TJ Oshie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

DubCHAGuy wrote: I'm still curious, what is your criteria? How many years and at what age do they have to live here to be a Minnesotan? Do we get Jarred Tinordi (Born here when Mark was a North Star), Lindsey Vonn (Left to train as a teen), Mike Yeo's kid (started playing here at age 12 when Mike took over the Wild)?
Have to claim Lindsey Vonn...she would have gone nowhere were it not for the awesomeness that is Buck Hill. :wink:
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

DubCHAGuy wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
Looks like more than a few didn't read this article, eh BLS ?

"He considers Everett, Wash., where he was raised, his hometown."

oopsy............
Says one ESPN blogger. If it came from TJ, then Everett, WA it is! He usually lists Warroad, MN though.

I'm still curious, what is your criteria? How many years and at what age do they have to live here to be a Minnesotan? Do we get Jarred Tinordi (Born here when Mark was a North Star), Lindsey Vonn (Left to train as a teen), Mike Yeo's kid (started playing here at age 12 when Mike took over the Wild)?
Since you've asked this question to two people now, whom is it too ?
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

puckbreath wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote:
puckbreath wrote: Looks like more than a few didn't read this article, eh BLS ?

oopsy............
Says one ESPN blogger. If it came from TJ, then Everett, WA it is! He usually lists Warroad, MN though.

I'm still curious, what is your criteria? How many years and at what age do they have to live here to be a Minnesotan? Do we get Jarred Tinordi (Born here when Mark was a North Star), Lindsey Vonn (Left to train as a teen), Mike Yeo's kid (started playing here at age 12 when Mike took over the Wild)?
Anybody. This is an open forum.
People seem determined to "prove" that Oshie either is, or isn't a Minnesotan.

When I ask any ordinary person where they are from, they tell me where they call home. That's their hometown, end of story. I guess I would do the same for professional athletes, but some people seem to have a formula for determining this.

I don't care where TJ calls home, it just seems that he talks about Warroad a lot in interviews. I know his story and think its great seeing him and the other MN guys play in the Olympics.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

elliott70 wrote:Not rented.
Part of the community.

The coaching he got in Warroad brought him a long ways, but what he got was more than that. He learned about his relatives, his heritage, and what it meant to be part of a community and family.
Sound like the experience of a lot of private school kids.

We all grow up a lot from ages 14 to 18 and hopefully find out who we are.

I'm not criticizing elliot. I agree with him completely. Who are we to judge how anyone finds their home, their community, their heritage, their faith, etc. It's just that a lot of folks on this board think all private schools recruit and rent kids just for hockey. Not so for Oshie in Warroad and not so for hockey players at private schools.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

stpaul wrote:
Part of the community.

The coaching he got in Warroad brought him a long ways, but what he got was more than that. He learned about his relatives, his heritage, and what it meant to be part of a community and family.

I'm not criticizing elliot. I agree with him completely. Who are we to judge how anyone finds their home, their community, their heritage, their faith, etc. It's just that a lot of folks on this board think all private schools recruit and rent kids just for hockey. Not so for Oshie in Warroad and not so for hockey players at private schools.
Only STA.
The other privates are all fine with me.
green4

Post by green4 »

DubCHAGuy wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote: Says one ESPN blogger. If it came from TJ, then Everett, WA it is! He usually lists Warroad, MN though.

When I ask any ordinary person where they are from, they tell me where they call home. That's their hometown, end of story. I guess I would do the same for professional athletes, but some people seem to have a formula for determining this.

I don't care where TJ calls home, it just seems that he talks about Warroad a lot in interviews. I know his story and think its great seeing him and the other MN guys play in the Olympics.
I agree with you. Where somebody calls their hometown is what I would think is there hometown. According to the article TJ is from Washington, I don't think we can argue that he is from Warroad now based off what he believes is his hometown.
What we can do is be glad that we got to watch him play in high school and be excited that we have that connection with him.
Regardless of where he calls home he is a fun player to watch and I'm glad that he is representing the USA
hipcheck

just be glad....

Post by hipcheck »

I think we all should be thankful he is a USA citizen.

Thank goodness he was not born in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

puckbreath wrote:

oopsy............
Yes, lets let an ESPN "hockey" blogger be the one who decides where TJ is from. Last I checked, ESPN is probably the worse sports network when it comes to hockey and relevancy with their stories. As for the columnist, she writes for ESPN.com from Chicago and 90% of her stories are on the Bears and Bulls, hardly an "expert."

Not to mention, all of her "investigative" reporting is collected from old news stories and not interviews of her own, so who is to say that TJ calls Everett home, other than her just inferring this?

Hardly a tell-all article to base all of your facts off of...
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

elliott70 wrote:
stpaul wrote:
Part of the community.

Only STA.
The other privates are all fine with me.
Careful! Say anything STA and their folks will claim you're being homophobic..
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/who-tj- ... x=team-usa

It says otherwise in this article. I think it's also a little crazy to think someone who has lived in multiple places has to choose one to exclusively be there hometown. Truth is His experiences in WA, Warroad, or even Grand Forks all shaped him into the man he is today. He's obviously proud of the time he spent in warroad as he is in other places. Some people are acting like he lived there for 3 years, forgot about it and has never been back since.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

mn miracle man wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

oopsy............
Yes, lets let an ESPN "hockey" blogger be the one who decides where TJ is from. Last I checked, ESPN is probably the worse sports network when it comes to hockey and relevancy with their stories. As for the columnist, she writes for ESPN.com from Chicago and 90% of her stories are on the Bears and Bulls, hardly an "expert."

Not to mention, all of her "investigative" reporting is collected from old news stories and not interviews of her own, so who is to say that TJ calls Everett home, other than her just inferring this?

And a bunch of guys on an internet forum are better informed, eh ?

At least there's a link where it's said that he says he's from WA.

Lots of folks here speaking for him, when they say, he says he's from MN.

If he's said that, let's see a link proving it.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if there is some.

But let's see 'em.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

DubCHAGuy wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote: Says one ESPN blogger. If it came from TJ, then Everett, WA it is! He usually lists Warroad, MN though.

Myself, I call my hometown, the town I was born in.

And it's not the one I'm in now.

My experience is the opposite; if different, what people call their hometown, and what they currently call home are different things.

I know it's all the rage these days, to have everything a shade of gray, instead of black and white, right or wrong, on most any topic.

But that ain't me.

Not saying you or anyone else has to agree obviously.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

puckbreath wrote:
mn miracle man wrote:
puckbreath wrote: Looks like more than a few didn't read this article, eh BLS ?

oopsy............

But let's see 'em.
I just listed an article that says what your asking for.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

warriors41 wrote:http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/who-tj- ... x=team-usa

It says otherwise in this article. I think it's also a little crazy to think someone who has lived in multiple places has to choose one to exclusively be there hometown. Truth is His experiences in WA, Warroad, or even Grand Forks all shaped him into the man he is today. He's obviously proud of the time he spent in warroad as he is in other places. Some people are acting like he lived there for 3 years, forgot about it and has never been back since.
Thanks for the link warriors41. Well done.

You make some other good points too.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

warriors41 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
mn miracle man wrote: Yes, lets let an ESPN "hockey" blogger be the one who decides where TJ is from. Last I checked, ESPN is probably the worse sports network when it comes to hockey and relevancy with their stories. As for the columnist, she writes for ESPN.com from Chicago and 90% of her stories are on the Bears and Bulls, hardly an "expert."

But let's see 'em.
I just listed an article that says what your asking for.
Yeah, just saw that, thanks !