4AA SEMIFINALS #3 STILLWATER VS #2 WHITE BEAR LAKE

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WHO WINS THE RUBBER MATCH?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

STILLWATER
30%
WHITE BEAR LAKE
70%

Total votes: 37

Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
stpaul wrote:
hockeymachine wrote:Looks like Jake Wahlin is going to go out the same way that Jake Hansen did.

Leaving after Jr. year to jump to juniors, all while being invisible in their last HS game.

At least Hansen jumped to USHL so he could play for the Maroon and Gold.

Why Wahlin is going to jump, all so he can play at big bad UMASS downright baffles me. Unless he is going to switch commitments, how UMASS has the pull to demand him playing in USHL next year is almost laughable. its UMASS!
The Hockey East Conference is not small potatoes. It 's pretty likely he would get pressure from any D1 coach to play in the USHL instead of high school. Maybe even for 2 years before coming to UMass. From looking at stats it appears that as talented and grown as Brandon is he is struggling to score at that level. It's a big jump from HS to the USHL and a big jump from there to Division 1 College Hockey.
It's strange; I was looking at Brandon's numbers from his freshman year, and was really surprised. Almost no points for a really bad Umass team. And he was a stud the two years he was in juniors. My guess is that Jake will take the same path and possibly play two years before heading east. Nothing to back this up, just pondering I guess.

Any WBL people have any factual insight? Seems like a lot of speculation at this point.
Realize Brandon's numbers in 2 years he played Jrs were in the NAHL. Def a difference in competition between there and the USHL.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:When dad found out the bottom line financially, they opted to attend WBL.

***GASP***

Are you saying that there aren't scholarships that pay the way of all the hockey players? Are we even talking about the same team here?!?!?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

hockeymachine wrote:It wasnt A game, it was many big games. This game, last year section final, and many other big games this year. He piled up points against the lower tier competition, but did not excel nearly as well against the top teams (with the exception of the HM game this year)

No one is saying he cannot move on. If that is what he wants, then he definately should be going.

I was just addressing 'meridian90' claims that there was outside pressure on him leaving, all while he wanted to graduate from WBL.

I'll never understand what go into each kid's individual decisions, so whatever the kid wants, I believe it should be their choice.

Hockey is not the entirety of HS life, and sometimes I think the USHL or bust type posters on here dont understand that. There is more to life than hockey, and he already has a D1 Scholly, he isnt NHL material, so what is the rush?
I agree. Shouldn't be a rush. Regardless he should and will likely play a year of Juniors before going to UMASS whether its going there next year or playing his Sr year of HS and going after. As someone already mentioned in this point the jump from HS to Jrs is big and the jump from Jrs to D1 is as well...
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Hindsight is 20/20. HM comes up with the scholar dollars next year no question. 8)
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

I'm sure Jerry Curl (his dad) also has a big say in him leaving too
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:I believe the knock was A big game. And the rest of his team didn't show up either. And if the likelihood of his team getting to the x next year is just as weak, why wouldn't he move on? (Please note I said move on, not move up.) You can't think of any reasons he'd want to play in a different program before college after 3 years in his current system? And you guys scream for development??? Or wait today maybe you are in the mood for screaming about staying with your community.
IMHO as long as he doesn't leave mid season, it could be the right decision for everyone.
Well if it's development he is looking for, he should hop on County Rd 120 and come to quaint city of Hill Murray. He can join Joey A and be one of the most powerful scoring lines in MN hockey history. Just come to the dark side :twisted:

Jake, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join HM, and we will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict between HM and WBL, and bring order to the East Side.
That shipped sailed a couple of years ago. Jake & his dad wanted to attend Hill. When dad found out the bottom line financially, they opted to attend WBL. Jake is a great kid & Lex would have loved to have him, but it just didn't work out. He'll be fine whatever he decides to do down the road.
If Hill really "recruited," wouldn't they have found a way to make it work for a special talent like Jake? Just sayin... :shock:
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

If Hill really "recruited," wouldn't they have found a way to make it work for a special talent like Jake? Just sayin... :shock:[/quote]

Waaaaaait a minute! If there's no slush fund for hockey scholarships, why am i asked to make my Annual Giving Fund contributions in cash every year?

I've seen what Lex drives, it can't all be going there.

I'm definitely cutting back this year. And I'm writing a check.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
stpaul wrote:
hockeymachine wrote:Looks like Jake Wahlin is going to go out the same way that Jake Hansen did.

Leaving after Jr. year to jump to juniors, all while being invisible in their last HS game.

At least Hansen jumped to USHL so he could play for the Maroon and Gold.

Why Wahlin is going to jump, all so he can play at big bad UMASS downright baffles me. Unless he is going to switch commitments, how UMASS has the pull to demand him playing in USHL next year is almost laughable. its UMASS!
The Hockey East Conference is not small potatoes. It 's pretty likely he would get pressure from any D1 coach to play in the USHL instead of high school. Maybe even for 2 years before coming to UMass. From looking at stats it appears that as talented and grown as Brandon is he is struggling to score at that level. It's a big jump from HS to the USHL and a big jump from there to Division 1 College Hockey.
It's strange; I was looking at Brandon's numbers from his freshman year, and was really surprised. Almost no points for a really bad Umass team. And he was a stud the two years he was in juniors. My guess is that Jake will take the same path and possibly play two years before heading east. Nothing to back this up, just pondering I guess.

Any WBL people have any factual insight? Seems like a lot of speculation at this point.
I believe Jake's honest goal from talking to him and others is to play as many years as possible WITH his brother at UMASS. Since they have never gotten to play on the same team, this is one of his goals.

I find it a pretty admirable goal, as a lot of people wouldn't even want to play for the same team as their brother and would want to "blaze their own trail".

