single tournament argument

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

single tournament argument

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Well at least we didn't go football or basketball and go 4 or 5 classes. :lol:
I can splash in the rink puddles!
nahc

Post by nahc »

Football is a totally differant apple........
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

One tourney would be great , if they have to go to 16 teams 8 "A", 8 "AA" or just 16 teams. One other idea would be if the League is stuck on 2 levels have a AA and an A tourney but no opting up, in that case the A tourney would be at least as exciting as the AA
blindref

Post by blindref »

The Mshsl should do what they did with basketball years ago.
Qualify eight AA and eight A teams.
Play within your class for your first game.
Winners of both classes move on and play each other in a blind draw.

We could have second round match ups like
East vs. Hermantown
Edina vs. East Grand Forks
Roseau vs. Hill
Etc.......

Small schools would still have a chance to go to State but they'd also have a
chance to pull off a "Hooisers-like upset".

TV would still have the same amount of games.

Or play one extra game on Monday night, AA champ against A champ.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Pure genius here ... first of all, how many varsity teams in Minnesota? I can't find a decent answer on online. So I'll go with 128 for good math.

Minnesota Hockey Battle Royale
-Rank all the teams 1 - 128

- lock all players and coaches in the Super rink. The only way out is to lose.

-start the round of 128 on sunday, 64 on monday, 32 on tuesday, 16 on wednesday, 8 on thursday, 4 on friday, championship on saturday night.

-live streams

-online gambling of course will be allowed, this is a freaking cash cow.

I should run for president or something.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

DrGaf wrote:Pure genius here ... first of all, how many varsity teams in Minnesota? I can't find a decent answer on online. So I'll go with 128 for good math.

-start the round of 128 on sunday, 64 on monday, 32 on tuesday, 16 on wednesday, 8 on thursday, 4 on friday, championship on saturday night.

-live streams

I will 2nd that!
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I've always been a fan of the one tournament approach. I like the ideas discussed above. That being said, all one has to do is look at the HockeyHub and see the picture of the Orono players celebrating with their fans and I think, two tournaments isn't a bad idea. Life time memories for the winners (Spartans), all good. Sorry Breck but that is the beauty of hockey and why unlike many other sports, cinderella can go to the ball...a hot goalie, a blocked shot, efforts from kids in one game that they didn't show all year, translates to a miraculous victory. I witnessed how the Indiana state basketball tournament was ruined when they went away from one class. I'm a die hard hockey fan and basketball is for those who can't skate, but I was able to watch the Indiana state tournament with one class...oh boy Hoosiers is a true story and the excitement at that venue was priceless. Just like the state hockey tournament in Minnesota. Congrats to all of the 16 teams that made it and enjoy the ride. GB
defense

Post by defense »

I really don't think there is any denying that two classes has helped in some way shape or form to grow hockey. For that reason to me it makes little sense to argue the system, its doing what is intended and is a good thing in the end to grow hockey. That said, I am also of the belief that we have AA caliber programs playing in class A. To each their own, but those programs do nothing but hurt themselves.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

The only problem I see with a two-class system is it's one step closer to a three-class system. And then a four-class system.

Remember when the State Basketball tournament was fun to watch? Not any more. The phrase "watered down beyond usefulness" comes to mind.

A two-class system works.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

DrGaf wrote:Pure genius here ... first of all, how many varsity teams in Minnesota? I can't find a decent answer on online. So I'll go with 128 for good math.

-live streams

Best idea I've seen In a long time!!
defense

Post by defense »

east hockey wrote:The only problem I see with a two-class system is it's one step closer to a three-class system. And then a four-class system.

Remember when the State Basketball tournament was fun to watch? Not any more. The phrase "watered down beyond usefulness" comes to mind.

Lee
plus one. very agreeable. I totally despise the football now,as opposed to partially hating it before...
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

I think its great the way it is.
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

east hockey wrote:The only problem I see with a two-class system is it's one step closer to a three-class system. And then a four-class system.

Lee
I see it that we already have a 3 class system: AA, A, Jr Gold.

I know there are some A schools, and probably even a few bottom AAs that would would get run by some Jr Gold teams.
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

-live streams

Comment Of The Year candidate right here.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

-live streams

As long as I get a reserved seat at Wild Bill's.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

-live streams

Except you can't play on Sundays and teams finding travel accommodations in a matter of hours would be absurd...

