7AA Final: Elk River vs. Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who advances to state?

Duluth East
49%
Elk River
51%

Total votes: 72

sanryam

Post by sanryam » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:03 am

alcloseshaver wrote:Always next year for the Elks...
Not really. This was their shot. 8 seniors gone. Jaremko prob leaves for USHL. A couple promising D men is all they got (sophomore Kiersted and freshman Perbix) Losing Hillman and Zerban is the difference. Elks played a great game in enemy territory. The Bouten penalty was bs and we all saw it on replay, but it is what it is.

Here is to hopes of section 7 reform. No other section is so blatantly biased. Let's get it right.

tezer13

Post by tezer13 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:20 am

State Tournament Records since 1991

Duluth East..28-15 0.651
Moorhead.....23-18 0.561
Edina...........22-13 0.629
Hill-Murray...20-19 0.513

Jefferson is next with 16 wins and then a few teams with 10-12. That makes Randolph 26-14.

2 Titles and about 5+ teams that were legit contenders if not favorites,
1996 Spehar, Locker Srs.
1997 Undefeated until Championship
2001 Licari, Kolar Srs. - Cloquet snuffed us :(
2011 3 ot loss to Eden Prarie
2012 27-1 team that got snuffed by L'ville South probably one of his best.
2013 great team

He is pretty good I would say; only a replay and a few bounces away from a literal living legend :)

I know every team loses players to Juniors, but what could he have done with guys like:
Fairchild, Finnegan, Turnbull, Zach Fitzgerald, Flaherty, Valescano, Forbort
if they had stuck around.

tezer13

Post by tezer13 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:44 am

sanryam wrote:
Not really. This was their shot. 8 seniors gone. Jaremko prob leaves for USHL. A couple promising D men is all they got (sophomore Kiersted and freshman Perbix) Losing Hillman and Zerban is the difference. Elks played a great game in enemy territory. The Bouten penalty was bs and we all saw it on replay, but it is what it is.

Here is to hopes of section 7 reform. No other section is so blatantly biased. Let's get it right.
I try to stay out of these. I usually just like to throw out stats and stuff, but in what years did coming up here screw Elk River? I am looking at the scores and stats and I am not seeing anything.

Since 2006, when Elk River came back to the Section, East has played ER 5 times with tonight. East has won all of them, but this year aside I don't really see one year where ER has been the better team.

2012 East 4-2 Semis
...Pagestat had East #1 ER #18
2011 East 5-1 Semis
...Pagestat East #3 ER #22
2010 East 5-1 Finals
...East #12 ER #22
2009 East 4-1
...East #7 ER #20

Realistically, which year did you get screwed? And I just watched the replay of the game, I hope you get to, because the penalty looked like a 5 minute one to me.

So, maybe and I say maybe, you could say the drive cost you a goal this year, but I have been reading the posts and it sounds like many believe it is every year. I honestly don't see it; not in the scores, not in the rankings, not anywhere.

When you start bringing up teams that are ranked 15 spots higher than East and still lose, I will start buying it.

The other 4 losses were to Cloquet and GR, all in the semis.

Going back to, at least the 90's (Lee might know), Section 7 has been in Duluth and there is some history here. Like 7000+ fans sitting on steps, five deep along the glass to watch Cloquet v. East not once but twice. Players like Langenbrunner, Fitzgerald, Lockers, Patrick White, Tyler Olson, Guyer, Sertich, Spehar, Goligoski played here and won. Patrick White had no trouble taking East out (though it might have been Cloquet at least once) nor did Jamie once.

Cloquet has come here, even when it was the rink East played in all-year (with East being ranked far ahead of them) and knocked 'em off. Guyer and Sertich came all the way down from Greenway and won in Duluth.

ER has been back in the Section, what, 9 years. East didn't put you here, nor did you likely ask, but why should the section change its history to accommodate some perceived wrong ER feels - which I really just don't see.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:01 am

east hockey wrote:Yeah, he's going to coach White Bear Lake.

Seriously, while losing Beaulieu will be big, they have a ton of good players coming back next season. I think he'll be back for at least one more season.

Unless they win State this year.

Lee
East loses two other pretty damn good defensemen besides Beaulieu. Trapp, in particular, is so solid in his own end, very composed and sneaky fast. And Marinac does a nice job of staying in control with the loose cannon Lutzka as his partner.
sanryam wrote:Not really. This was their shot. 8 seniors gone. Jaremko prob leaves for USHL. A couple promising D men is all they got (sophomore Kiersted and freshman Perbix) Losing Hillman and Zerban is the difference. Elks played a great game in enemy territory. The Bouten penalty was bs and we all saw it on replay, but it is what it is.

