EGF vs Warroad Section 8A Championship

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will be headed to the X

EGF
76%
Warroad
24%

Total votes: 49

ted2you

Ugly

Post by ted2you » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:42 pm

This team has grown up in EGF. Why is there such a suspicion surrounding any team that is stands out? Is anyone suggesting that these parents decided when their child was 7-8 that moving to EGF would be good for their son's hockey career. Especially ironic considering they hadn't been to state for 11 years prior to last year. If you do want to make an argument, there are families that have to decide between Grand Forks and East Grand Forks. If things were close, it is my guess that parents would rather have their children exposed to Minnesota Hockey rather than North Dakota, but this argument is pretty weak considering these kids have been together for so long. Another laugh, if you have ever been to East Grand Forks, the idea that they would enticed to move there for the great jobs. It is my understanding that these kids have played together since squirts. They are a special talent and it could be a special year for them. Let them enjoy it! BTW, the decision to televise that game was made 1-2 months ago. It was televised last year as well. But clearly the pending matchup between Warroad and EGF was quite appealing.

25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 pm

yes but its nonsense made up by silly people like yourself who hate Warroads success. If it was a real thing than why is the goalies dad not working in Warroad? Also I like how the problem was that Warroad's players weren't from Warroad. But now that we've established that neither are the EGF kids, its only a problem if their parents work at certain jobs.

:roll:

25 sheet power

Re: Ugly

Post by 25 sheet power » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:47 pm

ted2you wrote:This team has grown up in EGF. Why is there such a suspicion surrounding any team that is stands out? Is anyone suggesting that these parents decided when their child was 7-8 that moving to EGF would be good for their son's hockey career. Especially ironic considering they hadn't been to state for 11 years prior to last year. If you do want to make an argument, there are families that have to decide between Grand Forks and East Grand Forks. If things were close, it is my guess that parents would rather have their children exposed to Minnesota Hockey rather than North Dakota, but this argument is pretty weak considering these kids have been together for so long. Another laugh, if you have ever been to East Grand Forks, the idea that they would enticed to move there for the great jobs. It is my understanding that these kids have played together since squirts. They are a special talent and it could be a special year for them. Let them enjoy it! BTW, the decision to televise that game was made 1-2 months ago. It was televised last year as well. But clearly the pending matchup between Warroad and EGF was quite appealing.

This subject was brought up by your people. I agree its a shame.

puckbreath

Re: Ugly

Post by puckbreath » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:58 pm

ted2you wrote:This team has grown up in EGF. Why is there such a suspicion surrounding any team that is stands out? Is anyone suggesting that these parents decided when their child was 7-8 that moving to EGF would be good for their son's hockey career. Especially ironic considering they hadn't been to state for 11 years prior to last year. If you do want to make an argument, there are families that have to decide between Grand Forks and East Grand Forks. If things were close, it is my guess that parents would rather have their children exposed to Minnesota Hockey rather than North Dakota, but this argument is pretty weak considering these kids have been together for so long. Another laugh, if you have ever been to East Grand Forks, the idea that they would enticed to move there for the great jobs. It is my understanding that these kids have played together since squirts. They are a special talent and it could be a special year for them. Let them enjoy it! BTW, the decision to televise that game was made 1-2 months ago. It was televised last year as well. But clearly the pending matchup between Warroad and EGF was quite appealing.

I'm no fan of egf ted, but excellent post.

I've said it before; egf team quality is just as cyclical in nature as others in the region.

It's just their time the last couple years is all.

ted2you

Response

Post by ted2you » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:36 pm

25 sheet power wrote:yes but its nonsense made up by silly people like yourself who hate Warroads success. If it was a real thing than why is the goalies dad not working in Warroad? Also I like how the problem was that Warroad's players weren't from Warroad. But now that we've established that neither are the EGF kids, its only a problem if their parents work at certain jobs.

I hope this wasn't directed at me.

1. I don't hate Warroad!
2. Brought up by "my people?" I live in Chaska and went to school at UND, so I'm not sure who "my people" are.
3. I like good hockey and this year EGF is an excellent hockey team.
4. If anyone has read my posts, they would know that if I had my way EGF would be playing AA and I'd like to see how they stack up against that field. Lastly, at the time of this posting EGF would still have to beat a very good Warroad team to get to state.