Granted, I understand the slight sarcasm in the proposal, but I don't understand why so many have an issue with the two-class system. I don't believe a one-class system would solve any issues.
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

1class basketball sold out Williams year in year out. What do you see today? Enough said.
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

-live streams

someone get this guy a beer, he deserves!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Lee
Um.... NO.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

No one is a bigger supporter of a one class tournament than me. But the toothpaste is already out of the tube, so I don't think about it much any more. Just glad I was able to be a part of (most of) the high point of it, 1969-1991. Part of the reason that came about is the demise of one class basketball.

I have no time for plans to restore some sort of "one champion" system. Having 8 teams from both classes meet in Saint Paul is a watered down version of the one class system. Basketball tried it and it only lasted two seasons. To me, it's like having 8 back door sections.

Even if basketball still had one class, it wouldn't capture the entire state's attention like it once did. Back in that era there was far less competition for people's attention, especially the NCAA tournament.

I used to think that there would be a push at some point for three classes in hockey. But hockey has so few teams, that's really very difficult to justify. But there is one way that it could be justified.

We were told that with two classes, schools could get some traction in A, then move up to AA. That really hasn't happened, Benilde and STA excepting, in over twenty years. Red Wing, Warroad, and (Bruce are you listening?) Hermantown have all found a comfortable spot in A. (Of course Red Wing fell off.) This has undermined another justification for two classes, "It's always the same teams, give the other teams a chance."

A lot of class A schools have no shot at making the class field, so why not three classes? A lot of teams in Hermantown's section don't have a prayer of making the state tournament.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

The most realistic way of getting to a one class system in hockey would be to argue for a system where you have to qualify for the playoffs (like much of the country). There are no sports we have where this would be an issue. The best A and AAA teams can play with the top AA and AAAA teams in basketball and so on and so forth.

There's 154 teams in hockey this year. You mandate 9 or 10 games on everyone's schedule and group them into 16 regions, play each of those teams once. Top 4 teams from each region make the playoffs. Seeding is easy, there's no issue. The stupid quarterfinal games we have now in every sport that are a waste of time and money for everyone involved get eliminated, a game gets added to the season and then when teams get penalized for infractions during the season, it actually means something.

Until hockey fans realize that the "hockey's different" approach doesn't work, nothing will happen.

The only downside is teams like Luverne this year. You may see random smaller town teams make the playoffs, but not likely at state. I think the shift to making the playoffs would be huge though.
Nebhoc471

Post by Nebhoc471 »

Seems to me we the way teams are classified between A and AA could use some tweaking. There are a handful of teams in AA that due to changing demographics and other reasons will probably never again be competitive in AA (Cooper, Irondale, Coon Rapids, etc.).

Maybe to classify teams you start with same method of putting largest 64 by enrollment in AA, but then move weakest 8 or 16 or some number to A using some way to measure competitiveness over past years. On the other hand you then move the top 8 or 16 or whatever from A to AA.

No idea how or if something like that could work (too many bad memories from tier I and II?). I believe there are some other states that do this where they move the a few of the weakest and strongest teams from one class to another.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

-live streams

LMAO! :lol:

Borderline genius, but I recognize a couple of kinks in the proposal:

Where are the winning teams supposed to sleep, if they're locked in until they lose?

Don't you think a Fire Marshal or some other bureaucrat might have something to say about stuffing all those bodies into the Superduper Rink during the first 3-4 rounds?

hehehehe :lol:
Buy ya a soda after the game!
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Roy01 wrote:

-live streams

Except you can't play on Sundays and teams finding travel accommodations in a matter of hours would be absurd...

Granted, I understand the slight sarcasm in the proposal, but I don't understand why so many have an issue with the two-class system. I don't believe a one-class system would solve any issues.
You ... get out of my country.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Ogie wrote:

-live streams

LMAO! :lol:

Borderline genius, but I recognize a couple of kinks in the proposal:

Where are the winning teams supposed to sleep, if they're locked in until they lose?
plenty of room under the bleachers, hallways, etc. I'm picturing stacking them up like cordwood. That's part of the charm, hunger games my ass.
This is HOCKEY GAMES!
Ogie wrote:Don't you think a Fire Marshal or some other bureaucrat might have something to say about stuffing all those bodies into the Superduper Rink during the first 3-4 rounds?
You seem to forget, the fire marshall works for me now.