Dude was lucky it wasn't a major penalty. How stupid to take a penalty in the offensive zone with the puck in deep behind the net. Far from a BS call.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:07 am

Watch out for East at state. They have already exceeded expectations, and have ZERO pressure on them. They can play with anyone.

Red and grey glasses are going on for the next week, here comes the bias :lol:
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:17 am

tezer13 wrote:
sanryam wrote:

I try to stay out of these. I usually just like to throw out stats and stuff, but in what years did coming up here screw Elk River? I am looking at the scores and stats and I am not seeing anything.

Since 2006, when Elk River came back to the Section, East has played ER 5 times with tonight. East has won all of them, but this year aside I don't really see one year where ER has been the better team.

2012 East 4-2 Semis
...Pagestat had East #1 ER #18
2011 East 5-1 Semis
...Pagestat East #3 ER #22
2010 East 5-1 Finals
...East #12 ER #22
2009 East 4-1
...East #7 ER #20

Realistically, which year did you get screwed? And I just watched the replay of the game, I hope you get to, because the penalty looked like a 5 minute one to me.

So, maybe and I say maybe, you could say the drive cost you a goal this year, but I have been reading the posts and it sounds like many believe it is every year. I honestly don't see it; not in the scores, not in the rankings, not anywhere.

When you start bringing up teams that are ranked 15 spots higher than East and still lose, I will start buying it.

The other 4 losses were to Cloquet and GR, all in the semis.

Going back to, at least the 90's (Lee might know), Section 7 has been in Duluth and there is some history here. Like 7000+ fans sitting on steps, five deep along the glass to watch Cloquet v. East not once but twice. Players like Langenbrunner, Fitzgerald, Lockers, Patrick White, Tyler Olson, Guyer, Sertich, Spehar, Goligoski played here and won. Patrick White had no trouble taking East out (though it might have been Cloquet at least once) nor did Jamie once.

Cloquet has come here, even when it was the rink East played in all-year (with East being ranked far ahead of them) and knocked 'em off. Guyer and Sertich came all the way down from Greenway and won in Duluth.

ER has been back in the Section, what, 9 years. East didn't put you here, nor did you likely ask, but why should the section change its history to accommodate some perceived wrong ER feels - which I really just don't see.
They won't change, TV money. Agree for the most part with everything you say. IT is ER perceiving injustice now, but would hear the same thing from the other southern schools if they ever get to the runner-up level of ER. There are definite advantages for East but the bottom line is ER just didn't get it done.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 am

sanryam wrote:

No reform coming, Elks will be fine. Realistically Berglove is the only one that will be hard to replace. The senior defenseman were average at best. Springman had a decent year and was good when he back checked hard. Jaremko is the wild card for next year, he stays and they are the section favorites.

Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:41 am

It sucks being the runner up, and getting used to being runner up can only be that much worse. However, to blame it on home ice year after year even before the game is played is almost stupid. They play the game on the ice, that's all that matters. As long as the ice isn't literally tilted in the favor of East then it comes down to who wins the battles and believe it or not there is a hockey game that goes on between the glass. The best team doesn't always win, but that's sports and it's true on any stage of any sport.
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.

blueblood

Elks

Post by blueblood » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:26 am

The "Elk"aholics are gonna be reminiscing about this season & game for years to come:

1) HD Minnesota granted to ER
2) Beat Edina in early season
3) Defeat Stillwater at the Pit on HDM
4) Top player defects to USHL one day after HDM
5) Berglove named finalist for Brimsek award
6) 2-1 lead over East in 7AA title game
7) East PPG late in game to force OT
8 ) East bad angle goal to win in OT

GR3343

Re: Elks

Post by GR3343 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:46 am

blueblood wrote:The "Elk"aholics are gonna be reminiscing about this season & game for years to come:

1) HD Minnesota granted to ER
2) Beat Edina in early season
3) Defeat Stillwater at the Pit on HDM
4) Top player defects to USHL one day after HDM
5) Berglove named finalist for Brimsek award
6) 2-1 lead over East in 7AA title game
7) East PPG late in game to force OT
8 ) East bad angle goal to win in OT
Throw in a missed offsides just prior to the gwg - dvr replay shows offsides East
Character is who you are when no one is watching

ERPWA Hockey

Post by ERPWA Hockey » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:47 am

Duluth 4 wrote:It sucks being the runner up, and getting used to being runner up can only be that much worse. However, to blame it on home ice year after year even before the game is played is almost stupid. They play the game on the ice, that's all that matters. As long as the ice isn't literally tilted in the favor of East then it comes down to who wins the battles and believe it or not there is a hockey game that goes on between the glass. The best team doesn't always win, but that's sports and it's true on any stage of any sport.
Anyone who comes on this thread and thinks DE doesn't have the advantage playing at Amsoil are idiots. The MSHL should be ashamed for allowing this to happen.

