AA State Hockey Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
gitter wrote:Some random thoughts before the first ticket to State is punched today:

Edina has made the tournament 6 consecutive years now, looking for 7.

Hill Murray has made it 7 out of the last 8. Hill played Stillwater in the 2009 section final. It took them double overtime to win.

East has made it 5 consecutive years.

Moorhead and Roseau have represented Section 8 every year since 1990, with the exception of 1996, when Alexandria made it. And it will be one of them again this year.

First time since 2009 that Lakeville North and South are not playing for the 1AA Championship.

Since 2008 (major realignment/renumbering of metro sections), some combination of Blaine, Maple Grove, and Centennial have played for the Section 5AA Championship...except 2013 when Champlin Park upset Blaine in the semifinals.

Section 3AA (since 2008 realignment/renumbering) has been won by a new team each year, except when Eagan repeated in 2011-2012. Woodbury in '08, Cretin '09, Apple Valley '10, Eagan '11-12, Eastview '13. Maybe STA this year?

We all know there has not been a repeat winner in 6AA (since realignment in 2008) and will not be again this year, but the representative from 6AA has never lost the opening game of the AA State Tournament (Finishing 3rd '08, 1st '09, 2nd '10, 1st '11, 1st '12, 4th '13)

*Info found at Minnhock and H-M Hockey History
Can you say "Ground Hog Day".
No kidding!! All the reason I dumped my State Playoff tickets 5 years ago. Gone are the days of the Cinderella Story teams. Predictable and BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't much fall for Karl East waxing all philosophic about the dreams of State tournament glory when hockey has become such a limited version of have and have not success. Quite honestly "building the big pyramid" that Herb Brooks envisioned is non existent in the state of regulatory hockey. Cost, cost and more cost have reduced quality programs and the attrition rate will continue due to economics and lack of player numbers and an overzealous regulatory body that has no clue how to build numbers.
Well, I'll point out that my waxing columns are mostly about the emotions of the tourney that you see in kids and fans, no matter who wins or loses. Those things don't change, no matter the participants or the attendance or the number of future D-I or NHL players. Last year was really the exception to the norm with the lack of obvious upsets or great games...there were all the upsets in 09 and 12, some great OT affairs in 10 and 11...keep going back and it will be more of the same.

I'd also point out that there were historical periods when things were just as lopsided. Grand Rapids went 8 times in a row in the 70s and 80s, Roseau had a run of 10 straight around then, Edina has been Edina since the late 60s, Hill has always been Hill, teams like St. Paul Johnson and South St. Paul owned their respective sections for a while...there was probably a bit more variation in, say, the 80s, when there were 20 teams in each section, but otherwise, this isn't all that different from the old days. Cinderellas are by definition rare, though they do come along...especially in A, but also in AA. (Eastview last year? Lakeville South the year before? Apple Valley two years before that? Cloquet two years before that?)

The money/base of the pyramid concerns are certainly valid, but if that's your concern, isn't giving up on the State Tourney only going to accelerate the rush to something that'll do in the small programs? That's a bigger debate for a different time, maybe, but it's worth mentioning.

At any rate, when I go to the Tourney, I find it very easy to forget about all the bigger stuff and just have four days of fun. I will again this year, even if Elk River wins tonight.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Getting to be fairly predictable finals. The sport has out priced the blue collar communities. What is MN Hockey doing about it? not much of anything just piling on more regulatory crap year after year. "Growing" the sport is left to their glossy brochures. You hockey rubes would be wise to boycott MSHSL annual event en mass! 25 games is a complete joke!

State Finals – AA
Hill-Murray – Edina
Eden Prairie - Moorhead
Edina - Minnetonka
Eden Prairie - Duluth East
Benilde-St Margaret's - Hill-Murray
Edina - Hill-Murray

State Finals – A
St. Thomas Academy – Duluth Marshall
Breck - Warroad
Breck – Hermantown
St Thomas Academy – Hermantown
St Thomas Academy - Hermantown
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

karl(east) wrote:At any rate, when I go to the Tourney, I find it very easy to forget about all the bigger stuff and just have four days of fun. I will again this year, even if Elk River wins tonight.
Great attitude! I would encourage all those who support high school hockey in Minnesota to try and make it to at least one session, whether it be Class A or AA.

After all, it is the dream of most young hockey players growing up here to someday play in the tourney, and as they reach high school age some of the most talented end up foregoing other options to stay home, wit the chance to play in the tourney being a major draw. What I fear is that dream someday goes away for a majority of these kids. It's pretty obvious, I think, that lots of empty seats at the X would only encourage the trend.