Truth is, Jake was the real get for UMASS, Brandon is a great player, but he isn't Jake.

Personally, I think Jake will be as successful if he plays another year at WBL and leaves for a bit of Juniors after next HS season. Sort of like what Max Birkinbine and Brandon Wahlin did. I don't think leaving for the USHL after this year will enhance his ability to jump right to UMass after senior year, nor do I think staying will inhibit it.

He will be able to go their and play as a true freshman regardless.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

hockeymachine wrote:Alcloseshaver,

Yes, I did see Bonin play, but I was about 5 years old, so I couldnt truly appreciate how good he really was.

But post Bonin, I would put Wahlin over anyone else I have seen at WBL, for scoring ability.

Hambly was maybe the most dominant overall player I have seen play at WBL, but obviously he played D
Bonin
J.Wahlin
Hambly
J.Hansen

Those are probably the "mount rushmore" of WB hockey since 1990.

The last guy I would throw on there is Sean Roed, who was every bit as talented (maybe moreso) as Bonin or any of those players, but his "career" kind of took him 10 different ways.

Interesting enough, I believe that behind Bonin, the second leading scorer in WBL history is Jon Anderson, whose son Sam is a senior on the team this year. That was as of about 5 years ago though, I am not sure if Wahlin or Hansen eclipse either him or Bonin.
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

Jake Wahlin's career stats : 89 goals and 100 assists for 189 points in 81 career games according to the hub
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

bkrrrrr wrote:
hockeymachine wrote: Why Wahlin is going to jump, all so he can play at big bad UMASS downright baffles me. Unless he is going to switch commitments, how UMASS has the pull to demand him playing in USHL next year is almost laughable. its UMASS!
Amherst and Hampshire County is Heaven on Earth - lucky guy. Does Wahlin play any lacrosse?
Kid is going to a great school and wonderful location and should have a great experience. Some people need to get out the metro and see that there are nice alternative options for getting an education while playing a little puck.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

meridian90 wrote:
hockeymachine wrote:Alcloseshaver,

Yes, I did see Bonin play, but I was about 5 years old, so I couldnt truly appreciate how good he really was.

But post Bonin, I would put Wahlin over anyone else I have seen at WBL, for scoring ability.

Hambly was maybe the most dominant overall player I have seen play at WBL, but obviously he played D
Bonin
J.Wahlin
Hambly
J.Hansen

Those are probably the "mount rushmore" of WB hockey since 1990.

The last guy I would throw on there is Sean Roed, who was every bit as talented (maybe moreso) as Bonin or any of those players, but his "career" kind of took him 10 different ways.

Interesting enough, I believe that behind Bonin, the second leading scorer in WBL history is Jon Anderson, whose son Sam is a senior on the team this year. That was as of about 5 years ago though, I am not sure if Wahlin or Hansen eclipse either him or Bonin.
Couldn't agree with you more on Shawn Roed. One of the best youth hockey players I have ever seen. Had he not had academic problems at the U I truly believe he would have been one of best to play there in last 20 years. Unreal skill level.
The Gumper

Post by The Gumper »

Sats81 wrote: Couldn't agree with you more on Shawn Roed. One of the best youth hockey players I have ever seen. Had he not had academic problems at the U I truly believe he would have been one of best to play there in last 20 years. Unreal skill level.
Never heard of Roed, so I looked him up on hockeydb.com and WOW -- have stick and skates, will travel. After leaving the U in 2000, he spent the next seven years playing for 12 different teams, including two stints with the Jacksonville Barracudas.

He must have literally have lived out a suitcase during those years, trying to live out the dream that always eluded him.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

The Gumper wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Couldn't agree with you more on Shawn Roed. One of the best youth hockey players I have ever seen. Had he not had academic problems at the U I truly believe he would have been one of best to play there in last 20 years. Unreal skill level.
Never heard of Roed, so I looked him up on hockeydb.com and WOW -- have stick and skates, will travel. After leaving the U in 2000, he spent the next seven years playing for 12 different teams, including two stints with the Jacksonville Barracudas.

He must have literally have lived out a suitcase during those years, trying to live out the dream that always eluded him.
Yeah, had an older brother Peter (think was a 95 WBL grad) who was drafted by San Jose. Pretty certain he never played college though and tried going the WHL route.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

Peter Roed also spent 8 years in minor league hockey. He did have 2 full seasons in the AHL in 98-00.
hockeymachine

Post by hockeymachine »

Sats81, you are correct on Shawn Roed's older Brother Peter going the WHL route.

He was also a very good HS player at WBL.

If anyone remembers, Shawn Roed scored an Game Winner his freshman year to knock off a HEAVILY favored Hill Murray team in section game.
I still remember watching that game a few days after on local cable, and Anthony Lapanta calling the game going nuts after Roed scored the winner.

I think the Bears were well below .500 that season, but made a run to the state tourney, and got bounced as usual. Somone correct me if I am wrong, I was fairly young yet when this happened.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

Both brothers tormented the Pioneers. Peter had a hat trick in the 1995 Final - a 5-3 WBL win at Marriucci. Shawn had 2 goals including that OT winner in the 1996 Semifinal at the Coliseum - a huge 4-3 OT upset of #1 (22-1) HM by an under .500 (8-14-1) WBL team. HM had beaten WBL 7-0 and 6-2 earlier that year.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Yeah, Shawn was unreal in Pee Wees and 1 year he played of Bantams. He used to take slap shots from the red line and go bar down on poor kids! He played on the '81 Blades and was LIGHT years ahead in skill and development of kids like Jeff Taffe, Dan Welch, Troy Riddle, Dave Ianazzo, etc.