- DE practices and plays on this sheet periodically during the season.
- DE drives 15 minutes to the game, ER drives 2.5 hours to the game.
- DE fans are 10 to 1 due to the proximity.
- No other team in Minnesota plays section semis and final in their hometown.

MSHL step up with all your stupid rules and regulations but yet you still allow this to happen.

This section belongs in St.Cloud on neutral ice!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:47 am

Duluth 4 wrote:It sucks being the runner up, and getting used to being runner up can only be that much worse. However, to blame it on home ice year after year even before the game is played is almost stupid. They play the game on the ice, that's all that matters. As long as the ice isn't literally tilted in the favor of East then it comes down to who wins the battles and believe it or not there is a hockey game that goes on between the glass. The best team doesn't always win, but that's sports and it's true on any stage of any sport.
Very easy for an East fan to accept the home ice as really no big deal. We get that already!

Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:54 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Very easy for an East fan to accept the home ice as really no big deal. We get that already!
I'm not saying that there isn't an advantage, I have said there was for multiple posts already in this thread. However, ER wrote this game off to home ice before it even happened AND without a stupid penalty with 3:31 left by the Elks, they would be on their way to the X next week. You make it sound like home ice is the only reason East won and that ER was a far superior team. This isn't Lake Placid and no miracle happened here, or for the past 6 years.
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:01 am

ERPWA Hockey wrote:
Anyone who comes on this thread and thinks DE doesn't have the advantage playing at Amsoil are idiots. The MSHL should be ashamed for allowing this to happen.

MSHL step up with all your stupid rules and regulations but yet you still allow this to happen.

I just don't buy the home ice advantage stuff in HS Hockey. It's not like we're talking about going into Seattle and playing the Seahawks here. It's Frozen Water People! Not much science there. 2 parts Hydrogen, 1 part Oxygen. ICE is ICE. A 2 hour drive means NOTHING to High School kids. I assume they take a nice comfortable charter bus. They can get up and move around all they want on the trip. I would argue that East has the disadvantage. Elk River gets out early. The East kids have to sit in their desks for 6 hours at school. That is harder on their legs than moving around on a bus. And the Elks get to crank up Metallica on their iPhones and get pumped up for the game! The East kids are sitting there listening to their teachers talk about the Dawn of Western Civilization, Calculus, Geometry and Civics. The Elks had a huge advantage for this one. Hats off to East for overcoming it and still finding a way to win!

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:23 am

I was at the game...made the long drive from the TC to watch a very compelling match-up...and it did not disappoint. Ref's clearly were swallowing their whistles the entire game and let some obvious penalties go. Anyone who knows me knows I'm far from being a ER fan...they are a bitter rival of Anoka...but last night I found myself pulling for ER.

The 3rd period reminded me of a chess match, ER playing conservatively to protect their 1 goal lead and DE patiently waiting like a cat for ER to make the critical mistake. Tragically for ER, a kid got too amped up and shoved a DE player from behind near the end-boards, he went down in a heap and the refs had to call a 2 minute penalty.

And we all know the rest of the story (last night). Congrats to the Hounds, they found a way to win.

Make one thing perfectly clear though, the last thing ER wants to do, or Andover (or Anoka back in the day) is travel 2.5 hours to play a Section Final game. Playing at Amzoil is a home game for DE (and Cloquet too).

And the last thing anyone from Northern MN wants is a hated TC team representing Section 7AA. So the obvious solution (when things change in 2015-2016) is to re-align Section 7AA and 8AA to exclude all TC teams as follows:

Bemidji, Moorhead, St. Cloud Tech, Roseau, Brainerd, Cloquet, Grand Rapids and Duluth East in the NEW Section 7AA (8AA can now be a TC team Section) and play the 7AA semi-final's and Final at a true centrally located neutral site...historic HIBBING Arena.