We can all do our part to help prevent that by buying a ticket and becoming part of that special experience and what I think is one of those special Minnesota traditions.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Getting to be fairly predictable finals. The sport has out priced the blue collar communities. What is MN Hockey doing about it? not much of anything just piling on more regulatory crap year after year. "Growing" the sport is left to their glossy brochures. You hockey rubes would be wise to boycott MSHSL annual event en mass! 25 games is a complete joke!

State Finals – AA
Hill-Murray – Edina
Eden Prairie - Moorhead
Edina - Minnetonka
Edina - Hill-Murray

State Finals – A
Breck - Warroad
Breck – Hermantown
I agree with the class A 'lack of parity' argument, but simply because STA and Breck poisoned the well.

But I disagree in many respects to overall parity. The 40s were dominated by Eveleth. The 50s by St Paul Johnson, TFR, and Roseau. 60s by International Falls and Greenway. 70s by Edina and GR. 90s by Jefferson.

Every decade has had a handful of teams being the dominant force. Frankly I think the last 15 years has been the most even as far as champs.

99 Roseau
00 Blaine
01 Elk River
02 Holy Angels
03 Anoka
04 Centennial
05 Holy Angels
06 Cretin D-H
07 Roseau
08 HM
09 Eden Prairie
10 Edina
11 Eden Prairie
12 BSM
13 Edina
14 HM 8)

Pretty diverse. And in the last few years we've seen northern teams like Warroad, DE, Roseau, GR, and Moorhead all have great shots at titles. The south metro is starting to blossom. Teams like Eagan, Maple Grove, Eastview, WBL, And Tonka have had teams that could have made a run but fell short either in section upsets or at State.

I would actually argue that the last 15 years has been amazing for MN hockey. Money, time, commitment, etc will always be issues. But I think our sport is as good as ever. Enjoy the games tonight. Peace.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Too bad us rubes continue to go. Wow I have been to the tourney since 99 and it is always a lot of fun. Yes we can complain about teams like STA and piss and moan like Hermantown, but the facts are the tournament still boasts three of the best days in MN High School sports, yes I said three, I am a big boy fan not a JV fan. Hit me hit me....
I love the Thursday and especially love the Friday night session and will continue to go with the rest of the rubes.
twolinepass

Post by twolinepass »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Getting to be fairly predictable finals. The sport has out priced the blue collar communities. What is MN Hockey doing about it? not much of anything just piling on more regulatory crap year after year. "Growing" the sport is left to their glossy brochures. You hockey rubes would be wise to boycott MSHSL annual event en mass! 25 games is a complete joke!

State Finals – AA
Hill-Murray – Edina
Eden Prairie - Moorhead
Edina - Minnetonka
Edina - Hill-Murray

State Finals – A
Breck - Warroad
Breck – Hermantown
I agree with the class A 'lack of parity' argument, but simply because STA and Breck poisoned the well.

But I disagree in many respects to overall parity. The 40s were dominated by Eveleth. The 50s by St Paul Johnson, TFR, and Roseau. 60s by International Falls and Greenway. 70s by Edina and GR. 90s by Jefferson.

Every decade has had a handful of teams being the dominant force. Frankly I think the last 15 years has been the most even as far as champs.

99 Roseau
00 Blaine
01 Elk River
02 Holy Angels
03 Anoka
04 Centennial
05 Holy Angels
06 Cretin D-H
07 Roseau
08 HM
09 Eden Prairie
10 Edina
11 Eden Prairie
12 BSM
13 Edina
14 HM 8)

Pretty diverse. And in the last few years we've seen northern teams like Warroad, DE, Roseau, GR, and Moorhead all have great shots at titles. The south metro is starting to blossom. Teams like Eagan, Maple Grove, Eastview, WBL, And Tonka have had teams that could have made a run but fell short either in section upsets or at State.

