1AA Lakeville North vs Farmington

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Lakeville North
79%
Farmington
21%

Total votes: 39

HvyMtl

1AA Lakeville North vs Farmington

Post by HvyMtl »

North has definitely earned all the accolades this season, but this could potentially be a very close game. These two teams didn't meet during the regular season, but the players have faced each other countless times throughout their association years in District 8. There is, without question, a rivalry here that is additionally fueled by the fact that North's freshman goaltender transferred to North from Farmington this year.

Both teams have dramatically outshot most of their opponents this season, so this will most likely be a battle between the goaltenders. How interesting would it be if North plays the Freshman goalie tomorrow night? Should be an outstanding game to watch!
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

North will play a complete game and post a nice 7-1 victory in the Section 1AA final.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

thespellchecker wrote:North will play a complete game and post a nice 7-1 victory in the Section 1AA final.
I am a tiger backer, but I must agree with you.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Farmington 3-2 in double OT
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Note that the game has been pushed back to 8 p.m. due to New Prague and West game being postponed to Thursday. That game starts at 6 p.m. Good luck finding a parking spot if you are coming to the late game.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

LN 5-2
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

hockeydad wrote:Note that the game has been pushed back to 8 p.m. due to New Prague and West game being postponed to Thursday. That game starts at 6 p.m. Good luck finding a parking spot if you are coming to the late game.
My secret spot.....Across the street to the east (Hwy 63/North Broadway) and just north of the traffic light is a Verizon/Jewelry store with decent parking no one uses. You have to cross at the light to avoid the ditch but tickets are sold only on the east side and if you're heading home to the north it's the easiest way out. It's closer than way down by the river on the west side and safer than across the street at the strip mall and way easier to get out of. Use bing or google maps and you'll see it to the east of the Rec Center.

My hunch is Farmington will bring a lot of people as this may very well be their first section final ever and they had a good showing Monday plus North's band is huge and very good. New Prague and West have both brought their bands in the past and I expect as much on Thursday. West also traditionally brings a lot of students.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

thespellchecker wrote:North will play a complete game and post a nice 7-1 victory in the Section 1AA final.
I would have to agree with Checker. Farmington will have their hands full tonight. Lakeville North is a hard team to beat. They have very good goaltending (either one). The D is solid and likes to jump into the play more often that none. As for the forwards, North have 3 lines that can skate and more important, score.
SouthernMinnFan

Post by SouthernMinnFan »

LVN with a route early... nothing wrong with Farmington's team, I just really like Lakeville this year.
eagle4life9

Post by eagle4life9 »

Anyone who has seen both teams play this year knows North is simply better. I wouldnt be surprised to see a close first pariod, especially if North is a little nervous. In the end, North's talent and depth is way too much for Farmington to overcome and by the end I think they win by 4ish+
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

eagle4life9 wrote:Anyone who has seen both teams play this year knows North is simply better. I wouldnt be surprised to see a close first pariod, especially if North is a little nervous. In the end, North's talent and depth is way too much for Farmington to overcome and by the end I think they win by 4ish+
I agree. Its very cool Farmington is there - but I will predict a higher blowout. LVN by 7
DubCHAGuy

Prediction

Post by DubCHAGuy »

Farmington's underclassmen were great in youth hockey, but this year haven't beat anyone close to as good as North. It will be close, but LVN wins 5-3. Could be the start of a legitimate rivalry in 1AA.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

There might not be many Farmington Fans at the game....to cold to drive those tractors. :lol:
nahc

Post by nahc »

LN 5 Farmington 1

To bad there is a game now scheduled before this matchup. The earlier game will start at 6 but after the game, medal/trophy presentation, the LN/Farm game won't start till at least 9. That puts most people in the Lakeville/Farmington area home by about 12:30 - 1am IF the roads are ok. Seems ridiculous to have these teams head all the way to Rochester to play the game........ PLENT of rinks where the cities are both located to host the game.........