25 sheet power

Re: Response

Post by 25 sheet power » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 pm

ted2you wrote:
25 sheet power wrote:yes but its nonsense made up by silly people like yourself who hate Warroads success. If it was a real thing than why is the goalies dad not working in Warroad? Also I like how the problem was that Warroad's players weren't from Warroad. But now that we've established that neither are the EGF kids, its only a problem if their parents work at certain jobs.

I hope this wasn't directed at me.

1. I don't hate Warroad!
2. Brought up by "my people?" I live in Chaska and went to school at UND, so I'm not sure who "my people" are.
3. I like good hockey and this year EGF is an excellent hockey team.
4. If anyone has read my posts, they would know that if I had my way EGF would be playing AA and I'd like to see how they stack up against that field. Lastly, at the time of this posting EGF would still have to beat a very good Warroad team to get to state.
1. Not at you.
2. I would say at the very least EGF is one of your teams. Or you wouldn't be talking about if they should move up, with what looks to be quite a bit of passion. obviously you can say im wrong and that will be the end of that.

Anyways I couldn't care less where the players are form. But if the people who support the team you also support want to point fingers than it only seems fair someone hold up a mirror for them.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:10 pm

- can you give one example where a hot hockey kid's dad was given a job in egf, so his kid could play there ?

That's the difference (among others), and if you can't see it, or choose to continue to be blind to it, that's your problem.

Hell, this occurrence in Warroad was even brought up here recently in another thread.

As far as the goalie, who knows. He's only average anyway, so maybe that's part of it :P

ted2you

Mirror

Post by ted2you » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Am I missing something? Which EGF players are not homegrown and what is your definition of wrongdoing?

We have private schools that can openly recruit and give financial aid with no questions asked. Why in the world would someone care where the Yon family is from? Did they follow the MSHSL rules? I've been to both Warroad and Roseau many times, if someone wants to live there, knock yourself out. We live in a world where kids leave school to play in the USHL and people are concerned about these issues.

There are two types of wrongs as near as I see it. Clear violations of the rules, such at Acheiver's Academy and violation of the spirit of the rules. I'm assuming these accusations are the latter?

I have never heard any accusations of either with EGF. Where I am confused is what standard is being set. Do kids have to show birth certificates showing they were born in the town they play to be within the spirit of the rules? Are we setting an expectation that they must spend their school career where the start at mites? This is a crazy conversation and form of criticism.

I would like to know what wrongs are you suggesting? I don't have a dog in this race, but it sounds like some parents should grow up and let the kids play.

25 sheet power

Re: Mirror

Post by 25 sheet power » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:20 pm

ted2you wrote:Am I missing something? Which EGF players are not homegrown and what is your definition of wrongdoing?

We have private schools that can openly recruit and give financial aid with no questions asked. Why in the world would someone care where the Yon family is from? Did they follow the MSHSL rules? I've been to both Warroad and Roseau many times, if someone wants to live there, knock yourself out. We live in a world where kids leave school to play in the USHL and people are concerned about these issues.

There are two types of wrongs as near as I see it. Clear violations of the rules, such at Acheiver's Academy and violation of the spirit of the rules. I'm assuming these accusations are the latter?

I have never heard any accusations of either with EGF. Where I am confused is what standard is being set. Do kids have to show birth certificates showing they were born in the town they play to be within the spirit of the rules? Are we setting an expectation that they must spend their school career where the start at mites? This is a crazy conversation and form of criticism.

I would like to know what wrongs are you suggesting? I don't have a dog in this race, but it sounds like some parents should grow up and let the kids play.
Read this thread. I'm not the one calling any of it into question. its some fan from EGF saying warroads team is recruits. Ok fine, at what age can you move without getting labeled a"recruit"? untill someone gives me that answer ill assume the two loven kids, eades and brierley are recruits.
Im confused by the standard as well. And dont care when or why they move. so please stop directing these questions at me.

Deathblow

Post by Deathblow » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:38 pm

First off, every single one of these "recruits" is a joy to watch. Say what you want, but if you can't enjoy watching that line from Warroad, or Yon bulldozing his way to the net, or watching the Lovens mix it up in the corners, you don't love hockey. They all show a great deal of pride in, and respect for the logo on the front of the jersey.