Everyone's happy now...right? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Traxler

Post by Traxler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:25 am

Froggy Richards wrote:
ERPWA Hockey wrote:

I just don't buy the home ice advantage stuff in HS Hockey. It's not like we're talking about going into Seattle and playing the Seahawks here. It's Frozen Water People! Not much science there. 2 parts Hydrogen, 1 part Oxygen. ICE is ICE. A 2 hour drive means NOTHING to High School kids. I assume they take a nice comfortable charter bus. They can get up and move around all they want on the trip. I would argue that East has the disadvantage. Elk River gets out early. The East kids have to sit in their desks for 6 hours at school. That is harder on their legs than moving around on a bus. And the Elks get to crank up Metallica on their iPhones and get pumped up for the game! The East kids are sitting there listening to their teachers talk about the Dawn of Western Civilization, Calculus, Geometry and Civics. The Elks had a huge advantage for this one. Hats off to East for overcoming it and still finding a way to win!
Thanks a lot. This was a good laugh!!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:26 am

hockey59 wrote:I was at the game...made the long drive from the TC to watch a very compelling match-up...and it did not disappoint. Ref's clearly were swallowing their whistles the entire game and let some obvious penalties go. Anyone who knows me knows I'm far from being a ER fan...they are a bitter rival of Anoka...but last night I found myself pulling for ER.

The 3rd period reminded me of a chess match, ER playing conservatively to protect their 1 goal lead and DE patiently waiting like a cat for ER to make the critical mistake. Tragically for ER, a kid got too amped up and shoved a DE player from behind near the end-boards, he went down in a heap and the refs had to call a 2 minute penalty.

And we all know the rest of the story (last night). Congrats to the Hounds, they found a way to win.

Make one thing perfectly clear though, the last thing ER wants to do, or Andover (or Anoka back in the day) is travel 2.5 hours to play a Section Final game. Playing at Amzoil is a home game for DE (and Cloquet too).

And the last thing anyone from Northern MN wants is a hated TC team representing Section 7AA. So the obvious solution (when things change in 2015-2016) is to re-align Section 7AA and 8AA to exclude all TC teams as follows:

Bemidji, Moorhead, St. Cloud Tech, Roseau, Brainerd, Cloquet, Grand Rapids and Duluth East in the NEW Section 7AA (8AA can now be a TC team Section) and play the 7AA semi-final's and Final at a true centrally located neutral site...historic HIBBING Arena.

Why put a southern team in with the northern teams??

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:28 am

The advantage East has is that this whole "home ice" thing is in the Elks' heads. They've already decided it isn't fair and they can't win before the game has even started. And the more folks talk about how unfair it is--not only around here, but I'm sure around the hallways at Elk River High as well--the more it gets into the heads of the players, their friends, families, everyone.

We've see the same thing around here with Hermantown at the state tournament with St. Thomas. Can't beat 'em because they have an unfair advantage. Funny how last year's Class A state championship team was similar to last night: "disadvantaged" team dominates/builds a lead until the 3rd period when the "team with the advantage" takes over dominance and comes from behind to win. You have to wonder whether deep down in the minds of the Hawks a year ago and of the Elks last night they weren't hearing the voices of those saying, "you can't win because of xxx."

I think they call it a self-fulfilling prophesy in the business.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:29 am

elliott70 wrote:
hockey59 wrote:I was at the game...made the long drive from the TC to watch a very compelling match-up...and it did not disappoint. Ref's clearly were swallowing their whistles the entire game and let some obvious penalties go. Anyone who knows me knows I'm far from being a ER fan...they are a bitter rival of Anoka...but last night I found myself pulling for ER.

Why put a southern team in with the northern teams??

And the drive from St. Cloud, Moorhead, Roseau (and even Brainerd) to Hibbing . . . brutal.

sticksave

Post by sticksave » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:12 am

Duluthguy wrote:The advantage East has is that this whole "home ice" thing is in the Elks' heads. They've already decided it isn't fair and they can't win before the game has even started. And the more folks talk about how unfair it is--not only around here, but I'm sure around the hallways at Elk River High as well--the more it gets into the heads of the players, their friends, families, everyone.

We've see the same thing around here with Hermantown at the state tournament with St. Thomas. Can't beat 'em because they have an unfair advantage. Funny how last year's Class A state championship team was similar to last night: "disadvantaged" team dominates/builds a lead until the 3rd period when the "team with the advantage" takes over dominance and comes from behind to win. You have to wonder whether deep down in the minds of the Hawks a year ago and of the Elks last night they weren't hearing the voices of those saying, "you can't win because of xxx."