Safe travels to all who attend!!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

nahc wrote:LN 5 Farmington 1

To bad there is a game now scheduled before this matchup. The earlier game will start at 6 but after the game, medal/trophy presentation, the LN/Farm game won't start till at least 9. That puts most people in the Lakeville/Farmington area home by about 12:30 - 1am IF the roads are ok. Seems ridiculous to have these teams head all the way to Rochester to play the game........ PLENT of rinks where the cities are both located to host the game.........

Agreed completely with the stupidity of these teams that are less than 10 miles apart driving to Rochester to play. Pretty certain the issue is for section semifinal and championship games the rink has to be able to seat a certain amount of people. Neither Ames Arena (LN) or Farmingtons rink has the capacity. I believe I heard that Haase Arena (LS) was like 27 seats short or something ridicolous...
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

Sats81 wrote:

Agreed completely with the stupidity of these teams that are less than 10 miles apart driving to Rochester to play. Pretty certain the issue is for section semifinal and championship games the rink has to be able to seat a certain amount of people. Neither Ames Arena (LN) or Farmingtons rink has the capacity. I believe I heard that Haase Arena (LS) was like 27 seats short or something ridicolous...
I'm really tired of the complaining about cities teams having to drive to Rochester for a game. Section 1AA and 1A are played at the rec center, no matter how much cities teams don't like it. It is the largest and most central arena for both sections, but unfortunately sometimes 2 of the 3 "northern" teams face off in the final. We had to drive to the cities nearly every weekend growing up to play games, you guys can repay the favor once a year.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Um I believe "Sometimes" has applied to the last 5 years or so and there is nothing central about the location when you look at the teams. Owatanna would probably be more central.........
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

nahc wrote:Um I believe "Sometimes" has applied to the last 5 years or so and there is nothing central about the location when you look at the teams. Owatanna would probably be more central.........
Exactly
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Years ago (1980s) I was at a section basketball game between Apple Valley and another south Metro school in Rochester that didn't start until close to 9. I made the comment to some people I was with that it didn't make sense to have two city schools drive to Rochester for a game starting that late. One of the people I was with was a Rochester school administrator. His response: "If they don't like it, they can stay at home!"

Basically, as long as Section 1 has a majority of SE Minnesota schools, the game will always be in Rochester, no matter who's playing.
Skatesharpener

Re: 1AA Lakeville North vs Farmington

Post by Skatesharpener »

HvyMtl wrote:North has definitely earned all the accolades this season, but this could potentially be a very close game. These two teams didn't meet during the regular season, but the players have faced each other countless times throughout their association years in District 8. There is, without question, a rivalry here that is additionally fueled by the fact that North's freshman goaltender transferred to North from Farmington this year.

Both teams have dramatically outshot most of their opponents this season, so this will most likely be a battle between the goaltenders. How interesting would it be if North plays the Freshman goalie tomorrow night? Should be an outstanding game to watch!
According to my sources, the Freshman is indeed geting the nod tonight.
nahc

Post by nahc »

HockeyDad: and for the most part, that is what people do, ie stay home. Had friends who drove down to Rochester last Saturday for the quarterfinals.......roads were horrible. Guess not may people at the game or the first game (1A) of the session. I have 0 problem holding the game in Rochester if any/all of the Rochester teams are playing each other. This makes as much sense as having the Rochester teams play in Farmington or Lakeville when they can play locally........ Just make it as easy and conveniant as possible for all teams involved........
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

It's still a southern section. Rochester isn't the most central but it has the best, and really the only facilities to host bigger section games. Continue to gripe about the location but its set before the matchups are even announced so the privileged teams up north will have to deal with it. An hour drive to a game is short for most of us down here. Get over it.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Nothing to get over 8) For 1AA maybe there can be a bit more flexibility in the future. Good luck to both teams tonight!!!!!!!!!!
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

nahc wrote:Nothing to get over 8) For 1AA maybe there can be a bit more flexibility in the future. Good luck to both teams tonight!!!!!!!!!!
I think the crappy weather this year would make some flexibility nice. But most years when there aren't huge issues with transportation all of the games at the rec center are a blast. If it continues to be 2 lakevilles every single year in the final maybe they should move that one. We just get salty when cities folk complain about long drives that we have to make nearly every game.
TicTacToe

Post by TicTacToe »

Anyone know of an audio or video stream for this game?