7AA Final: Elk River vs. Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who advances to state?

Duluth East
49%
Elk River
51%

Total votes: 72

sanryam

Post by sanryam »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Slammer wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Isn't there a windchill advisory in Duluth every day? Haha. Play on!
Yes, but it hasn't been updated yet. Does say in the advisory that it will be upgraded to a warning for tomorrow. Windchills are expected to be -45 to -55.

It's supposed to get warmer as the day goes on, so I hope they wouldn't cancel if schools do get shut down.
Sticky wicket for the schools to send team and fans on the road in this day and age of litigation. Especially with the ER district in the news for various things the past few years. ie. Rogers student tweeting thing. Not sure anyone is considering closing school yet.
The Rogers case has absolutely NOTHING to do with ER Amsoil attendance.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

sanryam wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
Slammer wrote: Yes, but it hasn't been updated yet. Does say in the advisory that it will be upgraded to a warning for tomorrow. Windchills are expected to be -45 to -55.

It's supposed to get warmer as the day goes on, so I hope they wouldn't cancel if schools do get shut down.
Sticky wicket for the schools to send team and fans on the road in this day and age of litigation. Especially with the ER district in the news for various things the past few years. ie. Rogers student tweeting thing. Not sure anyone is considering closing school yet.
Obviously, point is that admin people are extra careful with all decisions.

The Rogers case has absolutely NOTHING to do with ER Amsoil attendance.
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

sanryam wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:Not sure why anyone would think that East would lose this game in a runaway? They haven't done that all year. The team defense is what keeps the Hounds close with anyone. East has only given up 4 or more goals 3 times this year, and have only lost by more than 2 goals twice this year. Elk River conversely has given up 4 or more goals 7 times I believe and has had more lopsided losses than East. As far as their forecheck goes, its one of the best around. They have as of late really hurt opposing defenses with their hustle and cause lots of bad turnovers and dumb defensive zone play from defenders, leading to goals. Either Berglove is more succeptible to giving up goals or Elk River's defense just doesn't do the job. They have given up about a dozen more goals than East while playing one game less than the Hounds and about even schedules. All the facts point to the Hounds in this one!
You point to "facts", yet conveniently leave out key ER positives.

For one, you refer to East giving up less goals while playing one more game than ER, but you neglected to mention that ER has more goals scored than DE (13, to be exact) even while playing one less game than DE.

Also, you wrongly accuse ER of having more lopsided losses than DE. Both teams had exactly 2 losses with a 3 goal deficit (highest deficit of either team)

You bash ER for "allowing more 4 goal games", but you didn't mention their offense tends to make up for it. Over the regular season, Elks averaged 4.25 GPG while East only 3.56.

I agree that it probably isn't fair to call this a runaway game, but let's not act like this is an obvious East victory by cherry picking the facts that fall in East's favor....

And no, it won't be aired on TV in ER as far as I know.
Those numbers for average goals per game look nice on paper, but Elk River did that by scoring 8&5 against Osseo. 14&6 against Robbinsdale Armstrong, and 6&4 against Champlin Park. That is roughly 40% of their season scoring in those 6 games. East averaged their goals playing tougher teams more consistently. Elk River's offense did for the most part win some games while allowing a bunch of goals, but they won't be able to do that to East. I don't think I conveniently left out Elk River positives, in fact, I didn't even mention the East positives like beating Eden Prairie (who Elk River lost to), and Wayzata, and Rapids twice, or Andover. Elk River beat Edina early, split with Blaine (who East lost to), split with Maple Grove (who East tied), they beat Centennial twice (who East lost to), and they split with Andover (who East beat) but they lost to Rapids (who East has beat handily twice now). I didn't cherry pick facts to support East. I left them out because it seemed too obvious to have to mention them all. I realize they still have to play the game, but if you look at the stats and facts from this year, East is the clear favorite based on the way they are playing now and their style of play. Not to mention how their offense has picked up immensly in the last 6-7 games.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Houndhockey wrote:
sanryam wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:Not sure why anyone would think that East would lose this game in a runaway? They haven't done that all year. The team defense is what keeps the Hounds close with anyone. East has only given up 4 or more goals 3 times this year, and have only lost by more than 2 goals twice this year. Elk River conversely has given up 4 or more goals 7 times I believe and has had more lopsided losses than East. As far as their forecheck goes, its one of the best around. They have as of late really hurt opposing defenses with their hustle and cause lots of bad turnovers and dumb defensive zone play from defenders, leading to goals. Either Berglove is more succeptible to giving up goals or Elk River's defense just doesn't do the job. They have given up about a dozen more goals than East while playing one game less than the Hounds and about even schedules. All the facts point to the Hounds in this one!

