POLL:: 1A section 3 final. Luverne/New Ulm

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CLASS 1A section 3A final

Poll ended at Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Luverne
80%
New Ulm
20%

Total votes: 44

lamplighter98

POLL:: 1A section 3 final. Luverne/New Ulm

Post by lamplighter98 »

Who you got and why? It's gonna be a good one
Dog_Log17

Re: POLL:: 1A section 3 final. Luverne/New Ulm

Post by Dog_Log17 »

Doubtful. Luverne punches their 1st ticket to the X. No question.

My prediction: Luverne wins 7-2.
lamplighter98 wrote:Who you got and why? It's gonna be a good one
OU812

Re: POLL:: 1A section 3 final. Luverne/New Ulm

Post by OU812 »

Dog_Log17 wrote:Doubtful. Luverne punches their 1st ticket to the X. No question.

My prediction: Luverne wins 7-2.
lamplighter98 wrote:Who you got and why? It's gonna be a good one
Dog Log, you are barking up the right tree, if you ask me!

5-1, Luverne
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Luverne. Always cool to see new team in the tourney
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

hoping luverne wins. do not want to see another new ulm team. lot of hype about the luverne kids this season. interested to see the young kids that have been talked up quite a bit in the 3a thread
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

sterfry9 wrote:hoping luverne wins. do not want to see another new ulm team. lot of hype about the luverne kids this season. interested to see the young kids that have been talked up quite a bit in the 3a thread
Exactly. Let's see Luverne at State. I want to see what they can do against... probably Breck. :shock:
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
alumni52

Post by alumni52 »

This is going to be a much better game then people think it will be. After watching both teams play in the semi's luverne is the much more talented squad. New Ulm though really works together well and grinds and plays very hard. I could see this being a 1 or 2 goal game going either way very easily. New Ulm has nothing to lose and Luverne has every thing to prove. Cant wait, should be a good one.
un bias opinions on 3A
lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 »

this started out very one sided 90/10, but is starting to sway in the 75/25 range now. I'm expecting a great game from both sides
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

lamplighter98 wrote:this started out very one sided 90/10, but is starting to sway in the 75/25 range now. I'm expecting a great game from both sides
Of the three phases, Luverne IMO has an advantage in all three. Better tendy, better forwards, better Defenseman. Luverne also has a distinct depth advantage.

Luverne has all the pressure. Cleary an advantage for New Ulm. New Ulm also has experience, however, as trout pointed out, barely anyone on this roster. I expect Lord will put out a very hard working, loose bunch. If New Ulm can keep it close, and not be totally exhausted, they will definately have a chance at the end.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

How do the styles of play match up? I agree lots of mental pressure on the Luverne boys but hopefully coach has addressed that and has them under control as much as possible. Luverne by a couple.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

I think that if Luverne's defenseman can stop The Peterson line, it's going to be a long night for new Ulm. The Luverne forwards will more than likely pepper the heck out of New Ulm's goaltender, don't think he'll be able to handle it. Luverne wins it 6-2.
Scout14

Post by Scout14 »

Think the Cards have way to much up front for New Ulm to keep up in this one. The Cards have really stepped things up defensively and Meyer has been the rock for them!! If Luverne can establish a strong forecheck I see it being a long night for New Ulm. Luverne has the advantage of playing there three lines all year long. Two lines will not be able to keep up with the high flying Cardinals all night!!

FYI:Trout no one is sitting on the edge of there seat waiting for your prediction!!

Cards 5/2 :lol:
the thrill

Post by the thrill »

I like Luverne in this one. I think they jump out to an early 2-0 lead. From there it will be back and forth, until the 3rd when Luverne pours it on. 5-2 Luverne.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

How good is new ulms first line alumni52? They got the wheels to make a difference?
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

LuVerne will win. It will be great to see a new team at the X. Great for their program and community. I think the X will eat them for lunch and they will be 0-2, but.......it is great for MN hockey to see new teams!! Best of luck to them!!
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

On paper it looks like Luverne should win. They've got the record and the high scoring forwards. There are a few question marks that anyone is welcome to fill in.

1) I've heard it mentioned that Luverne's D had been a question mark; From what I can see New Ulm is the first team the Cardinals play this season who can roll two legitimate lines that can score; as NU has three 20 goal scorers, and three more between 12-17 goals.