I'm pretty tired of the Duluth people POO POOing the home ice advantage thing. IT IS A FACT that home ice is an advantage for a team. To say that its all in the players heads is ignorant. Any one that would say its in their heads knows nothing about hockey! It was obvious at the beginning of the game ER did not have any type of a defeated attitude. Almost every team in every sport has a better home record then their traveling record. I was there. The replays on the big screen favored Duluth. The scoring Horn only went off when Duluth scored. Having your band their rabble rousing and playing your school song helps build your team attitude. The 2 1/2 hour bus ride does nothing to prepare a player. Eating a meal than getting on the bus again is not helpful. This is home ice advantage. If the table was turned you'd feel unhappy too. It is unfair and seeing how close this game was any advantage could've been, and probably was a game changer. Ya ya Elk River only had 1 shot in the third period. Where did DE get their motivation to take over? Yep there coach and yes probably the crowd all helped. The MSHSHL should be kicked right in the gonads for letting this definite advantage exist for so long. It's not just ER It's every team that has to go to the section finals and play DE suffer the same crap. Say What You Want. I was there, It's total crap, that anyone would think this is ok no matter what the tradition is or how much money is at stake.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 am

sticksave wrote:
Duluthguy wrote:The advantage East has is that this whole "home ice" thing is in the Elks' heads. They've already decided it isn't fair and they can't win before the game has even started. And the more folks talk about how unfair it is--not only around here, but I'm sure around the hallways at Elk River High as well--the more it gets into the heads of the players, their friends, families, everyone.

I'm pretty tired of the Duluth people POO POOing the home ice advantage thing. IT IS A FACT that home ice is an advantage for a team. To say that its all in the players heads is ignorant. Any one that would say its in their heads knows nothing about hockey! It was obvious at the beginning of the game ER did not have any type of a defeated attitude. Almost every team in every sport has a better home record then their traveling record. I was there. The replays on the big screen favored Duluth. The scoring Horn only went off when Duluth scored. Having your band their rabble rousing and playing your school song helps build your team attitude. The 2 1/2 hour bus ride does nothing to prepare a player. Eating a meal than getting on the bus again is not helpful. This is home ice advantage. If the table was turned you'd feel unhappy too. It is unfair and seeing how close this game was any advantage could've been, and probably was a game changer. Ya ya Elk River only had 1 shot in the third period. Where did DE get their motivation to take over? Yep there coach and yes probably the crowd all helped. The MSHSHL should be kicked right in the gonads for letting this definite advantage exist for so long. It's not just ER It's every team that has to go to the section finals and play DE suffer the same crap. Say What You Want. I was there, It's total crap, that anyone would think this is ok no matter what the tradition is or how much money is at stake.
Correct!

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:11 pm

sticksave wrote:

Correct!
On behalf of East fans, thanks for continuing to perpetuate the Elks' disadvantage.

Seriously...you make good points. My original post should have said, "a major advantage East has..." or "The biggest advantage East has..." rather than just imply this is the "only" advantage East has.

However, to turn a phrase from a sharp guy, "any one that would say it's not in their heads (for the reasons I described) knows nothing about human nature!

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Man, this thread is turning into comedic gold.

"That's gold, Jerry....gold!" --Kenny Bania.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:26 pm

I don't like how the state tournament is always held in the twin cities. It's such an unfair advantage to all the teams from the metro to be able to play in virtually their backyards. :-({|=
Of course, Elky fans probably would complain about East playing at the Xcel seeing as how they make it to state so often, its like a home game for them there \:D/

sticksave

Post by sticksave » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Duluthguy wrote:
sticksave wrote:

Correct!
On behalf of East fans, thanks for continuing to perpetuate the Elks' disadvantage.

Seriously...you make good points. My original post should have said, "a major advantage East has..." or "The biggest advantage East has..." rather than just imply this is the "only" advantage East has.

However, to turn a phrase from a sharp guy, "any one that would say it's not in their heads (for the reasons I described) knows nothing about human nature!
Its not just the Elk's Its everyone that gets to go to Amzoil and play DE. As Far as it being in their heads. They had confidence they could beat you when they got there. IT SHOWED in the first 2 periods. The atmosphere, the bus ride, those affect the players physically not just mentally. I'm not perpetuating anything. IT IS AN ADVANTAGE. Its not just in our heads or something we are making up. It is home ice for DE. Its not fair for any one no matter their mascot. It should come to an end and soon. In a game as close as last night it very well may have been a deciding factor. Once again the AHHH to bad for you attitude peeks through and like I have said several times before I wish the shoe was on the other foot. I'd love to see you drive to Schwan's arena or St.Cloud and lose that advantage for at least every other year. It would be fair or is that not a concept you understand up there.