lucia, Neilson, Kleinendors brothers, bobby madsen,Jon Casey, Dan Clafton and his son, I am sure that there are about 20 more D1 that I am forgetting.... Fun place to grow up and I hope Avery wins the award!
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

Sats81 wrote:
B-Ville Hockey Guy wrote: WOW The Best Forward GR ever put out? Have you been to the rink and looked at the list of NHL's up on the wall? Hobey Baker winners? Avery is a great kid and a good player but I wouldn't go putting him up against the greatest ever from that town.. I would put my GR senior year points up against his and I wasn't very good :D

My top 10 High school players- Some never played Pro: I am a mid 80"s Grad so there is a little bias here
#1 Avery Peterson-HS STUD, Currently tied with Miskovich for most points as a Grand Rapids player (which he will most likey top that mark in the regular season finale) and the sky's the limit with this kid!!
#2 Jim Jetland- best athelete to come out of that town- should have played baseball in college but was good at the u
#3 Bill Baker- nough said
#4 Gary Degrio- Fastest skater to come out of GR
#5 Chris Marinucci- Hobey Baker
#6 John Rothstein- took over games when I was about 12 years old.
#7 Tommy Madsen-
#8 Alex Galagoski
#9 Aaron Miskovich-lit up HS
#10 Patrick White also Lit up HS
#11 Jim Malwitz- HS stud and went on to big things at the U
#12 Bville hockey Guy- Just kidding I was marginal HS player (I DON'T THINK SO TIM!) :lol: :shock: :lol: ------------------------------------------------------------
left off the list Kellin, Rohloff's /Levasseur/Lempe/Bischoff/Averys Dad :o)/Jim, Tom,Bill Rothstein...Roth, Decenzo, Lucia, Neilson, Kleinendors brothers, bobby madsen,Jon Casey, Dan Clafton and his son, I am sure that there are about 20 more D1 that I am forgetting.... Fun place to grow up and I hope Avery wins the award!
Think of this post in 10 years and then you can revise your ranking. :)
Hunt|Fish|Hockey