For one, you refer to East giving up less goals while playing one more game than ER, but you neglected to mention that ER has more goals scored than DE (13, to be exact) even while playing one less game than DE.

Also, you wrongly accuse ER of having more lopsided losses than DE. Both teams had exactly 2 losses with a 3 goal deficit (highest deficit of either team)

You bash ER for "allowing more 4 goal games", but you didn't mention their offense tends to make up for it. Over the regular season, Elks averaged 4.25 GPG while East only 3.56.

I agree that it probably isn't fair to call this a runaway game, but let's not act like this is an obvious East victory by cherry picking the facts that fall in East's favor....

Those numbers for average goals per game look nice on paper, but Elk River did that by scoring 8&5 against Osseo. 14&6 against Robbinsdale Armstrong, and 6&4 against Champlin Park. That is roughly 40% of their season scoring in those 6 games. East averaged their goals playing tougher teams more consistently. Elk River's offense did for the most part win some games while allowing a bunch of goals, but they won't be able to do that to East. I don't think I conveniently left out Elk River positives, in fact, I didn't even mention the East positives like beating Eden Prairie (who Elk River lost to), and Wayzata, and Rapids twice, or Andover. Elk River beat Edina early, split with Blaine (who East lost to), split with Maple Grove (who East tied), they beat Centennial twice (who East lost to), and they split with Andover (who East beat) but they lost to Rapids (who East has beat handily twice now). I didn't cherry pick facts to support East. I left them out because it seemed too obvious to have to mention them all. I realize they still have to play the game, but if you look at the stats and facts from this year, East is the clear favorite based on the way they are playing now and their style of play. Not to mention how their offense has picked up immensly in the last 6-7 games.
This A beat B and B beat C therefore A is better than C logic is worthless this time of year. Anything can happen when two somewhat even teams play. Ask White Bear Lake.
slyer

Post by slyer »

I would think elk river is the clear favorite they already beat Duluth east this year and according to page stat played a tougher schedule
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Houndhockey wrote:
sanryam wrote:

I agree East should be favored, doesn't mean they deserved the 1 seed though. Both teams have some hiccups on their seasons, East's may be bigger though. ER had to overcome a departure and adjust. The Randolph factor and partial home ice is big. It is up to the players and how they respond to the pressure. Two good teams, "that is why they play the games" These two teams have played all year to get to this point, hope they both play well.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:
sanryam wrote: You point to "facts", yet conveniently leave out key ER positives.

I agree East should be favored, doesn't mean they deserved the 1 seed though. Both teams have some hiccups on their seasons, East's may be bigger though. ER had to overcome a departure and adjust. The Randolph factor and partial home ice is big. It is up to the players and how they respond to the pressure. Two good teams, "that is why they play the games" These two teams have played all year to get to this point, hope they both play well.
I think it will go either way. One thing that concerns me about elk river though is, have they ever played in a game this big?

How are they going to respond to the atmosphere? There are still a lot of kids from last years tourney from east, so I think they have gotten over the nerves.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Slammer wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
Houndhockey wrote: Those numbers for average goals per game look nice on paper, but Elk River did that by scoring 8&5 against Osseo. 14&6 against Robbinsdale Armstrong, and 6&4 against Champlin Park. That is roughly 40% of their season scoring in those 6 games. East averaged their goals playing tougher teams more consistently. Elk River's offense did for the most part win some games while allowing a bunch of goals, but they won't be able to do that to East. I don't think I conveniently left out Elk River positives, in fact, I didn't even mention the East positives like beating Eden Prairie (who Elk River lost to), and Wayzata, and Rapids twice, or Andover. Elk River beat Edina early, split with Blaine (who East lost to), split with Maple Grove (who East tied), they beat Centennial twice (who East lost to), and they split with Andover (who East beat) but they lost to Rapids (who East has beat handily twice now). I didn't cherry pick facts to support East. I left them out because it seemed too obvious to have to mention them all. I realize they still have to play the game, but if you look at the stats and facts from this year, East is the clear favorite based on the way they are playing now and their style of play. Not to mention how their offense has picked up immensly in the last 6-7 games.
I think it will go either way. One thing that concerns me about elk river though is, have they ever played in a game this big?