Second, I think some of the vitriol toward Warroad is simply a result of being able to put a face and a name to what's bringing a family to Warroad, whether it's true or not. More often than not, it's Marvin. Stordahl could do the same thing in TRF with Digi-Key, and I bet they'd get the same amount of heat. The Grand Forks area has many large employers, but not many in the private sector. As long as these families are following the rules, who cares? Enjoy the hockey.

Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:40 pm

If you think players parents are just handed jobs at the door when they move to Warroad why don't you watch this.

http://www.kare11.com/video/32344571370 ... key-heroes

True story about Kobe's dad, moved to Warroad and stocked shelves and swept floors at the arena for a year before he could finally get a job at Marvins.

He wanted his kid to have a chance to play better hockey

wayfncold

Post by wayfncold » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Sorry I changed the tread :twisted: Can we get back to who's going to win.

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:39 am

Stocked shelves and swept floors at the arena? Wow he was lucky that the shelf stocking, floor sweeping job happened to open up at the right time!

ramstein

Thought this was about the game

Post by ramstein » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 am

You have Warroad state point leading top line against a very strong EGF defense.

Sound like a great game to me.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:08 am

upnorthfan wrote:Stocked shelves and swept floors at the arena? Wow he was lucky that the shelf stocking, floor sweeping job happened to open up at the right time!
"Hey Mr. Roth, why don't you drop everything and quit current job and move to Warroad, MN. We can even set you up with awesome, low paying jobs stocking selves at a grocery store and you can sweep the arena!"

Who could resist that sales pitch!

northfan

Post by northfan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:36 am

Homegrowns 4
Imports 0

northfan

Post by northfan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 am

Will take a lot of puck luck for the Warriors to have a sniff in this one.
Last edited by northfan on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 am

You seem a bit defensive. I was merely making a statement at how fortunate he was that the job opened up.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 am

upnorthfan wrote:You seem a bit defensive. I was merely making a statement at how fortunate he was that the job opened up.
Honestly the grocery store in town is always shuffling new employees. In fact it was my first job when I was kid. Same as a lot of other kids. They almost always have a help wanted sign posted. They hire a lot of part time employees. And I don't recall ever seeing the owners of the store at hockey games so I doubt they are some big shot boosters. It really isn't suspicious at all that some job just happened to open there.

As far as the job cleaning the arena, obviously that's a not suspicious. But no one here knows the specifics and it's still impossible to recruit a family based on a job opportunity as a janitor.

25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:28 am

warriors41 wrote:
upnorthfan wrote:You seem a bit defensive. I was merely making a statement at how fortunate he was that the job opened up.
Honestly the grocery store in town is always shuffling new employees. In fact it was my first job when I was kid. Same as a lot of other kids. They almost always have a help wanted sign posted. They hire a lot of part time employees. And I don't recall ever seeing the owners of the store at hockey games so I doubt they are some big shot boosters. It really isn't suspicious at all that some job just happened to open there.

As far as the job cleaning the arena, obviously that's a not suspicious. But no one here knows the specifics and it's still impossible to recruit a family based on a job opportunity as a janitor.
I think he was being sarcastic...

25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:31 am

northfan wrote:Homegrowns 4
Imports 0
HAHA we already found out EGF has 4 Non-homegrowns. So now im confused as to who you are picking?

Crimson Live

Post by Crimson Live » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:33 am

Speaking of parents getting jobs. Correct me if Im wrong but didn't Bowen's dad get Loven's dad a job at Bank Forward when they moved to East Grand from Fargo?

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:57 am

25 sheet power wrote:
northfan wrote:Homegrowns 4
Imports 0
HAHA we already found out EGF has 4 Non-homegrowns. So now im confused as to who you are picking?
We do?
Where is the verification.
Cannot go by what is said on this forum.
Somebody supply some actual facts.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

ted2you

embarassed

Post by ted2you » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 pm

To quote a local radio station..."i don't know what kind of putrid slime is getting pulled up." Enough!!!

I'm going to suggest that the game get settled on the ice on Thursday evening. These stupid, pointless accusations are flat out insulting and embarrassing. But some people might not like that, because they wouldn't want to admit that if "their" team lost it was because they lost to a better team. Its much easier to slime them and accuse them of cheating. Pathetic

25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 pm

who are you directing this at?