2) I'd say that Judd Davis is the most complete player(NOT the best, just very complete) in the section playing all 200 feet of ice exceptionally, and as a coach I'd have no qualms playing him against the Smezrud line. Has Luverne been able to handle that line being neutralized against a team that can score?

3) I know everyone is saying Meyer is playing well but if need be, has he ever "stolen" a game? I know Luverne's had some gaudy records the past few years but has he ever had to step up and really steal one? Kraus has proven capable of a 50-60 save win.

4) Has Luverne ever been down a goal or two after a period? After two? NU has proven to be a VERY opportunistic team when it comes to scoring goals and even if being outshot heavily, they are capable of putting the puck in the net. Have the Cards ever had to keep their cool if they're down a goal with time dwindling? I realize its a different year, but Marshall seemed to use that formula with great effectiveness (Hot goalie and lucky bounces).

Any feedback is appreciated.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:On paper it looks like Luverne should win. They've got the record and the high scoring forwards. There are a few question marks that anyone is welcome to fill in.

1) I've heard it mentioned that Luverne's D had been a question mark; From what I can see New Ulm is the first team the Cardinals play this season who can roll two legitimate lines that can score; as NU has three 20 goal scorers, and three more between 12-17 goals. SEE Blomington kennedy game

2) I'd say that Judd Davis is the most complete player(NOT the best, just very complete) in the section playing all 200 feet of ice exceptionally, and as a coach I'd have no qualms playing him against the Smezrud line. Has Luverne been able to handle that line being neutralized against a team that can score? Willmar went full throttle to stop Smedsrud and did. Luverne still won 4-0. Also, New Ulm does not get the opportunity to match lines because Luverne will have last change. One of the best qualities of this Luverne team is the depth. Top two lines are about even. Line three can make quality shifts, and i expect to see a healthy dose of them

3) I know everyone is saying Meyer is playing well but if need be, has he ever "stolen" a game? I know Luverne's had some gaudy records the past few years but has he ever had to step up and really steal one? Kraus has proven capable of a 50-60 save win. I would also look at the holiday tournament for this one. If we are speaking of just this year. Lets not forget thats been his cage for four years on varsity

4) Has Luverne ever been down a goal or two after a period? After two? NU has proven to be a VERY opportunistic team when it comes to scoring goals and even if being outshot heavily, they are capable of putting the puck in the net. Have the Cards ever had to keep their cool if they're down a goal with time dwindling? I realize its a different year, but Marshall seemed to use that formula with great effectiveness (Hot goalie and lucky bounces). SEE Dodge county.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Hutch outplayed the heck out of New Ulm in their only meeting, hutch capitalized on their terrible goaltending .The game will go the same i imagine, However Kendall is steady back their right now. New Ulm will need 4+ goals against Luverne to beat them, and they arent getting that on fifteen shots on this Luverne Tendy.

Also, How will New Ulm react to playing in Luverne on Thursday Night when this game gets postponed due to weather tomorrow? Talk about a fitting retirement bash for Lord. Have to play the section Final at BMIA. TEN STEPS BACK BABY!!
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

The game has been postponed.

Rescheduled for tomorrow at 7:45 in Mankato at All-Seasons Arena.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

I would have to give the edge to the Luverne Leprechauns when comparing the games with the Hutchinson Hooligan's.
the thrill

Post by the thrill »

Just saw that game time is now 6 pm.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

the thrill wrote:Just saw that game time is now 6 pm.
I just saw that too.
rollcards

Post by rollcards »

exactly
rollcards

Post by rollcards »

I thought the Eagles represented 3A pretty good. Take away a couple mistakes by their defense and its a close game. I don't think the one line of our Cards would have done as well. It should be an interesting year this fall when our BIG THREE are gone.
pats12

Post by pats12 »

rollcards wrote:I thought the Eagles represented 3A pretty good. Take away a couple mistakes by their defense and its a close game. I don't think the one line of our Cards would have done as well. It should be an interesting year this fall when our BIG THREE are gone.
The 3 that wore the "C" in the jerseys?
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

rollcards wrote:I thought the Eagles represented 3A pretty good. Take away a couple mistakes by their defense and its a close game. I don't think the one line of our Cards would have done as well. It should be an interesting year this fall when our BIG THREE are gone.
Where are the grammar police for this clown?? Elaine you still teaching English?