How are they going to respond to the atmosphere? There are still a lot of kids from last years tourney from east, so I think they have gotten over the nerves.
Only thing close for this group is last year's semi-final loss to Rapids. Lot's of pressure on the goalie in this one and he did have the best game of his career last year against Rapids.
dizlutheastt218

Post by dizlutheastt218 »

home ice baby

east 4 other team 1
"lets play curling"
east side 218
sticksave

Post by sticksave »

One fact lost here is that these kids play in the off season too. ER's kids have played in many big games. Berglove has played in many championship games. He carried his Elite team to the championship. He was stellar against Shattuck St. Mary's. Those games were against the biggest names currently in HS hockey. As stated one of his best games was against Grand Rapids last year in the section semi finals. His performance against Andover in the last game was great. Springman, Lutz, Jaremko, have played in big games all over the Midwest and Canada. These are the leaders of the Elk River team. They will have no more jitters than DE. Both good teams. It will be a great game.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

I actually think going in as an underdog is to ERs advantage. If they get up early and quiet the home crowd it could go their way.
Could. Still pick East 4-2.
green4

Post by green4 »

Houndhockey wrote:
sanryam wrote:

Based on how there playing now...? Yeah it sure is easy to look good when the teams they have been playing have been subpar. There last 10 games I would say they have two solid wins against average teams (Forest Lake, Grand Rapids) They have a solid effort in a Loss (North) a few solid wins against below average teams (STMA, Tonka, Superior, Tartan and St. Francis) not a great win in overtime (lakeville South) and a loss to maybe an average team though a rival (Cloquet)
Elk River in there final 10 games is 7-3. Not great by any means but they also have played tougher competition as they have played Blaine, Maple Grove, Centennial and Andover twice.

In the end I do think East will win this game and go to state but for none of the reasons that you have provided for in this topic, and as for Duluth East being "Clear Favorites" I think your way off on that too, this game could go either way. I would describe a clear favorite more as Lakeville North Vs Farmington
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

sticksave wrote:One fact lost here is that these kids play in the off season too. ER's kids have played in many big games. Berglove has played in many championship games. He carried his Elite team to the championship. He was stellar against Shattuck St. Mary's. Those games were against the biggest names currently in HS hockey. As stated one of his best games was against Grand Rapids last year in the section semi finals. His performance against Andover in the last game was great. Springman, Lutz, Jaremko, have played in big games all over the Midwest and Canada. These are the leaders of the Elk River team. They will have no more jitters than DE. Both good teams. It will be a great game.
Most high end hockey players have played in big games, agreed. Those games are nowhere near the level of being a senior playing for your school, town, teammates, that is pressure. This could be the last game they ever play together. When your an underclassman you just don't have that sense of finality, there is always next year. Can't compare a standout game in the elite league to playing for a chance to play in the countries premier HS sporting event. It is the dream of every HS player and this is more pressure on them. I'm sure once the puck drops and they get going they will be at their best.
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

Based on how there playing now...? Yeah it sure is easy to look good when the teams they have been playing have been subpar. There last 10 games I would say they have two solid wins against average teams (Forest Lake, Grand Rapids) They have a solid effort in a Loss (North) a few solid wins against below average teams (STMA, Tonka, Superior, Tartan and St. Francis) not a great win in overtime (lakeville South) and a loss to maybe an average team though a rival (Cloquet)
Elk River in there final 10 games is 7-3. Not great by any means but they also have played tougher competition as they have played Blaine, Maple Grove, Centennial and Andover twice.

In the end I do think East will win this game and go to state but for none of the reasons that you have provided for in this topic, and as for Duluth East being "Clear Favorites" I think your way off on that too, this game could go either way. I would describe a clear favorite more as Lakeville North Vs Farmington[/quote]

11 goals for in two playoff games and only 2 goals against. ER survived the quarters and beat Andover 4-2. I like East's chances the way they are playing right now!
green4

Post by green4 »

Houndhockey wrote:Based on how there playing now...? Yeah it sure is easy to look good when the teams they have been playing have been subpar. There last 10 games I would say they have two solid wins against average teams (Forest Lake, Grand Rapids) They have a solid effort in a Loss (North) a few solid wins against below average teams (STMA, Tonka, Superior, Tartan and St. Francis) not a great win in overtime (lakeville South) and a loss to maybe an average team though a rival (Cloquet)