I would actually argue that the last 15 years has been amazing for MN hockey. Money, time, commitment, etc will always be issues. But I think our sport is as good as ever. Enjoy the games tonight. Peace.
Mic drop
northwoods oldtimer

Zamman wrote:Too bad us rubes continue to go. Wow I have been to the tourney since 99 and it is always a lot of fun. Yes we can complain about teams like STA and piss and moan like Hermantown, but the facts are the tournament still boasts three of the best days in MN High School sports, yes I said three, I am a big boy fan not a JV fan. Hit me hit me....
I love the Thursday and especially love the Friday night session and will continue to go with the rest of the rubes.
MSHSL will continue to take your money and could care less that schools are dropping or cooping the sport.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Re: AA State Hockey Tournament

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

stpaul wrote:
badgermom78 wrote:How great would it be to see an all Public tourney! It is a definite possibility this year.
There is a better chance that there will be 3 private schools.
How did that work out? \:D/
hockeyfan2150

Hockey Tourney

Post by hockeyfan2150 »

Oh boy another year of watching Quick Draw McGraw
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Stub Hub had tickets available this morning for Friday night's AA Semi starting at $110 each. now stub Hub showing no tickets available for Friday night. Were people really paying $110 or more each?
Sats81

Re: Hockey Tourney

Post by Sats81 »

hockeyfan2150 wrote:Oh boy another year of watching Quick Draw McGraw
Is there anyone worse?! Thank God Housley is gone. Clymer kills me though. Comparing an 8th grader (Nelson from Luverne) -who does have a ENORMOUS upside to Hudson Fasching. Too young for me to be making those comparisons.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

I don't fault him for the comparison to Fasching and really it doesn't seem all that far off. Fasching was touted as a bantam but broke out onto the scene as a 9th grader in AVs appearance when he ended up all tournament. Both big lanky and skilled players. Another similarity is that we may not see Nelson back in the state tournament after this first run. Fasching and AV weren't able to make it back for his 10th grade year before he departed for Ann Arbor. All in the announcers have done a decent job and will probably prove to be better than Thorne IMHO.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Another nice thing about the tournament at the X is not seeing the net come off every time a goalie breaks wind (or nudges it to get a stoppage in play). The pegs used for squirts really don't work at the high school level and to many teams use this to get a whistle.
outside_observer

Post by outside_observer »

gitter wrote:
celly93 wrote:One thing I realized while typing that post: A competitive Holy Angels team would make section 2AA a lot more interesting.
Prior Lake has a very good Bantam AA (ranked #7) group coming up (as well as Peewee AA - ranked #5) and their leading scorer was a freshman this year. IF (and thats a big if when it comes to PL), the kids stay they should give Edina all they can handle for a few years. Hopefully Burnsville can continue to be somewhat of a threat so this section turns competitive again.
With their youth teams going a combined 45-94-17, in district 6, I don't think burnsville will be making anything interesting.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Afternoon AA attendance announced at 15,582. Seems a bit low. Also read in the paper about MNDOT closing 35E just north of St. Paul all weekend. Nice planning St. Paul.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

Need some help. Love the tourney and its great history.

AA Semifinals Friday night: No private schools. No northern schools.

Exactly which one of these 4 southwest suburban mega-schools am I supposed to get excited about?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

stpaul wrote:Need some help. Love the tourney and its great history.

Exactly which one of these 4 southwest suburban mega-schools am I supposed to get excited about?
1. Eagan
2. Lakeville South
3. Turn off TV :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

I struggled with the same dilemma. I chose to go with:

1) Hermantown
2) East Grand Forks
3) New Prague

Fortunately, tomorrow is Friday, so there are other options to entertain myself tomorrow evening while I listen to the background noise. Roseau, East, and Stillwater all let me down big time today.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Lee didn't you mean Lakeville North/Lakeville South/Farmington? Simply the reference to Lakeville South may be confusing.

I'll never admit it but I'm almost cheering for Edina to repeat and position themselves for a run to three peat next year. There pretty young and if they get all kids back it could be done. :twisted:
bemused

Post by bemused »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Lee didn't you mean Lakeville North/Lakeville South/Farmington? Simply the reference to Lakeville South may be confusing.

I'll never admit it but I'm almost cheering for Edina to repeat and position themselves for a run to three peat next year. There pretty young and if they get all kids back it could be done. :twisted:
I haven't cheered for the Hornets since Jim Knutson took out Henry Boucha but this may be the year!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Lee didn't you mean Lakeville North/Lakeville South/Farmington? Simply the reference to Lakeville South may be confusing.

LOL...I think I was having a Justin Kloos flashback nightmare when I posted that.

When I look at the four semifinalists, I find it hard to cheer for any of them, other than possibly Eagan. I'm more interested in the Class A semifinals today, probably due to the very good chance of an all-North final.

This just in--Edina is scary good.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
northwoods oldtimer

PuckRanger wrote:

I struggled with the same dilemma. I chose to go with:

1) Hermantown
2) East Grand Forks
3) New Prague

Fortunately, tomorrow is Friday, so there are other options to entertain myself tomorrow evening while I listen to the background noise. Roseau, East, and Stillwater all let me down big time today.
I am pulling for Eagan.