EGF vs Warroad Section 8A Championship

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will be headed to the X

EGF
76%
Warroad
24%

Total votes: 49

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Deathblow wrote:Yep...I thought Warroad took it to them...those 4 dmen were clearing everything and everybody from in front of the net. The Green Wave really wasn't able to develop much offensively. Warroad forced them into a lot of turnovers, and was really able to generate a lot of quality shots on Weber, but he was able to bail them out. Unfortunate that somebody had to lose this game, but the depth of EGF was really the deciding factor...otherwise the Wave was lucky to come up with the win.
Yeah, it was sloppy play by both teams for a lot of the game, but egf's goalie definitely was the only thing that kept them in it.
upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan »

No matter what one thinks about the 1st line of Warroad, you would have to admit they are amazing in their ability to log that many minutes and continue to be effective.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

What the heck is a "Green Wave", anyway ? Something like a "Heat" or a "Wild" ? Must be something that comes from the yucky water in the Red River. Oh well, go EGF - good luck next week. Will be glued in front of the TV.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

hockey9011 wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
hockey9011 wrote:You can probably write in an EGF vs Hermantown state championship.
Well with Breck out.... Yup
I don't see any team remaining that could knock either of them out. Should be a great championship
WE'LL SEE GRASSHOPPER1!!
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Very good game to attend. Warroad running two lines against EGF three lines caught up to the Warriors. Impressed with Warroad one line skill and two lines very efficient D strategy throughout the game. Both teams deserved the trip to Saint Paul unfortunately only one can go and that took double overtime to decide.
Arleigh Berg

Bwaa haaa haaa

Post by Arleigh Berg »

SPUDNUT wrote:What the heck is a "Green Wave", anyway ? Something like a "Heat" or a "Wild" ? Must be something that comes from the yucky water in the Red River. Oh well, go EGF - good luck next week. Will be glued in front of the TV.
I don't know why this is such a befuddling thing to people. I grew up across the river on the ND side and always understood what a green wave is. One is overpowered by the wave of green clad opponents. Like a Tulane Green Wave (clearly what EGF copied) or a Crimson Tide or Cleveland Brown. Same idea.

Frankly I think it's better than being a Spud or a Gopher. Neither one of those sounds like it could overpower an opponent. :D
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

puckbreath wrote:
Deathblow wrote:Yep...I thought Warroad took it to them...those 4 dmen were clearing everything and everybody from in front of the net. The Green Wave really wasn't able to develop much offensively. Warroad forced them into a lot of turnovers, and was really able to generate a lot of quality shots on Weber, but he was able to bail them out. Unfortunate that somebody had to lose this game, but the depth of EGF was really the deciding factor...otherwise the Wave was lucky to come up with the win.
Yeah, it was sloppy play by both teams for a lot of the game, but egf's goalie definitely was the only thing that kept them in it.
The gameplan for Warroad included a lot of chipping/chasing out of their D-Zone to spring guys going up ice, but there was a lot of skill for both teams out on the ice last night. Some examples include many scoring chances for Warroads top line, and the Bowen line for EGF (the second goal in particular). I wouldn't call the game "sloppy" at all, pretty good pace and fun to watch.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

mn miracle man wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
The gameplan for Warroad included a lot of chipping/chasing out of their D-Zone to spring guys going up ice, but there was a lot of skill for both teams out on the ice last night. Some examples include many scoring chances for Warroads top line, and the Bowen line for EGF (the second goal in particular). I wouldn't call the game "sloppy" at all, pretty good pace and fun to watch.
Mostly, I agree with your summary, but, EGF did look tentative a lot of the time.
Some of the players seemed to be holding back instead of going agressively to the puck.
The EGF coach even stated so after the game that they were kind of tight and playing more not to lose than to win.
I agree that it would be great if they were both going to state.
But, not to be.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

mn miracle man wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
Lots of turnovers, lots of errant/missed their mark passes, no flow because of them = sloppy play for me.
At least in regulation there was.

ymmv
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Very good game to attend. Warroad running two lines against EGF three lines caught up to the Warriors. Impressed with Warroad one line skill and two lines very efficient D strategy throughout the game. Both teams deserved the trip to Saint Paul unfortunately only one can go and that took double overtime to decide.
How do you figure? 3rd and the ots warroad started to take over.
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Very good game to attend. Warroad running two lines against EGF three lines caught up to the Warriors. Impressed with Warroad one line skill and two lines very efficient D strategy throughout the game. Both teams deserved the trip to Saint Paul unfortunately only one can go and that took double overtime to decide.
Crimson Live

Post by Crimson Live »

25 sheet power wrote:
Agreed.. Warroad looked better every period that game went. Had more scoring chances in the 3rd and both overtimes than EGF they just could not capitalize.