In the end I do think East will win this game and go to state but for none of the reasons that you have provided for in this topic, and as for Duluth East being "Clear Favorites" I think your way off on that too, this game could go either way. I would describe a clear favorite more as Lakeville North Vs Farmington
11 goals for in two playoff games and only 2 goals against. ER survived the quarters and beat Andover 4-2. I like East's chances the way they are playing right now![/quote]

If you want to get excited over 11 goals against one team that is just straight up bad and another that is pretty weak defensively besides a goalie (which some east fans were saying was overrated) than please get excited.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

green4 wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:Based on how there playing now...? Yeah it sure is easy to look good when the teams they have been playing have been subpar. There last 10 games I would say they have two solid wins against average teams (Forest Lake, Grand Rapids) They have a solid effort in a Loss (North) a few solid wins against below average teams (STMA, Tonka, Superior, Tartan and St. Francis) not a great win in overtime (lakeville South) and a loss to maybe an average team though a rival (Cloquet)

11 goals for in two playoff games and only 2 goals against. ER survived the quarters and beat Andover 4-2. I like East's chances the way they are playing right now!
If you want to get excited over 11 goals against one team that is just straight up bad and another that is pretty weak defensively besides a goalie (which some east fans were saying was overrated) than please get excited.[/quote]

That pretty weak defensive team took your hornets to OT..... :lol:
green4

Post by green4 »

Slammer wrote:
green4 wrote:

If you want to get excited over 11 goals against one team that is just straight up bad and another that is pretty weak defensively besides a goalie (which some east fans were saying was overrated) than please get excited.
That pretty weak defensive team took your hornets to OT..... :lol:[/quote]

Yes they did. They also gave up 64 shots to the Hornets in that game... I think that just made my point stronger so thank you.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

green4 wrote:
Slammer wrote:
green4 wrote: 11 goals for in two playoff games and only 2 goals against. ER survived the quarters and beat Andover 4-2. I like East's chances the way they are playing right now!
That pretty weak defensive team took your hornets to OT..... :lol:
Yes they did. They also gave up 64 shots to the Hornets in that game... I think that just made my point stronger so thank you.[/quote]

I was just messing around!
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

alcloseshaver wrote:Most high end hockey players have played in big games, agreed. Those games are nowhere near the level of being a senior playing for your school, town, teammates, that is pressure. This could be the last game they ever play together. When your an underclassman you just don't have that sense of finality, there is always next year. Can't compare a standout game in the elite league to playing for a chance to play in the countries premier HS sporting event. It is the dream of every HS player and this is more pressure on them. I'm sure once the puck drops and they get going they will be at their best.
Well, great. When you put it that way, now they probably feel it. Now even I feel a sense of finality and Ray Finkle-like pressure.
tezer13

Post by tezer13 »

These two teams are as even as they get statistically.

SOS - East 18.92 v. ER 19.14
Statistically that is a dead heat no matter how you cut it. ER is 1.051 STDEV above the AVG and East is 1.039.

PageStat Rating looks even closer (don't feel like crunching those)

East 20-6-1 ER 20-6-0

ER won 3-2 on Dec 10th. East beat this team, ER beat that.

And good luck trying to get in the heads of teenagers. I hope it is a great game and I hope my team wins. No matter how you cut it both teams have been very good this year and should be proud, although I know the loser will not feel that way after. The emotion of High School Sports is what makes it so great.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I agree. Another Great year of 7AA hockey. The coolest section to be part of in the state. Good luck to both teams !!
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

Interested to see how the Hounds goal tending will be. It can be off and on.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

TheInsider wrote:Interested to see how the Hounds goal tending will be. It can be off and on.
I agree. I've only seen one of their games this year (Maple Grove) and Gunnar Howg made some amazing saves. In my opinion the game was a tie because of him. The goals scored were quality chances including one breakaway with an amazing move at the end to put the puck in the net.

I've also heard that he lets in some easy ones. I wonder if that has to do with the limited amount of shots he gets. East's defensive style seems to be designed to limit shots from opponents, so when there are less saves to make, maybe it's harder for the goalie to get into game mode.

I'm looking forward to watching this game. Should be a blast!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

old goalie85 wrote:I agree. Another Great year of 7AA hockey. The coolest section to be part of in the state. Good luck to both teams !!

No. 8AA is the coolest. We are always on the edge of our seats to se who it will be....
Moorhead or Roseau.....
it is getting boring.

Go River Lakes in 2015.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

I'm just to go with East in this one because of these two facts-

Mike Randolph- 15-1 in section finals

East has never lost a playoff game at Amsoil